The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Pokétard

Thanks for the PlayOn tip. We use OS X systems in our house, but can run Windows as a virtual machine within OS X (using Parallels Desktop). I just checked and the internets says it works fine.

I have two problems with this setup. (1) It's $40 and unsellable (whereas the Roku is essentially a free rental). (2) It requires that we run Windows continuously which is taking up <checking> nearly 2 Gb of memory (out of our 4 Gb).

So Roku remains the best option for us still. I've also had time to look at three random reviews of Roku. Nobody has anything bad to say about it other than "I wish it had more than 12,000 shows." They say the video quality is nearly DVD quality, which is better than I'd expect.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Venturing into ads!

Keep in mind that the video quality will depend on your internet connection speed...which isn't much of an issue if you have a hardline going to it. Wireless, it's watchable, but not DVD quality.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Maybe they just haven't finished adding the rest of the episodes?
Why wouldn't they go in order?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Venturing into ads!

I actually think I ran into the same exact problem with Dead Like Me. I was watching season 2 and then they just weren't available. I ended up buying the season set.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Pokétard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacketh View Post
Keep in mind that the video quality will depend on your internet connection speed...which isn't much of an issue if you have a hardline going to it. Wireless, it's watchable, but not DVD quality.
On my home cable network, Netflix's speed test gives me one bar. At work, the speed test says I have maximum quality. There is a visible difference, but barely. I'm not worried.

I can't find any deal-breaking information on Roku. At this rate, I'm ordering it tonight after work.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
Why wouldn't they go in order?
Why is anything anything?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maigo View Post
I'm doing this unless somebody can tell me it's buggy, has low frame rate, or some other major annoyance.
I have a friend that got one as soon as it came out and he loves it.

Regarding the omission of some shows from the Instant Queue TV series collections, I ran into that with Little Britain and the disc that was omitted had bonus content that I'm guessing was licensed differently (by the people putting the box set together, not Netflix) than the original stuff that was broadcast. I don't know whether that applies to all of these cases or not.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Rawrther.

I still get HD on my 360 netflix with wireless.

And yeah, I'd agree with Matchstick and say it has to do with licensing.

Yay legal troubles!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Pokétard

Our Roku box came today. So far it's everything the rave reviews spoke of. I fully expected the video quality to be less than what reviews claimed--"nearly DVD quality." I thought it'll be better than YouTube and about as good as old analog TV. I know a $1,000 computer can do it. I did not think a $99 computer could do this. It is "nearly DVD quality," even with our wireless connection. I am surprised.

In other news, it may all be for nothing if our Wii gets Netflix any day now.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Rawrther.

So Netflix spoiled me; its exceedingly fast service has made Gamefly's fairly slow service seem all the slower.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maigo View Post
Our Roku box came today. So far it's everything the rave reviews spoke of. I fully expected the video quality to be less than what reviews claimed--"nearly DVD quality." I thought it'll be better than YouTube and about as good as old analog TV. I know a $1,000 computer can do it. I did not think a $99 computer could do this. It is "nearly DVD quality," even with our wireless connection. I am surprised.

In other news, it may all be for nothing if our Wii gets Netflix any day now.
Don't do this to me. My PC is too old and slow to do the streaming very well, so the Roku is tempting, but with my luck they'd announce Wii support right after I bought the thing.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Faceshove champion

I just got the Wii Netflix disc. It works so much better then the PS3's Netflix--thanks in part to the remote and interface which are really snappy, but surprisingly enough, also in terms of video quality.

This may not be the case on other people's TVs, but I've noticed that for whatever reason, even though the PS3 Netflix outputs video in 480p, it never actually gets upscaled, so it always looks pixely. But on the Wii, it gets upscaled by my HDTV like everything else on the Wii, so the video looks much smoother in comparison.

In comparison to a Roku box, I would say Netflix on Wii is better--it's faster and the remote and user interface are much better.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 PM

I got the Wii Netflix disc, too. No more hooking the laptop up to the TV and crying that I'm not getting the ratio I want when it fucks up. It's pretty good, although I notice a tad bit of skipping and some blurriness. All in all, a blessing.

One disc. MILLIONS OF MOVIES. That's like one syringe, MILLIONS OF HIGHS.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I got the Wii Netflix disc, too.
... wherehowwhenlink?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Faceshove champion

Its on Netflix's website, just like the PS3 streaming disc.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamin View Post
This may not be the case on other people's TVs, but I've noticed that for whatever reason, even though the PS3 Netflix outputs video in 480p, it never actually gets upscaled, so it always looks pixely. But on the Wii, it gets upscaled by my HDTV like everything else on the Wii, so the video looks much smoother in comparison.
I have noticed some pixeling artifacts on the PS3 if I have the brightness cranked up, but turning it down solves the problem. I've noticed that many games require a higher baseline brightness than any film does. Also, some of the Netflix instant play stuff is in HD and some is not, and there's a big difference in quality there.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamin View Post
I just got the Wii Netflix disc. It works so much better then the PS3's Netflix--thanks in part to the remote and interface which are really snappy, but surprisingly enough, also in terms of video quality.

My brother called me up yesterday and said the same exact thing about the Wii version compared to the PS3, so I just went ahead and ordered my Wii disc.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Dinger!

You guys make me so jealous. We don't get Instant Play in Canada and it makes me cry every time I think about it.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Goodbye!

You and me both, Karzac. Let's cry about it into good beer.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
You and me both, Karzac. Let's cry about it into good beer.
Good idea. I was about to make a health care joke, but then I remembered that the US health care bill passed. So I guess we don't have that anymore. But hey, our dollar is stronger than theirs!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
But hey, our dollar is stronger than theirs!
Not at the moment, though it's close.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Not at the moment, though it's close.
Stronger in that it is on the rise, while yours is not.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Stronger in that it is on the rise, while yours is not.
Trending Value != Value

And even the trend is debatable.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Inscaper

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

SO I finally buy a bluray player and a LAN card all so I can finally bask in the glory of Netflix intsa streaming, and half of the Goddamn films are in fucking full screen!

Now yes I have an old ass TV, but still! Full Screen! I thought we where past this!

Does Anyone Know How To Make This Mutherfuckery Stop! Seriously my sanity is at stake here.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

SO I finally buy a bluray player and a LAN card all so I can finally bask in the glory of Netflix intsa streaming, and half of the Goddamn films are in fucking full screen!

Now yes I have an old ass TV, but still! Full Screen! I thought we where past this!

Does Anyone Know How To Make This Mutherfuckery Stop! Seriously my sanity is at stake here.
I think it's dependent on the actual flick, sorry dude.

Man, that takes me back to my very brief stint working at Wal-Mart a couple of years back. I made it my MISSION to explain why you are NOT getting 'less movie' in widescreen to both customers and co-workers. Seriously, you should have to watch those John McTiernen extras in the Die Hard DVD before you're allowed to purchase movies.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Inscaper

Yeah but its playing everything BUT the IFC movies in Full Screen.

Which just makes it more frustrating because I know that it can play in Widescreen. I

Nothing like dropping 150 bucks in gear in a day and then finding that it doesn't fucking work.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Inscaper

(Thunk, Thunk, Thunk) <--- Sound Of My head striking the desk.

OK now I just have to conclude that its fucking with me. 95 % of everything is playing in full screen. Even though when I go online to watch it on the computer its playing in widescreen.

The problem is that it completely randomly has a few that DO play in widescreen. But it doesn't make any sense, for example the Criterion Gomorrah plays widescreen. The Criterion Mishima plays fucking full screen.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Venturing into ads!

Is there a way to bring up some on screen controls through Netflix? I know on the 360, I was able to change the settings to normal or to stretch to fill the screen.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Rawrther.

What are you streaming on, Evil Dead? It may just be your player, because I think my PS3 and 360 typically play(ed) everything widescreen.

Maybe there's a setting hidden in a menu deep somewhere or something?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Inscaper

I'm playing it on a Samsung Blu Ray Player. I should point out that my TV is not a widescreen one, but that shouldn't matter should it?

I've tried switching my "screen Mode" on the menu, to 16:9 default, and there was no effect. As for switching it on The Netflix itself, there's nothing but my instant que available on the player, and I can't find anyway to change my defaults on my account.

What really chaps my balls is when I fast forward IT SHOWS THE CLIPS IN WIDESCREEN!!! I swear to God this thing is making fun of me.

Tags
and chill , best anti-piracy solution , binge , movies , netflix