The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 AM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is offline
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 8,847
Default

Time to cancel the top 50 tabletop game thread, as I just found the actual best board game:

Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 AM
KCar's Avatar
KCar KCar is online now
Goodbye!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancougar, BC
Posts: 5,447
Default

I got my sweaty Canadian hands on the Seeso show THROUGH MEANS, and am enjoying it very much.

We are Griffin!
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,889
Default

Bit surprised that nobody here's mentioned the new McElroy-brand podcast. The Kind Rewind, featuring Travis and Theresa rewatching shows they loved growing up, but hadn't really seen since and seeing how they hold up. As implied by the title, it's very positive.

First episode covered the first few episodes of Buffy (which Travis is a big fan of, and Theresa hadn't seen before).
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:58 AM
Adrenaline's Avatar
Adrenaline Adrenaline is offline
It's all good, man
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 17,909
Default

I'm just starting to catch up on Cool Games Inc. It is high quality.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 AM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is offline
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 8,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Bit surprised that nobody here's mentioned the new McElroy-brand podcast. The Kind Rewind, featuring Travis and Theresa rewatching shows they loved growing up, but hadn't really seen since and seeing how they hold up. As implied by the title, it's very positive.
I walk while podcast listening a literal 7.5 hours every week (45 minute commute twice per weekday), and I still don't have enough time to listen to the collected McElroy podcast output. My bloated podcast hole can't handle any more! It can't!
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 AM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is offline
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 8,847
Default

Just finished The Suffering Game, and... that's not the twist that I was expecting. >_< God, I'm still laughing about it.

I love that an arc that was so profoundly uncomfortable to listen to (and honestly, I think it was a misstep and could have been handled better) ended with possibly the greatest act of fan-service I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is online now
is Earnest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17,309
Default

I feel like the current arc is a misstep too. TAZ is extremely popular because the characters are super funny and goofy, but Griffin seems to think it's because everyone wants to know more about the macguffins and generic evil force he created. And it really does't matter what format it takes, but the players seem less interested in what's going on, which detracts from the show.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 04-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,889
Default

Going to have to disagree there; while the best part of TAZ by far, is Tres Horny Boyz' interactions with people, I like the whole of the show enough that I'm invested in everything.

I kind of Zone out when monsters appear and need killing, however. Except when something suitably memorable happens.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is offline
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 8,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I kind of Zone out when monsters appear and need killing, however. Except when something suitably memorable happens.
The climactic battle at the end of The Suffering Game held my attention so rapt that I didn't even notice my 45 minute walk to work this morning. I blinked and realized I was at the office. Magnus turning on the magnetic repulsor ball in particular was A+ stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 04-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is online now
is Earnest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Going to have to disagree there; while the best part of TAZ by far, is Tres Horny Boyz' interactions with people, I like the whole of the show enough that I'm invested in everything.

I kind of Zone out when monsters appear and need killing, however. Except when something suitably memorable happens.
On the other hand, I love when they get in a big monster fight. At the very least, they try to use different strategies and attacks each time instead of just going with their most powerful thing.
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 04-25-2017, 04:11 PM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is online now
Amen cadence? Sounds sus
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Green chile cheeseburger capital of the world
Posts: 7,470
Default

I'm honestly surprised "burnout 3 but with [farting] horses" doesn't already exist
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 AM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is offline
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 8,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
At the very least, they try to use different strategies and attacks each time instead of just going with their most powerful thing.
That being said, boy I'd like to sit Justin and Clint down and remind them that cantrips exist.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,889
Default

Yes, Stolen Century is heavy on backstory and light on funny character interactions, but, dammit Travis got a perfect score on skillful peeing, and a critical failure on basic survival. And if that doesn't sum up TAZ, I don't know what does.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 04-28-2017, 05:41 AM
Tefari's Avatar
Tefari Tefari is offline
contains words & diagrams
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 9,829
Default

I appreciate TAZ for both the character interactions and the storyline being set up, so the way they're doing things now doesn't bother me. The fact that the PCs and the NPCs exist in a story connected world is what brings out the most in their interactions so I enjoy hearing more about the backstory to those interactions.

@JBeaR: Combat with them has never been about spell slot management and optimal play and Griffon runs his game as such, not once have they ever had to worry about spell slots or components (aside from that one time it was cool) or even doing stuff within the framework of the DND ruleset as long as it was cool. There have been plenty of times where instead of running damage numbers a particularly cool attack has just won the combat outright, which is something I really appreciate and enjoy because it adds to the radio drama feeling the show has going for it.

The radio drama aspect is also why I don't mind the more story heavy stuff and what they're doing right now with the current arc, because the show hasn't been about them playing DND for a while now, DND is just a framework for their story and their goofs.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 AM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is offline
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 8,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
@JBeaR: Combat with them has never been about spell slot management and optimal play
I get that, and that's not what I was talking about.

I just listened to an episode recently, near the end of Suffering Game, where Clint lamented that there was nothing useful he can do, because of the various restrictions he was under, and was like "I guess I should just hit something?" and sounded disappointed. But it wasn't true! There's always something useful he can do. That's what cantrips are for!

Similarly, I've heard Justin complain more than once on his turn about just wanting to be able to do some kind of simple attack, and he ends up fishing through spells before finally finding Magic Missile or Burning Hands. That's what cantrips are for!

I'm not worried that they're playing the game "wrong", I'm worried that they're having less fun because they don't understand one of the big things that recent versions of D&D fixed over earlier editions of the game.

It's fun when Travis tries to do something interesting or cool, but I bet he'd be having a lot less fun if he had to do something like that every turn because he didn't have the option to just hit stuff with his weapon.
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Tefari's Avatar
Tefari Tefari is offline
contains words & diagrams
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 9,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I get that, and that's not what I was talking about.

I just listened to an episode recently, near the end of Suffering Game, where Clint lamented that there was nothing useful he can do, because of the various restrictions he was under, and was like "I guess I should just hit something?" and sounded disappointed. But it wasn't true! There's always something useful he can do. That's what cantrips are for!

Similarly, I've heard Justin complain more than once on his turn about just wanting to be able to do some kind of simple attack, and he ends up fishing through spells before finally finding Magic Missile or Burning Hands. That's what cantrips are for!

I'm not worried that they're playing the game "wrong", I'm worried that they're having less fun because they don't understand one of the big things that recent versions of D&D fixed over earlier editions of the game.

It's fun when Travis tries to do something interesting or cool, but I bet he'd be having a lot less fun if he had to do something like that every turn because he didn't have the option to just hit stuff with his weapon.
I feel you, I hope I didn't come across as putting words in your mouth.

I still don't necessarily agree with you though, and I hope this doesn't come across as pedantic nit-picking because that's really not what I'm going for, promise.

My point is that I don't especially think the guys aren't experiencing the full game because they're missing out on some of the minutia. They've forgotten about countless magical items they've picked up from the fantasy gatchapon; poor Scuttlebuddy was a casualty of this (RIP Scuttlebuddy). Unless 5E cantrips work way differently than that kind of thing in the past (and this is highly possible, I'm definitely not up on the rules of 5E), Clint definitely could not have used them because the restrictions he was experiencing prevented all spell casting by him at that point. And The Suffering Game was meant to make them feel like they couldn't do anything but fail, that was the point. BUT your point is taken, I get what you're driving at.

I also think Justin is always fishing for a new ridiculous spell because he's the kind of player that gets a kick out of pulling a spell out of his butt and throwing the GM's plans on their head, but Griffon knows this by now and rolls with the insane plans they come up with because its way more fun to do that then enforce the rules. Same with Travis, it really did feel like he was experiencing linear warrior quadratic wizard right around the time Justin started diving into the spells section of the PH and so he had to both develop himself as a character and start making his motivations as a character be what makes his turns special while also having to ask Griffon to go along with some pretty insane schemes in order for him to be able to do badass shit like summon a talking ethereal horse, fly on command, or have a sick magical wand that eats other magical wands. Cutting a tree in half once a day just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Ultimately they've played so fast and loose with the rules of the game, including ones that might make them have to make more serious decisions mid session that would slow it way down but would increase the immersion factor, that I'm not worried about their grasp on the finer points of the rules being a detriment anymore because IMO if that was the case I'd have gone insane back when they failed a roll they could have passed if they'd remembered they'd had some dumb trinket from the gatchapon or just totally didn't use a really sweet magical item for the millionth time (RIP Immovable Rods).
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 AM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is online now
Amen cadence? Sounds sus
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Green chile cheeseburger capital of the world
Posts: 7,470
Default

This is probably more the result of Nick's love for Evangelion, but as a comment on YouTube pointed out:

"Car Boys episode 2: Nick and Griffin play with cannons
Car Boys episode 38: Nick and Griffin see the face of the Devil"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 05-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,889
Default

My backwards trek through MBMBaM has just brought me to the very first appearance of Farm Wisdom.

This... this is what it feels like when archeologists found the first tyrannosaur skeleton.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 05-15-2017, 07:43 PM
Tefari's Avatar
Tefari Tefari is offline
contains words & diagrams
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 9,829
Default

teg, was today yet another instance of you showing up on a podcast I listen to?
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 AM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is online now
Amen cadence? Sounds sus
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Green chile cheeseburger capital of the world
Posts: 7,470
Default

I certainly hope so. Details check out, and teg deserves a sweet girlfriend like that
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,889
Default

Alternatively; I hope Teg didn't get her entire butt glued to a chair.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 AM
will's Avatar
will will is offline
>MAGIC
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Our Fair City
Posts: 2,107
Default



Don't know if I'll be able to make it to NYC for this, but I'm tempted! Taako's definitely in and going to be fantastic, but consider: a Busto act incorporating ragdoll physics?
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 AM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is online now
Amen cadence? Sounds sus
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Green chile cheeseburger capital of the world
Posts: 7,470
Default

I'm not convinced the world is ready for sexy griffin mcelroy cosplay
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is online now
is Earnest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17,309
Default

This is incredible. Spoilers for all of Car Boys.

Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:30 AM
WildcatJF's Avatar
WildcatJF WildcatJF is offline
Inkster
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 6,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
This is incredible. Spoilers for all of Car Boys.
I hope Nick and Griffin make that canon. It's awesome as fuck fantheory.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is online now
is Earnest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
this Car Boys plot breakdown (SPOILERS) is my whole life right now
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 05-22-2017, 12:18 PM
WildcatJF's Avatar
WildcatJF WildcatJF is offline
Inkster
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 6,337
Default

HELL YES.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 05-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Peach's Avatar
Peach Peach is offline
Remembers Love
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fargo and Gamoorhead
Posts: 2,890
Default

the thirst is real

Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,889
Default

The Seeso show is on iTunes!

For everyone!

Yes!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:40 AM
krelbel's Avatar
krelbel krelbel is online now
Good Bee
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,178
Default

The end credits music of the last episode of Car Boys is my jam:

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boys , deals warlock , em bam bam , great job! , hail and well met , hamilton , just like bart , munch squad , peepums nastygum , the money zone , twentyserpentine , unless... , vore , what's up you cool baby , yahoo answers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007