The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I'm not in a place where I can deal with horror in general or that kind of horror in particular, but part of what has drawn me back to Aronofsky over the years is his sense of when to flip the switch from looming dread to a moment of white-hot terror and disgust.
He's Refn, but with emotions.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I cannot comprehend. I was going to come in here to say how disappointed I was that Turbo Kid wasn't as whimsical as it looked and ended up just having a bunch of stupid blood and gore, so I turned it off after about 15 minutes. Now just reading about this mother movie has given me an upset stomach. Super cool.
Hrm that's weird: Turbo Kid made the round here, but I went in knowing it was low budget BMX road warrior with gore. Like - it was sold as such in trailers and so forth.

But based on the above description of mother!'s Salo like depravity: not a movie for you.

I like horror moves and such. But i do believe not all art is to be enjoyed, or even to be entertainment. Salo is one of my favourite movies, and I never want to see it again.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 AM
Better be the real thing.

I watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With me on Sunday, and got blindsided by The Belladonna of Sadness last night, so I don't think I'll be in the mood for something like mother! anytime soon.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
I like horror moves and such. But i do believe not all art is to be enjoyed, or even to be entertainment. Salo is one of my favourite movies, and I never want to see it again.
This is a great way of putting it, and I remember first being able to put that exact feeling into similar terms after seeing another Aronofsky movie (Black Swan). Specifically: That was fantastic, and I never ever want to see that again.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:27 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
This is a great way of putting it, and I remember first being able to put that exact feeling into similar terms after seeing another Aronofsky movie (Black Swan). Specifically: That was fantastic, and I never ever want to see that again.
I think there is a lot to be said about being confrontational. This can be thematically rich (Salo) or just hilarious (Pink Flamingos). being horrified and repulsed is a legit emotional response. I'll say i've not quite shaken Neon Demon, and I've lost most of the texture in IT.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Find Your Reason

Pretty much! I'm glad mother! shook me out of my comfort zone as hard as it did in order to deliver its messages; I'm glad I saw Fight Club so that at least I know what it TRIES to say even I believe it failed; I'm glad I saw Grave of the Fireflies because, well, you know.

But I don't think I ever want to see any of those again. Even if I own Grave on DVD.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Hrm that's weird: Turbo Kid made the round here, but I went in knowing it was low budget BMX road warrior with gore. Like - it was sold as such in trailers and so forth.

But based on the above description of mother!'s Salo like depravity: not a movie for you.

Yeah, I didn't know much about the film, just saw the silly title art and a couple nonspecific recommendations here. I guess I just feel like I don't have enough time left in life to give any of it over to feeling crappy. I do like some violent movies and horror movies, but they tend to be of a certain vintage now, or maybe the more recent wave of PG-13 fantasy movies that are fairly bloodless (Clash of the Titans or Hercules). I need some camp and a silver lining of humanity to see me through.

I know I'm pretty out of touch, and I don't feel like I want to be challenged. I want to be comforted.

That reminds me. I did enjoy The Good Dinosaur last week. It was certainly a throwback to like a 1990 kid's movie formula, but in a really nice way. Including aspects of danger and fear that I feel like more contemporary kid's movies try to avoid. It's also pretty much a Hudson River School landscape painting come to life, which was very enjoyable and overwhelming at times.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:28 PM
This Guy

If it is the gore itself that turned you off, I can't say anything in Turbo Kid's defense. It is cartoonishly gory. But there is also a surprising amount of heart in Turbo Kid. It has that gore, which is something usually avoid but in Turbo Kid it is so over the top and obviously fake that it mostly didn't bother me, but it is mixed with a completely sincere and occasionally touching coming of age romance. It is more than the simple joke it initially appears to be.

Fury Road aside, Turbo Kid is probably my favorite movie from 2015.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:30 PM
It's all good, man

Lincoln aside, Grant is probably the best President of the 1860s
Old 09-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
He's Refn, but with emotions.
A point of difference that occurs to me is that Aronofsky's characters are broken down by a horrific world, while Refn's characters carry horrors inside them.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I'm hopefully seeing mother! this weekend but all the comments here make me think I should warn my girlfriend beforehand. She doesn't handle scary movies so well.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I'm hopefully seeing mother! this weekend but all the comments here make me think I should warn my girlfriend beforehand. She doesn't handle scary movies so well.
Yyyyyyeah she's gonna want to read the spoilers on this one.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Is there not one thing

Caught a couple minutes of Predator (the "boy scout bullshit" scene where the team sets traps for the big showdown) and I am once again amazed by how well everything in the movie fits together. Sound design, music, cinematography, damn.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Is there not one thing

I'm certain someone has written an essay about the importance of music to Predator, but hell if I have found it yet.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Video Monster

I've loved Predator for a long time, but I realize I don't rightly know anything about who was behind it, creatively. I need to rewatch it sometime soon with a discerning eye.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:20 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Lincoln aside, Grant is probably the best President of the 1860s
I had to acknowledge that Fury Road exists, but the magnitude of its greatness means that it can't be fairly considered among the works of mere mortals. Its like calling something the brightest star in the sky even though the sun is right there.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I liked IT okay but some of the special effects were reminiscent of The Ring and it just kinda took me out of the movie.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Predator? Damn fine movie, and it's getting a rebootquel, written and directed by the same guy who played Hawkins in the original.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Predator? Damn fine movie, and it's getting a rebootquel, written and directed by the same guy who played Hawkins in the original.
I dunno if even Shane Black can catch lightning in a bottle again, but he understands his source material very well.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:39 AM
This Guy

It's hard to argue with the one-two punch of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys. I'm not sure how well they translate into Predator, but I'm there for anything Shane Black is doing.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:47 AM
It's all good, man

Watched Deja Vu last night.

So, like, the movie starts in a failed loop where Denzel from another timeline failed to stop Caviezel, right? Because all of the clues he leaves when he goes back are already there. The movie only presents the final successful loop. I wonder how many Denzels died trying to save that ferry.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 PM
This Guy

Kingsman: The Golden Circle opens with the villain forcing one henchman to put another henchman into a meat grinder, cooking the ground human meat and then forcing the surviving man to eat a human burger. It gets more mean-spirited from there. Fuck that movie.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Kingsman: The Golden Circle opens with the villain forcing one henchman to put another henchman into a meat grinder, cooking the ground human meat and then forcing the surviving man to eat a human burger. It gets more mean-spirited from there. Fuck that movie.
I have a morbid question: is the "delitized" henchman alive when he's ground?

Neither answer will get me to the watch the movie, but one will make me despair a little less.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Your first warning was Mark Millar.

No matter what degree of balls-out crazy action scenes trailers were throwing, that was a dealbreaker for me. Pretty much the only movie he'd been involved in/had his work adapted from I checked out was the first Kick-Ass movie. I heard enough to warn me away from the second.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:06 AM
It's all good, man

Matthew Vaughn is a guy I trust to take Mark Millar's excess and turn it into something interesting, but I get that others don't feel that way.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Caught a couple minutes of Predator (the "boy scout bullshit" scene where the team sets traps for the big showdown) and I am once again amazed by how well everything in the movie fits together. Sound design, music, cinematography, damn.
The one and only problem I have with Predator is that it's pretty well established throughout the movie that violent machismo is the worst trait to bring to a fight against Predator, as that's how he chooses his victims, it is nonetheless violent machismo that allows Arnold to persevere and kill it.

Which Predator responds to by nuking a sizeable chunk of the rainforest, because he's a sore loser...

Not actually sure if that undercuts my point
Old 09-22-2017, 08:19 AM
120 Days

Only sort of. It was vulgar displays of power that attract the predator. It is cunning and intelligence that defeats it.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
I have a morbid question: is the "delitized" henchman alive when he's ground?

Neither answer will get me to the watch the movie, but one will make me despair a little less.
He's alive and goes in head first. He's not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Your first warning was Mark Millar.

No matter what degree of balls-out crazy action scenes trailers were throwing, that was a dealbreaker for me. Pretty much the only movie he'd been involved in/had his work adapted from I checked out was the first Kick-Ass movie. I heard enough to warn me away from the second.
I've skipped every other movie based on a Mark Millar comic, unless you actually count Civil War and Logan, which took very little from the stories they are based on.

I thought this, based on a Millar concept but not a Millar story, might be the delightful romp it is selling itself as. But no, it doubles down on his brand of immature "edgy" bullshit. There is a deep cynicism in this movie that it completely at odds with its attempts to be a fun, over the top send-up of spy movies. It is soul deadening and hateful to its very core. I've seen worse made movies, but I can't really think of any I've liked less.

The writer and director of this is the guy people want to be handed Superman? Fuck that.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Mystery Contraption

To be fair, and against all human logic, his Superman comics were all really good.

It's also strongly suspected that he didn't write those, which would explain a lot. Or else he's one of those guys that only creates anything worthwhile under a firm editorial yoke, like John K.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:47 AM
This Guy

I'm talking about letting Vaughn direct Superman movies. His best director credit to date is the 4th best X-Men movie, most of his work is trash.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road