The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Popping in my head in to say that I've taken another run at Malazan Book of the Fallen, and it's sticking this time in a way it never has before. I'm almost done with the third book, Memories of Ice, and I have all the others on my shelf just waiting.

I'm also pushing on with my read of In Search of Lost Time. I'm almost done with the second volume, Within a Budding Grove.

Any bets on which series I'll finish first?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM
meaningless [C]ode

I'm 4 chapters into the audiobook of Crash Override. It's really good- it's a very blunt and unfiltered description of everything that happened to Zoe, but it's also quite lighthearted and funny at times. Definitely recommended.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:22 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Popping in my head in to say that I've taken another run at Malazan Book of the Fallen, and it's sticking this time in a way it never has before. I'm almost done with the third book, Memories of Ice, and I have all the others on my shelf just waiting.
Cool. There's also a series of novellas about a couple wizards from that book, and a companion series by the writer's friend, and a prequel trilogy about the early Tiste society, and another prequel trilogy by the friend about the seeds of the empire.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:21 AM
Safe Space

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I haven't read Good Omens up until now.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:28 AM

With this year being the centennial of the Russian revolution, I wanted to read a few books from now to the end of the year dealing with the subject, so I'm starting with Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Masie
Old 09-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Mystery Contraption

Wound up dropping Daggerspell pretty early on; turns out Gaelic is a more difficult dialect to follow than most crazy fantasy languages I've read. Instead I read Just One Damn Thing After Another which was... A bit of a roller coaster.

The back cover, (and first half of the book, for that matter), makes it seem like a fun and breezy light sci-Fi novel, about a historical research institute that forgoes searching archeological sites and text books in favour of just using time machines to figure things out first hand. Bit more Mr. Peabody than Doctor Who.

And then a big ol' dump of trauma and drama. More so the former.

Boy, is there some heavy-duty trauma.

So much so that the attempts afterward to go back to being light and fun feels really hollow. And it keeps swapping between being light and horrible.

The Fun/Harrowing transition is the kind of trick you can really only do once in a book, and it's only supposed to go one way.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Cool. There's also a series of novellas about a couple wizards from that book, and a companion series by the writer's friend, and a prequel trilogy about the early Tiste society, and another prequel trilogy by the friend about the seeds of the empire.
When he was promoting the prequel trilogy, Erikson said that he intended it to be readable on its own. Ignoring the fact that three big bulky books is more manageable than ten and I am kind of lazy, is that actually true, or are there enough callbacks that I ought to read the BotF series first anyhow?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:20 AM
It's all good, man

Only the first two have been released, but I don't think you need to have read the original series to get them. I feel like I'm getting references I wouldn't, but I also figure the same would occur going the other way.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Better be the real thing.

I think I've arrived at the part in Don Quixote where I left off last time I tried to read it. I'd dropped it before because of a bad depressive episode--I wasn't up to finishing such a long book.

It's the part where Don Quixote and Sancho Panza puke on each other.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 PM
We just don't know.

Making headway into John Crowley's Little, Big. Really liking it so far. Finding myself reading it out loud more often than not. So far the "What if 100 Years of Solitude but instead of magical realism, just plain magical" is working for me pretty well too.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Sidenote

After playing RE4 I can't help but hear the thread title in my head in the voice of the Merchant.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 PM
-ryn

Just finished Dark Tower: Gunslinger on my continued journey through TT's top 50 books. This was the first miss for me on the list. I really didn't get it. I powered through to the end and the book would hook me at times. However for the most part, I felt like I didn't understand. I just stayed confused and at the end of the book, I still don't get it.

that was enough of the dark fantasy for a while. I'm headed back to Pratchett.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:03 PM

A Horse Walks Into A Bar by David Grossman
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Dont listen to other people's lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
Just finished Dark Tower: Gunslinger on my continued journey through TT's top 50 books. This was the first miss for me on the list. I really didn't get it. I powered through to the end and the book would hook me at times. However for the most part, I felt like I didn't understand. I just stayed confused and at the end of the book, I still don't get it.

that was enough of the dark fantasy for a while. I'm headed back to Pratchett.
No, you got. Those are bad books.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

Started reading Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, only about a hundred or so pages into it but... well...

I can tell it's going to have a recreation of the dinner-scene from Alien, except the monster is going to be farted out on the toilet.

I know this is going to happen. The foreshadowing is very clear.

I keep reading at a faster and more desperate pace just to get past this point I know is coming. I'm more apprehensive of it than I am the spooky space monsters and encroaching sense of helpless dread. I'm fine with that, it's the poop monster whose foretold coming makes me cry out in my dreams.

And that's why King is the Master of Horror.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:40 PM

How I Became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely
Old 09-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Started reading Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, only about a hundred or so pages into it but... well...

I can tell it's going to have a recreation of the dinner-scene from Alien, except the monster is going to be farted out on the toilet.

I know this is going to happen. The foreshadowing is very clear.

I keep reading at a faster and more desperate pace just to get past this point I know is coming. I'm more apprehensive of it than I am the spooky space monsters and encroaching sense of helpless dread. I'm fine with that, it's the poop monster whose foretold coming makes me cry out in my dreams.

And that's why King is the Master of Horror.
Okay... yeah... I'm tapping out.

I can deal with a lot of things from your work, Mr. King. I can deal with all the monsters and murders you write about. Fine with all the situations both spooky and emotionally taxing. Those are all things I can handle.

Anus-Xenomorphs are, apparently, the one line I can not cross.

Moving on to damn near anything else, thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Okay... yeah... I'm tapping out.

I can deal with a lot of things from your work, Mr. King. I can deal with all the monsters and murders you write about. Fine with all the situations both spooky and emotionally taxing. Those are all things I can handle.

Anus-Xenomorphs are, apparently, the one line I can not cross.

Moving on to damn near anything else, thanks.
My wife (then-girlfriend) dragged me to the horrid movie adaptation. It's a miracle our relationship survived such trauma.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Yeah, that really isn't one of Mr. King's finer works.

In the urge to get lost in a big book, with Drood by Dan Simmons
Old 09-20-2017, 01:21 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
The Rithmatist was a lot of fun. It's a YA story from Brandon Sanderson that, on its surface, is Harry Potter; a dopey kid has a distinctive scholarship at a magical school where he befriends a girl who doesn't fit in with other students and a weird faculty member, and suspects the resident overly arrogant professor-who-hates-him of a string of magic-murders.
I'm reading this right now on Octo's recommendation and, yup, it's incredibly fun. I'm still mid-book, but it has me really hooked. I had only read Sanderson's "Legion" novellas before and I really liked those too... Maybe I'll have to check his other books after I'm done with this one.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Out Of Warranty

Finished The Rithmatist and I think it's my favorite book I've read this year. And I've read some very good books this year... It was tons of fun, with well rounded characters. And Sanderson knows you've read YA books before so he twists the formula in delicious ways.

But the thing I like the best is that, unlike other novels, the ending to this one feels earned. The last chapter in particular is the culmination of the characters' journey during the book, and everything comes together beautifully - and then it ends just where it should end, even if said ending is cruel to the reader.

And now that I'm finished I find myself wanting to spend more time with the characters, which is always a good sign. Alas, the Internet has failed me as it appears that no Rithmatist fanfiction exists.

Sequel, pls!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Mystery Contraption

The lack of a sequel is especially grating since Branderson writes books like nuts. He might put Stephen King to shame for the sheer-damn-quantity of published works. And he he certainly isn't shy about sequels, or spin-offs or sequels to spinoffs.

...except for Rithmatist, which just exists in a dang vacuum!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 AM
This Guy

He's said he is working on one, but it keeps getting moved down his list of active projects.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Mystery Contraption

On the subject of Branderson, I've started re-reading Stormlight Archives in anticipation of the soon-to-be-released third book. I'm about a quarter-way through the first one.

I don't know how it came to be that I not only enjoy a door-stopper epic fantasy, but that I enjoyed it enough to read through it twice and would recommend it to others. Probably with the qualifier of "no, honestly, it's good!". Plot moves pretty briskly early on, enough that you get a firm handle on the main characters, before it settles down and heads into the nitty-gritty. The world presented is well crafted and quite dissimilar to most fantasy settings, and one characters arc is basically the fantasy equivalent of The Bad News Bears.

It's a fine book. Just one that is gargantuan.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book