The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Dan-dan-dan-dan-dan-dan[/CENTER]
Spoilers!
Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Video Monster

I've never so much as touched Chrono Cross, but I did used to have the whole OST on several CD-Rs stashed in the center console of my car. And I still have the opening theme in my head.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:42 PM
the :motion: stands

Chrono Cross is an amazing soundtrack that only misses perfection by 2 songs, 1 of which is unfortunately the most-heard song in the game.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Not a Beer

Positronic missed me in the post stats, but I also had Chrono Cross as my #1. Just a fucking fantastic collection of music. My first pick was also Time's Scar, which is just breathtaking. But just to have something different, my notes also called out Ancient Dragon Stronghold which, like the Tyrano Lair before it, deftly combines the mystical with the funky.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:57 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Man, only five left. And I feel like they would have to be FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Katamari Damacy and Undertale.
If Street Fighter 2 doesn't get a showing, meaning it's not on the list at all, I'm seriously going to have to question Talking Time's taste in video game music. What a glaring omission that would be.

I had Chrono Cross at #9. "Dream of a Shore Bordering Another World" is a stand out track, the greatness of "Time's Scar" notwithstanding.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I just want to say thanks for the honorable mention entries -- keeping the list fresh even when the rest of the list is locked in.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:17 PM
TARANTUL

Honestly surprised Chrono Cross is this low!
Old 10-09-2017, 03:26 PM
graffiti programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Man, only five left. And I feel like they would have to be FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Katamari Damacy and Undertale.
Without diving too deep in here that would mean that per four-so Street Fighter 2 doesn't make it, and neither does anything from the entire Sonic the Hedgehog series, which would shock me.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozacrot View Post
Without diving too deep in here that would mean that per four-so Street Fighter 2 doesn't make it, and neither does anything from the entire Sonic the Hedgehog series, which would shock me.
Yeah, but it'd be less shocking than any of the ones I mentioned, really. I suppose SF 2 could show instead of Katamari or Undertale, but I would be surprised.

It's also pretty obvious now that nothing from the Souls series is going to place, which is also fairly surprising. So there's going to be a couple of glaring omissions regardless of what the top 4 ends up being.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Binglebottom

It's hard for me to think of many other modern Japanese game scores that are more rote and overwrought than the Dark Souls series' soundtracks. Sakuraba ran out of steam even in his more natural setting of prog-rock years ago; moving over to the Serious Mold of atonal cinematic music only made the lack of ideas more obvious. Kitamura's contributions weren't much better. Even Gwyn's theme is fairly lackluster, and really only stands out in the context of almost all of the other boss themes being oatmeal-flavored piles of muddy bombast.

Demon's Souls' score is pretty good, though!

And shout-out to Yuji Takenouchi for writing the theme for Dark's file select/character creation screen. Best track in the game, by far.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:19 PM
King Of Space-Time

I knew I was going to be an outlier on this list...
Old 10-09-2017, 05:19 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I DID IT

I WAS THE WIND ALL ALONG
Is that your true form!? *despairs*

Symphony was another instance where I had a hard time picking a top track (but not the hardest). Also, a lot of different translations seem to be floating around for the song titles.

My picks were:
dance of illusions / Illusionary Dance, dance of pales / waltz of pearls, dracula's castle, finale toccata, lost painting(s), prologue, the tragic prince, wandering ghosts and wood carving partita.

Speaking of that last one and interesting covers - here is a guy playing it on two pianos at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Honestly surprised Chrono Cross is this low!
Maybe I'm to blame for that. I had it at #25.

