The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM
so exciting!

Default but shit at least i tried

i was either a month late or fourteen years early
Old 02-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Your life is forfeit

I had 3.33 on preorder for like three years and somehow my order was cancelled recently without my realizing it so my copy of the Blu-ray didn't ship now that it's finally in the U.S. and I didn't get whatever crazy preorder discounts they applied to it in all that time? Man, what the hell.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

You Can (Not) Pre-Order.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Your life is forfeit

You Can (Go) To Hell

just kidding
Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Space Prez

There's really no God Warrior short in the US release?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I had 3.33 on preorder for like three years and somehow my order was cancelled recently without my realizing it so my copy of the Blu-ray didn't ship now that it's finally in the U.S. and I didn't get whatever crazy preorder discounts they applied to it in all that time? Man, what the hell.
It was $20 for me. So that's whatever discount you're missing. It almost cancelled due to the fact Target/Home Depot/other fraud forced several CC changes in the intervening years. My coworker's ended up getting cancelled for jnknown reasons.

It's the curse of the Eva
Old 02-09-2016, 04:32 AM
Your life is forfeit

They want $34.99 now. That's $15 dollars difference. That's almost a whole Starbucks coffee! I don't have that kind of money just laying around.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Bald Gendou

Yuck, that is super (worth it) gross

Also don't take my adherence to theme as a guarantee. Might just be gross ym(m)v

Now an Edit for actual thoughts:

I've watched 3.33 1.66 times.

(once straight through with the volume low because my wife and son have to sleep at night, then what will be 3 sessions with headphones plugged into the PS4 controller because how'd I forget that geez?)

It's really different! I'm still sorting through my thoughts. I've read back over the past 3 years of this thread to uncover spoiler text. Someone posted an article about how this reflects Anno's view of his fans, and I think I agree. Especially after my second viewing of Kaworu saying things like "just keep trying over and over again until you get an outcome that makes you feel good".

It's also the most feminist anime I've seen in my life. It's hard not to notice the gender makeup of Wille's leadership vs. the idea that any time a man gets in, controls, or otherwise directs an Eva everything goes to hell. Which also goes hand in hand with my realization (rewatching 1.11 and 2.22) that Evangelion as a whole has some pretty fleshed out female characters. It's easy to miss with Misato's early game fanservice but... way to be progressive twenty years ago, Anno.

I have no idea where things will go from here. Guessing from everyone's cryptic "3.0 changes everything" etc etc I'd assumed it would initiate a new cycle, which is why 4.0 returns to the TV series title spelling.

But... I mean this was a direct sequel to 2.22 without a gotcha (I mean, a pretty big gotcha but not in a weird abstract Kojima/Anno way). And it has such an open ending into the next series of sequential events... why the spelling change? What does it mean?

WILL WE EVER FIND OUT?

Last edited by Tomm Guycot; 02-10-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Bald Gendou

Default Knowingly double posting because there's no natural segue AND bump thread

Has anyone else watched the bluray release? It starts off with a weird disclaimer that some translations have changed due to studio mandate. This is not THAT unusual in itself, but we end up with a ton of terms we haven't heard and no definition of them. So even with past Eva knowledge I'm having trouble lining everything up.

Lillin - I assume this is humanity ie. "The Lillim" from the series. But, in the final scenes Asuka says it. "Have to move somewhere the Lillin can can land" what? Is she not human? Does this mean something else? I can't imagine they'd typo "Wunder" or "Wille" as Lillin, so...

Adams - as in Rei's Eva is the "vessel of Adams". When Wille is tracking Shinji's location at 4th Impact, they say something like "Must be a straggler Adam" ...What? At first I thought they meant Angels, and were trying to retcon the conflict as Adam v Lilith, but then Kaworu straight up calls himself the first and 13th Angel. So I have no idea.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Both of those are unresolved questions, rather than translation/localization issues. This was a common feeling even for Japanese viewers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
we end up with a ton of terms we haven't heard and no definition of them
So, I think you understand them as well as anyone does, to be honest. Speculate away!

Quote:
Is she not human?
That is the most popular interpretation, yeah. Because that's generally agreed upon, the main point of discussion is whether that was always the case in the movie's version of events (for example, she's also some kind of artificial human and maybe so is Mari?), or whether it's a result of something that happened in the interim (for example, she no longer ages because too much beast mode made her inhuman --unlike Shinji, who was more in a kind of stasis and unlike Rei, who is just someone new and on version 9.0 right now).

Also, in case you haven't read it (??? this seems unlikely ???), the final volume of the manga adaptation of the TV weirdly ties into these new movies, with a chapter about Mari (or proto-Mari?) and Yui, basically expanding on that one photograph you can see in the background of a shot in 3.33 and insersting that history into comic's mostly TV-show based version of events.

. . . the other question I don't really care about, but surely someone somewhere has written a series of speculative essays about it. I don't watch Eva for the lore. It's just something working in the background that disrupts the characters' lives.

Clarification just in case: I'm not telling you or anyone else not to care about it, just saying that I don't and so have no strong opinions. I see dialogue like that and until I'm given reason to think otherwise I just accept that it means "this character/object is important to them for lore reasons that the show is not interested in explaining, and that's fine."

I think a lot of this confusion/dearth of explanation/new terms business is intentional: It puts you in the position of Shinji, who is now just as confused as the day he stepped foot into NERV for the first time.

Last edited by estragon; 02-11-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:17 AM
just ignore my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Anno posted a really long personal message to the official Eva site. This is not normal. It's usually used for press releases.

In it, he writes about a serious onset of depression again for the entire year of 2013, and he found himself to physically unable to go to his own studio. He describes Miyazaki Hayao offering him the voice acting role in The Wind Rises as if it was something Miyazaki did to keep him connected to animation, somehow, while Anno was drifting away. He also found some connection to animation in the remake of Yamato 2199 and watching some sentai series (<--he refers to both obliquely, but I don't watch sentai so I could only piece together Yamato 2199 from context...if someone knows the sentai series he has a friend working on, it's that one).

He started the series of shorts to help himself and his staff get out of their rut. In 2014, he began to return to anime somewhat.

Now, in 2015, production on Shin Eva is moving forward somewhat, but he has another project first: Since early 2013, Toho has been asking him to direct the new Godzilla. (This will make sense to anyone who saw the kaijuu short before Eva Q.) He eventually accepted, and is working on that first. Then he talks about Godzilla and I care less about that, sorry. Wait for someone else to do a fully translation instead of my summary, if it doesn't already exist. Basically he talks about the limitations of making a movie like this in Japan compared to a global scale (read: Hollywood) budget, and the need to make a movie like this in the current and that he's doing his best within those limitations.
Bumping an old post for a question.

Does anybody know if Anno's ever sought treatment for something like bip9olar or clinical depression? Given how often depression finds the poor bastard, it seems like its biological in nature.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Bald Gendou

Thanks estragon, that makes sense.

I like the angle of us being in Shinji's shoes and the whole world has changed in his absence. It's good to know I didn't miss anything after seeing it twice.

(My second viewing was spread over 3 nights, and after long days of work, housework, and taking care of a young child... my post-midnight viewings stretch way out as I have to rewind and rewatch areas I accidentally dozed through. Was just really worried I missed the key dialogue that explained everything. But no!)

After all this time, it's nice just seeing new Evangelion. Like... Shinji doing things that have no analogue in the TV series. Half the time I was just transfixed on the wonder of that--adult me getting to see new Evangelion after living (literally!) half my life without such a thing. I was so lost and so intrigued, it was pretty cool. Part of me does want all those answers but the other part is satisfied with this, knowing it was Anno's intention.

Just... you know, what answers WILL he offer in 4.0?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Just... you know, what answers WILL he offer in 4.0?
Shinji will manage the post-apocalyptic idol duo of Asuka and Rei as they sing the song that resuscitates humanity and pacifies the Evas.

Gendo will attempt the same with his Reiquarium. Fuyutsuki will be his lead singer with the Reis as backups.

The climax of the movie will involve a battle of the bands while Shinji's group rides the Eva Horse against Gendo's Eva Sheep.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Space Prez

When my kids are old enough, I will share EVA with them, with the hope that they may pass it down to the next generation, with whispers of phrophecies that there may someday be more... These brave, noble children of 4.44

Moon Orbit, unfortunately I don't know the private health care records of any famous animators. I am quick to give Anno shit for any number of reasons but if working on EVA affects him so poorly, then I hope his burgeoning tokusatsu career is fruitful.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:12 PM
so exciting!

eva 3.33 chat:

i can't believe asuka ends up being team mom to shinji and rei

the new characters in the wille staff all have a very modern design aesthetic going on, it's an interesting contrast to the original series's design. it's like, "hey, things are different now, for really reals"

how is it that the entire world went to shit while the only survivors are the folks who were literally at ground zero

Last edited by Pajaro Pete; 07-08-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:33 AM
McBear

Because DRAMA.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:26 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
eva 3.33 chat:

i can't believe asuka ends up being team mom to shinji and rei
in retrospect this isn't that surprising, she's the only adult in the neighborhood

i wish they had sprung for a new remix of beautiful world, because i guess that would have been a little too sarcastic at this point.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:21 PM

I haven't seen 3.33, but how is Asuka the onlyadult in the room? I remember being pissed at that ending to 2.22 primarily because it was unnecessarily mean spirited.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:20 PM

There's a 14 year gap between the events of 2.0 and 3.0 because reasons.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:04 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

And during that gap, Shinji is in stasis the whole time and Rei is now onto her 9th (???) clone body with no real memories of what came before. So only one of the pilots has a chance to do anything resembling grow up in semi-normal sense.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
And during that gap, Shinji is in stasis the whole time and Rei is now onto her 9th (???) clone body with no real memories of what came before. So only one of the pilots has a chance to do anything resembling grow up in semi-normal sense.
Yup. Except that Asuka still looks 14 because piloting an Eva halts your aging because reasons, and also she shows no discernable change or growth in personality afterwards as well, soooo...
Old 07-10-2016, 05:53 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Those reasons are "if Aska is 30 creepy losers will riot".
Old 07-11-2016, 06:13 AM
It's all good, man

Why did it take over three years for it to be released in the US and why is it still not on Netflix DVD yet
Old 07-11-2016, 06:22 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Force View Post
I remember being pissed at that ending to 2.22 primarily because it was unnecessarily mean spirited.
Don't watch 3.33 then because its an exponential meanness curve in these things.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:12 AM
so exciting!

i remember watching 2.22 and thinking, "oh, so this is sort of a softer eva world where kaworu and mari are there to make sure things work out for the best"

boy was i wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Yup. Except that Asuka still looks 14 because piloting an Eva halts your aging because reasons, and also she shows no discernable change or growth in personality afterwards as well, soooo...
her literally dragging shinji out of the entry plug seems like character growth to me. like, i don't think asuka 14 would have gone out of her way to track him down and carry him to safety, you know?

Last edited by Pajaro Pete; 07-11-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:16 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Those reasons are "if Aska is 30 creepy losers will riot".
Also, "If Asuka is 30 we can get away with naked figurines of her 14 year-old-looking self."
Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 AM
whatever it takes

Evangelion ended in 1997. They literally put out a movie called The End of Evangelion. It's over! What are we even doing here? Mods please close this thread immediately.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 AM
McBear

Zeromusdeathquote.png
Old 11-24-2016, 01:48 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Anno isn't sure whether or not the next movie will be out before the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

Specifically, he brings up distribution issues as a reason it might come out later (because his company doesn't handle distribution). But, scheduling considerations of distributors aside, it would probably come out well before 2020 if he planned on it being done anytime soon.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:37 AM

TBH, that sounds like he's making an excuse ahead of time for the possibility of him having another mental breakdown and needing to postpone production some more. Because there's zero chance a distributor is the bottleneck on the production chain, when distributors are probably comping at the bit to get another cash-cow like Eva out, and will move heaven and earth to make room for it in scheduling rather than the other way around.

Tags
evangelion , folding chairs , gainax , get in the fucking robot , hedgehog's dilemma , mind-raping , mindblowing , q horse , where are the blu-rays?