The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-07-2017, 11:34 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Eh, it's tricky. I don't know that SHIELD's premiere number was sustainable because they basically built that off clips of Avengers, but the Netflix shows' audiences are quite large and they haven't been tainted like SHIELD was.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:56 PM

That second credit scene in Spider-Man was *chef's kiss*
Old 07-08-2017, 12:25 AM
actually an eevee

Quote:
[00:21:18] <Lady> HOLY FUCK SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING IS A GOOD MOVIE
[00:21:28] <myew> Man i want is something wrong they just all agree on the spider one.
[00:22:08] <NickAFK> Lady has given the perfect review
[00:22:13] * NickAFK is now known as Nick
[00:22:27] <Lady> its like
[00:22:36] <Lady> as amazing and inspiring as wonder woman was
[00:22:48] <Lady> I still walked out of it able to name a few places where it misstepped or could have done better
[00:23:07] <Lady> kishi and I had our post-movie debriefing dinner and we still haven't really come up with anything
[00:24:45] <fbm> i'd like to see spiders man but who knows if i'll get round to it
[00:25:06] <Lady> do it if at all possible
Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 AM

I was very satisfied with the new Spider-Man, although the whole idea of Spidey having a sidekick bothered me just a tad
Old 07-08-2017, 04:14 PM
It's all good, man

Between this and Guardians 2, Marvel should go ahead and keep casting popular 80s actors as their villains
Old 07-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

I liked almost everything about, even if it never reaches the heights of Spider-Man 2. Second place is a good place, I think.

Three complaints: Ned is annoying for the first half, Peter never solves anything through wits, and the last action scene is too dark and shaky.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

I liked everything about the new Spider-Man except the last action set-piece, which, as Zef said was way too dark and I hated. Between Logan, Wonder Woman, and this it's been a refreshingly good year for superhero movies to me.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:13 PM
I. Love. It.

I saw it today and I liked it a lot! I, too, still like the original Spider Man 2 a bit more (Doc Ock was always my favorite baddie as a kid) but it's a whole heck of a lot better than the previous three movies.

I had one big disappointment, but it was largely my own fault for anticipating something that was never announced. I always hoped in my heart of hearts that the second credits scene would be a reveal of JK Simmons returning as J. Jonah Jameson. Even though there's been no announcement or even rumor of it at all, I guess I just wanted it to happen. How awesome would that have been? The fact that Sony refuses to bring that character back to the Spidey movies for three films now is just plain vexing. Ah well.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:25 PM
It's all good, man

The second credits scene is really good, though. Worth the wait.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Hawkguy

I'm just hoping I don't have to wait 3 years for the resolution to the cliffhanger
Old 07-09-2017, 05:21 AM
It's all good, man

I imagine Avengers 3 touches on it next year
Old 07-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Mystery Contraption

I'm not going to say it was the best Spider-Man movie (because 2 is right there and, man, that is not a debate I feel up to arguing), but it was the very first Spider-Man movie that actually felt like a Spider-Man story. The superhero action, high school drama and comedy all blended together perfectly, entire cast worked together well (especially Micheal Keaton, to nobodies surprise) and Spider-Man lifted a Big Heavy Thing

Apparently the secret to making me like Vulture as a villain is to make him super likeable as a person when not committing bird-crimes and to also reinvent him to be the Hobgoblin. And to also make him the leader of The Sinister Six (give or take). Sinister Several, I guess.

The biggest problem I had with is it is that while it's very difficult to accept Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, it's even harder to accept Micheal Keaton as the father to a teenager. For the exact opposite reason. Time has not treated the gentleman kindly.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:22 PM

My uncle had his kids late in life, so that's not that far of a stretch
Old 07-09-2017, 04:41 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yeah, Spidey 2 I look at like the Donner Superman movies: not necessarily the best Spider Man movie, but the best movie.

This was a bunch of fun. Looks like they pulled a con job with Tony as I think he had a bunch of scenes in the trailers that weren't in the movie.

The only downer is that, as a child of 80s Spider Man, this being successful means we won't get a "dropped out of college and juggling several hot women" era film any time soon.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Find Your Reason

Loved it. Love how the MCU expanded universe built the world for a brand new Peter to react, develop, and grow, and although Iron Man casts a shadow on the narrative (and is Peter's driving influence) it's still 100% a Spider-Man show.

About the first mid-credits scene: who was the guy with the scar who confronted Batman? I figure it's the thug from the ferry that got a car smashed into him, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Loved it. Love how the MCU expanded universe built the world for a brand new Peter to react, develop, and grow, and although Iron Man casts a shadow on the narrative (and is Peter's driving influence) it's still 100% a Spider-Man show.

About the first mid-credits scene: who was the guy with the scar who confronted Batman? I figure it's the thug from the ferry that got a car smashed into him, but I'm not sure about that.
Yep, also he was The Scorpion
Old 07-09-2017, 05:03 PM

That was the head thug from the Ferry, Mac Gargan, aka the Scorpion
Old 07-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Conquers the World

That was Nacho from Better Call Saul
Old 07-09-2017, 07:05 PM
oh my car

A lot to like in this movie, but I like Peter's nerd friends maybe best. And representing the concept of a teen boy being nervous around his date's protective dad by making the scene simultaneously about that and threatening to murder him was a stroke of genius.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:07 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That was Nacho from Better Call Saul
That was Vaas from Far Cry 3
Old 07-10-2017, 08:02 AM
is Earnest

I saw this on Saturday. I liked it. They did a great job fitting it in to the MCU, and the twist part way through worked really well. I still think that Raimi's first two movies had better storytelling, but Homecoming was a really fun take on Spiderman.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 AM
noble beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The second credits scene is really good, though. Worth the wait.
Yes, it really was. It's the only one that has been.

This was an excellent movie! Less affecting than Guardians 2, but much funnier. Kinda weird that Gwynyth Paltrow got like third billing. (Not inexplicable weird; I get it...) She was the best part of the last MCU movie she actually starred in, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
The only downer is that, as a child of 80s Spider Man, this being successful means we won't get a "dropped out of college and juggling several hot women" era film any time soon.
I mean, this got pretty close, particularly to the latter aspect.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:36 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I know, and really Spidey TAS will always be there if I truly need to revisit that era. It's just that Peter in high school hasn't ever really turned my crank in terms of the character.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:59 AM
It's all good, man

Spider-Man has spent at least part of four out of six live action films in high school despite graduating what, three years into his 55 year comic history?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Find Your Reason

My favorite moment in the movie was when Peter arrived at Liz's house to have Batman greet him. There was an instant gasp from the audience, but a split-second later some guy in the theater let out an incredulous, and very loud, "Noooooooo...!" and the entire audience BURST into laughter that lasted well into the kitchen scene.

I think I was the only one who laughed when Happy said, "I've been carrying [this ring] in my pocket for eight years," though

About High-School Spidey: he was introduced as a kid in Civil War. We knew well in advance how old he was gonna be in this one
Old 07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Is there not one thing

College-age Peter Parker always left me cold as a kid. Especially in the early 90s, when he was in some kind of super-science grad school program where he was always messing with big shiny machines instead of going to class. It just felt like something to get out of the way so he could fight Rhino.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:16 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
About High-School Spidey: he was introduced as a kid in Civil War. We knew well in advance how old he was gonna be in this one
What I meant was that, after Amazing 2 triggered the reboot instinct, I was hoping they'd have skewed a bit older rather than younger. Now, they're not going to reboot again until Holland's Peter is college-aged anyway!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 PM
It's all good, man

Having not begun reading comics until Peter was fully an adult, I don't mind other pop culture portrayals of him skewing towards his younger, formative years.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Fair enough, although I don't get the "Peter's only relateable if he's in high school!" line of thinking. As you noted, that hasn't been the case for a long time.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

He's most relatable in college, but his career can only start in high school.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo