The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
Ebert is a monster looking thing right now, I can't decide who I would be more scared of I saw them face to face, him or Harry Knowles.
Let's see how you look after surgery takes out a couple big chunks of your neck and jaw.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
You missed Star Trek V,
I wouldn't say I missed it Bob. And I agree about Star Trek Villains. That's why I listed them.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Unreliable Narrator

The prequel comic "Star Trek: Countdown" is pretty good and full of super nerdy TNG stuff. It fills in the backstory, which you only get in fragments during the movie, and it would have made a good movie in itself.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
Ebert is a monster looking thing right now
You're a fucking asshole. Find a fire, and insert yourself into it.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
You're a fucking asshole. Find a fire, and insert yourself into it.
I'm gonna go with this one. Pick at Ebert's writing all you want, but mocking him for surviving cancer is pathetic.

BACK TO THE MOVIE: Cat wanted to watch "the first episode that would come after the movie," so we put in the pilot of the old series, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." (Which of course is moot now, for any number of reasons.) Anyway, the planet where they attempted to strand Gary Mitchell was... Delta Vega. We both did a double-take.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I'm gonna go with this one. Pick at Ebert's writing all you want, but mocking him for surviving cancer is pathetic.

BACK TO THE MOVIE: Cat wanted to watch "the first episode that would come after the movie," so we put in the pilot of the old series, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." (Which of course is moot now, for any number of reasons.) Anyway, the planet where they attempted to strand Gary Mitchell was... Delta Vega. We both did a double-take.
Was Delta Vega the snow planet? Also the slugs they give Pike - same as the brain slugs in TNG?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Also the slugs they give Pike - same as the brain slugs in TNG?
I thought those creatures killed Pike, since they were supposed to drill into his brain or whatever. I was surprised to see him alive at the end.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:31 AM
120 Days

I liked that - I hope he is in the future films
Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Your life is forfeit

Yeah, Delta Vega was the snow planet. It was more of a rocky wasteland in TOS, but whatever. Weren't the slugs from Wrath of Khan, though? Nero called them Ceti slugs, they had the same forked mandibles as the adult slugs from TWoK, and Khan was stranded on Ceti Alpha V, so I assumed.

I liked that Pike was alive and coherent yet wheelchair-bound at the end -- a nice riff on his fate in the show, but one that leaves him in play as a character. We never got to see what Pike would have been like as a seasoned older officer, and the film's rendition made me really happy.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Terrible confusion

Quote:
I liked that Pike was alive and coherent yet wheelchair-bound at the end
Exactly how I felt. I also felt like when he lifted his hand to shake Kirk's at the end, there was a bit of drama placed on that act, which was a nod to fans who knew his alternative fate.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Not a Beer

As usual, having seen the film two days after it came out, pretty much everything I'd say has already been said. But I guess that won't stop me anyway. I liked it!

I particularly have to give props to Quito. I was worried because I'm still watching Heroes (for no defiensable reason), but the Sylar thing only bothered me for a couple minutes - after that he was just an awesome Spock.

Other little things:

I loved how at the end they totally subverted the "can't meet your past self" trope. That made me smile.

The first appearance of the enemy ship had me and the people I was with totally wondering what the Shadows were doing in the Trek universe.

I agree the villain was weak (and the ice monsters just plain silly). But whatever. It got the crew together. One of my friends said "that was good, but I really want to see the *next* one". Which sounds good to me.

Also, the "red matter" was totally a Shizuma drive.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 AM
These Stars Are Monsters

That was so, so much better than I expected. There were a few minor things that didn't wow me here and there, but I felt like it kept getting better and better as we went.

Pine as Kirk? Great.
Quinto as Spock? I'd had doubts, but he was perfect.
Urban as Bones? Shockingly, quite good!
Cho as Sulu? We needed more Sulu.
Pegg as Scotty? We needed more Scotty.

And then there was Chekov. I guess you can't win 'em all.

New ship design? Awesome. One of the lamest things about Star Trek space battles, at least in the shows, is how slowly they fire their phasers. That's been somewhat remedied in the newer movies, but this one gave them some much-needed ferocity. The Enterprise looked as sleek and badass as it deserved to.

Plot? I thought that was excellently written as well, though I'm not an original series purist so I don't know exactly what they changed. But justifying the "reboot" using time travel was especially clever, allowing them to both pay homage and go in a new direction. And old Spock! And his ship! So good.

There were a couple things that left me wondering if they were nods to old Trek:
Was Kirk's allergic reaction to what Bones gave him a reference to his allergy to whatever it is that fixes eyesight, as mentioned in Wrath of Khan? That's why Bones gives him the glasses.
Was Scotty "inventing" the ability to transport onto a ship that's in warp not his invention at all, but Spock pulling a Voyage Home "maybe he's the one who invented the stuff" gag a la the clear aluminum?

And finally, as soon as old Spock showed up, I was hoping against hope in the back of my mind that the movie would end with Nemoy reciting the old monologue in that gravely voice. And they did it. Perfect.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
It so totally was. I had the exact same thought.

This was not only a good movie, it was a good Trek movie, and I'm really impressed with it. It was exciting and dense and entirely Trek while still being fresh. I had no trouble accepting the new cast, and I was consistently amazed by how well Chris Pine embodied Kirk without aping Shatner. I didn't even know that was possible!

I like it a lot more than I ever hoped I would! I really want to see more films now.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
And then there was Chekov. I guess you can't win 'em all.
I loved the new Chekov - he captured the eager-to-please boyish energy of the original character without any of the Davy Jones/Teen Beat overtones that made him come off as artificial from time to time.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I loved the new Chekov - he captured the eager-to-please boyish energy of the original character without any of the silly Soviet propaganda nonsense that made him come off as dated and backward from time to time.
They coulda toned down the accent, though. I deal with enough Russian immigrants in San Francisco that I know what he should sound like, and that ain't it. That being said, "Wictor" was pretty funny.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 AM
What Time Is It?

I loved Chekov, too! Just totally adorable, especially when he was running down the hall to transport Kirk and Sulu or when he was struggling to make a 'V' noise.

I really liked the movie and am still all excited about Star Trek times a day later, so that's always good. Also, when they film showed Iowa a good 3/4 of the theater clapped or made "Woo" noises since we Iowans are a proud people.

The beginning was very exciting and I to fought off getting misty-eyed during the big fatherhood / stoicism moment. The whole "Tell me about him" part in particular. I loved the moment when Spock of another world talked about how important his friendship with Kirk was and also when he shared a little moment with his younger self, although I did feel kind of bad for the dude being stuck in a universe that was not his own. It also made me want to play more Civ 4.

I'm glad other people thought that the red matter was totally a Shizuma Drive. I noticed it but had nobody around with any GR knowledge to say it to.

When Sulu mentioned fencing I couldn't help not thinking about this fabulous image.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Terrible confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
When Sulu mentioned fencing I couldn't help not thinking about this fabulous image.
See, that's what I was talking about!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 PM
To the Max

I saw Star Trek yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. Pegg as Scotty exceeded my lofty expectations and ss others have said previously, we really needed more Scotty. I thought the rest of cast was great, with some minor exceptions. I'm not sure how I felt about Urban as Bones; for the most part, I thought he nailed the character perfectly, but some lines "Dammit man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" felt a little forced, especially compared to the more subtle references to the old series. It still made me chuckle though, so I couldn't have had a major problem with it. And put me in the "Chekov was likable/adorable" camp as well.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Hawkguy

I thought Chekov was adorable. I wanted to pinch his cheeks. Any of them.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:00 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Yeah, Delta Vega was the snow planet. It was more of a rocky wasteland in TOS, but whatever. Weren't the slugs from Wrath of Khan, though? Nero called them Ceti slugs, they had the same forked mandibles as the adult slugs from TWoK, and Khan was stranded on Ceti Alpha V, so I assumed.
I thought he said Centauri or something. May have been his weird Romulan accent.

I liked Nero. I liked how the Romulans,especially Nero were portrayed as super violent and Nero was really animated. This is opposed to the best Trek villains, Like Khan and Chang, who are pretty composed and just trade barbs with Kirk over viewscreen. I alos like how the Romulans didnt have any goofy head wrinkles.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Hawkguy

Star Trek was number one at the box office with $76.5 million.

That is good. Wery good.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Time for singing

I guess my problem is that I hadn't seen many other Trek movies, so I expected too much. Hearing people talk about the others, espeically those posts about the villains, definitely don't make the series sound that great.

The only original ones I ever saw were 3 and 4 and I wasn't overly impressed with either.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:13 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Has any Star Trek movie ever had a well-developed bad guy?
Three of the four good ones (II, VI, First Contact). Heck, for all the problems Nemesis had, at least the villain's character was good (even if his back story was ridiculous).

I realize that my problem is less that the movie didn't have a well-developed bad guy, but more that it was half-assed. Either give us a good villain, or don't try and make the villain a "force of nature" (i.e. a one line, simple motivation).

Quote:
Weren't the slugs from Wrath of Khan, though? Nero called them Ceti slugs, they had the same forked mandibles as the adult slugs from TWoK, and Khan was stranded on Ceti Alpha V, so I assumed.
I thought they would be too since they looked just like the Star Trek II eels, but I remember being taken aback when he didn't call them Ceti eels, but something slightly different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Also, when they film showed Iowa a good 3/4 of the theater clapped or made "Woo" noises since we Iowans are a proud people.
But does Iowa actually have a huge canyon?
Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
But does Iowa actually have a huge canyon?
The "canyon" was obviously man-made.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringworm View Post
The "canyon" was obviously man-made.
That's what a friend of mine said (that it looked mined). I guess I missed that.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
Star Trek was number one at the box office with $76.5 million.
NEW SERIES BITCHES!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:03 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
...Why did I not see it that way at first? You, sir, are amazing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I'm one of the uninitiated in Trek lore, I must admit. I've seen bits and pieces of The Next Generation and the original series, and saw Nemesis, but not much else besides that. The casting was excellent, and I loved the alternate universe explanation for this "reboot." As did I love destroying the Romulan fleet with a black hole. Good stuff. It may be too early to say, but so far I'm betting this will be one of, if not the, best movie of the summer.

Oh Abrams, what will you do next?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
See you April 15th, folks

Man, I don't understand why people are complaining that Red Matter was underexplained. Ask yourself: If the movie had stopped everything to give us an explanation of what Red Matter was, would it have made the movie better?

The answer is clearly "No."

The movie credits the audience with enough intelligence to figure out the only important thing we need to know about Red Matter from context (it's some kinda thingee what makes black holes when you put it in a bomb). Stopping the show for a nonsense technobabble explanation is the sort of thing Star Trek would do, but it's the sort of thing Star Trek would do that caused people who aren't big nerds to dislike it.

I do agree the villain was underdeveloped, though. I was thinking afterwards, "What are they going to write in history books about the destruction of Vulcan?" "Vulcan was destroyed because a crazy pissed-off Romulan from the future came back in time and destroyed Vulcan as a vague act of vengeance for the destruction of a planet that won't be destroyed for hundreds of years." It has a kind of Douglas Adams feel to it.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Cranky Geezer In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
That's what a friend of mine said (that it looked mined). I guess I missed that.
Pull up the second trailer off Apple's trailer page, look at the "Canyon"'s sides, then compare with the sides of pictures of natural canyons vs. quarries and open-pit mines.

Edit: That said, I don't know why you'd want a gigantic open pit mine and/or quarry in 23rd century Iowa.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer View Post
Pull up the second trailer off Apple's trailer page, look at the "Canyon"'s sides, then compare with the sides of pictures of natural canyons vs. quarries and open-pit mines.

Edit: That said, I don't know why you'd want a gigantic open pit mine and/or quarry in 23rd century Iowa.
Obviously they discover at some point in the future a vast subterranean seam of corn to be mined, popped, and consumed.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher