The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-07-2015, 03:28 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Yeah, I watched both the other night and they were mad good. I can't even think about "Roy" without laughing. And Rick's reaction to Morty's game of Roy. And then his game of Roy and the crowd he draws, god that was funny.

Made me want to rewatch S1, see if I was a wrong idiot about it like usual

Edit: OH and the little stinger at the end of episode 2 made me laugh like a complete tool.

Edit 2: Er, might have been episode 1? The one with Einstein
Old 07-11-2015, 01:13 AM

I want a bird man action figure!
Old 07-11-2015, 02:02 AM

Bird Person rather?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:26 PM
It's all good, man

The attention to detail in the split quantum reality scenes was amaaaaazing
Old 07-28-2015, 06:12 AM
Outraged!

Watched it again yesterday mostly because I missed the post credit scene the first time. It did not disappoint.

I will mess with time. i will mess with time
Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 AM
Serial Thread Killer

Wait a sec is the new season starting?!? I totally haven't been paying attention!

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy I love this show.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM
borgn

The third episode was leaked and wow, not only does it have some amazingly potent emotional beats but it also keeps exploring some really high-concept sci-fi. This show, man. It's something pretty spectacular. I mean, I know you know that, but it keeps managing to top itself. The only thing I'm a little trepidatious about is reading nerd whining once it does an episode that's a little more standard-sitcom and people start to piss and bitch that it's irredeemable jumped the shark.

Yeah, I basically just have nothing but disdain for what other people think about things I enjoy. Go fuck yourself, right in both eyes.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
The third episode was leaked and wow, not only does it have some amazingly potent emotional beats but it also keeps exploring some really high-concept sci-fi.
Damn...what the hell was that episode. What you said here distills exactly why I think this show is so special. It exists as this kind of post-modern sci-fi but it's also highly character driven somehow and the characters are great and original. I liked the second episode the most so far because of gratuitous David Bowie space songs.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:43 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the second episode, the guy singing is from Flight of the Conchords? Top tier stuff.

And yeah, episode three ended in a doozy of an ending. Really liked it. It's Community roots shined through there (also didn't see the direct Community reference until a pal pointed it out later - those were some ice cold Dan Harmon daggers).
Old 08-12-2015, 06:19 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Old 08-17-2015, 12:35 AM

That was a pretty good episode of Farscape tonight.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:51 AM

I like that they took the obnoxious Family Guy flashback and turned it into a plot device that produced disaster.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:46 AM
borgn

Oh my god, that might have been one of the best episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. The last minute of the show and past the credits to the stinger? Holy - I mean, that's -

I have to go watch it again
Old 08-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Family Man

Penslyvester.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Photography Velociraptor might be the best throw-away character ever.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Oh my god, that might have been one of the best episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. The last minute of the show and past the credits to the stinger? Holy - I mean, that's -

That was the best. Close contenders also include "I've always loved you." "Yup." and getting Keith freaking David to give a big ol' speech when trying to figure out who's secretly an alien monster in a tense locked room situation. Both because hey, Thing reference, and also because I never don't want to listen to a big speech in that dude's voice, you know?

I also appreciate the altered intro!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Part of me was really upset when they made Mr Poopy Butthole into a real person purely for the sake of shock value and to laugh at 'LOL Alcoholism' with Beth, and part of me was laughing so hard I was wiping away the tears.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Goodbye!

Shock value has value when it works. That worked.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:21 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
I fucking called it as soon as the premise of the episode was clear. That didn't change how funny/tragic it was. That last line (before Rick's catchphrase) was absolutely devastating.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Not saying it didn't. Again, "...part of me was laughing so hard I was wiping away the tears." However I don't think the ending was as earned or affecting or actually as shocking as the week's before when Rick tried to kill himself and just kinda came off as a little edgy for edgy's sake.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Holy shit that episode was incredible. What the fuck.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:54 PM
i musnt run away

Quote:

I love this show so much that I've literally been afraid to come here to Talking Time to discuss it because I fear they will hate it and I can't live with having someone tear this show up and destroy it for me.

But have to post in this thread to say I know. I feel you man.

Something hit me when going through all the horrible memories that these people who love each other have to sift through so they know who not to kill...

There's a scene where Jerry flees in terror from a crazy old man in a parking lot. On the surface it looks like "Jerry's a coward and because Beth has to protect him from a ranting old man who doesn't scare her, she doesn't respect him." Bad memory, the end.

But there's another reading to that scene. First of all, Beth doesn't fear that crazy old man because Rick is her father. Being raised by him for however long it took him to run out on her and her mother she was exposed to enough insanity that some ranting old coot in a parking lot simply doesn't phase her.

But there's yet another reading to that scene. That crazy old man is Beth's father. If you look at the design and the drawing it doesn't look like him (actually it looks rather like Doc Brown, hint hint), but still, a wild, gray-haired old man just constantly shouting horrifying gibberish comes out of nowhere and Jerry flees in terror to the car and Beth goes to see him and, and it's Rick.

This is how she found Rick. That was the condition he was in when after all these years he turned up in her life again. Why else would he have agreed to live with them after all this time when so often he makes it crystal clear that their menial existence is boring and pathetic compared to the wonders he can weave? Because he was a god damned mess. Being with his kids, his grandkids, gives him some semblance of his sanity back.

So it's a show about this psychotic old man screaming horrors at your family all the time, doing god know's what when he's running off with his grandson all the time and Beth will not let him be taken away or thrown out because she loves him.

It's one of the most catastrophically sad things I've ever seen in my life.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:59 PM
i musnt run away

Also: Rick knows this. Because he always knows. He brings nightmares and terror and horror into his family's lives but he sticks around because he needs them to not degenerate into a complete gibbering godawful mess again. It's where he was going before Unity broke up with him again when his grandkids abandoned him. It's why he damn near killed himself.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:02 AM
i musnt run away

It's stuff like this where, yeah, they made a "joke" about Beth being drunk and accidentally giving Summer a black eye.

It's why there's a scene where a giant jellybean tries to rape Morty and Rick sees what happened within seconds of Morty returning to the table.

They're not trying to make you laugh. They're breaking your heart.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:11 AM

I don't think you're right and probably reading too much into that scene blinkpen. But god damnit do I want you to be right. So I'll make that my headcanon for now. It would be especially neat considering it would explain that scene Rick wigs out on the guy who knocked up his teenage girl, then sees his daughter and wigs out on her out of excitement, but to any onlooker there's no difference between his elation at his daughter and the fury at his son-in-law because he's that jacked up. Lord knows, it wouldn't take much for the writers to basically go back and make that the case by expanding a little on that.

I don't think this show is specifically out to break your heart. Like, I don't think this is a Tootsie scenario where it resembles a comedy on the surface but is actually a stinging commentary on gender roles/expectations; I think the comedy comes first here. But it's pretty clear at this point Dan Harmon has a big hard-on for writing/depicting co-dependent and mutually destructive relationships.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:25 AM
i musnt run away

There is a thin, thin line between tragedy and comedy. The reason we laugh is because if we couldn't there'd be no way to bear the unbearable.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 AM

Blinkpen don't read this: Yeah, that horrible rape sequence, the cloying and unearned sequence in which Morty buries himself, and their attempt to capture that "bit" again with the near-suicide in ep 3 of this season, they're all the worst parts of the show and the reason I took so long to finish it. They seem to be redoubling their efforts with the feel-bad stuff this season, so I might just stop and wait a year or so and read up on what they do. It's not enjoyable and it's not adding a layer of depth; it's all unearned and it's shit. There's no believability to any of it. And yeah, I know it's crazy sci-fi, why would it be believable, etc etc, but when you're dealing with this shit you've got to be purposeful, you can't just hit emotional triggers like that. I'm still yet to hear a decent explanation for just what the fuck they thought they were doing with King Jellybean because to me it felt like rape-as-drama in the most tasteless possible way.

I love the comedy and I wish I didn't have to combine that love with tolerance of their grimdark excess, it just doesn't work for me. But, obviously it does for many others.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:14 AM

I don't begrudge you your opinion at all Madhair, I don't think this show is for everyone, and even I think they wade into places that either are inappropriate or simply just not what I want right now because i just want to laugh and escape life for a while.

But I really dig this show, even the most fucked up parts. Because on the real, at least in my maudlin perspective, the whole universe is a severely fucked up place, and the best coping mechanism I've come across is to find humor where you can laugh, and try to put the bad shit out of sight/out of mind. And while that's probably not the most healthy way to see the world/live life, Rick & Morty clearly thinks the same way. And watching the show is like commiserating with someone who really gets me. And I appreciate the show laughing with me while also having a pretty open and forward dialog with me about all the fucked up shit that polite society - or hell even my friends and family - would rather ignore and pretend doesn't exist. It's kind of cathartic in its own twisted way.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:22 AM

Truthfully it's mostly that Jellybean bit and the burying yourself thing. The former was just like "whoa, what? Why?" and the latter had this maudlin music over it even though it was effectively no different from anything else the show would have played for laughs.

If the show's mission statement or whatever is "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?" that just doesn't speak to me, it's not clever, it's not philosophically interesting, it's nothing more than nihilism and it's been embraced as profound, and, ugh. I'm not compatible with that.

Again, I still like the show a lot when it's being funny.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:24 AM
More than two problems

I think that's a perfectly normal reaction for someone who isn't from the United States, madhair. Nihilism cuts deeper and makes a lot more sense around here because of the way our country and culture operate. It's a jungle out here. Rick and Morty is a means of admitting it and laughing derisively at ourselves.

Tags
ball fondlers , doc and marty , grass tastes bad , nevernude , turbulent juice , two brothers