The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-27-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
We've been waiting for closure for twenty years they can't take much longer!
We've had closure. Multiple times actually. People just want a happy and simple ending that isn't full of esoteric ramblings. And while I understand that compulsion, it's kinda missing the point of the show to begin with.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Find Your Reason

Having learned on the Awesome Fanart thread that Anno compared Eva to Ideon+Devilman, I wonder if there ARE Go Nagai fans still waiting for resolution to that particular universe.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Uh? There's been a number of Devilman "sequels" and other related things.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Find Your Reason

I know about the several dozen intra-Nagai crossovers, and the various sidestories, retellings, and expansions, and I know about Violence Jack (though I desperately wish I didn't oh God, but AFAIK, the "central" plot of Devilman/Lady ended right before the ultimate battle. The aforementioned extras happen between those two.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Inscaper

Sarcasm!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
We've had closure.
You know we're talking about Evangelion, right?
Old 10-30-2014, 08:13 AM
World of Darkness Returns

3.33 US home release is still floating in limbo, now vol 14 of the manga got pushed back from next month to February.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Space Prez

Anno's relevance is over the second that EVA is finished. Don't see that happening ever.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:52 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Anno's relevance is over the second that EVA is finished. Don't see that happening ever.
I think this is too cynical. We all know Anno has kind of a history of burn out at the end of projects. I don't this (delay of the 4th movie) is calculated, as much as it's his usual project cycle. So, for example, there was going to be a post-apocalyptic 2nd movie after EoE, but he was burnt out on Eva. He was going to hand it to over Tsurumaki, but Tsurumaki didn't want to be in charge. In the end, it just didn't happen because Anno wasn't up to another. I think this is likely more a repeat of that, not him clinging to relevance. I'll be happy if we get another movie, but if he gives up again, I'm honestly satisfied with 3.33/Q as an ending...

And the delays of the US releases of the manga and the 3.33 home version mostly likely have nothing to do with him at all.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I think this is too cynical.
Perhaps! But I also think he's painted himself in the corner regarding a satisfying conclusion. It's been built up too much and for too long. Maybe he just needs another decade or two to reflect on it
Old 10-30-2014, 06:00 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
But I also think he's painted himself in the corner regarding a satisfying conclusion.
Personally, I think Q and EoE were both satisfying conclusions in their own way.

But I do agree that maybe he just doesn't have the post-EoE and post-Q movie he's been putting off for for two decades in him...

Either way, I don't think it's an issue of relevance.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Space Prez

See, I also think Evangelion had a satisfying conclusion. You don't have to believe that it's Gurren Laggan. Just believe in the me that believes that it's Gurren Laggan.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Inscaper

See I'm one of those nuts who actually really likes the TV show ending. I thought EoE was way too sour and kind of betrayed the spirit of the show, though it's fascinating in its Monkey's Paw approach to Fan Service.

I liked Eva Q enough on it's own, but I'm not going to lie if the whole point of the rebuild basically just got us to where we were at the end of EOE again I will find it immensely dissatisfying.

What can I say, I really want my post 3rd Impact Eva movie if only because its been approached so many damn times. At this point I don't really care how it ends, though I have to admit, an ending on the more aligned with the optimism of the TV show is what I'd prefer. Though confirming the eternal reoccurrence theory would be cool too. Like to actually see the reset.

Yeah I know that's all but confirmed, but I'm petty and literal minded.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Though confirming the eternal reoccurrence theory would be cool too. Like to actually see the reset.
Kinda what happens with the manga?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Inscaper

I haven't read it so I'm not sure. But basically I mean the fan theory that each incarnation of Eva is the characters literally re-experiencing the events. Doomed to do it forever until it turns out "right".
Old 10-31-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I know about the several dozen intra-Nagai crossovers, and the various sidestories, retellings, and expansions, and I know about Violence Jack (though I desperately wish I didn't oh God, but AFAIK, the "central" plot of Devilman/Lady ended right before the ultimate battle. The aforementioned extras happen between those two.
My understanding is that Devilman Woman (I refuse to use that alternate, less hilarious title and you can't make me!) actually has JACK SQUAT to deal with Devilman, aside from Jun being a woman with all the powers of a Devilman. Also, it ended pretty conclusively. I mean, huge downer, but it's an ending.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:12 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I haven't read it yet, but the final volume of the Sadamoto manga adds a new chapter that wasn't serialized. Like most rumors predicted, the final chapter ties the manga to an element from the remake movies:

The new chapter is set in 1998, from Mari's perspective as she interacts with Yui and Gendou. Yui gave Mari her signature glasses and hairstyle. Mari was another student of Fuyutsuki, and she leaves to study abroad in England.

The broad strokes of this could be inferred from Q, so nothing super new, but I was surprised to see they went for this in a manga that started as an adaptation of the TV show.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:13 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

The original TV series and movies are coming out on Blu-Ray in Japan in summer, 2015.

There is also a DVD-box that is just the TV show exactly as it aired. So, presumably the HD versions include the extra scenes, but the DVD box does not.

Last edited by estragon; 12-01-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Wonder what the price is going to end up being when it makes it here? I've got the super huge ($200 in the day) box of DVDs but if I could get a nice new transfer for $50 or something it might be worth upgrading to blu-ray.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Presumably in Japan the price will be ALL YOUR MONIES and in the US the price will be a lot lower, but released in 2023.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:15 PM

Places across the internet like /a/ is currently losing their minds because today is Asuka's birthday or something.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by /a/
Asuka is the shittest waifu and she sucks Kaji dick
Old 12-04-2014, 07:24 PM

Sounds about right for /a/. Except there needs to be a little bit more autistic rage included too.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Banned

Are we using the 4chan definition of autism or clinical definition of autism?

Because I'm pretty sure autism is far from the only psychiatric problem that board's regulars suffer. blah blah Oedipus Complex blah blah Hedgehog's Dilemma
Old 12-05-2014, 04:53 PM

4chan's self-diagnosis. Also yes, I agree with you on your assessment. If I ever felt like going back to school, I'd have an easy grad thesis by just writing about 4chan.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Presumably in Japan the price will be ALL YOUR MONIES and in the US the price will be a lot lower, but released in 2023.
Marking my ten-year calendar now.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:33 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Bought the final volume (14) of the manga tonight. Skipped to the non-serialized chapter about Mari, Yui, and Gendo in college (<--spoilers for both the manga and the rebuild movies), because I want to end with the ending and not a side story.

It was much better than I expected. I anticipated wrongly that Mari would have an unrequited attraction to and/or affair with Gendo. I did not anticipate that she would have a crush on Yui, and that it would be depicted tastefully. It's totally on the surface, too, not subtextual fanservice. Mari flat out tells Yui that she's interested in her romantically, and Yui is cool with it (even if she doesn't reciprocate). Mari is jealous of Gendo for taking Yui away from her (even though a relationship would be impossible--a feeling that resonates with me as a former frustrated gay teenager), and she goes to England to escape that situation.

It's the best depiction of GLBT issues in Eva (admittedly, a very low bar), but also a genuinely good depiction that resonated with me. It wasn't played for titillation, and it wasn't played as a joke. Thank you, Sadamoto, for brining a well done side story like this so close to the central sphere of Eva canonicity. I expected this to be garbage, and it was honestly kind of touching. I did not expect to find a well done story about an unreciprocated same-sex crush in the movie-tie-in side story bonus chapter of the manga adaptation of a TV show that ended nearly 2 decades ago.

Now to read the main story and see how Sadamoto deals with EoE...
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Anno has been in charge of a project putting out weekly animated shorts. The 7th short appears to be a series of Evangelion images and one short bit of animation, some taking place during the gap between 2.0 and Q, some immediately after Q, some abstract and hard to place.

It's maybe a teaser for the next movie? Or maybe it's just a tone piece.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 AM
Bald Gendou

Catching up on the manga (since I'll never get to see Q on blu-ray ever)

I feel like I'm the only person left who adores Eva without a hint of irony. I eat it all up. I can see no wrong in this universe.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:37 AM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
I feel like I'm the only person left who adores Eva without a hint of irony.
Ahem!

Tags
evangelion , folding chairs , gainax , get in the fucking robot , hedgehog's dilemma , mind-raping , mindblowing , q horse , where are the blu-rays?