The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgum Roi View Post
Been playing High Frontier 3rd edition with friends lately. It's really, really good if you're into complex experience games.
I've only played it 3 times (all a couple years ago), but all 3 times were really fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgum Roi View Post
Pax Porfiriana
I think my friend just got a copy of this recently? Some Phil Eklund game, anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was this one. Don't know when we'll find time to learn/play it, though.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Just had my best game of Star Wars: Rebellion ever after a ridiculously bad start. I was playing the Empire, and I left the Core worlds a bit too thinly defended, as the Rebels rolled into Coruscant on turn 1 and set up shop, quickly expanding their borders to cover the entire region, taking over Corellia and Cato Neimoidia as well. From that point on, they were milling through the mission deck as fast as they could in search of the Coruscant occupation objective. I was pretty much left to run roughshod over the rest of the board as the Rebels built up a ridiculously large fleet of 3 Mon Cal cruisers and ~8 snub fighters on Cato Neimoidia. We had the largest battle I've ever seen in orbit of Sullust, when, in an effort to rescue a captured Admiral Ackbar, that fleet crashed against my own of 3 Star Destroyers, a couple of assault carriers, and a half-dozen TIEs. I managed to take out a Mon Cal and several of the fighters, but was forced to retreat back to Mustafar with 3 points on damage on both of Destroyers, saving them both.

My one unmitigated success in the early game, however, was keeping Rebel leaders on lockdown, as I had at least one captured leader every turn (I captured Leia instead of Ackbar on that same turn he was rescued), turning Jan Dodonna to the dark side on turn 2 and freezing Leia in carbonite a couple of turns later. With that leader advantage, I had managed to get pretty great board coverage in the outer systems, along with a few key probe pulls. Critically, I was able to Interrogate one of those leaders, forcing the Rebels to name 3 systems, one of which contained their base. I was sitting on the probe card for one of the three, and one of the remaining two was Cato Neimoidia, home to the aforementioned ridiculous fleet.

It just so happened that I had Display of Power, and waited for the opportunity to use it unopposed, which immediately flipped Cato Neimoidia from Rebel to Imperial loyalty, immediately revealing it as the home of the base (I didn't actually think it was there, but I still had a way to check, fortunately for me). This spooked my opponent into moving the base, despite how well-defended it was, and on the very next turn I used Homing Beacon on a released General Rieekan to pin the brand new base as being on Ryloth (I had imperial loyalty on Rodia and Geonosis, and was sitting on the Tatooine probe card, so I was able to determine it as the only legal option). I had a single assault carrier, a single squad of stormtroopers, and an AT-AT on Geonosis, and he'd managed to get a speeder, a squad of rebel troopers, 2 ion cannons, and a shield generator into the new base already, but I rolled on in and was just barely able to win the day, with 2 points of damage on the AT-AT, my only remaining presence on the ground.

So I squeaked out a really early win on... I think turn 6? In a game that I fully expected to lose.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Ailes Shake Your ButtButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I think my friend just got a copy of this recently? Some Phil Eklund game, anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was this one. Don't know when we'll find time to learn/play it, though.
My group has been on an Eklund binge lately. We played Pax Renaissance a few months ago, then Bios: Genesis, then Neanderthal, now High Frontier 3rd ed. All the while doing copious amounts of Pax Porf on Yucata.

I can't rate HF yet, but of the others I'd say Pax Ren>Bios:Genesis>Neaderthal>Pax Porfiriana. But they are all really awesome games, I love them. Even if I hate their rulebooks.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Lucky In Love

Minnesota-made game day!

I played Vast with 4 players. It was weird and I feel like nobody knew how exactly to win the first time, but the Dragon won without too much resistance. This is a 1-5 player asymmetrical adventure/strategy game. The Knight is playing Dungeon Quest and wins by slaying the dragon, the Goblins are playing Warcraft and win by killing the knight, the Dragon is playing some kind euro game trying to build his strength with cubes by antagonizing the other players, and the Cave is playing Secret Carcassonne and trying to keep anyone else from winning with rockslides and spores because it wins if everyone else takes too long.

I was the Cave, and my mistake is that you need to use a lot more resources to keep the dragon from waking up, among other things. Only the Cave and the Dragon have time based victory conditions, and only the Cave has the power to slow the Dragon down.

I'll have to play a few more times to be able to judge if it's as crazy unbalanced as it seems at first. The downtime was a problem since everyone was trying to learn a separate game basically.

I also played Sagrada, a stained glass themed dice drafting game. You have to fill a grid without having dice of the same color or number next to one another, with a few more color/number restrictions sprinkled on your particular bingo card. I didn't find this game very inspiring other than looking nice and being somewhat novel.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 AM
Bertolli?!?...

From what I hear, Vast is kind of an overly-ambitious, glorious mess of a game. I'd love to try it for myself though, because I love that sort of thing, flaws and all.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Bertolli?!?...

It's recently been brought to my attention that people make themselves custom boards for Louis XIV, and now I've never wanted anything more:

Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
From what I hear, Vast is kind of an overly-ambitious, glorious mess of a game. I'd love to try it for myself though, because I love that sort of thing, flaws and all.
I would have to play it again and see. It might come together if everyone knows what they're doing, but it's very hard to know who you should be helping or hindering. For instance, the Cave can hinder all other players, and can help the Knight by choosing good events and treasures for them. Helping the Knight isn't exactly good though, you want to keep them alive (or else the Golbins win) but you don't want to give them offensive items because they can't slow the Dragon's growth, they can only kill it.

I chose not to give the Knight a boots of speed because it seemed like it would be too unbalancing, in retrospect their increased move speed would have let me play tiles faster and get closer to winning.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFalcon View Post
Minor Box 5 spoiler:
There's a dependency on finding certain entries in the Captain's Booke to progress to Box 6, and even 3 games into Box 5 it feels like we're some distance from getting enough.
We just hit Seafall box 5 ourselves - on game 7 - and I agree.

More details:

We had actually noticed the numbers on the advisors during our first game and had been puzzling for weeks over what they could mean and how the game could use them. Discovering the answer was fabulous. We also took out Patmos in the same game, so we're actually able to use half the game systems again.

But the automatic glory for inquisition plus having seen the numbers before has us all heartily interrogating our advisors, and unearthing some tantalizing clues. I think I have a better idea of where the game is going now, but it feels actively misleading about its gameplay in a way Pandemic Legacy wasn't.
Old Today, 03:13 PM
hidden in snow

ArsTechnica's review of Gloomhaven makes it seem really interesting, but ultimately will be another game that will never make it to the table at my house. It's a co-op dungeon crawler like Descent, but uses only cards, no dice. I'm still tempted by the kickstarter for the reprint that's closing tomorrow, but common sense needs to win out here.

Anyone played this? The link to the second printing kickstarter is here, and is up to $3.5 million from the $100K ask.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it