The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 PM
We just don't know.

Finished up Station 11. I liked it, and it was a good read, but I'm not sure if it was going for anything specific or if I just didn't pick up on it.

On to City of Saints and Madmen.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 PM
#deadfish2017

Where'd you find a copy?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:05 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Where'd you find a copy?
you!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 PM
#deadfish2017

But..... I gave you bad advice...

Ohhhhh right, now I remember *WINK*
Old 06-28-2017, 06:38 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Finished up Station 11. I liked it, and it was a good read, but I'm not sure if it was going for anything specific or if I just didn't pick up on it.
I remember there being a lot about humans' interconnectivity and the "world mind," the way everyone ends up naturally veering toward nodes like airports after so much of the human organism is eradicated and our ability to share information is compromised. I found the book very moving at the time, but nothing else about it really stuck with me in the long run.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
On to City of Saints and Madmen.
I loved that book and was at a total loss to explain it to anybody who asked me what I was reading.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 PM
noble beast

Marvel Comics: the Untold Story. Up to the early nineties now; spectacular shit show.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:34 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Re-started American Gods after I read about 100 pages of it five years ago and put it down for no reason at all. My imagination is better now so that's OK. It's really good.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

The biggest impediment to finishing American Gods is around the page-30 mark so it's smooth sailing from here on out.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 PM

A Terrible Book by Jay Michael, which so far reads like a Zanuck brothers movie
Old 06-30-2017, 10:38 PM
oh my car

Mathematics and Plausible Reasoning by G. Polya.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Marvel Comics: the Untold Story. Up to the early nineties now; spectacular shit show.
Yeah, that's a really solid book. I like that from reading the book (this is my take anyway), Stan Lee has done a lot of wrong by people he works with but he doesn't come off as "bad" so much as he does "negligent" and "ignorant" about what is happening to the creators around him. I feel like he wants everyone to get along and is oblivious to a lot of the actual issues with the company as he tries to make the transition to Mr. Hollywood.

That said, it's impossible for me to dislike Stan Lee. It's like disliking Falstaff: dude's very flawed, but sort of sweet.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Went to see Bob Dylan in concert last Friday, so I decided to read a biography on the man: Behind the Shades Revisited by Clinton Heylin
Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 PM
who's she

We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson. This has been on my to-read list for a long while, and I'm glad I got to it. Kind of a puzzling story about a family with a dark secret. I really like the narrator's voice, deeply imaginative and superstitious.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
That said, it's impossible for me to dislike Stan Lee. It's like disliking Falstaff: dude's very flawed, but sort of sweet.
Jim Shooter has an exhaustive interview with CBR where he sums up Stan Lee as a guy who has no head for business whatsoever, and knows it.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Reading Sabriel and liking it so far. It is interesting that it shares a certain world-building element with a certain other fantasy series that started a year later and is now ginormously popular. Hmmm...
Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 AM

Also reading Borne by Jeff VanderMeer
Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson. This has been on my to-read list for a long while, and I'm glad I got to it. Kind of a puzzling story about a family with a dark secret. I really like the narrator's voice, deeply imaginative and superstitious.
I loved that one; you're in for a treat.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:54 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
I loved that one; you're in for a treat.
Last night I got to a point where I couldn't stop reading and finished it about a hundred pages later.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Sabriel is getting really good. Knowing this book came out when I was in my teens and at the height of my fantasy series devouring days makes me sad I didn't hear about it then. 16 year old me would have loved this even more.

Mogget is best character.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 AM

Sleeping Giants by Sylvan Neuvel
Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finished Fall of the House of Cabal which felt kind of disjointed, even by this series standards. Still, nice that, for once, everyone got a happy ending. Except Johannes, who got his happy ending snatched away at the last moment, and also his house blew up.

I'll be supplementing it with some of the novellas later, but first, City of Miracles, which I didn't even know was announced, and I loved the last two books in that series.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 AM

I need to read the second book. Really enjoyed City of Stairs
Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Blue Comet

The Four Nations by Frank Welsh. This is a very accessible overview of the British Isles and the four nations on it: England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. Welsh glosses over a lot of stuff. One instance is where he says Danish invaders didnít intermarry very much in England, but later also notes there was a great deal of mingling in Scotland, and doesnít explain why. Still, more in-depth comparisons would be more appropriate for a detailed cultural or social history. If Welsh had tried to do that, the book would be like 2000 pages long instead of 400! XD So yeah, Iím satisfied with it 😀
Old 07-07-2017, 10:12 AM
You blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Sabriel is getting really good. Knowing this book came out when I was in my teens and at the height of my fantasy series devouring days makes me sad I didn't hear about it then. 16 year old me would have loved this even more.

Mogget is best character.
I first encountered this book in...oh, 1995 I guess. At a book fair, the kind that used to come to schools and was kind of a big deal? I liked books as a kid so I always liked them anyway.

Anyway, I had the choice between Sabriel and The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I chose the latter and certainly don't regret it; The Golden Compass is one of my favorite books ever, and waiting for its sequels was one of the defining themes of my early adolescence. But that was the last I had heard of Sabriel until our top Fantasy novel thread last summer reminded me of its existence.

So about 20 years later, I finally read Sabriel and it was incredible. Ten year old me really missed out.

This has been another pointless short story by Solitayre.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:18 AM

The Road to Jonestown by Jeff Guinn
Old 07-10-2017, 11:05 AM
actually an eevee

Did you know John Steinbeck wrote a modernized version of Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur?

I didn't either until I saw a beautiful book cover at the library on the Friends of the Library sale rack, and I still didn't really believe it.

But it's good. It's really good. The only flaw is that he didn't finish it. However, if you are just reading it, and have some background on Arthurian legend, the place where it ends, while abrupt, leads you to kind of nod knowingly. Lancelot finally succumbing to physical temptation with Guinevere. Read on its own, it is a satisfying conclusion, but knowing how much more Steinbeck wanted to do with the material and how much was left unused is tantalizing.

Steinbeck's goal was to render the Middle English in a way that sounds natural to a mid-20th century reader, and to do some rearranging of parts that were haphazard, bring out into more clear focus things that would have been obvious to a 15th century reader, but aren't so clear with a 20th century viewpoint, and to keep the timeless feel.

The overall effect was similar to the Grimm's fairy tales I grew up reading, and I had visions of myself reading it to a child in the future the way my dad read Grimm's to me.

The end has a long appendix of letters Steinbeck wrote while doing the intensive research to prepare for this. If you've read his novels or short stories, you know that the place in them is as much a character as any of the people in them. He took painstaking effort to understand the geography and ecosystem of the southern UK, and the result is a seamless geography that permeates the book.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:30 AM
#deadfish2017

Wow that sounds excellent and I never knew. Def will be checking it out.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 PM
oh my car

I read that when I were a lad, but it was so long ago that I don't remember anything about it. It's good.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Stanislaw Lem's Solaris was fantastic, successful as both science fiction about a truly alien life-form (?) and also as a narratological experiment in its devotion to exploring an imagined body of scholarship about that life-form.

Does anyone have any other Lem recommendations? I want to read more, eventually.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book