The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Yeah, Damar gets a lot more interesting toward the end of the series.

Weyoun 8: "You find the death of my predecessor terribly amusing, don't you?"
Damar: "Oh, no! You misjudge me! I miss him terribly! A toast... to Weyoun 7!"
Weyoun 8: "Have you gotten any more information out of the prisoners?"
Damar: "No. Maybe you should talk to Worf* again!"

* Worf killed the previous Weyoun
That mock-surprise in Damar's "Well, Hello!" always makes me chuckle.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:15 PM
120 Days

I also love Dukat giving Damar a pep talk. Like Dukat is venal, petty and the antichrist. But he legit loves his friend and forgave him for murdering his daughter. Unreal.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Oily Butt Thing

This maybe belongs in some animal-related thread as opposed to the Trek thread, but the Stewart household is fostering a dog and you should really have a look at the resulting twitter videos.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 AM
Out Of Warranty

The teaser and the huge wall of text that was the writer's credits guaranteed that Fridging Reunion would be a good episode. And it was! But I'm sad that all the drama came out at the expense of the fridging of a very likeable female character. It was well written, and even justified in-plot, but it feels hollow somehow, and we didn't even had the satisfaction to see that death happen on screen.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Oily Butt Thing

"HAVE YOU EVER SEEN DEATH?" fucked with me pretty good when I was ten years old.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:13 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
"HAVE YOU EVER SEEN DEATH?" fucked with me pretty good when I was ten years old.
Look. Look upon death. And remember.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:40 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

Get your Mudd shoes on!
Old 03-31-2017, 02:44 PM
120 Days

Shouldve been Paul F Tompkins!
Old 04-01-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
This either bodes extremely well, or extremely poorly for the new show.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:18 AM
Your life is forfeit

I made it halfway through "Conundrum" during yesterday's workout and it's so good! I had never heard of this episode, but I really like the way they hit reset on the cast without changing their essential personalities. Watching everyone sort out their roles was interesting — Worf amusingly asserted himself as captain, and Picard didn't press the issue... but he quietly assessed the situation and calmly came up with all the best solutions and most sensible priorities. Rather than making him look feeble or weak, it underscored the quiet, thoughtful approach he takes to command. Anyway, so far it's the series' best character study, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the episode plays out. (My guess: The Enterprise crew figures it out and saves the say.)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 AM
McBear

Yeah, especially that Commander MacDuff! Like the glue that holds the team together under pressure!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
Yeah, especially that Commander MacDuff! Like the glue that holds the team together under pressure!
Yeah, I never appreciated what a great asset MacDuff is to the crew until this episode. Up until now, he's been so easy to overlook.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I'm honestly stunned that they didn't name him Commander McGuffin. But I guess the Macbeth reference was good enough.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Eh... He's no Mr. Broccoli.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 AM
Your life is forfeit

Boy, there's a lot to unpack in the episode where future-Jean Grey empathically adapts to shape herself into future-Charles Xavier's ideal woman.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:59 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Boy, there's a lot to unpack in the episode where future-Jean Grey empathically adapts to shape herself into future-Charles Xavier's ideal woman.
Yeah, there's a ton about different meanings of consent there. I think the key is that she likes herself the most when she's with Picard and that she's the one who makes the decision to imprint on him before the marriage.

It also, of course, raises the question of how fucking enlightened the Federation really is if it can sign off on a peace treaty brokered by treating a woman as literal chattel
Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
Yeah, there's a ton about different meanings of consent there. I think the key is that she likes herself the most when she's with Picard and that she's the one who makes the decision to imprint on him before the marriage.

It also, of course, raises the question of how fucking enlightened the Federation really is if it can sign off on a peace treaty brokered by treating a woman as literal chattel
Prime Directive is bullshit.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
Maybe, but it could also mean that she's been programmed and conditioned to respond to the strongest male personalities she encounters, and to bond with them in a way that entices them on a primal level. On the Enterprise, the strongest personality is the captain's. So, is she really happy with him? Is she truly drawn to him of her own volition? Or is that simply part of her programming? Picard seems to accept her advances at face value, but her entire being is centered around appealing to and satisfying men, so ultimately you go away never certain if she really and truly was drawn to him in a different way from other men, or if part of her instinctual play for Picard's interest was to make him feel exceptional. All the ambiguity is why the episode works, though. (Not to mention the ambiguity of that final commercial break cut, which works like literary ellipses — did our noble captain leave her cabin in a chaste and timely fashion, or...?)

I don't know how much of this reading was intended by the writers. I have a feeling they managed to put together an episode that transcended their intent.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
It's just classic sci-fi! Like when Robert Heinlein has his self-insert character describe how sexy his secretaries are! /s
Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Red Mage

Quote:
future-Jean Grey
Holy hell how did I never realize that was the same actress!?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 PM
yum

TNG has a pretty bad recurring case of Scifi Authors Thinking They Understand Women. It's probably the thing that's aged worst about the series. As well as the fact that, in retrospect, not only should Troi be a vital and important character, she should have an entire spinoff show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
It's just classic sci-fi! Like when Robert Heinlein has his self-insert character describe how sexy his secretaries are! /s
Thought this sentence was going to end, "has sex with his mother"
Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 PM
I like tribbles

This is way off topic of the current discussion, but my roommate recently introduced me to TOS and all I can say is this:

1. Why wasn't I shown this before?
2. TRIBBLES!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Thought this sentence was going to end, "has sex with his mother"
in Robert Heinlein's house are many fucking weird-ass mansions
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 PM

Sorry, I hit "edit" instead of "quote" — I'm really sorry!
— Parish

Last edited by Parish; 04-19-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: doh
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 PM
I like tribbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post

I know this is probably a rhetorical question, but the answer is likely that you're just a young'un. TOS was one of the most heavily syndicated TV shows out there... before TNG came along and pretty much replaced it on airwaves. In the 70s and 80s it was pretty easy to flick on the TV and find a random TOS rerun somewhere. By the 90s, it was a lot harder to watch TOS on TV when networks that would have dedicated those timelots to TOS were now showing TNG or some other 90s syndicated show like Xena: Warrior Princess or Stargate SG1. You had to go to some of the deeper bowels of elaborate cable tv packages to find TOS. Especially as TVs got bigger and nicer looking*, and TOS (before the remaster) kept looking older and uglier by contrast.

*In the 80s my family's TV was a black and white 13" with no remote and turn dials. In the 90s we upgraded to a massive 19" (!) color unit with a remote. In the early 00s, we had a titanic 27" unit with an S-video cable jack!
You're right on that first part! I think. Maybe. Most say so.

When I also asked my parents why they failed in being awesome to show me Star Trek, my mom's answer was simply that we were a Star Wars family, not Trekkies.

But on seeing all of TOS not even remastered, it wasn't all that bad. Of course though, being spoiled by a recently purchased Blu-ray box set of the series I can understand what you mean by the differences in show quality.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:09 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

A big part of TOS disappearing from the airwaves (at least in North America) is that it was a prominent feature on "oldies" TV stations in the 80s, ones that subsisted on reruns of I Love Lucy and the Donna Reed Show and such.

But a lot of the rights to those shows got sold to cable stations, pulling them from the rotation (Nick at Nite was started using the aforementioned Donna Reed Show), and the oldies stations couldn't sustain themselves.

(Some of those oldies stations made out like BANDITS in 1989 as they had the rights to air Batman 66 reruns. I remember hearing that CKVR, our oldies station, was basically the #1 station in the Toronto market when Batman aired.)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
(Some of those oldies stations made out like BANDITS in 1989 as they had the rights to air Batman 66 reruns. I remember hearing that CKVR, our oldies station, was basically the #1 station in the Toronto market when Batman aired.)
I wonder how long until CityTV usurped that position.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 AM
For blood and gold

A great (if long) piece on the myth of Kirk the womanizer and collective false memories. Has some decent Marxist thought, too.

Kirk Drift
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 AM

Ensign Harry Kim was more of a womanizer and got more play than Kirk did. It's just a fact. Kirk as the interstellar sleezeball is a lie born from fan fiction and a 60s culture in shock over... well, the 60s and cultural liberalism.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 AM
Your life is forfeit

Yeah, that was more or less my own observation (mentioned long ago upthread) from watching the series afresh and consecutively last year.

Current progress: After several interminable episodes about Lxwana and Alexander, "I Borg" was a much-needed breath of fresh air. And "The Next Phase" was fun, even if it relied on some pretty dumb contrivances.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher