The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-27-2017, 01:41 PM
Video Monster

"Dark World" is constantly playing in my head.

Maybe this doesn't have as much to do with the music, but it's interesting that it took breaking free of the general Zelda structure set forth by A Link to the Past for the series to reach a new height of greatness.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:48 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Maybe this doesn't have as much to do with the music, but it's interesting that it took breaking free of the general Zelda structure set forth by A Link to the Past for the series to reach a new height of greatness.
BotW does use at least reuse "Zelda's Lullaby", but it's subtle.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Despite its popularity among fans, "Dark World" never became a musical mainstay of the series. It took until 2004's Four Swords Adventures before "Dark World" made its second appearance, in a very reserved arrangement. But it's been on a bit of an upswing since then, appearing in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. 4 in all-new remixes. But of course, the most prominent later use of "Dark World" is in Link Between Worlds, where it serves as the field theme in Lorule. Because Lorule isn't a dark world, per se, it has a bit of a different tone to it: less mysterious, more upbeat, yet— I think— with a tinge of sadness to it. It's a great arrangement, at any rate.
I never saw this as problem. I always associated the Dark World track very firmly with that setting in LttP, unlike many of the more "general" themes in the series. It would have been weird to hear it somewhere else in the other games. It's very fitting that you needed to have a kind of a return to the Dark World, the location, to have a return to "Dark World", the song.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Not a Beer

I love the songs in LttP - but ended up not voting for it, as I find myself gravitating more to later arrangements of the same melodies. On a longer list it would have made it anyway. It was definitely a fantastic achievement at the time.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:53 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
I never saw this as problem. I always associated the Dark World track very firmly with that setting in LttP, unlike many of the more "general" themes in the series. It would have been weird to hear it somewhere else in the other games. It's very fitting that you needed to have a kind of a return to the Dark World, the location, to have a return to "Dark World", the song.
I agree. I didn't mean to present it as a problem, just an observation, since so many of LttP's songs became standards.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:24 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Link to the Past was #5 on my list so I guess I like it nearly but not quite as much as Healy.

I was not able to pick a favorite track but I did narrow the race down* to four:
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Hyrule Field
  • The Dark World

and
Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I'm personally quite fond of the tune for the mountain and forest in the dark world, or as I like to call it "I find your lack of farts disturbing"
Black Mist

*This is a recurring theme for me. With varying values for x.

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 09-27-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

LttP is a great soundtrack and it hurt to leave it off my 25.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I know there are people that prefer the first Suikoden's music over the second's, but I didn't realize there were so many. I just don't see it, as I feel both II and V have better soundtracks.

I'm surprised Streets of Rage 2 isn't higher.
Suikoden V does have the better song of the series (The Great Arts)*. But yeah, i think Suikoden II and V have better musical moments, but overall i prefer the soundtrack to the first game (and the first game in general!), and that's why i voted for it. I've never played Suikoden III and IV - i wonder if the music is good.

I've never played Persona 5, but i'm a fan of Shoji Meguro, especially his work on Digital Devil Saga. Also love FFVII soundtrack - my second favorite from the series. And Link to the Past soundtrack? I'm too familiar with it to judge it. I've finished it so many times...!

* Yeah, the music is annoying, and it fits Haud so perfectly.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurumin View Post
I've never played Suikoden III and IV - i wonder if the music is good.
A. Suikoden III was the only Suikoden game that I voted for in this list (Suikoden I was a last-minute cut), so I certainly think so! I doubt it ranked, though (or I wouldn't be typing this).
B. You should play Suikoden III!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:09 AM
Bob

I'll cough up to being one of the Final Fantasy VII voters, but unlike most people it was my highest (and only) Final Fantasy on my list, mostly because I tried to keep each series to a single game (with one exception), and I'm mostly exposed to Final Fantasy music through their most famous songs and covers... so I'm incredibly partial to Aerith's Theme and Lifestream (check out this cover from Game Music Lullabies, one of my favorites from their series of covers, also warning, that's a Spotify link), along with Cosmo Canyon (this one from Square Enix's Brass de Bravo series). I like the synthy sound of the soundtrack, and I have to agree it doesn't really suffer from its limitations!

NieR: Automata is a soundtrack I could have voted for, but didn't for reasons I'll probably get into later. When I first heard Weight of the World, I wasn't too impressed. Sounded a little cheesy to my ears. But after repeated listenings and seeing it in context, it works incredibly well, and each version of the song is very powerful (but J'Nique Nicole does it best, for sure). There are other standouts like City Ruins, Peaceful Sleep (I mean, the music box version at the end of the song is sweet). The whole soundtrack is solid. Definitely happy to see it at this rank on the list.

Persona 5 I haven't played yet, but I love love love jazz in video games, and there are a few songs I've heard that nail the vibe perfectly. Can't wait to hear these during a playthrough. Beneath the Mask is certainly one of my favorites.

Link to the Past has a number of unforgettable tunes. I'm not surprised it's popular, but I don't feel like it quite reaches the rarefied air that some of the soundtracks in this tier are hitting! But make no mistake, the soundtrack itself is a classic.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:38 AM
-ryn

I haven't played Persona 5 and I'm not as familiar with its music, but the opening track is one I do know and I love it. I really like the P3 and P4 music so I'm sure I'd like P5 also and I can't wait to listen to more of it.

LttP is not a game I have nostalgia of as I didn't have an SNES back in the day. there are other zelda games that I was more interested in voting for. It definitely deserves credit for inspiring one of my favorite zelda songs though...
Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
A. Suikoden III was the only Suikoden game that I voted for in this list (Suikoden I was a last-minute cut), so I certainly think so! I doubt it ranked, though (or I wouldn't be typing this).
B. You should play Suikoden III!
It is one of the few games you can play one-handed.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Out Of Warranty

#20 — Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 /
Persona 4 Golden

184 points • 7 mentions • Highest rank: #3 (Positronic Brain)

Featured Track:

Reach Out To The Truth

Heartbeat, HeartbreakSigns of LoveSnowflakesYour Affection

Composed by:

Shoji Meguro
Atsushi Kitajoh
Ryota Koduka

Platform: PS2/ Vita (Golden) • Release date: July 10, 2008 / June 14 2012 (Golden)
Bear with me fur beary great music

Yes, another Persona game. I too am surprised they ended up this close together. FYI, we’ve grouped the original Persona 4 with its port Persona 4 Golden - the later does have some extra tracks for a few extra scenes (including a new opening and a new background song “Snowflakes”), but it still is the same soundtrack.

Take everything I said about Persona 5 and it applies to Persona 4: a cohesive soundtrack full of personality. Two differences , though: P4 wasn’t as ambitious in scope, so it has fewer tracks, and it is less somber. I think it is also a bit more, well, game-y, but as always your mileage may vary.

In P4, Meguro’s fondness for jazz and hip-hop stray directly into j-pop. You’d think that the cheery and peppy tune of most songs wouldn’t fit into a story that is mainly about a supernatural serial killer set loose in a rural japan town, but the game itself is more Scooby Doo than Stephen King’s It, so they match perfectly.

So while you’re exploring the small town of Inaba you’ll be doing it with songs like “Heartbeat, Heartbreak, “Signs of Love” and “Your Affection”. Yes, they all talk about love and loss sung by by Shihoko Hirata in the most cheeriest possible way - but all of them are about recognizing changes and accepting a new reality. Since the theme of the game is “truth” (about the world, about yourself) this is very fitting. In fact, the main leitmotiv of the soundtrack is titled “I’ll Face Myself” and it plays when the characters reach a new understanding about themselves.

But when you leave your small town and slide into the darker, more dangerous TV Dimension, the soundtrack changes to match. Here we get songs like the disturbing “Backside of the TV”, or the retro-ish “Game”. And it’s here where you will hear the boss theme, a rocking version of “I’ll Face Myself” appropriately titled “I’ll Face Myself ~ Battle” (also available in an 8-bit version in Golden).

Our featured track is precisely the regular battle song, “Reach Out To The Truth”. With the theme of the game right there in its title, it is a true rock anthem with, yes, lyrics. The very first time you hear it it opens with a simple guitar riff, easing you into battle. But in every encounter after that it will open directly into the main verse before the electric guitar takes over. We are here to fight, the music says, so get down to it already.

I will mention one more track, which I think is one of the best dungeon tracks ever - “Heaven”. A song about days gone by, it fits its dungeon perfectly. Listening to this song for the first time in its proper context is one of my fondest gaming memories.

Oh, and I learned while researching for this that the composer of the earworm known as “Theme of Junes” wasn’t Mr. Meguro, but rather his collaborator Rota Koduka. So that’s one less sin off Shoji Meguro’s back.

~ Positronic Brain
Old 09-28-2017, 11:16 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

I voted for A Link To The Past. Such a great OST. I picked "Lost Woods" as my favorite tune; there's something light and whimsical and magical about it. It was a standout track when I first played the game and it still brings a smile to my face whenever I revisit the game.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

#19 — Mega Man X
187 points • 8 mentions • Highest rank: #8 (Rascally Badger)

Featured Track:

Sigma Stage 1

Spark MandrillerStorm EagleedBoomer Kuwanger
Opening StageCast Roll

Composed by:

Setsuo Yamamoto
Makoto Tomozawa
Yuki Iwai
Yuko Takehara
Toshihiko Horiyama

Platform: Super Nintendo • Release date: December 17, 1993
Burnin’ like a Noumander

When Mega Man made the jump to the Super Nintendo, series producer Keiji Inafune took the opportunity to radically retool the series. It would be set in the far future; it would be more story-driven; it would touch on ethical questions. In short, it would be darker and more mature (for a given level of each). The music, naturally, would follow suit.

Music duties were handled by primarily Setsuo Yamamoto. Yamamoto was a new hire at Capcom and not familiar with the Mega Man series before his assignment, so he quickly immersed himself in the series to prepare… only to discover that Mega Man X was to be quite different. Yamamoto was probably relieved not to have such expectations hanging over him; indeed, he ultimately "didn't try to ape the musical world of the previous games". I said "primarily" because Yamamoto was aided by several members of Capcom's house band late in production to ensure the soundtrack would be completed in time. Each only contributed one song, except for Makoto Tomozawa, who contributed two. Tomozawa is worth singling out, though, as his two tracks are some of the game's very best: "Spark Mandriller" and "Storm Eagleed". But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Right from the title screen, you can see the fruits of Yamamoto's labour. Rather than the beeps and boops that so defined Mega Man to that point, the player is greeted by a wailing electric guitar and thundering bassline. This continues into the blazing "Opening Stage", an invigorating opener if there ever was one. The departure becomes even clearer on the stage select screen, trading in the usual cheery upbeat tones for a pounding theme sure to get the player pumped up.

The meat of the soundtrack, of course, is the level themes, and they do not disappoint, delivering on the sound while always keeping it fresh. "Launcher Octopuld" and "Boomer Kuwanger" combine funky basslines with harsh orchestral hits, though— in the context of this soundtrack— they come across more like excited bursts of energy. "Icy Penguigo" leans more heavily on the synths, giving it a chillier sound; while "Burnin' Noumander", with its steady drums and bassline is the very sound of determination. "Storm Eagleed" has a strong drive and the best riff in the game. And of course, there's perennial fan favourite "Spark Mandriller", with its boisterous start, screeching guitar and intense drums— drums so good they even merit their own solo.

The featured track is "Sigma Stage 1", which— as you might guess— plays in the first stage of Sigma's fortress. It has a sound I'd describe as "heroic, but muted". It's got a great drive to it, and it has these flourishes throughout… and yet, it's quiet and never breaks out into a rousing anthem. There's something quiet about it, as if— now at Sigma's front door— X is being to worry, beginning to doubt himself and whether he really has what it takes. It is perhaps no coincidence that this stage leads up to a rematch with Vile, the maverick who bested X in the intro stage… and that "Sigma Stage 2" is more confident.

Plus, you can't beat that slap bass.

~ conchobhar
Old 09-28-2017, 12:12 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurumin View Post
Suikoden V does have the better song of the series (The Great Arts)*. But yeah, i think Suikoden II and V have better musical moments, but overall i prefer the soundtrack to the first game (and the first game in general!), and that's why i voted for it. I've never played Suikoden III and IV - i wonder if the music is good.

I've never played Persona 5, but i'm a fan of Shoji Meguro, especially his work on Digital Devil Saga. Also love FFVII soundtrack - my second favorite from the series. And Link to the Past soundtrack? I'm too familiar with it to judge it. I've finished it so many times...!

* Yeah, the music is annoying, and it fits Haud so perfectly.
Suiko 3 has my favorite track in the whole series, the grasslands theme.

of course, the version from the celtic album, played on accordion, is just better.

And god, i can't believe i forgot the vocal collection version of Withered Earth from suiko 2

Or the acapella harmony version of Currents

But that's not what we were talking about! No, you brought up suikoden 4, which has an absolutely fabulous soundtrack inspired by Italy and the height of the Venetian Mercantile empire. Lots of accordions, piratey music, and classic renaissance style themes. And a fucking fabulous opening theme that belies how unpleasant the game itself was. If they had only lowered the encounter rate by like 200%!

Old 09-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Burnin' like a Noumander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post

Burnin’ like a Noumander

Megaman X is absolutely a favourite. Glad to see it on the list. My favourite would definitely have to be Boomer Kuwanger. It's so exciting and beautiful...of course, Burnin' Noumander, Spark Mandriller and others are also great. But Boomer Kuwanger will always be #1 in my heart.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM
-ryn

Mega Man X. Now we're talking. As stated previously, I didn't have an SNES, but I had a friend who did and the game he had was Mega Man X. I had played 1-3 and 5 and owned 3 so, I was pretty familiar with Megaman, but this was something totally different. And the music was a HUGE part of that. the title screen kicks it of with a great beat that pumps you up. then a great opening stage. The write up is exactly on point for MMX. The sounds of that game really defined the transition for me from NES to SUPER NES.

For a great medley, I'm a big fan of FamilyJules
I voted for MMX and Storm Eagle as my favorite song.

Persona 4 was the persona I voted for on my personal list. I really like the opening and several other songs. Having listened to 5 some at this point I really like both. I haven't played too much of the game, but the music is one of my favorites to put on at work.

I voted for "I'll Face Myself - Battle" as my favorite track. (which is saying something b/c that song has been the soundtrack to my being walloped and quitting in frustration more than once)
Old 09-28-2017, 12:43 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

Armor Armadillo is the best track. But then it has to be because you'll be hearing it, what, 6+ times over the course of a 100% clear?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
suikoden 4, which has... a fucking fabulous opening theme
'Tis a fine barn, but sure 'tis no Exceeding Love.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

X was on my list, though not my highest rated Mega Man game. I also voted Storm Eagle for the sheer Rock Your Fucking Face Off factor.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
'Tis a fine barn, but sure 'tis no Exceeding Love.
i love this song so goddamned much.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Outer Spacean

Persona 4 was in my top 10. I adore that soundtrack.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:39 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Since V has been mostly absent from the Suikoden music discussion, here's some great tracks from that game:

Opening

Town on a River

A Mighty Enemy (Boss Theme)

Holy Land

A City Sealed Within the Earth

And my personal favorite: A Power Like the Sun
Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Not a Beer

I also voted for Suiko III, lots of good stuff in there (I too love Grasslands, and Transcending Love, also the opening town theme The Wind and The Earth).

And while it didn't quite make my list, I also had Suikoden V in my draft with both the Wind of Phantom opening and Queen's Knights, which got a cool weird remix on the bonus CD that came with the first edition.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Out Of Warranty

#18 — The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
190 points • 8 mentions • Highest rank: #1 (Bulgakov)

Featured Track:

Forest Temple

Gerudo ValleyHyrule FieldZelda's Lullaby
Song of StormsTitleBattle With Ganon

Composed by:

Koji Kondo

Platform: Nintendo 64 • Release date: November 21, 1998
← ↑ → ← ↑ →

Yes, the classic Zelda overworld theme is not in this soundtrack.

That’s it, that’s the main drawback, if you can call it that, because everything else in this soundtrack is delightful and fresh, a real masterwork. For Zelda’s polygonal debut, Koji Kondo tried to get away from the traditional Zelda songs and, while some classic themes are still in the soundtrack (like “Zelda's Lullaby”), he doesn’t bother retreading past ground, instead composing an almost cinematic score with just a slight connections to past installments.

There are two things I love about this soundtrack. One is how it sounds familiar from the get go by flirting with familiar motifs without reusing the original songs - this is strongly in display in “Hyrule Field”, where you can pick some notes of Zelda’s traditional theme but it always goes in a different direction from what you’d expect.

The other thing I like is how Nintendo managed to make Kondo’s songs part of the gameplay - you learn how to play a few of the notes of some important themes in your Ocarina by pressing buttons matching to notes. This marriage of gameplay and sound, although it is obviously missing in the soundtrack itself, does a lot to endear you to the main themes.

While dungeon themes tend to be atmospheric, there are some amazing melodies in here. For example, lthe guitar in “Gerudo Valley” is nothing short of beautiful, or the whimsical “Song of Storms”, which is a lot joyful than what his name suggests.

Our featured track is “Forest Temple”, which is a nice example of how atmospheric Ocarina of Time can get. There’s a melody in there, behind the percussion and the weird flute-like instrument that progressively takes over until it dominates the track. Is unsettling, almost nightmarish, but also eerily beautiful.

~Positronic Brain
Old 09-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Not a Beer

Interesting - this is another one where I gravitate to the remixes (mostly from Smash and so on), but clicking on some on these links... I'm pretty sure I've never even heard some of these songs in their original instrumentation even though I'm familiar with most of the tunes. Huh.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Ocarina was my only Zelda vote at #25, which says more about how much good game music is out there than how I feel about Zelda music.

All five adult dungeons in OoT have fantastic music, but like I said after Wind Waker, I especially love the odder, more unsettling dungeon themes. Unsurprisingly then, Forest Temple is my favorite track in the entire series.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:23 PM

I didn't vote for OoT, but Forest Temple is definitely the right choice for featured track. Basically just going to echo Issun; the adult dungeons are mostly a collection of really great ambiance and I do totally dig them
Old 09-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Out Of Warranty

#17 — Mega Man 3
195 points • 9 mentions • Highest rank: #6 (Issun)

Featured Track

Proto Man

Spark ManSnake ManNeedle Man
Hard ManStage SelectTop Man
Gemini ManMagnet ManShadow Man

Wily Fortress 1Wily Fortress 2Boss Battle

Composed by:

Yasuaki Fujita
Harumi Fujita

Platform: NES • Release date: September 28, 1990
Better than Mega Man 2

I don’t know what to say. The Mega Man soundtracks are iconic - they were produced in the middle of the NES golden age, when Capcom could do no wrong.

For me, Mega Man 3 is the Mega Man soundtrack. The existence of the series was a hushed secret in the halls of my school - that mysterious games where you could steal the bosses weapons and use them against other bosses! How cool was that? So when that Christmas my cousin got Mega Man 3 for Christmas, we spend the entire day going through every single level, and that rocking chiptune music seared itself into my brain.

You guys basically mentioned every song in the track while voting, so I added them up there. A few highlights, though. “Top Man” is the one I remember the most because it’s the stage I tackle first, although I’ve heard some people prefer to start with “Snake Manand those memorable opening notes. “Magnet Man” is more mellow, but the bridge has a beautiful example of Capcom’s mastery of the NES channels to create a very layered texture. “Shadow Man” is a more traditional Mega Man stage theme that has two synths playing against each other as a payoff. “Boss Battle” starts with a crescendo that almost sounds too ambitious for the NES hardware that fades into a very urgent battle theme.

Our featured track is “Proto Man”. Only the opening notes are heard through most of the game - they are very hard to forget, as that whistle melody is all the warning you get before your brother tries to blow you into smithereens (spoilers!). When you beat the game you finally get to hear what lies beyond those first notes and it’s a hell of a payoff for getting past all those spikes you kept falling into the entire game.

~ Positronic Brain

Last edited by Positronic Brain; 10-05-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation