The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 07-28-2017, 09:11 AM
Smudged

Please tell me there are Victorian kink re-enactment groups.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
omg is this the origins of dusty culture

and also is dusty culture actually a thing, I thought I was joking

MY PEOPLE
holy shit, Vaeran

we're Puritans
Old 07-28-2017, 09:36 AM
beech i told u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
holy shit, Vaeran

we're Puritans
victorians, silly catboi

ugh can you even read
Old 07-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
victorians, silly catboi

ugh can you even read
lot of dust on my screen/eyelids
Old 07-28-2017, 09:40 AM
beech i told u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
lot of dust on my screen/eyelids
it's a good thing you're pretty good at getting me crafting mats
Old 07-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Mystery Contraption

Okay, first off, like, none of those games sound very fun.

And I am also quite sure that the last one isn't a game at all, they just didn't have singles bars back then.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 AM
EMOJO JOJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Please tell me there are Victorian kink re-enactment groups.
whatever happened to that couple who started out doing this and now the husband is some weird dude who thinks they're living in a period piece
Old 07-28-2017, 03:09 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I think they take turns until a new game is chosen. These things read like they're designed to fill time.
In the little house books, they touch batteries
Old 07-28-2017, 04:24 PM

Those Victorian party games still sound like more fun than Masonic pranks, including the Baby Bouncer (for use with electric carpet), the Tunnel of Trouble (with optional electric sandals), and the Plate Breaking Stunt for some good ol' William Tell style hazing.

Last edited by MrChris; 07-28-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Fixed a link
Old 07-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Mystery Contraption

Man, somebody should introduce Victorian England and Masonic lodges to Gameboys.

Pokemon is way more fun than any of these!
Old 07-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Chief Servbot

Default Variations on a theme

Quote:
“Forgive me Father for I have sinned” and “Sorry Daddy I’ve been bad” both mean very similar things but have wildly different connotations
Old 07-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Senior Squirt

I've learned enough that no, the connotations aren't always totally different.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:40 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
The Puritans are said to have had very rich sex lives.
Stays cold a good while in New England, and the nights are very long.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:11 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Stays cold a good while in New England, and the nights are very long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Quincy Adams
The art of making love, muffled up in furs, in the open air, with the thermometer at Zero, is a Yankee invention.
http://www.cracked.com/article_15895...l-time_p3.html
Old 07-31-2017, 06:21 PM
EMOJO JOJO

Quote:
I apologize for Alicia's... bounciness. However!:
① Breasts DO bounce in real life. It's simple, basic physics and Newton's Law of Motion.
② Even within the actual game, with her choice of clothing and posture, Alicia seems to be quite "showy" and confident with her ridiculously 'perfectly-spherical' bust, so it's kind of a play and exaggeration of that. (not even all that much exaggerated though).
Old 08-01-2017, 05:08 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Making sense of the August 1st Bitcoin forks

BITCOIN IS SPLITTING IN TWO TODAY! As a sensible person who knows better than to care about cryptos, beyond maybe how to make money from them, you’re just sitting back with your popcorn. But people have been asking me to explain it, so …

Like everything in a Bitcoin crisis, the details are both obscure and inane.

THE ACTUAL PROBLEM: Bitcoin is full. The transactions have been clogged since mid-2015. Nobody has been able to agree how to fix this.

THE PLAYERS:

Segwit2x - this is backed by a supermajority of the mining power. It puts into place SegWit (Segregated Witness), which is a way of (mostly) solving the Transaction Malleability bug. The “2x” means it’s set to go to 2 megabyte blocks in a few months.

UAHF (User Assisted Hard Fork) - something called BitcoinABC - https://www.bitcoinabc.org/ - I believe this is now the same as Bitcoin Cash (BCC) - a plan to just straight-up go to 8MB blocks, no SegWit. This is explicitly creating a forked blockchain. So everyone who had BTC before will have BCC now! So the attraction is FREE MONEY.

Bitcoin Cash doesn’t have huge miner support, so there are questions as to difficulty level of mining on that chain if all the miners leave, potential to attack the chain if you have a lot of mining capacity to hand, *long* block times until the difficulty adjusts, etc.

This has endless potential for disaster, e.g. replay attacks (where you replay transactions on one chain against the other chain, so you can take coins on the other chain without them having been intentionally sent to you). The same sort of thing happened when Ethereum split into Ethereum and Ethereum Classic, because neither side would change things to make replay attacks not possible. (They eventually did.) You will know replay attacks are happening when people start yelling about them, going “HOW COULD WE HAVE FORESTALLED THIS” (by not being completely pigheaded, probably)

UASF
(User Assisted Soft Fork) - where people who want to keep small blocks (1 megabyte) put in SegWit. This is not the miners, but the user nodes. The politics here is that they think they can swing this without the mining power. Not sure if this is still much of a happener - Segwit2x gives them at least the SegWit bit.

Bitcoin Unlimited - a plan to just go to 2MB blocks. Mostly Roger Ver. I think they’re all for Bitcoin Cash now.

HOW DO I KNOW WHAT’S HAPPENING?

btcforkmonitor.info was keeping track of fork status. (Here’s a snapshot from earlier today.) It’s getting ABSOLUTELY HAMMERED right now. But that
was keeping track of the forks and monitoring them for divergence.

CoinDesk is live-blogging the fire: https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-for...fork-august-1/

Now of course, none of the disputes are technical - they’re all political. Everyone involved hates everyone else and characterises their opponents as “evil” and opposed to “Satoshi’s vision”. They figure if they shout abuse at each other they’ll get rich faster or something I dunno.

The Transaction Malleability bug … well, there’s a thing in Bitcoin called the transaction ID. You might think this could be used to, oh, uniquely identify a transaction! But welcome to Bitcoin - the transaction ID can be changed in mid-flight by a hostile intermediate node as long as it hasn’t made it into the blockchain yet. (A lot of bitcoins were stolen from Mt. Gox this way in 2013.) So SegWit mostly fixes this.

SegWit is controversial because the planned Lightning Network requires transaction IDs that can be used as transaction IDs. So this means people who don’t like the LN are treating SegWit as a fount of evil. LN is being advanced by Blockstream, who also employ a lot of Bitcoin core developers, so are widely blamed for the blocks staying at 1MB. Also, LN is still vaporware. So if you see bitter opposition to SegWit, it’s because they don’t like Blockstream. People who don’t like Blockstream treat Segwit as EVIL even though anyone else would call it an obvious protocol fix to have transaction IDs that could be used to identify a transaction.

I would characterise all this mess in terms of the Judgement of Solomon - where Solomon says “ok, we’ll slice the baby in two” and the women think that’s a great idea and then start bitterly fighting over whether to slice the kid horizontally or vertically. It’s at the stage where cutting the baby in two sounds like a plausible idea to them.

I don’t have much idea how this is all going to shake out. I think probably the main Bitcoin is going to go to Segwit2x. BCC has tempted people with FREE MONEY and there’s a pile of exchanges saying they’ll go along with this idea, and give people free BCC to match their BTC deposited. And of course miners will mine on whichever chain is most profitable.

The essential point is that all this is actually good news for Bitcoin, because it seems everything is.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

Humanity was a mistake.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:46 AM
EMOJO JOJO

also I kept skimming that article and now that I'm looking at it again I'm not quite sure that's how the solomon baby story goes
Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 AM
hi there

i don't think they're trying to say that that's how the solomon baby story went

i think they're saying that what they're doing now is equivalent to if the solomon baby story happened like that
Old 08-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Old 08-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

From the picture maybe the cop was pissed that this guy the same age as he is actually gets to retire and is then spending it making his life hell.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:00 AM
It's all good, man

Sounds like a barrel of laughs for the person actually getting ticketed
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Nothing is more powerful

Quote:
My people stand up and say, ‘Mexico will pay for the wall,’ and your people probably say something in a similar but slightly different language.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Also is Mary his wife or is she a friend that went along?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 PM
>TRANCE

This story of yours about "a guy" who goes to "a bar" is riddled with ambiguous language and implausible events. I'm beginning to doubt it is an accurate retelling of events.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Is there not one thing

Well long story short I went to this "ga(y)mer bar" in Atlanta on Cosplay Tuesdays and I was hanging out drinking mimosas (with a sugar rim) and watching some bros play league of legends when this girl dressed as a dryad comes along. I don't normally make "small talk" but something about her breasts overwhelmed my crippling social anxiety so I started talking to her about my world of darkness RP crew and my vampire griffon persona. Based on the way she was dressed and the fact she spoke words to me I assumed she was down for some fun so I bit her on the neck while making a bird-like BWARK noise and, to put it lightly, it wasn't well received (keep in mind I was like 7 mimosas deep at this point).

I brushed it off and went to the bathroom and snorted a bunch of rc chemicals I bought from the local sketchy gas station and got my confidence back. Felt pretty good. Went and talked to her again, had an interesting discussion about the finer points of Battlestar Galactica lore and things seemed to being pretty well but then I took a shot of Patron and decided the best tactic was to bite her friend who I thought was a chick but was actually a dude. Long story short she thinks I'm gay and I'm probably actually gay and I can't go to that bar for two weeks unless I donate $50 to the local guild.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:34 PM
EMOJO JOJO

Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Well long story short I went to this "ga(y)mer bar" in Atlanta on Cosplay Tuesdays and I was hanging out drinking mimosas (with a sugar rim) and watching some bros play league of legends when this girl dressed as a dryad comes along. I don't normally make "small talk" but something about her breasts overwhelmed my crippling social anxiety so I started talking to her about my world of darkness RP crew and my vampire griffon persona. Based on the way she was dressed and the fact she spoke words to me I assumed she was down for some fun so I bit her on the neck while making a bird-like BWARK noise and, to put it lightly, it wasn't well received (keep in mind I was like 7 mimosas deep at this point).

I brushed it off and went to the bathroom and snorted a bunch of rc chemicals I bought from the local sketchy gas station and got my confidence back. Felt pretty good. Went and talked to her again, had an interesting discussion about the finer points of Battlestar Galactica lore and things seemed to being pretty well but then I took a shot of Patron and decided the best tactic was to bite her friend who I thought was a chick but was actually a dude. Long story short she thinks I'm gay and I'm probably actually gay and I can't go to that bar for two weeks unless I donate $50 to the local guild.
This post makes me want to punch someone but also drink a mimosa. Then again it is Monday morning so maybe the post has nothing to do with it.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Is there not one thing

Between this and The_Thicc_Wife_Desirer entering the chat it has been a good weekend for shaking my damn head at people
Old 08-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

"ga(y)mer bar"

Tags
#sexpillows , bad wolf , black hole of humanity , cringe gallery , granos , humor , i am the fork , mine , ominous orchestral swell , perhaps missing the point , post 717782 , priming the pump , prissy little killjoys , professor anime , psychological issues , real life harry potter , sailor moon politics , the best of tt , the worst , this is the best post , tumblr is easy mode , twilight sparkle , twitter is easy mode , very important bothans , weep for humanity