The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
You blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
The American port of Ys I/II on Turbo Grafx has voice acting that is alarmingly great for its time. Alan "Skeletor" Oppenheimer, Michael "Duke" Bell, many others. So many years before hiring "real" voice actors to put their talent into localization was even a thing in this country.

Just have a listen to the intro. That's Oppenheimer delivering the voice-over.
There was a lot of surprisingly great voice acting going on in games in the early nineties if you knew where to look. King's Quest VI comes to mind.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Not this. (Sorry, Gerad.)
You're not my real dad!
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
There was a lot of surprisingly great voice acting going on in games in the early nineties if you knew where to look. King's Quest VI comes to mind.
Yeah, I realize that my perspective comes mainly from console games of Japanese origin. PC games have had great voice acting for a long time. It took a long time for localization efforts to catch up to that level of quality.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Whoever said that there'd be no chiptunes on this list... hahaha. I'm pretty sure a lot of the later entries on this list are going to be chiptune, just like the songs that came after your lament! But I'll go ahead and lament that I have a feeling that a lot of my favorite picks won't show up unless I knew they were popular, which is a shame, as I've only seen one game I've voted for so far. Although I have a sneaking suspicion I know a few from my list that will be close to the top...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all have a pretty good handle of what to expect in the top 10, or the very least the top 5.

I've yet to see anything I voted for show up. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE. (j/k)
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

Stop tempting me into posting spoilers. Plsokthnxbye!
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

All Ys games have a great OST after all. I didn't really want to vote for so many titles of the same series and I had a hard time deciding for one, so I simply picked the Ys game that has one of my top 5 songs of all time. (It's not one of the first three.)
But thinking about it, Ys III probably has the best overall OST.

I had a similar issue with Touhou. Could easily put 10 OSTs of that series in my top 25.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
I can see how Suikoden II made it onto this list, but to be honest I'm not really liking it too much better than earlier entries. Not a huge fan of the instruments/tracks used, but as usual I bet it works really well in context and I just don't have that context.
While I'm biased due to how highly I appreciate the Suikoden soundtracks, I really don't think it's just the context. I know someone who didn't like the games all that much, but he recorded the music from the game just to listen it outside the game, because it was just that good.

If anything, I think one of the strengths in Suikoden music is how it sidesteps game music conventions. It lies somewhere between film music and game music, in that it sets an atmosphere instead of just trying to sound "fun" or "energetic" or even "sad" or whatever. But it's also not just background music tied to a specific scene, like film music usually is.

Suikoden music sets the scene for itself. It doesn't need the game, but the game itself is enhanced by it. It's the kind of music where you hear it in the game, and you go beyond what's displayed on the screen, thinking of the world and its surroundings.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

I saw a leaked list and #1 was crazy bus
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
While I'm biased due to how highly I appreciate the Suikoden soundtracks, I really don't think it's just the context. I know someone who didn't like the games all that much, but he recorded the music from the game just to listen it outside the game, because it was just that good.

If anything, I think one of the strengths in Suikoden music is how it sidesteps game music conventions. It lies somewhere between film music and game music, in that it sets an atmosphere instead of just trying to sound "fun" or "energetic" or even "sad" or whatever. But it's also not just background music tied to a specific scene, like film music usually is.

Suikoden music sets the scene for itself. It doesn't need the game, but the game itself is enhanced by it. It's the kind of music where you hear it in the game, and you go beyond what's displayed on the screen, thinking of the world and its surroundings.
what a great post. i wish i'd included this in my write up.
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#28 — Okami
124 points • 5 mentions • Highest rank: #3 (WildcatJF)

Featured Track:

The Sun Rises

Ryoshima PlainsKamiki Village

Composed by:

Masami Ueda
Hiroshi Yamaguchi
Rei Kondoh
Akari Groves
JUN

Platform: Playstation 2 • Release date: April 20, 2006
Shaggy god story

Scoring Okami was a massive undertaking for lead composer Masami Ueda. Up to this point, Ueda's experience was in composing for Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, which— in Ueda's own words— were pretty straightforward: "something scary and creepy [for] Resident Evil" and "something upbeat and cool [for] Devil May Cry". But where do you even begin with a facsimile of traditional Japanese music? That's a style Ueda has never worked in, but he was determined to do it right. His initial research lead him to film soundtracks and artists' albums, but he found these too modern and clean for what he envisioned; instead, Ueda found inspiration from "CDs of children's songs available at knock-down prices". This would be more of an influence than anticipated: discovering that several traditional children's songs had overseas origins, it freed him from feeling like he had to be exactingly authentic and allowed him to do make use of foreign instruments, melodies and scales so long as it still "sound[ed] Japanese-styled".

