The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
It sounds like volume 14 (the final volume) the Sadamoto Eva manga is finally coming out in November of this year, with some additional content not in the serialization.
Is that the one that plays it pretty straight to the show, but with some slight tweaks like Asuka meeting Shinji in an arcade?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM
so exciting!

Kind of? It follows the show, yeah, but it cuts out a lot of the extraneous angels and fleshes out the characters way more.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Kind of? It follows the show, yeah, but it cuts out a lot of the extraneous angels and fleshes out the characters way more.
And has Kaworu strangle a kitten!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Shin Eva "news": The old story was that all of their animators were working on Ghibli's Kaguya Hime, then they would start on this. But apparently that didn't happen for vague reasons, so now they are all working on Ghibli's "When Marnie Was There," which comes out this summer. So, at the earliest animation on Shin Eva could start after they're done with Marnie for Ghibli.

Also, apparently the same group of freelancers works on all of Japan's big budget animation.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Also, apparently the same group of freelancers works on all of Japan's big budget animation.

"Animation is INTERESTING!"
Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

It would be beautiful if it somehow managed to come out in 2015 though, because:

Old 05-21-2014, 03:56 PM
who's she

I hope they keep it set in 2015, whenever it comes out. I like retro-alternate history.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:06 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I hope they keep it set in 2015, whenever it comes out. I like retro-alternate history.
Unfortunately the rebuild movies are probably set in [3.33 spoilers] 2017-2018 and 2032. Those are based mostly on calculations like "what years have November 13th" on a Monday though, so if you want to be less OCD about it or want to imagine post Second Impact calendar reformations you can still imagine it started in 2015.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Unfortunately the rebuild movies are probably set in [3.33 spoilers] 2017-2018 and 2032.
*pfffft* I had forgotten that bit about 3.33. So that means Asuka's 30-something and is stuck looking 14?

Oh, JapanAnno....
Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Anno participated in a festival where he contributed this:

The Japanese means something like "there is no point of origin" or "nonexistent origin point."

He's teased stuff at this festival before, apparently, and 1.0 through 3.0 are airing on network TV pretty soon, with 3.0 getting its TV premier. In the past, they've used these TV premiers for teaser/trailer reveals. So, some new information maybe be coming soon about the next movie, or about whatever "3.0+1.0etc" is, if that's not the next movie.

Or, possibly, some not-information, because one of the those reveals was the (in)famous piano CG teaser for Eva Q.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Is it weird that I've never managed to finish Evangelion the anime but I'm loving Evangelion the manga?
Old 08-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Remembers Love

The manga trims and expands in the right places. The only big thing it had against it was that it took freaking forever to come out. Also, I guess I don't know how the ending stacks up. That volume doesn't come out stateside til, what? November? I doubt it's going to be as wild an experience as watching End of Evangelion though.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:13 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Is it weird that I've never managed to finish Evangelion the anime but I'm loving Evangelion the manga?
As some one who wouldn't want to go back and watch the original anime, I don't blame you.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:14 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

The manga is awesome. I still haven't gotten the last two (maybe even three?) volumes...quickly, to Amazon!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
That volume doesn't come out stateside til, what? November?
The last volume is not even out in Japan yet. It has a simultaneous global release on November, 20th.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I've read scans of the last chapter....and it's weird, at least in comparison to the way the TV/movies ended. Won't say anything else than that, but yeah, if you're going in expecting the EoE/TV/D&R endings it's a pretty different animal.

ETA: I will say it does play heavily into the fan-theory that each Eva property is one iteration in a chain of resets/parallel worlds.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:40 PM
so exciting!

I'd say the ending is Less Good than the ones in the the tv series/EoE, but overall the comic is a way better since it develops a lot of the minor characters more effectively.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Also just a heads up to people who already read the scans of the serialization: He's drawing an extra chapter of some sort for Vol. 14 when it comes out.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not crazy.

I just finished the fourth omnibus last night. The wait for the conclusion is going to be difficult now.

(Also I guess I'll have to buy volumes 13 and 14 separately? Anyone know if they plan to do an omnibus of those two?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
ETA: I will say it does play heavily into the fan-theory that each Eva property is one iteration in a chain of resets/parallel worlds.
In the end notes of one of the volumes (somewhere in the third omnibus?) it says this is pretty much exactly the case, as I recall.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
In the end notes of one of the volumes (somewhere in the third omnibus?) it says this is pretty much exactly the case, as I recall.
Who is that quote attributed to?

(I'm curious because the omnibus versions don't exist in Japan, so I wonder if that's a translation of something external or just something added to the English omnibus. If it's just the editors of the English omnibus edition, it's basically fan speculation.)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Family Man

Robin Williams was a big fan of this Evangelion thing enough to sneak it into his movies, despite not getting the pronunciation quite right. Maybe that is how you are supposed to say, and Funimation has been wrong all these years?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Highway To HFIL

Nah, it's supposed to be a hard g. It's from εὐαγγέλιον.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Quote:
Who is that quote attributed to?

(I'm curious because the omnibus versions don't exist in Japan, so I wonder if that's a translation of something external or just something added to the English omnibus. If it's just the editors of the English omnibus edition, it's basically fan speculation.)
I found it last night but totally blanked on transcribing it this morning. And I'll probably do the same tomorrow!

Right now I can say that it was Carl Horn and that I was misremembering it a bit. In his essay on The Mysterious Stranger and Evangelion, he says the anime and manga are "separate but equal 'official'" continuities and that that lends credence to certain fan theories.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Gustav Horn
When one notes this kind of thing, it's important to restate that the Evangelion manga has always been a separate but equal "official" version of Eva, with no particular obligation to align itself with the anime...

Nevertheless, as the "other" official version of the Eva story, it is reasonable for fans to view it as an "alternative history" relative to the anime.
I'd have sworn I saw - twice! - a line in there directly mentioning "fan theories" but now I can't find it. I think I must be going insane.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Hmmm.

Anno says that although they are working on it, he's going to do something else, then get back to Evangelion. He was being vague, so this could mean anything from a short break like "until the project of shorts by Japanese animators he's promoting in this interview are over" to a long break like "until some other unannounced project(s) we don't know about is over."

Maybe it would be best to assume the next one won't even be announced for a while, and be pleasantly surprised if that ends up being wrong...
Old 10-27-2014, 06:02 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I just want some semblance of closure and he's dragging this out painfully long.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
He was being vague, so this could mean anything
He's setting up a REAL Third Impact to coincide with its 2016 date from the show, so that the entire world is turned to Tang on the movie's opening night.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I just want some semblance of closure
We've been waiting for closure for twenty years they can't take much longer!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
We've been waiting for closure for twenty years they can't take much longer!
Hey, End of Evangelion was pretty final.

Until it wasn't.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:42 PM
so exciting!

Eva Rebuild: Slightly more on schedule than the Eva Manga.

Tags
evangelion , folding chairs , gainax , get in the fucking robot , hedgehog's dilemma , mind-raping , mindblowing , q horse , where are the blu-rays?