The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Mystery Heroes in the Arcade. Some people don't like it but it forces you to play as someone rather than your choice
When I play (not often) this is usually my first choice.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:38 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

My preferred arcade mode is Total Mayhem. In fact, I play it so much I find it difficult to go back to playing Quickplay or Comp.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM
the :motion: stands

I absolutely love Mystery Heroes, and it's given me a pretty widespread appreciation for most of the cast. While I've learned a lot about good counters, it didn't give me much education in good synergy with teammates. My later addiction to 3v3 has helped a bit, but full team comps are still a struggle for me beyond "I guess I'm playing support or tank because McHanjimaker all instalocked."
Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Love and Peace

No game mode in Overwatch will ever teach you about synergy with your teammates because they all want to be Genji. And everyone who isn't Genji will spend the match whining to be Genji. Sometimes someone will be Big Genji (Doomfist.)

So the best you can do is queue with friends so you can take turns between being healer, tank, or whatever it was you actually want to practice/play.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Overwatch would dramatically improve if Blizzard added a lock-out that required you to play some number of matches as not-(Widowmaker, Hanzo, Genji, McCree) for every match where you spawned as one of those heroes.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:56 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I've been playing on PC for a few weeks now and, yeah, the console and PC experiences are fairly different. PC is more twitchy and quick-paced and I see far more Widowmakers and, for reasons I'm not sure about, a lot more Winstons. Console players also seem to be more inclined to fuck off and not pay attention to the objective, although that behavior is certainly not exclusive to consoles.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
for reasons I'm not sure about, a lot more Winstons.
Might be because Winston is a Widowmaker counter.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Winston is very prominent in the competitive meta, and is also a strong and easy to play counter to McGenzomaker, who tend to be over-represented by instalock mains.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:14 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

That makes sense. I don't see a lot of Widowmaker or McCree on console. They're not unknown but they don't tend to be instalocks. I'm hard-pressed to think of the instalocks on console but there's a lot of Soldier and Junkrat representation. Reinhardt is also still used to good effect on payload maps.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:27 PM
King Of Space-Time

WM and McCree both require a level of precision you don't quite get on console.

Last edited by Daikaiju; 09-11-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Is there not one thing

If you can't headshot on the run, McCree be not your hired gun
Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I've been playing on PC for a few weeks now and, yeah, the console and PC experiences are fairly different. PC is more twitchy and quick-paced and I see far more Widowmakers and, for reasons I'm not sure about, a lot more Winstons. Console players also seem to be more inclined to fuck off and not pay attention to the objective, although that behavior is certainly not exclusive to consoles.
I've spent most of my life as a console guy and I bought/built a gaming PC last year out of curiosity. I like playing around with graphics and clock settings but when it's time to ploy I'm still very much a console gamer at heart. It sounds like console Overwatch in much more my speed than PC Overwatch, but I'm not about to spend $300 for a PS4 for that when I've already poured money into my PC, which should still be very capable a few years from now.

I have a super dumb question: Would it make any sense at all for Blizzard to release console Overwatch for PC, a way for PC players to play against console players by submitting to the same constraints: only playing with a gamepad and only communicating by voice. Would I be the only customer for this silly thing and am I not a real gamer for wanting it?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:52 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I have a super dumb question: Would it make any sense at all for Blizzard to release console Overwatch for PC, a way for PC players to play against console players by submitting to the same constraints: only playing with a gamepad and only communicating by voice. Would I be the only customer for this silly thing and am I not a real gamer for wanting it?
Well, you can already played PC Overwatch with a controller if you really want to but you'll be at a disadvantage, for the most part. (Although probably not as much of a disadvantage as PC Master Race dipshits would have you believe.)

I'm pretty sure the customer base for Console Overwatch On PC would be fairly small. I wouldn't mind it either, to be honest. The game looks better and runs better on PC but after a few weeks it still feels unwieldy.

(I also don't like that I was level 350+ on console and now I'm back down to level bullshit because profiles are separate between PC and console. I honestly wouldn't mind the level thing if I could bring over all of my unlocks but noooooo.)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 AM
Sudden chomper

I played my first 60 hours of Overwatch on the PC using a controller and it was fine. I tended to stay away from classes that required a lot of precision aiming (so no Widowmaker or McCree), but otherwise I did OK. There are a few classes where the lack of mouse won't really hold you back, like Reinhardt, Lucio, Symmetra, Winston and Mercy, and a bunch of others where you can get by. I've since switched to playing at a desk and now have about 30 hours of mouse-and-keyboard Overwatch experience; while I definitely play better, it's not night-and-day or anything. Play the game however you want, it's fun!

Except when it totally isn't.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:02 AM

TBH I had a friend that played overwatch on PC with a pad exclusively. Yeah he wouldn't be any higher than gold in comp but he would do alright as hanzo or widow at times, mainly with a pad though you're best bet is using a tank, though you can do good as genji with one as well (bind jump to left trigger for best results).

Yeah, what Mike said. there are characters that you can play when you suck at aiming, and characters you can play when snipers hit you too much: the tanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

I have 30+ hours logged with Hanzo on PS4. It's much easier to do well with gamepad Hanzo than it is to do well with gamepad Widowmaker. The whole precision thing with Widowmaker gets you on console; she's one of the only characters where I have my sensitivity dialed up just so that I don't completely suck.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
It would take about thirty seconds for someone to release software allowing keyboard/mouse to spoof controller inputs, and the entire exercise will have have been rendered moot.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Love and Peace

I played with a controller for a bit while I was still mostly living out of boxes. Reinhardt is almost easier to play with a controller, except for the fact that holding down a trigger for his shield is harder on [my] hands. Lucio was also very similar to play, since this was pre-buff when you didn't have to cling to the team like glue or shoot to kill.

You will have a hard time with any hero that has an aiming component, but if controller play will make the game better for you, go for it.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Crabjörn

I have invented Roadhog Pinball.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Are you going to share?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Crabjörn

How to play Roadhog Pinball:

Apply the following settings to your Custom Game Technotron. Use the Control Preset.

Lobby:
  • Team 1 (hereafter: Ball) has 1 player.
  • Team 2 (hereafter: Bumpers) has 4 players.

Modes:
  • Disable Hero Limit.
  • Increase Capture Speed Modifier to 150%.

Maps:
Disable Ilios.

Ball:
  • Disable all heroes but Roadhog.
  • Increase Chain Hook cooldown to 150%.
  • Decrease Whole Hog ult generation to 75%.
  • Increase damage dealt to 125%.
  • Increase movement speed to 135%.
  • Turn on No Ammunition Requirement.

Bumpers:
  • Disable all heroes but Doomfist.
  • Disable all attacks except for Rocket Punch.
  • Decrease Rocket Punch cooldown to 25%.
  • Decrease damage dealt to 65%.
  • Decrease damage received to 90%.
  • Decrease movement speed to 90%.

Music:
Pinball Wizard for Bumpers, and this for Ball.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Junkertown patch is live.

Changes to Mercy and D.Va as well.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:25 PM
King Of Space-Time

And now whereas I'd pick Mercy by default, she's almost a lock-in for faster loading players. And good LORD. She's a terror in the hands of good and bad players. Good players will build that ult, rip into you as they flit about the map, and revive players left and right. Bad players will revive you in the middle of the enemy team, because they don't want to die alone(?) and feed their ult meters. Also, Mercy's revive change has brought the Spawn Camp into full being.

Tags
blizzard , blizzard money printer , fantastic butts , hot moms n dads , lgbteam fortress , overwatch