The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 AM
A real human being

So I just watched Fire Walk With Me yesterday for the first time. It was... kinda bad. It felt really disjointed, and while how uncomfortable and fucked up everything in Laura's life is was really well done in making it feel like that, it was still kind of a mess. I might even like the low points of season 2 better.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:22 AM
Crazy Old Bird

RIP Catherine E Coulson, aka Log Lady.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Apparently, Lynch had come up with this character first and had envisioned a show called "I'll Test My Log with Every Branch of Knowledge". Better to put her in an ensemble show, but man, I have to wonder what that would have been like.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:27 PM

Twin Peaks is delayed to 2017.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:23 PM
It's all good, man

I feel like that was known back when Lynch came back on the project.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:44 AM

That gum you like is coming back in style.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 AM
It's all good, man

Cast list: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/twin...ed-1201759934/

Newcomers that jumped out at me (spoiled for spoiler-phobes): Monica Bellucci, Jim Belushi, Michael Cera, Jeremy Davies, Laura Dern, Sky Ferreira, Robert Forster, Brett Gelman, Ernie Hudson, Ashley Judd, David Koechner, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Matthew Lillard, The Reznors, Tim Roth, Amanda Seyfried, Tom Sizemore, Ethan Suplee, Eddie Vedder, Naomi Watts.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Interesting names on that list, but I'm a bit more surprised to look at the returning cast members and see David Duchovny in there. For a number of reasons.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:17 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Oh, dear.

Still going to watch but that is a damper, goodness.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Is there not one thing

What are the celebs up to this time that David Duchovny is more of a shock than Tom fuckin Sizemore?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:23 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
What are the celebs up to this time that David Duchovny is more of a shock than Tom fuckin Sizemore?
Mostly personal reasons. Shock isn't DD's personal life, it's the fact that he played a transwoman-as-man-in-drag-for-comedy the first time through and that is maybe not a bit that will be quite as well received in the current climate.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
Mostly personal reasons. Shock isn't DD's personal life, it's the fact that he played a transwoman-as-man-in-drag-for-comedy the first time through and that is maybe not a bit that will be quite as well received in the current climate.
Yeah that sounds like a bit best left in the dustbin of history. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:31 PM

Though Duchovony's character hasn't aged all that well, I will say considering when it was made I think it may have been was still one of the more progressive trans portrayals at the time (which is sad). It's been a while (so if you have a counter example, please point it out), but though DD turned heads, I don't recall anyone trying to shame the character about it. Compare that to a lot of movies where characters are shamed and mocked ("rightfully so" the filmmakers seem to say) for being trans (Crocodile Dundee and Ace Ventura, for example). Duchovony is yet one of the other FBI guys who also seem to be on a spiritual/personal journey (I love that's everyone in the FBI in Twin Peaks is searching for spiritual truths, like that's part of the job).

But yes, unfortunately it was also a "look at yet another of Twin Peaks oddballs" and while the show definitely loved the oddballs and was on their side, this isn't a thing that should be seen as oddball. So I could see the show keeping the character but losing the "isn't he weird that he dresses as a woman" and do something less embarrassing with him. Then again, while I love David Lynch, I could see him not knowing any better (like when he said 9/11 was an inside job or whatever) and making a drastic mistake (still, I'd like to think DD would know better).

Of course, if you feel I'm wrong on this, please let me know.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 PM

I'll defend the character in the original context. Including a surprise "shocking" trans character for more or less the sole purpose of having the embodiment of all that is good and wholesome surprise audiences by being 100% supportive is about the best way to swing that as a stunt. and casting wise, having a woman played by a man in a dress is never a good idea, but I can mostly give it a pass when you're specifically presenting a character as just having come out as trans.

Much harder to swallow though is a woman who transitioned 20 years ago looking anything like David Duchovny. So our options are:

A- Reinforcing the hell, at least visually, out of the harmful "man in a dress" notion. That's bad.

B- "It was just a phase." That's worse.

C- David Duchovny is NOT actually reprising his role as Denise Bryson, but rather playing a new character, her cousin Fox Mulder. This one's OK!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
I'll defend the character in the original context. Including a surprise "shocking" trans character for more or less the sole purpose of having the embodiment of all that is good and wholesome surprise audiences by being 100% supportive is about the best way to swing that as a stunt. and casting wise, having a woman played by a man in a dress is never a good idea, but I can mostly give it a pass when you're specifically presenting a character as just having come out as trans.

Much harder to swallow though is a woman who transitioned 20 years ago looking anything like David Duchovny. So our options are:

A- Reinforcing the hell, at least visually, out of the harmful "man in a dress" notion. That's bad.

B- "It was just a phase." That's worse.

C- David Duchovny is NOT actually reprising his role as Denise Bryson, but rather playing a new character, her cousin Fox Mulder. This one's OK!
I won't criticize the appearance by look, but I'll definitely grumble about how the character's "sex appeal" was set up as impossible and surreal when DD walks through a firefight by dressing as a waitress.

But yeah, I fully support DD coming back as Denise's twin brother, Denise having retired happily to Malibu. Twin siblings/cousins ARE kind of a twin peaks thing, after all.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:46 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Just finished the series the other night.

As many people pointed out previously, the second season suffers a lot, but I still liked a fair amount of it. There are some plots I don't care about though.

But that last episode, holy shit. That's what I like. I liked the show best when it was doing weird, surreal, Lynchian stuff, which it still does from time to time, even without Lynch being the director. But that last episode was bonkers and I loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Fire Walk With Me is kind of like a Lynch movie that happens to be set in Twin Peaks, rather than Twin Peaks: The TV Show: The Movie.
I think this is probably really good news for me. Looking forward to watching the film sometime quite soon.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:55 AM

Yeah, that last episode restored a lot of good will for crap like Audrey Horne getting hooked up with Billy Zane and basically anything with James and whoever Lara Flynn Boyle played. They got really lost in the weeds with that stuff.

Man, considering that we are going to get 2 9-episode seasons, we are all very lucky.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 05-06-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:36 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

The James subplot didn't even bother me that much. As much as I enjoyed Andy in season 1 and the first part of season 2, the whole Andy/Dick "who's the father of Lucy's child" thing got tedious, really quickly. Hell, Lucy was entertaining for the first half of the series, but once it got to that plot, they just beat it into the ground and I didn't really care.

Anyway, after seeing this series, Mulholland Drive makes so much more sense to me. Not the plot or mystery mind you, just the style of it. But the style of humor and the conventional telling of a mystery with explosions of bizarre surrealism....Mulholland Drive really feels like it was going to be another Twin Peaks sort of thing. Which makes sense, giving that the movie started as a pilot for a series. There are just so many similarities, and I think my friends who liked Twin Peaks but have never seen anything else by Lynch might actually like Mulholland Drive. I for one love the hell out of that movie.

Anyway, looking forward to Fire Walk With Me.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:18 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I started watching this last summer or fall and got distracted and picked it back up a weeks ago. I know that "season 2 gets bad" but after The Big Reveal™ I was thinking "You know, this clearly isn't as good anymore but it's still okay! Maybe everyone was just overreacting!"

Then I watched a few more episodes and now it's...like, okay. Okay, I get it. It's pretty bad. I'm still invested but it's getting more difficult. The Ben thinks he in the Civil War thing was EXCRUCIATING to watch. At least some of the other plotlines are stupid and goofy enough to be mildly interesting, but a lot of them somehow manage to overstay their welcome and also get resolved so quickly as to feel entirely meaningless. You can tell some of the actors and actresses are just not happy to be there anymore.

Also, I know that James leaves the show in an episode or two from where I'm at, but IT CANNOT HAPPEN FAST ENOUGH. Donna/James are probably the worst characters on the show, and it's only gotten worse as the show has gone on. James' subplot with the rich lady was painful to watch.

I read a plot synopsis of Fire Walk With Me, which is allegedly pretty bad, so I feel fine skipping that. Oh, and I am now suddenly curious how the Denise Bryson character is going to portrayed in the 2017 series. Because the show took a DECIDEDLY 1990s approach to that character and I think they might want to change their apporach this time around.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Gesundheit!

I was looking at the returning cast list for the new series and I'm surprised Michael Ontkean (Sheriff Truman) isn't slated to return. I wonder if that's by design or if he's just wasn't into the idea, because that's a pretty big loss, in terms of the whole feel of the show.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:38 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I was looking at that the other day too and it turns out he retired from acting and didn't want to un-retire. Apparently Robert Forster is going to be the sheriff but it doesn't say if he's the same character or just a new sheriff. Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna), Piper Laurie (Catherine), Heather Graham (Annie), and Eric Da Re (Leo) aren't coming back either. And Jack Nance (Pete) and The Log Lady died (though apparently she filmed a scene or two before that happened)...

But BASICALLY everyone else is coming back, including several people who are currently dead in the show. So that'll be interesting to see how that works! There's a TON of new cast members too, and while I'm sure there'll be a lot of bit parts, it's funny to see so many people listed in the cast for just 9 episodes.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Apparently Robert Forster is going to be the sheriff
SOLD
Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

The other interesting thing is that Robert Forster was originally planned to be Sheriff Truman but couldn't do it for scheduling reasons. I thought he was supposed to be the same character in the new season, but I can't confirm that either,
Old 08-04-2016, 06:10 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I read a plot synopsis of Fire Walk With Me, which is allegedly pretty bad, so I feel fine skipping that.
It's better than a lot of season 2.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:05 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Apparently Forster is playing Truman and not a new character, and now when I watch Ontkean I can see why they wanted Forster for the part. It should be a good fit, I think.

Also a young as hell Billy Zane just showed up in an episode. He's a cool dude.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I finished it yesterday. The show definitely loses its way in the middle of Season 2, but the end was interesting. It'll be really interesting to see where the 2017 series goes from here. I didn't know about that "25 years" line from Laura in the finale, which puts the 2017 series in a whole new perspective.

Bad Season 2 Plotlines, in order from worst to least worst:

- Ben Horne thinks he's in the civil war
- James and the rich lady murder subplot
- Anything Donna does at any point
- Billy Zane; Sexy Cowboy Millionaire™
- Cooper's painfully written romance with Annie
- Thomas Eckhardt/Andrew Packard/Catherine. That's technically like 3 or 4 minisubplots but they're all bad.
- Nadine is in high school

I think as a whole, once the Palmer murder was done they kept all of the "soap opera parody" periphery elements but nothing really replaced the Palmer murder core. Windom Earle and the White/Black Lodge were SUPPOSED to replace that but they just didn't.

Anyway. Looking forward to the new show.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 AM
utada hikaru

Fire Walk With Me is a good movie, and is an absolutely critical addition to the TV show.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:28 AM

FWWM's only issue is that it makes absolutely no sense if you didn't watch the show beforehand. Since you did, it's worth viewing... just don't expect the same tone as the show.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 PM

Didn't know whether to start a thread in the talking about books or here, but my copy of the secret history of twin peaks comes this Monday. If my delivery meter is telling me right. I'm pretty hyped about this!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:41 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominable K View Post
FWWM's only issue is that it makes absolutely no sense if you didn't watch the show beforehand. Since you did, it's worth viewing... just don't expect the same tone as the show.
If you watch the movie without the show, it makes about as much sense as a typical Lynch movie.

If you watch the movie after seeing the show, it can be your Rosetta Stone for understanding how Lynch movies work.

Tags
gravity falls for adults , illseeyouagainin25years , it is happening again