The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Owning the mill includes all the land containing the trees it's harvesting?
Wooooo maybe.

And yes Netflix splits their services. You have streaming, DVD by mail and Blu-Ray by mail. I chose option two because a lot of what I want to watch wasn't available for streaming.

And I do miss the log lady introductions, but I decided to live with the sacrifice.

EDIT: So I just finished the episode "Slaves and Masters". The last image of the episode with the screaming drawer knob, what was that about? Does it mean anything other than Josie being mentally distraught at her time of death?

Last edited by Inactive Blacksmith; 10-14-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Chris Remo and Jake Rodkin from Idle Thumbs started a Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast.

I like it, but they're already my favorite thumbs, so . . .
Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Gesundheit!

How sweet it is.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:01 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
Wooooo maybe.

And yes Netflix splits their services. You have streaming, DVD by mail and Blu-Ray by mail. I chose option two because a lot of what I want to watch wasn't available for streaming.

And I do miss the log lady introductions, but I decided to live with the sacrifice.

EDIT: So I just finished the episode "Slaves and Masters". The last image of the episode with the screaming drawer knob, what was that about? Does it mean anything other than Josie being mentally distraught at her time of death?
It's been a while since I watched it, but while I believe it is somewhat addressed, it is never solved. Correct me if I'm forgetting some stuff, but my theory is it's made from the wood from the Twin Peaks' forest and Bob, who probably has dominion over that kind of stuff trapped her in there because... well it always is hard to judge the intentions of Bob. To enjoy watching her suffer, I suppose. Never expect David Lynch to tie up loose ends. He's not that kind of storyteller. But I do hope he brings back Joan Chen in some capacity.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Crazy Old Bird

If I remember correctly, Joan was supposed to show up in the Red Room in the second season finale, but scheduling conflicts prevented her inclusion.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Life depends on change

My fiancee and I are watching this, and like everyone else, currently struggling through the second half of season 2. We'll see it through to the end (and probably watch the movie, too) but yeah... it really is a noticeable drop in quality right after THAT EPISODE. Like wow.

Really good stuff up to that point, though. I'm seeing why Twin Peaks references have popped up in other media I've liked for years. Glad I finally checked it out.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:09 PM
A real human being

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Chris Remo and Jake Rodkin from Idle Thumbs started a Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast.

I like it, but they're already my favorite thumbs, so . . .
Wish I knew about this sooner. Been meaning to rewatch the series. Time to catch up on both and keep up after that. One episode a week will definitely be doable, and I've got a long weekend to get caught up on both already.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTwenty View Post
My fiancee and I are watching this, and like everyone else, currently struggling through the second half of season 2. We'll see it through to the end (and probably watch the movie, too) but yeah... it really is a noticeable drop in quality right after THAT EPISODE. Like wow.

Really good stuff up to that point, though. I'm seeing why Twin Peaks references have popped up in other media I've liked for years. Glad I finally checked it out.
Stick with it, the last episode is worth it. That said, as amazing as it is, there is SO much that is going to frustrate you, loose ends wise (it wasn't intended to stop, after all).

At least you'll only need to wait about a year for some resolution. BTW, if you watch the prequel film Fire Walk with Me, I hear there are some amazing bits but is overall disappointing.

My problem with the second half is some of it's great characters become a bit toothless. Bobby goes from complex villain (hell, he's downright scary when he's literally barking at someone in the pilot) to young Schemer from Shining Time Station. Audrey gets it the worst, though. Some blame trying to pass him off on Billy Zane after actress Lara Flynn Boyle got super jealous over her man Kyle (she caused a lot of grief on the set, I hear, which is why she probably won't be coming back. I think the problem is simply that they stopped writing her with the edge that made her so compelling in the first place.

BTW, how hilarious would it be if the new season takes place 5 minutes after the first, with everyone pretending to be as young as they were.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Crazy Old Bird

The husband and I skipped a large portion of season 2's back half, reading plot synopses and jumping back in for the last couple episodes. I have no regrets.

Personally I feel that the season two finale and Fire Walk with Me are both incredibly satisfying. I didn't mind the loose ends at all.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:37 PM

Here's the thing: with Lynch, I'm OK with loose ends, because that what he likes. But knowing that there is supposed to be more and not getting it is the frustrating part. I don't expect too many answers or even too much closure in the next season, but I do want more chances to explore this world.

Also, as much as I enjoy the old cast, I am hoping some new actors will come into the show. I trust Lynch not to make it a nostalgiafest (if there's someone who doesn't go out of the way to service the audience, it's Lynch) but after 25 years, I imagine there are other new significant figures to rise in that town.

BTW, have you seen Mulholland Drive? I think you'll like it a lot. It started out as a TV pilot and after it wasn't picked up it was retooled into a movie. Basically, its Twin Peaks goes Hollywood. OK, that's not entirely accurate, but they are both of a piece. In fact, I'd say Blue Velvet is his exploration of the suburbs, Twin Peaks is small town life and Mulholland Drive is the big city (specifically, Hollywood). I would have loved to see it as a series (in fact, I think it would have made the ending more satisfying, even though I think most might have found it more frustrating), but on it's own, it is incredibly satisfying.

Have yet to see Fire Walk With Me, so I can't judge.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Mulholland Drive was my introduction to Lynch back in high school. I didn't get into Twin Peaks until much later, and it took me three tries to actually finish the thing, mainly because I kept stalling out in season 2.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Stick with it, the last episode is worth it. That said, as amazing as it is, there is SO much that is going to frustrate you, loose ends wise (it wasn't intended to stop, after all).

At least you'll only need to wait about a year for some resolution. BTW, if you watch the prequel film Fire Walk with Me, I hear there are some amazing bits but is overall disappointing.

My problem with the second half is some of it's great characters become a bit toothless. Bobby goes from complex villain (hell, he's downright scary when he's literally barking at someone in the pilot) to young Schemer from Shining Time Station. Audrey gets it the worst, though. Some blame trying to pass him off on Billy Zane after actress Lara Flynn Boyle got super jealous over her man Kyle (she caused a lot of grief on the set, I hear, which is why she probably won't be coming back. I think the problem is simply that they stopped writing her with the edge that made her so compelling in the first place.

BTW, how hilarious would it be if the new season takes place 5 minutes after the first, with everyone pretending to be as young as they were.
Bobby is pretty bad, but the whole weird detour they took with James just doesn't interest me at all. He gets upset that Laura's cousin dies and this causes him to flee Twin Peaks and Donna and get caught up in some dumb scheme some lady tried to frame him for the murder of her husband she planned. Like, I dunno, that's a thing that could be interesting, I suppose, but it just seemed out of character for him to run off and cheat on Donna and all that.

Though "out of character" is one of many complaints you could level at several characters in the second half of season 2. It really is a mess. Still going to power through it, though, because the last episode is supposed to be so good and up until that one episode in 2 it was all really entertaining.

And this is my first exposure to David Lynch material. I really need to watch his other stuff, and given how much I liked the good portions of Twin Peaks, I think I will be.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:00 PM

I will say, I think you will like Lynch's other work, but he doesn't have Mark Frost to tether him down, which might change how you feel. I like my Lynch both ways though. I think of him as Jack Kirby with Stan Lee as Frost: they made amazing work together, but without Stan Lee, Kirby was able to make the Forth World comics.

Anyway, my first recommendation would be the Elephant Man. I'm sure you don't need to be "eased into" Lynch's more out there work, but it is a great movie and probably his most affecting, since the dream logic of his other films have more of an emotional effect more akin to wonder or (more often than not) horror. Then go with Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive (both of which are pretty sensational).

Personally, I still haven't seen Eraserhead, which is out and out his most avant garde (am I using that right?) film and his most unsettling (which is probably why I hesitate to watch it). Not a lot of people talk about Inland Empire, but I generally hear good things. Also, the Straight Story is one of Lynch's stranger works in that it is rather normal and actually family friendly. It's about a guy who travels the country on his riding mower or something. Also haven't seen it.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:58 PM
contains words & diagrams

I liked season 2 post-reveal but I know I'm in the minority on that...I grew to really enjoy the insane soap opera drama that Twin Peaks was anchored in so once the major question driving the initial burst of excitement got answered I was still interested in seeing more of the world of Twin Peaks itself, not to mention that the ramifications of "who killed Laura Palmer" are as interesting as the murder mystery to me. Again, I'm in the minority since the show got cancelled after two seasons. God damn that fucking last shot of the last episode though...god damn it.

How this new Twin Peaks stuff is gonna deal with that...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Inscaper

To me the most unforgivable thing about Season 2 is how badly they fucked up Windom Earle.

The Anti Coop could have been a terrifying, interesting antagonist totally able to step in for Leland and drive things towards The Black Lodge.

Instead he's just a passive aggressive clown and never seems like a real or frightening threat.

Last edited by Evil Dead Junkie; 02-07-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
currently struggling through the second half of season 2. We'll see it through to the end (and probably watch the movie, too) but yeah... it really is a noticeable drop in quality right after THAT EPISODE. Like wow.
Yeah. The second half of season 2 has been an absolute slog to get through. I've got two episodes left though, so hooray. (There was a fantastic creepy Lynch shot of Dale and that girl in the diner that was a normal scene but pulled out really slowly with a creepy backing track that kinda shook up the latest episode I watched, but other than that...) Also I can't shake the feeling that Windom Earle's name is a pun but cannot for the life of me place it.

EDJ watch your spoilers in case someone new to the show wants to go in fresh.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Life depends on change

We had stopped watching because we were just bored with the show. I think we stopped at episode 16? Anyway, we skipped the rest and watched the last episode. My favorite scene in season 1 was the dream sequence in episode 3 (not alone in that, I'm sure), so getting a whole freaky, creepy episode like that pleased me. It was very nice to be engrossed in Twin Peaks again after like 9 hours of... not being. My fiancee ended up liking the show quite a bit too, which was nice.

That last shot, while easily predicted, was great.

We'll check out the FWWM next, one of these days.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:07 PM

Has anyone done a supercut yet of the Lodge appearing on other shows or media yet? Seems like that should be happening soon. Granted, I can only think of two examples (The Simpsons and Gravity Falls), but I bet there are plenty.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 PM

Was there a Lodge bit on the Sesame Street Twin Beaks segment?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Has anyone done a supercut yet of the Lodge appearing on other shows or media yet? Seems like that should be happening soon. Granted, I can only think of two examples (The Simpsons and Gravity Falls), but I bet there are plenty.
The most recent scooby doo
Old 02-08-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
Was there a Lodge bit on the Sesame Street Twin Beaks segment?
Let's find out.

Nope. Good thinking, though. And it gave me a good excuse to revisit it.

Also, I got a real flash of nostalgia with the Monsterpiece Theatre opening.

BTW, has anyone posted these pictures yet?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
OK you see this? This is what we call a closer.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Holy cow those are fantastic.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
OK you see this? This is what we call a closer.
I thought closers get coffee?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 AM
A real human being

So I just started rewatching this last night after messing with VPNs to get access to it, since it got pulled from Netflix in Canada.

Also going along with the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast, which is great so far. I was actually surprised they never mentioned the end of shot bit when Cooper and Truman are in the police car going after Donna just after the Roadhouse scene, Truman says "I think we lost them", to which Cooper says "Give me a donut", and the scene ends. That amused me far more than it probably should have.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 AM

Default How much blood is on their hands?

Quote:
Bobby is pretty bad, but the whole weird detour they took with James just doesn't interest me at all. He gets upset that Laura's cousin dies and this causes him to flee Twin Peaks and Donna and get caught up in some dumb scheme some lady tried to frame him for the murder of her husband she planned. Like, I dunno, that's a thing that could be interesting, I suppose, but it just seemed out of character for him to run off and cheat on Donna and all that.
This is part of why I think Donna and James are the actual biggest threat to Twin Peaks. I hope they will be finally brought to justice in the new season.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:21 PM
Answers come in dreams

Got to 3 or 4 episodes and stopped watching it. I'll go back to it at some point.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Um, guys? I have bad news. David Lynch quit. The show is still happening, but the Frost-Lynch team won't be intact. While I'll probably still watch, my interest has plummeted.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Inscaper

I'm crossing my fingers for this being a desperate negotiating tactic as apparently the problem is just money.

If not then fuck the world.

I'll be shocked if the series does actually get made without Lynch's participation. Seems like it would just the wind out of the sails.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Well hell's bells. I'm part of that weird contingent that actually liked the Lynch-less soap opera superbullshit in the second season but I also am really not sure I want the third season to be without his direction as well.

Tags
gravity falls for adults , illseeyouagainin25years , it is happening again