The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-08-2015, 07:15 PM
gatchapon 3*

the thing is, Tad was one of the first to do epic-length fantasy. Both Martin and Jordan cite him as an influence on their own epics.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Tolkien is kind of epic.

I mean, Williams makes him look terse by comparison, but it's a matter of degree, not type.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:26 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
the thing is, Tad was one of the first to do epic-length fantasy.
Mmmmmmmmm.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:31 PM
gatchapon 3*

fine. i'm ridiculously biased in this anyway, since he's an actual friend of mine and i love his books. i withdraw any and all opinions upstream.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

All those guys just ripping off Homer anyway...

And don't get my started on how unoriginal Homer is!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Oily Butt Thing

To Green Angel Tower totally needed some funeral games at the end.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
All those guys just ripping off Homer anyway...

And don't get my started on how unoriginal Homer is!
D'oh!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
fine. i'm ridiculously biased in this anyway, since he's an actual friend of mine and i love his books. i withdraw any and all opinions upstream.
It's not about quality or how nice he is or how much you like his books subjectively. It's that you're assigning them a property that just isn't true.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Unreliable Narrator

The Tad Williams novels are contemporary with Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Convenant, David Eddings' Belgariad and the later Zelazney Amber books, but the M,S&T trilogy does trend a little more towards the more historical feel that Guy Gavriel Kay would do in the 90's. It is one of the earlier low-magic kinda-historical-feel fantasy novels like Robin Hobb's Assassin books or Song of Ice & Fire (To Green Angel Tower was '94, Assassin's Apprentice was '95, Game of Thrones '96).

But no, not contemporary with old sword-and-sorcery or even the first wave of Tolkien clones.

I was planning on re-reading these sometime in the next year in anticipation of his new books. I had all three in original hardbacks (but they were too big so they were purged at some point).

Brust's Jhereg came out in '83 and is awesome but not especially related to this kind of bloated epic fantasy (other than maybe being the exact opposite: slim fast-paced sword & sorcery adventures).

Last edited by Grignr; 10-08-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:49 AM
Gesundheit!

I don't like putting down books, but The Etched City is just not grabbing me. It feels like hollow world building, and I'm increasingly getting fed up with fantasy that offers nothing at all but that.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 AM

So, this has been a horrible year so far for completing books. I managed to read about a fourth of Rebecca and gave up. Got too boring

So, instead I'm finally reading Finders Keepers by Stephen King
Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 AM
This Guy

I'm about halfway through Shadows of Self and I am really thinking that I need to reread the Mistborn books. I don't seem to be able to remember any details from that first trilogy.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 AM
>TRANCE

Ancillary Mercy. Nothing to say about it yet except that I'm excited!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:21 PM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoon View Post
Ancillary Mercy. Nothing to say about it yet except that I'm excited!
Mine's coming next week. It'll be the first series in a long time I've followed along with, and finished, anywhere close to its release times. I'm excited, too!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Mystery Contraption

I picked up Ancilliary Justice a few weeks ago and I'm really excited to start it, but, unfortunately, even my Really Excited backlog is a couple of books deep.

Fortunately, two of them are Stephen King and Jim Butcher, so I can pop through them lickity-split.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Are You Sure About That?

An Aeronaut's Windlass has more in common with the Aleran Codex as opposed to the Dresden Files. Rather than an open ended set of books, it's pretty obviously just the first in a finite larger story sequence.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
An Aeronaut's Windlass has more in common with the Aleran Codex as opposed to the Dresden Files. Rather than an open ended set of books, it's pretty obviously just the first in a finite larger story sequence.
Also Captain Grimm (yes, that's his name) is so very much Malcolm Reynolds. I'm liking it so far, I'm about 90% through, and I'll probably finish it up today.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:19 AM
It's all good, man

The hardcover collection of the extant Dunk and Egg stories is quite nice. I haven't read it yet, though!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

Default Welcome to Derry; Sorry about the Clowns

In the spirit of Spooksmas, I've started reading It, which I understand to be one of Kings most seriously messed up books.

As of the first few chapters, it's just about a sewer-clown that sometimes kills people and, man, if you willingly live in a town with any sort of a Sewer-Clown population, I'm sorry, but you can't hold anyone else responsible for any ill fortune that befalls you.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Outraged!

I'm taking a break from Infinite Jest to read The Martian.

Much more my speed.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:58 PM
This Guy

I finished Shadows of Self. I'm not sure how much I actually liked it. My opinion will likely depend on how the sequels deal with some of my problems. For one, the three main characters seem completely disconnected. While they are all working on the same case, they spend most of the book going their own ways. It also frequently introduces interesting ideas and then just kind of abandons them. I realize that this is the first (kinda) book of a trilogy and comes in at a roughly half the size of the books in the first set of Mistborn books, so hopefully all of these ideas will be explored further going forward, but so far they are just tantalizing tastes. Also, that ending.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:52 PM
gatchapon 3*

Hey, so here's a thing tad said today about dragonbone, relevant to our discussion.

Quote:
The first ten or eleven chapters are almost all set-up. I wanted people to know what the world was like that was about to change. Somewhere around Chapter 12 stuff starts to blow up and the roller-coaster sets off.

I may have underestimated some people's patience, because the main complaint I have received over the years about the first book was that some readers found the beginning slow.

I had a more Tolkienian build in mind. Some people like all that careful preparation. Some people don't.
Also, i picked up the new Sanderson. He invited me to be a beta reader for his books, which is rad.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:10 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I would say that probably only the third book is worth your time, but it doesn't make sense without the first and the second.

The first is short and entertaining enough that you'll blow through it. It's fluffy pulp candy that you'll enjoy if you just sit down and read it, ideally in like one or two sittings. They're for adolescents, they don't take that long.

The second is bad. It was mostly unnecessary, and it repeats the too much of the first while taking baby steps into world building that will be necessary into the conclusion. (If you read Harry Potter, it has a case of both Chamber of Secrets, in that it just repeats and barely even revises a the first book's formula, and a case of Goblet of Fire, in that it's a way too drawn out premise, all for the purpose of a twist at the end that sets up the endgame.)

People find the third unsatisfying because the author thinks through what would happen to a vengeance obsessed teenage girl forced to become a murder game reality tv star, and the answer is not uplifting. People also find it frustrating because it's all told from the protagonists' limited of view, and they confuse the mentally devastated teenager's limited understanding of events with bad storytelling. I was really impressed with how the third book had a relatively complex depiction of morality and politics.
more or less this
Old 10-12-2015, 07:08 AM
Banned

Still digging through The Hunger Games trilogy. It's so bad, it's good? I don't know! It's fun! That's it!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:04 AM

People are like that with James Patterson and John Grisham novels.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:03 PM
hidden in snow

I've been reading a couple of the new Star Wars books that bridge the movie gap. Aftermath is mediocre. I've read worse EU books, but there was nothing really engaging about the new characters, and the author name dropped a ton of species, expecting you to know what they look like. Some of them he made up for this book! Read a summary if you're just going lore diving.

Lost Stars is the one you want to read. It's billed as Young Adult, but is accessible in the same way that Harry Potter and Hunger Games are YA. A fun book concerning two kids from an Outer Rim world who join the Imperial Academy. Things happen, and they both end up being affected or involved with the major events of the Original Trilogy, both from the Imperial and Rebel point of view. It's also the most humanizing take on the Empire I've read.

I haven't finished it, but the first 2/3rds have been very entertaining. It sounds like it would read like a Half Life Blue Shift or Lion King 1 1/2 story, but the major movie characters are referenced sparingly. The new ones are interesting enough you aren't just waiting for Name Drop to occur.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Dinger!

Between the World and Me is amazing and powerful. Ta-Nehisi Coates is quickly becoming one of my favourite writers.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:14 AM

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons
Old 10-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Just finished Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits, the new David Wong (John Dies at the End) novel. It was entertaining and held my attention, and I liked much of the world-building. The humor was nowhere near the level I expected after his previous novels, though, and none of the satire really seemed to hit the mark.

Reading Between the World and Me next. I'm guessing it will also not be as funny as David Wong's previous novels.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:19 PM
We just don't know.

Finished Aurorarama. Despite how excited I'd been to read it, it was pretty mediocre overall. Still felt heavily chauvinistic throughout. Sigh.

Now that the trilogy is finished, on to Ancillary Justice.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book