The result is that Okami's soundtrack is much like its sumi-e art style: it's striking, it's perfectly suited to the game, and there's nothing else quite like it. While working within such a limiting framework could have lent itself to being same-y, predictably and tiresome, Ueda and Yamaguchi cleverly avoid this while still being true to the theme by aiming for emotional variety instead of instrumental or stylistic variety. Okami runs the gamut from energetic and adventurous ("Ryoshima Plains"), soothing and inviting ("Kamiki Village"), mysterious and suspicious ("Granny Bokusen's Theme"), ethereal and enchanting ("Dragon Palace") to the downright magical ("Constellation"). That Ueda and Yamaguchi managed to do so much with restrictions is a real show of their talent.

The featured track is "The Sun Rises", the final boss theme. Even as someone who was pretty down on Okami by the end, I couldn't help but get swept up in this song. The way that it kicks in in the final form, right as Ammy regains the power of the Shiranui makes for a truly magical moment. It's such a rush that the boss fight barely even registers; you hear this song and you know you've already won. This is the game celebrating Ammy and showcasing her courage and strength one final time before the game ends. Truly a remarkable finale.

~ conchobhar
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#27 — Skies of Arcadia
132 points • 5 mentions • Highest rank: #2 (Mr Bean)

Featured Track:

Blue Rogues' Theme

DelphinusKingdom of Ixa'taka

Composed by:

Yutaka Minobe
Tatsuyuki Maeda

Platforms: Dreamcast, Gamecube • Release date: October 5, 2000
Arcadia Fire

Skies of Arcadia is another game I haven't really played; I rented it once, but I didn't get very far (naturally), and never managed to find a copy later on. But! The music made a big enough impression on me at the time that I downloaded the soundtrack not long after, and have listened to it irregularly ever since. So while I don't have the context supplied by the game, I'd like to think I'm not completely ignorant on it.

Skies of Arcadia was composed by two people: Tatsuyuki Maeda, a Sega veteran whose career was mostly associated with Sonic but with ample experience elsewhere; and Yutaka Minobe, a relative newcomer with only a few composition credits under his belt. In spite of the gulf of experience, Minobe was the lead composer, writing the bulk of the music and working closely with the developers to ensure his score would suit the game. Skies of Arcadia has a proper dynamic soundtrack, adjusting on the fly to match the player's situation; for instance, the various world map themes bring in different instruments to represent different, and boss battles become more triumphant or more bleak depending on how well the player does.

The dynamic music is a great touch, but the soundtrack is a delight even without it. Opening on the aptly-named "Opening Theme", and right away it tells the player what kind of game they're in for. Soaring and majestic, it promises the player an exciting adventure is just around the corner. It sticks in my mind as an iconic game theme, even though I know it doesn't actually have that reputation.

The rest of the soundtrack isn't orchestrated but MIDI, though it hardly comes out worse for it. The music of Skies of Arcadia is, in a word, adventure. It's upbeat, catchy and light, and exactly the kind of music that inspires adventure for adventure's sake. Compared to something like Ys, which is very exciting, Arcadia is more laid-back and joyous, like it just wants to share the wonders of the world with you. This tendency is obviously most prominent in its world map themes (such as "Delphinus"), but it can be gleamed in dungeons ("Dungeon Cave"— have you ever heard such a pleasant cave?) and even battles ("Battle 1").

Being an RPG, Skies of Arcadia takes the player all across the world to all kinds of different locales, which naturally brings some musical variety with it. Each town theme is loaded with character and imagery; again, I never got very far in the game, but with the middle-eastern flair of "Nasrad", the pounding jungle beats of "Ixa'taka", or the accordion sea-shanty of "Sailor's Island", I nevertheless feel like I know these areas inside and out.

With such a diverse soundtrack, it's no surprise that Tyrants couldn't agree on a favourite. But I've chosen to highlight "Blue Rogues' Theme". The theme of our band of heroes, it plays in triumphant, climactic moments where they launch into action, making it very memorable and exciting indeed.

Skies of Arcadia's soundtrack isn't the most daring or unique soundtrack out there, but it doesn't need to be. It's perfectly matched to its game, and it does what it needs to with grace. Few RPGs soundtracks out there can say they're more fitting or effective than Skies of Arcadia.

~ conchobhar
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

I wish they'd put Skies up on VC and/or Steam so that when I finally do get around to playing it I don't have to excavate my Dreamcast from storage.

Edit: Oh man, I missed Okami up there. Such great music. Much is made about the art style, but the Japanese tinge to a lot of the tracks really completes the aesthetic. Kamiki Village was my pick. Like Suiko 2's first HQ theme, there's a wistful calm about it that gets me right here.

The other track I was considering was Demon Lord Ninetails, a fantastic theme for my favorite boss fight in a game ever.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
It's all good, man

Okami looks so great that sometimes I forget it sounds great too. Really nice score.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I've never played either of those games.

Looks like I may have to pick up the Okami re-release in December.
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
Outer Spacean

I voted for both of these near the top of my list! Okami is brilliant. Just so much great music. And Skies too! I love them both! I'll write more elaborate thoughts later.

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation