The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM
poisonous thread snake

No, I'm ambivalent towards both bands. G.L.O.S.S.' 'message' is 'important' (though their actual music is just alright) and Whirr is the definition of forgettable, and already known assholes. It's a media blowout about petty clashing two relatively unknown bands, just because one has a member and outlook relevant to a hot-button topic in progressive circles.

I'm not going to incriminate myself by condemning the ruling witch hunt party but I do wish people cared about like- y'know, songs and stuff more than gossip and politics in music itself. The same extends to any other media criticism, really. There's more thinkpieces on dealing with problematic individuals and perspectives than discussion of any actual work or process.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:42 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Whirr, a mediocre shoegaze band best known for inanely trolling everybody and everything through social media (and not at all for their actual music)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
I'm not going to incriminate myself by condemning the ruling witch hunt party but I do wish people cared about like- y'know, songs and stuff more than gossip and politics in music itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
Uhhh what are you trying to say, here?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:55 PM

I shared a stage with Whirr once. It was a really fun show, but their music is mega boring. I think I left early.

When you call a transgender/queer punk band a "bunch of boys in panties", sorry, you deserve every ounce of shit thrown at you. When they got called out on their shit, they kept acting like massive pricks, calling for GLOSS to "keep trying" (in regards to suicide).

It's interesting to watch as, the more internet culture becomes mainstream, the more people discover that the shit they say on the internet has actual real consequences. This is such an example of this phenomena. They acted like dicks on the internet their entire career. Now they're feeling sorry for themselves, because everyone is treating them like they've been acting like dicks their entire career. 100% deserved, they can eat shit. Good riddance.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:37 PM
poisonous thread snake

They have been acting like dicks their entire career. I agree that what they said about G.L.O.S.S. is unacceptable, but I just don't understand why that was the specific straw that broke the camel's back, especially considering how many terrible things they've said over the few years they've been around. Why is this specifically so much more important than all the other things?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Who cares WHY this is the straw that broke the camel's back? Why can't we just rejoice that that back did eventually get broken by a straw (the last one, evidently) and a bunch of assholes are getting what they have deserved for some time?

Full disclosure: I've never heard of either of these bands, but saying vile shit about another band because one member is trans is not okay, so fuck those guys.

Also I've listened to some songs by BORNS on Yubtub and I like it, gonna have to check that out
Old 10-23-2015, 01:09 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Can you knowledgeable music scholars give me suggestions to listen to based on my recent interest in LCD Soundsystem?

At first I wasn't super keen on this guy. His songs felt too simplistic compared to what I normally listen to, but I kept coming back to it and it grew on me.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Gesundheit!

Talking Heads, New Order, Brian Eno and late '70s Bowie (specifically the Berlin trilogy) are all pretty key components of LCD Soundsystem's mish-mash of influences.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:45 AM
A real human being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Also I've listened to some songs by BORNS on Yubtub and I like it, gonna have to check that out
It's so good! I don't think there's even a bad track on the album to be honest.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Can you knowledgeable music scholars give me suggestions to listen to based on my recent interest in LCD Soundsystem?
If you haven't already, check out The Juan Maclean, Hot Chip, and Cut Copy.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Talking Heads, New Order, Brian Eno and late '70s Bowie (specifically the Berlin trilogy) are all pretty key components of LCD Soundsystem's mish-mash of influences.
You know I never got around to listening to Talking Heads. Got Bowie pretty thoroughly covered and New Order wasn't terribly appealing when I checked them out years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawks View Post
If you haven't already, check out The Juan Maclean, Hot Chip, and Cut Copy.
Cool, I'll look at them.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:10 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
You know I never got around to listening to Talking Heads.
Stop Making Sense is the best place to start. Their studio albums are more experimental but I like them best live(see also The Name of This Band is Talking Heads).
Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Gesundheit!

Speaking of Bowie, he's got a new one coming in January. Jazz and Krautrock inspired, with a 10-minute first single that he's declining to edit for radio. Never change, Ziggy.

Also a new Tortoise coming that month. January's shaping up to be pretty awesome for those of us living in the past.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:25 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

New Bowie? Nice. The last one was great. If it was any other aging musician who could easily and deservedly rest on their laurels, I'd say "surprisingly" but nope, just plain great. The Stars Are Out Tonight feels like if a People Magazine was intentionally creepy.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:27 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

The new Grimes album is out today. It's pretty fucking great after a couple of listens. But full disclosure, I didn't like her past work a ton besides "Oblivion" and "Genesis" so what do I know.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:26 AM
A real human being

I'm with you there. She had a handful of tracks I liked. This new one is far more palatable.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Gesundheit!

Yeah this feels a lot more fully-formed, if a bit weirdly Taylor Swifty in parts?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 AM

I'm kind of completely on the fence about it. It's highs are nowhere near the highs of visions as far as I'm concerned, and I think even visions is just more consistent but I still think I like this album a lot. It's lows are pretty low though, but Pins and Flesh Without Blood (and a couple others) slay.

Last edited by pudik; 11-06-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

I honestly can't name a track on it I don't like. Some are more memorable than others, but as I'm listening through the album, there's never a time I'm tempted to skip a track or anything.

Kill V. Maim for life.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:55 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

So remember Depression Cherry, from Beach House? Came out at the end of August?

Apparently Beach House released ANOTHER album in mid-October. That's crazy. I've only listened to it once through, and I know it sounds crazy but it's a little downcast and minimalist even for a Beach House album, but as always, I like it. It doesn't really hit the big emotional melancholy highs of Depression Cherry or Bloom (or even aim for those highs, tbh). It's more of a consistent and steady drain.

New Grimes? I'm in.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:16 AM
There he is!

A few things I've been listening to lately:

The new Kurt Vile album is kind of a snooze when it isn't being actively irritating. The last War On Drugs amplified all the parts of them I really liked while turning down the parts that always bored me in the past. This album does the exact opposite for Vile.

Protomartyr's album The Agent Intellect is like a really sinister combination of Titus Andronicus and Future of the Left. I like it a lot, but the lead singer's voice takes a while to get used to.

Neon Indian's Vega INTL. Night School has a lot of really strong moments in its first half and then just kind of peters out.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Gesundheit!

This is the first time I've really been onboard with a Joanna Newsom album on more than an intellectual level. It's got all of the crazy orchestration of Ys but feels a lot more grounded, and doesn't go on fooooreeeeeeveeeer like the last one. It sounds like Newsom is prancing through a musical as only she can envision it.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 PM
so exciting!

new santigold single
Old 11-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Apparently there's a ton of people on Soundcloud who still do piles of 80's synth music, and that's an amazing and glorious thing.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Moving in Stereo remains one of the greatest moments in 80s pop culture. (Yes, I know it was released in 78, but it's more 80s than 70s)
Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 AM
poisonous thread snake

I still only really like the first Protomartyr album but it's cool to see that they've "made it" or whatever. They tour and they're signed to an arm of Sub Pop... I dunno how much further a bunch of not-pretty middle-aged dudes can go in rock these days.

Also how good is "Grease" by the Flamin' Groovies? So good. So, so, so fucking good. SLOW DEATH.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:52 PM
Blue Comet

The music is great, but the video is just as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g9HvbKiHNc

Look at this guy's fingers fly! Now that's some skill right there.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 PM

This new Bowie single is aggressively weird. Well, it's par for the course for Bowie, but still.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Gesundheit!

The song kind of uncomfortably evokes his trend-hopping, kitchen-sink '90s material for me, but I'm willing to give it time to grow on me.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:54 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Surprising no one, I liked it but I readily concede that it's super duper weird and most people will hate it.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:16 AM
bunch of bozos

Wow, Yangus, thanks for posting that. I didn't even know Bowie had a new single.

It sounds kind of like he wanted to encapsulate his entire musical career into 10 minutes, then got Thom Yorke, TV on the Radio, and the Knife to fiddle around at the beginning and end.

Man, I sure do like it though, on first listen. I have to give it many, many more listens.

Who puts out a 10-minute single!?

Tags
aural addiction , deals , headphone drama , italo disco , recommendations