The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > Let's Play Already

Old 05-17-2017, 01:29 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Default LET'S STREAM SONIC 3 COMPLETE - The Agony & The Ecstasy & Knuckles

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Let's Stream Sonic 3 Complete!

Sonic 3 Complete is a Romhack of Sonic 3 And Knuckles, with the most recent version released in August 2013. It adds a whole mess of changes and options, but if I had to nail down a single primary goal of the hack, it would be to create the Sonic 3 that would have existed if the game had never been split in 2 to create Sonic & Knuckles. There are a lot of little differences, most of which I honestly couldn't care less about, but I'll try and point out the big ones when they come up. Mostly, I'm just happy for a version of the game where I can get Tails to give Sonic a Lift without juggling two controllers.

All footage for this let's play was streamed live to my Hitbox channel... wait shit I mean... my Smashcast Channel? What the fuck is a Smashcast?! WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?! Well whatever it's called now, you can feel free to watch live and join in the chat whenever I'm recording. You know, if you aren't immediately driven away by Hitbox's TERRIBLE new name. "Smashcast" I mean fucking seriously.

YOUTUBE PLAYLIST

Last edited by BEAT; 05-19-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:50 PM

POLOUGE BONUS POST!
STRUCTURALLY SPEAKING, SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES IS HELLA WEIRD.

So as everybody on earth already knows, Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were originally supposed to be one massive game, but got split into two smaller video games at some point in development. Sega could have just said "fuck you it's two games now deal with it" but instead they quickly patented LOCK ON TECHNOLOGY, so we could literally smash the two games back into a single whole. The resulting Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles is absolutely a better experience than playing either one separately, but it's not without some side effects that are, well, weird.

Take the "story". Sonic & Tails head over to the island where the dastardly Dr. Robotnick crashed his Not-Death-Star, only to discover that it's a totally magic island inhabited by a red fellow who's about as smart as a bag of rocks. Starting in a pleasant wooded area, they make their way to Robotnick's emergency launchpad, fuck up his stupid space station, and save the day!

And then they fall back to the surface and end up in another pleasant wooded area, make their way to another emergency launchpad, and fuck up his stupid space station again. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to fuck up Robotnick's stupid space station, but "save the day twice" isn't exactly the most sensible way to structure a 16-bit platformer.

The other obviously impacted area is the series's traditional optional content, the Chaos Emeralds. In the first 6 levels you can find big rings, which take you to special stages where you can get your cool rocks. Get all 7 and you're rewarded with Super Sonic... until level 7, where going into a big ring means losing your 7 cool rocks and super form, and getting presented with another 7 special stages. There's no justification for why level 7 the cutoff point, that's just where the Sonic & Knuckles half of the game starts, so that's where it happens.

Wierdly, Sonic 3 Complete's attempts to restore the original version of Sonic 3 makes some of the instances of 2 games in one more noticeable. One of the things plugging the two games together does is make the S3 levels easier, to make the sudden drop in difficulty between the last level of S3 and the first level of S&K a little less Jarring. Sonic 3 Complete restores the layouts to their original Sonic 3 Difficulty. It also drops one of the S&K levels between some S3 levels, because that's where it was before the games got hacked to bits. That's undeniably cool, but since the special stage situation I described in the last paragraph remains unchanged, it means more time spent with Chaos emerald set 1, and drastically less chances to get set 2.

I must stress, none of that stuff I just pointed out makes the game I'm playing bad. S3&K is a timeless classic because it's fucking awesome and the changes this romhack adds are all totally optional and largely excellent. Besides, Chaos Emerald Availability isn't even going to matter with the way this LP is gonna work.

HOW IS THIS LET'S PLAY GONNA WORK?

You see what I did there? With the SEAMLESS TRANSITION? That was slick as hell man I'm good at this! Where was I oh right the let's play, right right.

This playthrough will be done using a 100% complete new game + file, meaning I already have both sets of emeralds. That means I'll be able to ignore the special stages, which I feel break up the flow of things in video form. It also means I'll be able to use the incredibly game breaking Hyper Sonic whenever the hell I want. Fortunately this hack gives the Godmode version of Sonic something Sega never thought you'd need: A way to turn him off. So instead of just using him to totally remove any semblance of challenge, I'll just drag him out whenever I wanna show off the dumb shit you can do with him.

Commentary will still consist of me shooting the shit with a bunch of cool internet friends who don't give a crap about the game itself though. Some things never change.

Last edited by BEAT; 05-19-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Default I TOTALLY RE-WROTE THIS POST LIKE 3 TIMES.

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 01

ANGEL ISLAND ZONE

BACK WITH A VENGEANCE
FanboyMaster - MarsDragon - MuteKi - Rebelfire

IT'S BEEN SO LONG, YOU THOUGHT I LEFT YOU
BUT I WAS IN JAIL WITH MY NEPHEW.

NOTES
  • ONE MIGHT BE TEMPTED TO THINK OF ANGEL ISLAND ZONE AS A BOG-STANDARD GREENHILL CLONE. But it's actually a pretty radical departure from it's two predecessors. The blocky Checkerboard walls and perfectly manicured grass of the first two games has been replaced with something that actually looks kind of like a real jungle, with dirt that looks like dirt, plants that look like plants and rocks that look like rocks. It's a great use of the Genesis's limited graphical power, and just darn pretty to look at!
  • THEN THE WHOLE STAGE GETS BURNED DOWN LESS THAN 2 MINUTES IN. Haha eat shit nature.
  • I FUCK AROUND WITH HYPER SONIC A BIT, SO LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT. In vanilla S3&K, Hyper Sonic is activated whenever you do an insta-shield with 50+ rings, and will stay powered up until his ring count reaches zero or you enter a bonus stage. S3 Complete improves upon this immensely by making it so hyper sonic Will only be activated by the A button instead of all 3 of em, and gives you the option to switch back to normal Sonic the same way.
  • THE BIT AT THE END OF ACT 2 WITH THE BLIMP DROPPING A MILLION BOMBS IS AN AUTOSCROLLER. All you have to do is hold right and you'll never get hit. Well, Sonic will never get hit. Tails will suffer like no man has ever suffered.
  • BRIDGE JUMP GLITCH. For some reason the game gives you control when Knuckles blows up the bridge in the post-boss cutscene, giving you a one-frame window to jump back to land instead of fall into the next level like you're supposed to. It's the dumbest trick ever, which means I have to do it every single time I play.
BEAT: I'm gonna hit soft reset, and that'll be the official start of this let's play, and I'll do like an official introduction and tell all you assholes to shut up. So yeah.
MarsDragon: I refuse.
BEAT: I know you refuse.
MarsDragon: I will speak up, just to fuck up your own introduction.
BEAT: I know Mars, and that's why that entire thing was a ruse because we already started! WELCOME TO SONIC CLASSIC HEROES! FUCK I MEAN SONIC 3 COMPLETE

Last edited by BEAT; 05-19-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: THERE IS NO LOGIC BEHIND MY ACTIONS.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:45 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

While it is not currently Sonic 3 & Knuckles Awareness Month, I still very much appreciate this LP. ... Where's that TT "like" button?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 02

HYDROCITY ZONE

SPLASH ZONE SEATS
FanboyMaster - MarsDragon - MuteKi - Rebelfire

Behold, the only good water level in video game history.

NOTES
  • HYDROCITY ZONE IS FUCKING FAST. The water levels in Sonic 1 and 2 are not really that well-liked, partially because of just how painfully slow they can get. Hydrocity sidesteps that particular pitfall by making sure that you're at close to top speed as much as possible. I don't think I had to wait for a bubble at any point in this video.
  • TAILS SPECIFIC ROUTE. In this case Sonic's intended Route right after landing in the beginning is straight to the right and through a lengthy underwater section, but if you're playing as Tails, or just have him to give you a lift, you can reach another-above water path. In standard S3&K, that means getting your brother be player 2, but Sonic 3 Complete lets you pull it off with just one controller.
  • FUCK THE ACT 1 MINIBOSS. Just... fuck em.
  • KNUCKLES & HIS COOL BUTTON. There didn't have to be a bridge there. The game could have just let us drop down that shaft and continue to the boss with no fanfare. Instead it takes a completely ordinary drop, and uses it to make sure nobody forgets that Knuckles is a total asshole.
  • I CHEESE THE BOSS WITH HYPER SONIC. Because lol fuk u.
BEAT: That was all I wanted to say. You may resume pissing me off with your bullshit conversation that I hate. [...] It's not that I'm mad at you, but I have to be the center of attention at all times.

Last edited by BEAT; Yesterday at 10:02 AM. Reason: SPLASH ZONE, AS IN THE SEATS CLOSE TO THE TANK AT SEA WORLD. WELL, PRE "BLACKFISH" SEA WORLD, ANYWAYS.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 PM
STATACTATON

God, the water slides in that stage that send you flying up the entire vertical height of the stage are just awesome. It's exhilarating just to watch.

Tags
& knuckles , hyper , keyboard vomit from beat , sonic the hedgehog , video lp