As consolation here is Time's Scar being performed by an orchestra.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Bob

Dammit, I wanted to have a blurb on my #1 (((((

I'll sit down and talk about some of the entries that were on my list (along with covers because you know me, I can't help myself) soon.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:45 PM

I would have really assumed silent hill 2 to show up, and yall are wrong for having so many ff but not v. (not to assume neither are showing up, but I wanna join in on the speculation)

anyway, I haven't played chono cross, and have sorta purposefully been waiting to play it to actually hear most of the music, so I've got nothing. But I love what I've heard, and sublime would be a major understatement.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:18 PM
who's she

I'm a few days late but this thread needs the Wonderswan version of FFIV:

Old 10-10-2017, 12:12 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I'm a few days late but this thread needs the Wonderswan version of FFIV:

Holy shitballs this is amazing.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Man, Chrono Cross at #5. What are we...what are we doing here? I have a feeling these last four entries are going to be a bloodbath.

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are probably shoe-ins. Knowing this crowd, Katamari Damacy is as well. Quake hasn't shown up yet, right? How has Quake not shown up? If it hasn't, I'm guessing Quake.

Ha, I'm kidding, Talking Time doesn't give a shit about classic PC games. It's gonna be Rez.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Find Your Reason

I'm pulling for Adventures of Lolo or Bayou Billy, myself.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Guys the real #1 is obviously Pong.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Odd as it is to say, I'm actually surprised to see Chrono Cross this low; I would've thought it a shoe-in for the top three. I had it at #2, at any rate. It's a masterpiece.

I voted for "Time's Scar" because I love the strum of an acoustic guitar. My other main favourites have been covered already, so here's a couple I think are underappreciated: "Gaea's Navel" and "Hydra Marshes".
Old 10-10-2017, 09:39 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

My top 10 has been represented at some point or another with the exception of Soul Blazer, which I knew was a long shot.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#4 — Undertale
391 points • 15 mentions • Highest rank: #2 (DRAGON FRIEND, Issun)

Featured Track:

Hopes and Dreams

HomeDating Start!Spear of Justice

Composed by:

Toby Fox

Platform: PC • Release date: September 15, 2015
Leitmotif: The Video Game

Undertale has elicited many comparisons to Cave Story, namely in that they're both indie darlings with a retro aesthetic made entirely by one person (well, mostly— Undertale did have a few guest artists). Mostly I find it a bit surface level, but it is interesting that both Pixel and Toby Fox had outsider approaches to their music.

Toby Fox is a self-taught musician, and that informed his composition process in several ways: finding trackers too complex, he used FruityLoops (hardly an industry standard), and used free soundfonts and synths for sound. Combined with Fox's own nerdery, several songs come across as winking homages: like "The Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans", with its distinct Mega Man X sound. It's a fairly "amateur" approach, but I don't mean that in a bad way; it's just interesting to note.

The most interesting thing about the composition, though, is how Fox re-uses themes again and again, in remixed or tempo-shifted variations. Sometimes they're obvious ("Nyeh Heh Heh" to "Bonetrousle"), sometimes it's more subtle incorporation ("Death by Glamour" working in bits of Mettatron's other themes), and sometimes it's only learned when playing when playing around with the track speeds. But no matter how it's done, it lends a real cohesion and purposefulness to the soundtrack; and that it sent players scrambling to discover them all only added to the whole culture of mining Undertale for its secrets.

But one hardly needs to recognize the leitmotifs to appreciate Undertale's music, because it's a fine example of a modern chiptune soundtrack. The battle themes get particular attention, and it's not hard to see why: Undertale truly has a knack for them. Each boss has a unique theme, not only in the sense that it only plays there but also in the sense that they differ wildly. "Bonetrousle" (vs Papyrus) has a bouncy rhythm and underlying silliness; "Spear of Justice" (vs Undyne) is an intense theme, with its pounding drums making it sound like— to quote Fox— "being heroically punched in the face"; "Metal Crusher" (vs Mettatron) is the sound of disk drives screaming in agony; "Death by Glamour" (vs Mettatron EX) is a glam rock pastiche. I could be here all day just listing the battle themes, really. I'd wager that most players have gone back and forth over which songs are their favourites; I know I have.

Still, while the battle themes are by and away the most popular, it's worth remembering that Undertale's other music is just as good and just as varied. "Dating Start!" is a cute ditty that wouldn't be out of place in an adventure game; "Home" is a warm blanket and cup of hot chocolate; "Another Medium" is a mysterious, bleeping electronic piece, in a rare atmospheric turn; and "Undertale", with its sad guitar, is just heartrending.

It’s the end.

But it refused.

The featured track is "Hopes and Dreams", the first phase of the final boss of the True Pacifist Route. I said earlier about how Undertale has a knack for its battle themes, and this is a fantastic example of it. The song opens on a pair of violins to set the tone, before breaking out the synth work, quietly backed by a chugging guitar. Periodically, the balance shifts, with the synth taking the backseat to the guitar, or the violin coming more into focus. These shifts reflect the back-and-forth of the battle— and the worry and doubt that maybe things aren't going to work out. The final battle is an extremely emotional moment of the game, and this song is a huge part of why.

Of course, because this is Undertale, it's not a wholly unique song; in fact, it's a remix of "Once Upon a Time", with "Your Best Friend" worked in. Nor is it the last appearance, getting a rockier reprise in the second phase of the fight as "SAVE the World".

~ conchobhar

Last edited by conchobhar; 10-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
I mean I think it more or less captures Alucard's feelings at the end of the game, that he does not belong in the world and must disappear.
Dunno, I don't think Kenny G in the background matches Alucard's feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Odd as it is to say, I'm actually surprised to see Chrono Cross this low; I would've thought it a shoe-in for the top three. I had it at #2, at any rate.
+1.

The reason why I had it at #2 it's because I'm listening more to P5 nowadays. If I had know how the ranking would end up, I would have kicked it to #1 - it tied with Undertale, and only the number of mentions broke the tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Positronic missed me in the post stats, but I also had Chrono Cross as my #1.
Ooops, my mistake. I double checked and the points are correct, I just forgot to copy Kirin's name into the appropiate field. That's been fixed, and I apologize.

You know what that means.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:11 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

I'm pretty incredulous about Undertale ranking this high. I'll save my thoughts for now. It's not disappointing that Undertale made the list, just that it made it this high on the list.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:13 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
You know what that means.

I approve of Harry Trotter.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I'm pretty incredulous about Undertale ranking this high. I'll save my thoughts for now. It's not disappointing that Undertale made the list, just that it made it this high on the list.
popularity contest

popularity contest

popularity contest
Old 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Undertale manages to combine the loopy hummability of classic vg music with the more complex sounds of modern games. It really is a masterpiece, and managing to displace Shadow of the Colossus as my runner-up to Chrono Cross is no small feat. Like many I'm surprised it beat out CC but it certainly deserves to be in the top 5.

Hopes and Dreams is absolutely my second favorite piece of game music all time, especially when paired with Save the World.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

The music is a big part of what made Undertale so affecting. For me, at least. I had it at #7, just after Shovel Knight, but it probably could have been placed higher.

My only complaint is that the tracks on the OST only loop once, so they're so shoooooort.

Also, it's also fun identifying the soundfonts used throughout the soundtrack.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:44 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
My only complaint is that the tracks on the OST only loop once, so they're so shoooooort.
Yeah, the soundtrack release leaves much to be desired. Few tracks break the two-minute mark, and it's a 100-track behemoth without any divisions. I mean I know it's a digital release, but I would have appreciated it being sequenced as multiple discs…

I donno, maybe I just have too rigid requirements for my music listening, but I don't listen to it very often beyond a track or two.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I'm not even a big fan on Undertale, but I still think its soundtrack is one of the best of all time. Incredibly strong melodies, exceedingly listenable arrangements, good use and re-use of themes throughout, very few clunkers on the whole. It was in second place on my list and it is among the most-played music on my work computer's iTunes library.

Last edited by MCBanjoMike; 10-10-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation