The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-19-2017, 04:20 AM
Out Of Warranty

I honestly am cool with a Night Nurse / Jessica Jones / Colleen Wing / Misty Jones X-over. Why do they have to throw it in all those extra characters?
Old 08-19-2017, 05:25 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Quick hits: Electra died at the end of DDs2, Misty Knight is awesome, Luke Cage went to prison for a bit and is seeing Rosario Dawson, and I skipped IF too, but he's hanging out with Colleen Wing.
All you need to know from Iron Fist is that Danny is the Worst Iron Fist Ever (like, for real, he's called that), his decision to go back to New York to get his fortune and company back cost the monks who raised him their lives when the Hand attacked after he left, and also the Hand has the ability to bring people back to life, but they lose a piece of their humanity in the process.

EDIT: Also, should Defenders have its own thread? Daredevil, JJ, and Luke Cage all did. (I notice that Iron Fist didn't merit one.)
Old 08-19-2017, 09:44 AM
oh my car

More threads.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:12 PM
whatever it takes

If we were smart we would have made a Netflix Marvel megathread

But it's too late now, and our sins will carry us to hell
Old 08-20-2017, 10:48 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I really wish Iron Fist was a better show. I left it hanging on episode 13 until tonight. I did legitimately like it but I tweeted a lot about how it's got so many problems. My perspective though is not that Danny Rand is a bad character as-is, it's just that his journey is terribly realized even though the show lays down all the groundwork for it to be good. Maybe it was budget issues, but the show could really have used some kind of flashbacks to Kun Lun and just really ripped off Kung Fu wholesale; the show needs an adhesive glue to illustrate whag the point is*, and flashbacks like that where you've got monks telling Danny all this martial art philosophy would be perfect for it. But as it is now, everybody's character arcs simply exist and there's nothing tying them together to really elevate the narrative at all. The Meechum's have the most cohesive overall story and it really made sense to me for Ward to kill his father at the end because goddamn did his dad fuck Ward up bad. Like in terms of narrative payoff this really is the Meechum story featuring Danny Rand even though he gets way more screen time.

* The point of the show in my opinion is an exploration of "living true to oneself" which is also conveniently a typical theme of Chinese martial arts movies. It's even in The Last Dragon and that fucking movie has way better narrative pay off than this show does.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 AM
King Of Space-Time

Via Polygon

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 director explains importance of the Microsoft Zune

It wasnít just thrown in as a one-off joke
Old 08-24-2017, 06:33 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
The point of the show in my opinion is an exploration of "living true to oneself" which is also conveniently a typical theme of Chinese martial arts movies. It's even in The Last Dragon and that fucking movie has way better narrative pay off than this show does.
And the characters in that can use their powers for more than just one punch per day.

(Danny Rand - not the One Punch Man you want.)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:22 AM
It's all good, man

The Inhumans premiere was pretty bad.

Black Bolt - He goes into his thinking hole and doesn't come out until after his brother's coup is pretty much complete. Then on Earth he steals clothes and fights with the cops for no reason. Also he uses sign language to communicate, except Medusa is still the only one who understands him.

Medusa - Now we know why they didn't put too much effort into making her hair work - she gets her head shaved one hour in. Now she's just kind of an overdressed lady who ain't afraid to stab a bitch.

Maximus - Instead of psychic powers, he's just a normal dude who speaks as a man of the people against the rest of the royal family. But if he has no powers, how did he take control of the royal guard so easily?

Gorgon - I'm not sure how his hooves fit into those boots, but he's all right. Except after getting to Earth he just kind of chills on the beach with some surfers.

Karnak - Karnak is cool because he doesn't have inhuman powers, he's just smart enough to find and exploit the flaws in things. So of course on the show, his abilities manifest as powers that give him some sort of control over time or something? Also he loses them after he hits his head.

Triton - Dead? Maybe not? Triton's never been that cool.

Crystal - She's Crystal, I guess. No ill-advised relationships yet.

Lockjaw - Lockjaw!

Humans - Look, I know that extradimensional aliens invaded New York five years ago, but your theory that there's a hidden civilization on the moon is completely ridiculous! Clean out your desk!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:32 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Medusa - Now we know why they didn't put too much effort into making her hair work - she gets her head shaved one hour in.
Christ.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:33 AM
Out Of Warranty

I'm at episode 7 of Defenders and finding it boring. How can a super-hero cross-over show be boring? Yet whenever Elektra and/or ninjas are on screen - which is like 75% of every episode - I find myself starting to snore.

Also getting tired of Night Nurse having to tell everybody they are awesome.

They are doing a fine job of keeping the personality of each Defender distinct, which makes the moments when they act OOC to keep the plot going more mystifying. Biggest ofender? Jessica Jones throwing a taxi at Elektra is good - but not taking advantage of that to deliver a footbal kick to Elektra's head while she was down? She would definitvely taken that advantage and finish the story four episodes earlier.

I also find frustrating that some events that had gravitas in each Defender's show were quickly glossed over because they had some action to get to. Luke Cage going back to jail at the end of his show? No problem, we'll just release him in the first five minutes of Defenders. Bleh.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:39 AM
noble beast

Quote:
Maximus - Instead of psychic powers, he's just a normal dude who speaks as a man of the people against the rest of the royal family. But if he has no powers, how did he take control of the royal guard so easily?
I didn't watch this, but I have watched television before. My initial suspicion: he does actually have powers. Keep us in the loop.

Disappointed this is bad. I've come back around to the Inhumans - their 90s miniseries was the first graphic novel I read. (that and Royals are the only Inhumans I've read. So losing her hair instead of using it feels like a total Medusa move)

BTW, does this explicitly take place in the MCU? I know the FoX-Men just comfortably have their series and movies take place in separate realities or ~timelines~ (excited for The Gifted which is apparently somewhere between mediocre and good, even if it does weirdly star Nazi twins)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:45 AM
It's all good, man

Yes, Inhumans, and Runaways later this year, are both part of the MCU.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:04 PM
noble beast

The Gifted is good, imo. It has an absolutely strange assortment of characters: Polaris, Blink, (sure to both) John, not James, Proudstar, (a little unusual) random new character, (TV adaptation tradition) and Fenris, the Nazi incest twins, only now they're teen heroes. (what on earth)

Many of my initial quibbles were satisfied by the second episode. Polaris has her green hair back. (green-haired ladies are my faves) And it seems like there's a shocking twist about the Fenris twins: they aren't Fenris!! They're not just random loose adaptations of Fenris, with like a cool prosecutor non-Nazi dad, but maybe clones of the Classic Nazi Fenris Twins. There's some Boys in Brazil shit going on? Bonkers.

Blink has green eye contacts which look pretty bad. She should have normal eyes and instead be painted vaguely pink with bright purple hair. This is no time for restraint.

Also, I watched the Mindy Project just before this, and Garrett "Jodi Kimball-Kinney" Dillahunt shows up in this also playing a doctor, Campbell. I thought there was an extremely strange crossover happening for a moment, but there's not. Apparently, he's playing a pre-existing character who I've never heard of because he appeared halfway through, uh, Excalibur.

Anyway, watch this. Watch The Mindy Project. Both in their final seasons, probably! What a shame.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:48 AM
It's all good, man

It's definitely better than Inhumans.

I don't understand why the kids are adapted from the Struckers - there's basically no similarities to the comic versions. And the MCU has already done the Baron as an actual Hydra Nazi.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:58 AM
noble beast

There are some similarities. Um, they're blond. Their dad is working for the bad guys. (less evil, but, um)

You'd think if they wanted twins, Northstar and Aurora are right there. Two possible explanations: a) the showrunner didn't want the boy to be gay (boo) or b) he has a steadfast commitment to randos and deep cuts. (yay) Apparently, Polaris, the themiest character on the show, was only introduced to be the Original Character's girlfriend.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:28 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
The Inhumans premiere was pretty bad.
i think it's great they've spent, what, 4+ years prepping for this, both through agents of shield and the comic books, and they're letting it die after eight episodes
Old 10-12-2017, 02:58 PM
noble beast

Maybe there just isn't much profit in continuing to try to make the Inhumans happen.

I actually like them, but were their recent comic series creative or commercial successes? (haven't read them) Is this series more likely to be a sleeper hit or, like, that V reboot? (oh my god, 15 million people watched the pilot! 2009!) Sometimes you gotta stop throwing good money after bad, unless we're talking about producing and purchasing X-Men comics, I guess.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I mean, the Inhumans push was mostly Perlmutter's baby, and once he got replaced as the head of Marvel's movie division that impetus faded away. That also killed the similar push in the comics.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:20 AM
It's all good, man

There's been at least one ongoing Inhumans book for several years now, which wasn't true in the past. They're more a consistent part of the universe now, but they were never gonna break out like the X-Men did.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Half-Ninja

Canít post it, but thereís a new Black Panther trailer
Old 10-17-2017, 02:51 PM
whatever it takes

I want to watch it more than anything, but the single trailer rule cannot be violated
Old 10-17-2017, 07:16 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I want to watch it more than anything, but the single trailer rule cannot be violated
Some of you live by very odd rules.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Highway To HFIL

It's not that weird to avoid trailers when almost every trailer basically just spoils the whole movie nowadays.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 PM
oh my car

I wish to see it, please.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Outer Spacean

For those who do want to see it. I personally am so hyped.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 PM
noble beast

Thrilling new music video I've watched over and over for the past few days. womp womp womp
Old 10-17-2017, 07:50 PM
noble beast

Here's what I wanna see: a bad trailer that does not leave me hyped. Does such a creature exist?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 PM
oh my car

Thank you. I want to see the movie.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:35 PM
Is there not one thing

Possibly the worst opening VO Iíve seen in a marvel trailer followed by deeply sikk use of The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. I want to see this more than any marvel flick in years
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Possibly the worst opening VO Iíve seen in a marvel trailer
Gotta remind people that they have already seen this character, I guess.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo