The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
mightyblue and I had a chat about that in the anime thread, of all places, and there is no easy consensus. mb definitely raised some good points about the treatment of those obligations on their balance sheet.
Yeah, that entire scenario is odd. I don't think audit season is going to be a fun one this year for them, since a high-profile fuckup like this will draw CA's IRS-equivalent (dept. of revenue?) and the IRS in like flies. The only thing I can think of is yeah, they classified the liable fees as a debt, which is not how you're supposed to track them in general use. You'd track whatever aggregate value for budget forecasting and accounting purposes, but you only actually owe each individual fee installment as it comes up and not the total amount you'd have paid x years down the line. Or they somehow misclassified the IP rights as a debt instrument and not an asset, which would be such a basic yet gonzo fuckup that I doubt anyone with a halfway competent accounting department would make.

So yeah, funny stuff.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:40 PM
It's all good, man

I definitely don't see Netflix failing soon but they're moving towards exclusively hosting self-financed content pretty rapidly.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:54 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Is that regional or worldwide? Anyway, each content owner having its own streaming service is going to make the market implode.
Disney is one of the few studios that I think actually has enough (and valued) content to justify making their own, exclusive service. But yeah, the fragmentation of streaming services just puts us right back where we started.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I definitely don't see Netflix failing soon but they're moving towards exclusively hosting self-financed content pretty rapidly.
On the plus side, they saw the writing on the wall vis a vis IP and moved early. Their tentpole properties have done very well, and their hit/miss ratio would be the envy of any cable network.

I'd love to see a competitive analysis of the streaming market. Netflix has the first mover advantage, Hulu partnered best with the television market, Amazon was smart enough to tie their service to Prime. With that in mind, I could easily see Disney positioning itself as a family's "other" streaming service. Something that slots into the Disney-sized gap in one of the larger services.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I'm never going to specifically buy the 2008 film The Incredible Hulk unless I see it in a store. (which I will not; it's too old) But I might pay for this service for a month and then see it (and only it) because it was there... shrewd business move, Disney.
Johnny Nitpick here, to say that Hulk movie belongs to Universal, and that Universal's reluctance to relinquish the rights means that Mark Ruffalo will never get his own movie.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:31 PM
whatever it takes

Default I smelled a single drop of MCU talk in the water from five miles away

My understanding is that the Universal/Hulk situation is a little different from what's going on with Sony/Spidey and Fox/X-Men. Universal has no creative control over the Hulk and Marvel could start production on The Incredible Hulk 2 today if they really wanted to. The issue is that Universal gets a cut of the profits on any solo Hulk film but they don't get so much as a sniff when he appears as part of an ensemble. Marvel's strategy so far, then, has been to lock Universal out by keeping him confined to movies that don't have the word Hulk in the title, which Universal are probably none too pleased about. And maybe this is a failure of imagination on my part but that's just fine by me, as I don't see Hulk being able to sustain a two-hour movie by himself, Mark Ruffalo or no Mark Ruffalo. He just works better as a side dish.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Ghost Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post

Edit: I want the Disney streaming service to be called "The Disney Vault."
Will I finally be able to watch The Black Cauldron on it?
Old 08-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caithness View Post
Will I finally be able to watch The Black Cauldron on it?
It's slated for the release cycle after Song of the South.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM
oh my car

If Disney's Johnny-come-lately service has a bunch of cartoons and edutainment and futurism shit from the 40s and 50s, I'll do it. I want those deep cuts. I want to watch "Magic Highway" and maybe even "Our Friend the Atom"
Old 08-09-2017, 01:56 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
My understanding is that the Universal/Hulk situation is a little different from what's going on with Sony/Spidey and Fox/X-Men. Universal has no creative control over the Hulk and Marvel could start production on The Incredible Hulk 2 today if they really wanted to. The issue is that Universal gets a cut of the profits on any solo Hulk film but they don't get so much as a sniff when he appears as part of an ensemble. Marvel's strategy so far, then, has been to lock Universal out by keeping him confined to movies that don't have the word Hulk in the title, which Universal are probably none too pleased about. And maybe this is a failure of imagination on my part but that's just fine by me, as I don't see Hulk being able to sustain a two-hour movie by himself, Mark Ruffalo or no Mark Ruffalo. He just works better as a side dish.
I don't think it's just a cut of the profits, it's full distribution rights. Paramount distributed the other pre-Avengers movies which now belong to Disney, but Universal still has tIH, and any other Hulk movies in the future.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
If Disney's Johnny-come-lately service has a bunch of cartoons and edutainment and futurism shit from the 40s and 50s, I'll do it. I want those deep cuts. I want to watch "Magic Highway" and maybe even "Our Friend the Atom"
I need the old Ludwig von Drake lectures about how "Man is his own vurst enemy!" back in my life.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
I wonder how they'd handle some of those deep cuts. Setting aside Song of the South, they were pretty cavalier about what they released under the Treasures label on DVD, since it was for a boutique market. Their World War II stuff in particular, though, is definitely not on-brand - looking at you, Der Fuehrer's Face - even though the appeal of it is exactly that Disney made this.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Smudged

Quote:
With that in mind, I could easily see Disney positioning itself as a family's "other" streaming service. Something that slots into the Disney-sized gap in one of the larger services.
They'll have a pretty easy time getting Smart TV and TV dongle manufacturers to feature them front and center in any UI, with a trial subscription slipped in quietly to get the kids hooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Edit: I want the Disney streaming service to be called "The Disney Vault."
Oh geez, at first I was thinking "oh boy, a service with the entire animated canon and film shorts and cartoons and" but they're not going to do that, are they. They're going to trot a movie out for one month only and make a big event out of it, before it goes back into the vault. Except now, "back into the vault" means it winks out of existence.

I suppose I could just be cheap about it and record them before that happens
Old 08-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
The Three Caballeros is one of my favorite movies.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Y'all know none of that old stuff is going to make it into this streaming service.

Best prepare yourselves for whatever is currently playing on Disney Channel Afternoons
Old 08-09-2017, 05:14 PM
oh my car

Just have every single Goofy "How To" cartoon on an endless looping playlist at all times.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM
oh my car

Also: You all may rest assured that I'm keeping local copies of all Mickey Mouse shorts from youtube in case they take 'em down.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:52 PM

I really don't look forwards to relitigating the past three decades of the Console Warz in the streaming video medium.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I really don't look forwards to relitigating the past three decades of the Console Warz in the streaming video medium.
It'll be even better because your ISP will play a big part in what services you can even watch.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
It'll be even better because your ISP will play a big part in what services you can even watch.
meltingnaziface.gif
Old 08-10-2017, 06:14 AM
It's all good, man

I think having a constant revenue source from subscribers would make Disney more open to having their full animated film library available.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 AM
I. Love. It.

Hey did anyone else watch Glow? It was just renewed for a second season. Jenji Kohen is one of the executive producers, and it's another series with a strong and diverse female cast.

I liked it, anyway. It's very 80s, great soundtrack, great characters. It honestly felt kind of brief, even though the first season seemed to tie up just about everything neatly. Maybe they weren't sure they would get a second season and decided not to end on a significant cliffhanger, which I appreciate.

It also stars Allison Brie from Community, I haven't seen her in anything else (EDIT: Well apparently my memory is a big ol' liar!) so I pretty much only associated her with Annie up until now and I have to be honest, seeing her in a sex scene with the guy who played Harry Crane from Mad Men (who seems to have been typecast as playing just the biggest douchebag) was frankly unsettling. But that was just in the first episode and it was the only explicit sex scene in the series, hell I think it was the only bit of nudity.

Anyway it was fun, I'd like to see more. I'm not sure where the second season will go since the first one ended with them producing the first episode of the show, which seemed to be the point of the series? I dunno, it would be like if OITNB's first season ended with Piper getting out of prison and the show just kept following her life after that. But it will probably involve a lot of drama and shenanigans.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 08-12-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
It also stars Allison Brie from Community, I haven't seen her in anything else so I pretty much only associated her with Annie up until now and I have to be honest, seeing her in a sex scene with the guy who played Harry Crane from Mad Men (who seems to have been typecast as playing just the biggest douchebag) was frankly unsettling. But that was just in the first episode and it was the only explicit sex scene in the series, hell I think it was the only bit of nudity.
But if you recognize Harry Crane how have you not seen Brie in Mad Men as Pete's wife Trudy?

I really liked GLOW, especially once it got going and the ensemble fleshes out a little. Brie, Gilpin and Maron are excellent, but the rest cast is fun once they start to really have characters to play.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
But if you recognize Harry Crane how have you not seen Brie in Mad Men as Pete's wife Trudy?
Oh shit wow.

Because I watched all of Mad Men first before I saw any of Community and I guess she just stood out more as a member of the principal cast. I didn't pick up at all that Annie was in Mad Men.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Gesundheit!

I feel like the Mad Men team made Trudy both more visible and more funny after Alison Brie started starring in Community. But yeah she was always a side character at most (if a great one).
Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 AM
does the Underpants Dance

I don't understand why the Netflix business model for their original productions is to make an entire season before releasing it to the public and then end up canceling some amount of shows. I'm assuming they have to do some kind of traditional pitch model too, but it seems incredibly risky to produce 10+ episodes of a show that sucks. I saw Gypsy was not being renewed and I could've told you that based on the first 2 episodes being super boring. They didn't need to make 10 of them...
Old 08-12-2017, 11:30 AM
This Guy

For the number of shows they've made, they have had to cancel surprisingly few of them. Gypsy is one of the rare 1 season Netflix shows. The only other one I can think of is Girlboss, which was similarly miserable.

I like the Netflix model. They give shows a full season to try to do something, instead of the flailing desperation you see in a lot of 1 season network shows. I haven't seen Gypsy, but even the bad Netflix shows I've watched (see an episode of Friends from College and marvel at how so many people who have been good elsewhere are so awful here) have a solid concept and actually get to explore that concept, instead of grasping at anything that they think will get people to watch.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:00 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I don't understand why the Netflix business model for their original productions is to make an entire season before releasing it to the public and then end up canceling some amount of shows. I'm assuming they have to do some kind of traditional pitch model too, but it seems incredibly risky to produce 10+ episodes of a show that sucks. I saw Gypsy was not being renewed and I could've told you that based on the first 2 episodes being super boring. They didn't need to make 10 of them...
they've decided they want to cancel more stuff so they can produce more new shows and maybe strike gold again with some shitty low budget show like 13 Reasons Why

Tags
and chill , best anti-piracy solution , binge , movies , netflix