The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-29-2009, 02:30 PM
i musnt run away

Ok, Netflix is also DANGEROUS. I spent my entire afternoon adding things to the queue, rating things I have seen, and re-ordering the queue obsessively.

I've got, like, over 50 things lined up already, though one of them is an anime series that has the potential to be bumped off the list if the first disc sucks.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
I don't know what model supports HBO making cool shows, but it must be working.
It's called "Premium Cable" and its at least $15 extra a month.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyinkpen View Post
Ok, Netflix is also DANGEROUS. I spent my entire afternoon adding things to the queue, rating things I have seen, and re-ordering the queue obsessively.

I've got, like, over 50 things lined up already, though one of them is an anime series that has the potential to be bumped off the list if the first disc sucks.

Yeah, it can be a timesink if it hooks you. My worst is when they keep recommending me things after I add something to my Queue, and it just keeps progressing from one interesting thing to another.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:55 PM

I reorder my queue every time I finish a dvd and sometimes I reorder it again before the next dvd gets spit back out.

Finished season 3 of The Office earlier today. I started it, like... less than a week ago? Once I burn through season 4 I'll have to get my fix from the UK versions until the current stuff comes out I guess.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:25 PM
www.RetrowareTV.com

I'm pretty sure I did tell you. lol

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime...hlight=Netflix
Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyinkpen View Post

I have spent hours just going through and ranking things, then searching the suggestions for things I've seen and ranking those, repeat ad infinitum.

I have as of just now 2577 suggestions based on 628 ratings.

And I've had an active Netflix account (had to suspend it for a bit bc I didn't have XBL Gold and don't use the dvds) for like, a net three weeks.

edit: and my instant queue is 391.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
A No.1

A good friend of mine absolutely refuses to rate anything - even somethign he's seen - unless he's specifically ordered it through Netflix. I've tried to explain to him that the purpose of rating something is so it can better recommend titles to him, but he won't listen.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 PM
who's she

Netflix was the last nail in the coffin of network TV, and it drove right through and stuck in the coffin of Blockbuster video, too. Or something like that.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacketh View Post
I had to opt out of Blu Ray though, I think they're charging $2 extra per month for it now.
The surcharge is $1 per disc you have in your plan.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

Netflix is a great way for the non-rich to access the Criterion Collection.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
The surcharge is $1 per disc you have in your plan.
I'm not too sure about that, I have one-disc at a time and I was close to re-enabling it about three weeks ago... until I saw they wanted an additional $2/month.

Maybe I read it wrong though.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacketh View Post
I'm not too sure about that, I have one-disc at a time and I was close to re-enabling it about three weeks ago... until I saw they wanted an additional $2/month.

Maybe I read it wrong though.
Slight tweak: $1 + $1/disc
Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Which is a retarded system, since you'd think that Netflix usage and online streaming would be an infinitely more accurate / useful statistic to track.
Dollhouse's renewal suggests that those sort of things are beginning to make an impact, but it still has to all shake out.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:54 AM
i musnt run away

One of the dilemmas is that companies are still going to put the most priority on the viewers who watch a show live. Because those are the people who aren't going to be able to one way or another avoid their advertisers' commercials. I doubt a network profits very much off of Netflix and while I'm sure Hulu stats are worth tracking, they're still people who only watch 3 commercials instead of one to two dozen. "Watch" being a loose term when factoring in things like bathroom breaks, muting and ignoring the TV till the show comes back, and starting the show fifteen minutes late so they can use the dvr to speed through most of the commercials.

I'm sure there are clever and creative ways around this sitation that don't involve canceling the crap out of every show that doesn't have an unreasonably high share of live viewers every week but networks are big businesses and change tends to come slowly.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 PM
i musnt run away

Oh man so that first week I got caught up on the first two seasons of 30 Rock.

Then this past week I watched the first two seasons of Dexter. Hoooooly crap that show rules.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Venturing into ads!

Dexter is awesome. I'm kinda glad Doakes got a better end result than in the books.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
It's all good, man

What happens in the books? I think that completely destroying his legacy by making him out to be a serial killer was worse than just murdering him would have been.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Venturing into ads!

I think it was the second book--I read three of them in a row--but the serial killer is one of Doakes' old colleagues from his black op days and Doakes is one of the killers targets. Doakes gets captured and the killer likes to torture and cut people up to prolong their suffering and would actually clot bleeding as he went and amputated them so they wouldn't bleed out. Doakes ended up with all of his limbs amputated and his tongue cut out (which is what saves Dexter from being outed as a killer when he arrives to "save" Doakes/take care of the killer). So Doakes gets carted away "alive" but is in much worse shape than the near instantenous death from the explosion in the tv series.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 AM
i musnt run away

The Doakes situation was definitely a moral quandary. The kind of thing where in the end you walk away from it not really knowing what you should think about the events that transpired, like the ending of Watchmen. Heck, I suppose that can be said about the series as a whole, considering Dex's night job. From what I've heard I'm rather glad that the series diverges from the books after the first one, considering that the books apparently take things in a supernatural direction.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 AM
Venturing into ads!

I definitely like the show more than the books, but they're not too bad. I don't think I'd say they take a supernatural path, more like the show is more grounded because it gives you more of the supporting charaters whereas the book is all Dexter, all the time and that leads to a lot of him talking about his "dark passenger."
Old 06-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

You should all watch JCVD.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
i musnt run away

I don't know... how good can it be if they can't even afford vowels?

Alternate joke: Oh, they made a sequel to FLCL?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Bald Gendou

So this is the problem with NetFlix, my girlfriend set it up on her X360 so she could watch shows in her bedroom.

She wanted to catch up on Dead Like Me, so she queued all those. So she gets to the end of Season 1 and the finale is "DISC ONLY" so she can't stream it.

She moves on to Season 2, where something like HALF THE EPISODES are randomly "DISC ONLY"

What's the reasoning behind this? Why offer ANY of the series for stream if people have to also order the discs for random episodes? What profit are they possibly losing off this? it makes no sense
Old 06-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Venturing into ads!

That does make no sense. I've stopped trying to figure out their reasoning when it came to their streaming catalog.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
What's the reasoning behind this? Why offer ANY of the series for stream if people have to also order the discs for random episodes? What profit are they possibly losing off this? it makes no sense
I don't know why they do it, but whenever I add a series I double-check to make sure they haven't before starting in.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
It's all good, man

Maybe they just haven't finished adding the rest of the episodes?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Pokétard

Default Roku

Because of this thread, we restarted our Netflix account about a month ago. Then some 360 owner mentioned his jealousy-inducing ability to stream Netflix directly to his TV. As a Wii and PS3 owner, I know I'm missing something big.

So I noticed the inside flap of our Netflix envelopes has an ad for Roku, a $99 box that wirelessly streams Netflix to TVs (with HDMI too!). My current thinking is get Roku. If and when the Wii or PS3 get Netflix, I'd eBay the Roku for ...let's check the going price for used unit ...zomg, $90! It's virtually a free hardware rental then.

I'm doing this unless somebody can tell me it's buggy, has low frame rate, or some other major annoyance.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Yesterday was a bad day for me to choose to sign up for Netflix, since XBox Live was down. Here's hoping it pays off in the long run, though!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

If you have a PC I'd suggest checking out PlayOn.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
www.RetrowareTV.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Yesterday was a bad day for me to choose to sign up for Netflix, since XBox Live was down. Here's hoping it pays off in the long run, though!
This American Life Season 2 is now on instant play, so I'd say it's already a lot better.

Tags
and chill , best anti-piracy solution , binge , movies , netflix