The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-15-2009, 12:45 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Default The Doctor Who Thread of Chronological Meddling

I thought Doctor Who probably deserved a general thread by now. The old thread had a slightly obscure name, so this one's more obvious.

Anyhoo, Waters of Mars is really good - I think it's my favourite Russell Davies episode in fact. It actually managed to surprise me on two separate occasions. I won't say now for fear of spoiling it, but it deserves a watch. It also shows the Christmas episode which looks very promising. Sven, you were right of course.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Mystery Contraption

Chances are that I'm not going to get a chance to see Water of Mars until the Season 5 DVD set comes out in February.

A DVD set which, incidentally, doesn't seem to be wallet-shattering this time! Hooray!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:01 PM
You wanna contract, Boss?

That was on Today? Arse, completely missed it (the BBC obviously didn't trail it during any of the shows I actually watch).

Oh, well, guess I'll watch the repeat on Wednesday.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Semi-Lurker

I really wish BBC America would actually air these things closer to the UK airdate. I know I'll get the specials box set when it finally comes out, and hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. Speaking of which, the singles for Next Doctor and Planet of the Dead were released out of order in the USA, was this done in the UK as well?

Also is there any significance to today in the UK? It seemed sort of odd that a series which traditionally aired on Saturday had its special aired on a Sunday instead.

So far though the specials have been really uneven for me. I loved half of the Next Doctor, but I was extremely disappointed with Planet of the Dead's characters and plot (or lack thereof.)
Old 11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
You wanna contract, Boss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_AnimeBum View Post
Also is there any significance to today in the UK? It seemed sort of odd that a series which traditionally aired on Saturday had its special aired on a Sunday instead.
I can't think of anythnig significant going on over here today, beyond the fact that the new season of Top Gear started today as well.

I'd imagine the real reason it's airing on a Sunday is that Strictly Come Dancing (the UK version of Dancing with the Stars) airs in the 1900 time slot that they'd probably want to air the show in, and it'd be too disruptive to that shows format to not air it for a week.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I Cuss You Bad

DiGiKerot, there's always iPlayer (assuming you're a Britisher).

Octo, I guess the reason Season 5's so cheap is because I'm guessing it's just the specials (so about three episodes).

Josh, I've also found the specials a bit uneven but I really liked this one. Again, Strictly Come Dancing is probably the reason for the odd day.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Semi-Lurker

Thanks to magical internet fairies, I just finished watching this. I agree with Phantoon that this one is definitely one of if not the best RTD episode so far. In fact if RTD's episodes were this good throughout the his run on the series, I wouldn't be in a rush to see him go. Hopefully, the last two will keep up this quality and provide a nice conclusion to Tennant's Doctor.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Octo, I guess the reason Season 5's so cheap is because I'm guessing it's just the specials (so about three episodes).
Well, each special is longer then the average episode, and (as I understand it) the finale is supposed to be two-specials, so the total runtime isn't that much lower then then the average season.

Going from $100 to $60 is still pretty damn enjoyable.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Hawkguy

I started the first season on Thursday! Man, that first episode's cheesy.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:56 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
I started the first season on Thursday! Man, that first episode's cheesy.
Wait, the very first season?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Wait, the very first season?
The one with Chris Eccleston
Old 11-16-2009, 08:38 AM
It's all good, man

I agree on this probably being Davies' best episode. Though I'm still looking forward to Moffat taking over.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:11 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Scary = awesome. After Davies stupid 'well, we don't want it to be too dark' speech on the commentary for The Next Doctor, it was great to see this one return to the classic formula of locking the Doctor in a space installation and then starting to kill people off around him. This formula always works.

Although memo to whomever wrote up the bios... Chris Hadfield was NASA's CapCom for about eight years, so Adelaide wouldn't have been the first non-US NASA candidate. I know Who's Brit-centric, but, c'mon.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Evocative

So apparently Michael Moorcock is writing a Dr. Who novel. I am intrigued.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Apart from the unapologetic darkness of the thing (the ending in particular was brilliant) I liked the distinct lack of Deus Ex Machina and the serious attempt to make kids terrified of household items that's in all great Doctor Who episodes. They've done statues (Blink) and shadows (Silence in the Library) and now they've done water. Soon kids will be afraid of everything and Doctor Who's mission will be complete.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Mystery Contraption

Don't forget managing to make children afraid of other frightened children (The Empty Child).

That takes skill, that does.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Don't forget that the new series started with a show about murderous shop window dummies and trash cans.

And then there were the Bluetooth headsets that sent tendrils into your brain.

And the killer TVs.

And killer catalytic converters.

And... fat. Although that episode was horrible.

So, really, they're most of the way there already. I expect Moffat's obsession with all things DVD to present us with cases that eat fingers or something.

Sounds like the finale's going to be in the vein of the Quantum Leap finale, which should be a lot of fun. Although Simm looks disturbingly like Jeff Jarrett with the blond hair.

PS - has anyone seen a link to the commentary that doesn't require iPlayer....
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
It's all good, man

Hey, who wrote three of those four episodes?

BaBAM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:10 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Hey, who wrote three of those four episodes?

BaBAM.
Yeah, it's Moffat's specific MO, but Phantoon's right, it's been a theme throughout the new series and probably back to the old one if I gave it more than a couple moments' thought, although the old series tended to be more about showing off alien environments than making ordinary objects terrifying. But the Autons got their start there, of course.

Good point on the lack of deus ex machina. Although in retrospect, this one did feel a bit like Impossible Planet's ending made less miraculous. But that's my favourite episode of the new series that's not titled Blink, so no harm in copying that.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Hawkguy

Having just finished the first season and is currently blazing through the second, I got to say that I'm preferring Tennant over Eccelston.

And I'm currently on the "Doctor Who vs The Devil" episode, and while it sounds like bad fanfic, it's pretty engrossing.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Hawkguy

That Donna chick is pretty annoying.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
That Donna chick is pretty annoying.
She thankfully is a lot less annoying when she becomes the permanent companion for season 4. Not my favorite, but they do tone down some of the shouting.

She also has the best "family member" side character, her grandfather Wilfred. He is all "go out and see the universe, Donna" instead of the bitching and whining that Jackie and Martha's mom do.

Edit: For what its worth you are also about to watch what I consider the most consistent season of new Who. They aren't all perfect, but there are no episodes truly cringe-worthy like "Love & Monsters" and "Fear Her" from season 2. Plus season 3 has Blink. Blink is awesome!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 AM

Oh, I started a Doctor Who thread a year ago, didn't I? It's best to start anybody off with Eccleston's season, since that one season best incorporates all of the elements that make Doctor Who what it is, basically, without having to know a thing beforehand.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_AnimeBum View Post
Edit: For what its worth you are also about to watch what I consider the most consistent season of new Who. They aren't all perfect, but there are no episodes truly cringe-worthy like "Love & Monsters" and "Fear Her" from season 2. Plus season 3 has Blink. Blink is awesome!
Honestly, I liked Love and Monsters, so I would say that season 2 is the best on the whole. But it's mighty close between that and 3.

Plus it has Doomsday and The Satan Pit. So you know where my loyalties lay.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 AM
It's all good, man

Blink is easily the best episode of Who I've seen, and Martha has one of the best asses I've ever seen on TV, so season 3 gets my nod.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Maggots! Numbnuts!

I really liked Love & Monsters. But yeah, Season 3's probably best overall. If you can ignore the last 10 minutes of the finale.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Cthulhu View Post
But yeah, Season 3's probably best overall. If you can ignore the last 10 minutes of the finale.
This is true of almost every finale of the new series. There is some fantastic buildup, but the resolution leaves you empty and sort of cheated. Like how in season 1 Rose literally becomes a godlike being to resolve the conflict.

Utopia was just amazingly awesome outside of the "futurekind" whose only purpose was to give us a "mortal danger style" cliffhanger (and as far as cliffhangers go, the true one is a hell of a lot more compelling than the danger one. Sound of Drums was pretty good, but yeah the last 10 minutes of Last of the Time Lords was complete garbage.

There was this spoiler heavy article on io9.com about things they hope RTD learned from the previous finales. I agree with a lot that is said there, and am secretly holding onto the hope that End of Time parts 1 & 2 are going to be as awesome as Waters of Mars was.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Hawkguy

I think the second season's finale would have been much better if Donna hadn't shown up. It should have ended on a more somber note.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Hawkguy

Ok, we're watching the first season of Torchwood before we start up season 3 of Doctor Who and I got to say, Torchwood Cardiff are a bunch of cocks.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Oh, I started a Doctor Who thread a year ago, didn't I? It's best to start anybody off with Eccleston's season, since that one season best incorporates all of the elements that make Doctor Who what it is, basically, without having to know a thing beforehand.
Except the entire damn thing took place either on Earth or in near-Earth-orbit. That stunk.

And the body count wasn't that high, but I get that they were trying to keep things acceptable for the kiddies that first year.

Torchwood was spectacularly awful in the first season. It got slightly better in season two, but even that had a bit to much of "LOOK! OUR LEAD CHARACTER IS BISEXUAL! AREN'T WE EDGY???". It's basically completely unnecessary to watch more than one episode to pick up on who the characters are.

2's got the best finale, 3's the best season (the only weak episodes are the horrible Helen Raynor Dalek episodes).

Plus, the scene that takes place immediately after Season Three is the best thing the series has done (old AND new series). Moffat again, obviously.

End of Time is sounding very much like a trippy Quantum Leap-style finale, which is cool with me. I suspect it's going to be a love-it-or-hate-it proposition, because I know people who can't stand how Quantum Leap ended.

Oh, and did anyone else catch Tennant's Sarah Jane Adventures guest spot? Fun stuff.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff