The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I'm really dreading that thing's release. Not (just) because it's an Adam Sandler cash-in,
Boo! I wanted to see it but now I'm iffy
Quote:
but if it flops, it might kill Genndy Tartakovsky's career.
...so wait, now I'm conflicted. Should I see it or not?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I'm really dreading that thing's release. Not (just) because it's an Adam Sandler cash-in, but if it flops, it might kill Genndy Tartakovsky's career.
I'm more or less optimistic. According to recent interviews they actually had Tartakovsky on the film earlier than we thought, fairly soon after they got Adam Sandler. So I think his hand is gonna be fairly evident in the finished product. And he's already attached to a couple of things after this; a Popeye movie and an original project. I think he'll be fine.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:27 PM
100% All Original

Is Hotel Transylvania a thing people are looking forward to? The trailers I've seen make it look incredibly bland and unfunny.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Conquers the World

Yeah, because it's Genndy Tartakovsky's first time directing a feature. Basically we're hoping the trailers are showcasing all the crowd-pleasing schlock parts and aren't entirely indicative of the quality of the finished product? It's not entirely unreasonable to expect that from a comedy directed at mainstream audiences, I don't think.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylor View Post
Okay, so I dared an uninformed view of the second punisher movie last night: Punisher: War zone and bloody hell did I regret it, at least the first iteration had John Travolta and the tragedy, though telegraphed and executed a little clumsily, was effective at making the audience dislike the villains and make the payoff somewhat satisfying, even if things like pacing, characterization and tone were off.

This movie gets rid of that ambivalence by getting everything wrong; jigsaw is too goofy to be scary or even remotely treathening, and Castle's tragedy is just referenced in flashbacks, rendering him even less sympathetic, part of this problem is that the movie can't decide if it wants to focus on him or Jigsaw, and the end result is that a one dimensional villain gets too much padding, while a hero that should be interesting remains underdeveloped, thus is not interesting either, the climax is...well, anticlimactic and laughably uninteresting because there is no sense of threat from the antagonists, and the support characters might as well dress up as trees and brick walls for all they add to the movie. And of course the gore is so extreme it comes right back and starts being far more goofy than it is "edgy". All in all a very poor reboot that tried to rescue the Punisher name but made things worse. C'est la vie.
The best part of Punisher: Warzone is that one scene in which Frank kills a random Parkour-ing crook with a rocket-launcher in mid-jump and also when Frank shoots some mook that the police chief was in the middle of reading the Miranda Rights to, and the chief is more annoyed then shocked or horrified.

Really, Franks spur-of-the-moment murders (or "Spurders") are the films highest points.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 PM
RAD RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The best part of Punisher: Warzone is that one scene in which Frank kills a random Parkour-ing crook with a rocket-launcher in mid-jump and also when Frank shoots some mook that the police chief was in the middle of reading the Miranda Rights to, and the chief is more annoyed then shocked or horrified.

Really, Franks spur-of-the-moment murders (or "Spurders") are the films highest points.
Agreed, my favorite is when he PUNCHES A HOLE RIGHT THROUGH SOMEONE'S FACE.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
Is Hotel Transylvania a thing people are looking forward to? The trailers I've seen make it look incredibly bland and unfunny.
It looks no less intolerable than anything else that kids flock to.

Also, the last time I saw a mediocre-looking Sony Pictures animated movie helmed by someone I loved it turned out to be incredible.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:59 PM
It's all good, man

Man, War Zone is not supposed to be edgy. Listen to the scenes you're describing. It's hilarious and much better than the Tom Jane one.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:29 PM
120 Days

Plus it prompted Dizzy to coin the term: paleo-conservatism. Which rules.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I believe Dizzy also coined "superhuman bodysex" which is among one of the best things ever uttered, whether spoken or typed.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM
RAD RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Man, War Zone is not supposed to be edgy. Listen to the scenes you're describing. It's hilarious and much better than the Tom Jane one.
It is but the movie gets no points for it because it's trying to take itself seriously creating tone consistency dissonance, it´s like that first scene in Dead Space 2 when the guy's face peels off and screams at you two centimeters from your face; it's meant to scare you but what everyone did instead was laugh out loud. It's the kind of really clumsy and goofy violence that belongs in a campy setting like evil dead or HTF, but here it's attempted to be used as a device to tell a story with a completely different tone which tells me the movie doesn't know what it's trying to be.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

There's an episode of the podcast How Did This Get Made where they "review" Punisher: Warzone with the movie's director. It's a pretty good insight into what the director was trying to accomplish, as long as you don't mind listening to three comedians gush about a movie you hate.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 AM

No no no man. I don't think Punisher: War Zone is intentionally over-the-top and stupid at all. That's the charm: the earnest conviction of it all. It's the Death Wish III of our times (man, this is like the 100th time I've said this). And I loved the fact that a women auteur was responsible for it.

And now I gotta listen to that podcast.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Yeah, because it's Genndy Tartakovsky's first time directing a feature. Basically we're hoping the trailers are showcasing all the crowd-pleasing schlock parts and aren't entirely indicative of the quality of the finished product? It's not entirely unreasonable to expect that from a comedy directed at mainstream audiences, I don't think.
Same here.

I guess it's too much to hope that the trailer scenes are the only one Adam Sandler is in, though.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Face/Off has a great concept and it was almost executed well. I think the story just needed more polishing (and less... magnet boots, what the fuck) and an auteur less clumsy than John Woo behind it. Yeah, I know the guy's repute is elegant, balletic action but all the action is weak here. This could have been an action thriller version of A Face of Another.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Find Your Reason

It also needed stunt doubles with at least a similar build and passing resemblance to the actors they were substituting.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Family Man

I went into The Raid without knowing anything but the basic premise and that the Action Cast! guys loved it. It was indescribably good. I mean, damn, where did this movie come from!? How did the most populous Muslim nation in the world* make the best pure action movie in a decade?

*I'm not saying being a practitioner of a certain faith means one can't make great action movies, it's just the only thing I know about Indonesia.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 PM

I re-watched Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Spoilers ahead.

I like it, but don't love it. Something keeps it back from favorite or classic status for me, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I like the Goblin Score a lot. I think the slightly sinister electronic soundtrack perfectly foreshadows the doom to come. I've never seen it but I suspect I would like the Euro cut, with wall to wall Goblin more than American Version.

I also like the main four characters. The dynamic setup among them is great. They have their differences that divide them, but more often than not they find ways to work together in order to survive.

The things I don't like: the fx work, the pacing and the ending. I realize Dawn of the Dead is a low budget movie, but the blue face-paint zombies are pretty disappointing to me. There are certain zombies like, Roger that get full decaying/aging makeup. And others, just have light coat of blue face paint. The fx work is very inconsistent in my mind. The shotgun blasts and neon red blood are great though.

The pacing has always felt a little slack to me. I couldn't identify what to cut, but I wished the run time was around 90-100 minutes instead of 125 minutes.
The crew doesn't have full control of the mall until about 3/4's of the way into the film and the middle drags a bit for me.

I have always disliked the ending of Dawn of the Dead. That rival humans wreck the small group's utopia, seems like a fine ending. Its very good in that humans, not zombies ultimately wreck the situation. But the biker gang is so campy in this film. They throw cream pies and squirt seltzer water. That gang has always been too goofy for me.

Despite my criticisms I like the movie. Its 4/5 territory for me. I also really like the beginning. I like when the one legged priest warns Peter and Roger about playing god. I also noticed this time when Peter kills all the zombies in the apartment basement that he has a slight tear in his eye. For whatever reason I missed that in prior viewings.

If I have time, I will re-watch Day of the Dead. My personal favorite of the Romero Zombie films.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
the blue face-paint zombies are pretty disappointing to me.
A big part of that is them being undone by their own nerdiness. They worked out how much time has elapsed since Night of the Living Dead (I used to know this, 2 weeks? 2 months? Something like that?) and looked into the condition a corpse would be in after that amount of time- Not visibly decaying at all really, just, blue skin and bloated ankles from the blood draining down. It really isn't much to look at at all, but it's accurate.

Now, Day (which is the one that really had to compromise for budget reasons, forcing them to totally scrap the original script and all) was set later still, at a point when really visible decay is going to be setting in, which is why there we have pretty much the best looking zombies from anything shambling about.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
I re-watched Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

I have always disliked the ending of Dawn of the Dead. That rival humans wreck the small group's utopia, seems like a fine ending. Its very good in that humans, not zombies ultimately wreck the situation. But the biker gang is so campy in this film. They throw cream pies and squirt seltzer water. That gang has always been too goofy for me.
See this is why they've always worked for me, they're not the standard Road Warrior Biker army. They're just a bunch of assholes, which in a way is even scarier.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Conquers the World

My friend showed me this article about the inspiration for The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure which features the funniest sentence ever written.

Quote:
... Viselman found himself in a theater showing Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail, marveling at the way the audience shouted out advice to the characters and generally made the screening a community event instead of a solitary two hours.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
A big part of that is them being undone by their own nerdiness. They worked out how much time has elapsed since Night of the Living Dead (I used to know this, 2 weeks? 2 months? Something like that?) and looked into the condition a corpse would be in after that amount of time- Not visibly decaying at all really, just, blue skin and bloated ankles from the blood draining down. It really isn't much to look at at all, but it's accurate.

Now, Day (which is the one that really had to compromise for budget reasons, forcing them to totally scrap the original script and all) was set later still, at a point when really visible decay is going to be setting in, which is why there we have pretty much the best looking zombies from anything shambling about.
Sure the blue skin tone might be accurate, but wouldn't the blue tint be in all over their skin? The skin tone makeup is very sketchily applied.

I realize George was working on a shoe string budget. IIRC the actors probably did some make up themselves and/or the fx team had to make up like a ton of extras in a short time. I know why the makeup is not perfect, but bad makeup has always disappointed me a little bit.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Remembers Love

I don't think there's a greater disparity between an actual movie and how pop culture remembers it than with Saturday Night Fever. A couple of scenes are over the top, perhaps, and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning remains my favorite angry young man movie [with Saturday Night in the title], but it's still a pretty great period piece.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 PM

I did re-watch Romero's Day of the Dead. Its my personal favorite of the Romero Zombie movies. SPOILERS AHEAD.

I like the way Day of the Dead pits civilian planning vs. military planning. I also like how Dr. Frankenstein is clearly out of it. His research is slow, impractical and its demands endanger the group. Despite being largely out of touch, he has one of the best lines in the film: Where would you go captain? He asks this When Rhodes suggests shooting all the zombies and flying elsewhere.

It is a bleak film though. The mainland has lost power. Zombies outnumber humans 40,000 to 1. Sarah's love interest is cracking under pressure and his mental state drives him away from everyone. Unlike Dawn, the characters can't seem to get along. In a lot of cases shear force decides which course of action is taken. Its a chilling premise: In desperate times the practical thought and compromise are eschewed in favor of might and power.

The fx, that I found disappointing in Dawn are awesome in Day. There are a few goofy bits here and there, but by and large the practical fx of Day hold up very well. Its Savini and Nicotero in great form.

The pacing is also much tighter. Day is 102 minutes and Dawn is 126. I personally like the tighter cut of Day. Its pacing gives it a forward momentum that Dawn lacks for me at times.

Its nice to re-visit an old favorite and find that it holds up well.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
It's all good, man

I figured it out. Paul Thomas Anderson is our replacement for Stanley Kubrick.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 PM

More like every white American male filmmaker with pretensions of profundity and subversiveness heavily imitate Stanley Kubrick.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM
It's all good, man

Yeah but he's the one who's good at it, and also does enough of his own thing.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 PM
concentrate

Yeah, PTA is definitely one of my favorite directors. Definitely looking forward to see The Master.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Inscaper

Lawless isn't bad, there's just not a whole hell of a lot to it.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Hawkguy

V/H/S was a bit of a disappointment. The only segment I liked was the last one but it ended just as it started getting interesting.

Night of the Demons (2009) was boring. Edward Furlong has not aged well at all. Also the one character I liked died. I thought he was the male protagonist.

A Haunting in Salem is how not to make a horror movie. I shouldn't burst into laughter when the MC pours gasoline on his dead family.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road