The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-07-2017, 12:10 PM
is Earnest

I hadn't heard from anyone about tonight and a friend just invited me to a brewery, so I'm going to make the call that there's no game tonight.

I'm still waiting to hear from one player in my home game, but I'm 90% sure I'll be free to run a Roll 20 game on Wednesday.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 PM

I might be able to be around Wednesday. Throw up a time and I'll know for sure.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:08 PM
is Earnest

I'll be free any time after 6:30. Just let me know when you all want to start.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:46 AM
Prancing in the rain

Location: Maryland, right next to that capital of the U.S. thing.

I'm good for pretty much all day tomorrow after 3pm est.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM
We just don't know.

I should be back from my errands by then, so I'm good for any time!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:54 PM
We just don't know.

We need a few more to get going! Anyone around? Or will be later?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 PM
We just don't know.

Not tonight's session but the one previous.

Quote:
Wizards in Aelusk said they detected Magic from west, over the hills. Big magic. Didn't say what kind, though. So Cheryn, Echo and I went west.

We came right away to a terrible sight. A maw demon battling with a strange little blue man thing and two giant rats. The little blue man disappeared as we killed the maw demon, but then his rats attacked us and he reappeared! So we killed him too. Very rude.

Then we found ants. Lots of ants. Lots and lots and lots of ants. A massive swarm of ants, thousands, millions, going east by southeast. All going in the same direction, with none coming back the other way. Very strange. Very unnatural. My Murder of ravens had quite a feast, though. I was concerned but the others wanted to keep moving west. Echo's owl familiar followed them from the sky for a while and saw that the swarm of ants continued for miles. This perversion of nature unsettles me. What is calling or driving the ants? I must go back to find out more.

As the foothills rose into mountains, we came upon a huge dire wolf. It looked at us, but I was able to speak to it. I offered it some food and it gratefully walked away. The matter was settled. That is, until Cheryn decided he just HAD to spend some time observing it. So I tracked the wolf to a ravine where it met other dire wolves. Echo conjured a disc of water to levitate far above, gave Cheryn the water-walking ring, and he floated well above them for an hour, observing. I went to hunt nearby and caught some squirrels in case we needed to offer any more food.

We moved onwards and upwards and came to a small castle, about 80 feet across, as night fell. Lighting torches alerted some Xvart, the strange little blue "people," on the ramparts to our presence, and they started throwing rocks at us. We fell back and camped for the night. On the way back in the morning, we were waylaid by a hunting party of 4 Xvart, one riding a giant bat. When we reached the castle again, I sneaked around the perimeter and found a door in the southern face. But time was short, and we had to mark the area to revisit later.

My new companions, the Murder of ravens that I have befriended, is going well. They fight fiercely alongside me, and their eyes are even sharper than my own, making them useful to have onhand as extra lookouts. I pity whatever finds itself on the other end of not only my swords but their beaks. Their many, many, sharp little beaks and their ravenous appetites...
Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 PM
is Earnest

+ Inspiration for Mag. (should there be a better reward for writing these up?)

XP for tonight:
Explorers: Mag, Caroline, Cheyrn, Draugma
Discoveries: Waterfall Cave (300), Underground Crystal (300)
Treasure: 412 Copper (4), 316 Silver (31), Bone Statuette (25), 2 Potions of Healing (100), Wind Fan (500)
Monsters: Encountered Giant Elk (225), 5 Buzzards (250), 5 Skeletons (250), Encountered 2 Auroch (225), 6 Grimlocks (300)
/ 4 = 627 each

Plus, have an updated map (hexes you've explored + adjacent ones):

How does everyone feel about the Three Pillar Experience system? I'm thinking about using it, but I don't want to switch over if people don't like it.

Also, feel free to share any feedback, positive or negative. I'm just kind of winging all of this, so I'd be interested in what kinds of things I can change or improve on.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:20 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
How does everyone feel about the Three Pillar Experience system? I'm thinking about using it, but I don't want to switch over if people don't like it.
I like it, myself. Makes it easier to keep track of how far we have to go.

The only issue I see is how you handle XP when you have parties of wildly-disparate levels.

EDIT: Also I labeled the map, lemme know if I missed anything. I didn't quite remember where the ants were, so I guessed.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:06 AM
We just don't know.

Phew, just barely crossed the threshold to level 4. Woo! Now it's gonna be weeks before I can play again, but Mag and the Murder will be back stronger more dexterous than ever!

Also, hooray for the map!

You guys better keep up the detailed writeups or else
Old 08-10-2017, 07:36 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
The only issue I see is how you handle XP when you have parties of wildly-disparate levels.

EDIT: Also I labeled the map, lemme know if I missed anything. I didn't quite remember where the ants were, so I guessed.
Nice! The spot where you have ants is a pair of towers that R^2 crew explored. Cricket the owl spotted the anthill one watch closer to Aelusk.

I'll have to think about XP a bit. It's mostly going to come into play to determine if enemies are worth 2 or 5 xp for the higher level players. The real question is whether the enemies are very easy for the party to handle, if they're a fair challenge, or if they're extremely difficult. I'll come up with a few scenarios and see how much of a difference it makes, but I might just use a party average.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM
We just don't know.

I think the new experience is not a great match for this campaign, since there's basically no social at all. You'd have to multiply the other two as per the last paragraph of the UA.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 AM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Nice! The spot where you have ants is a pair of towers that R^2 crew explored. Cricket the owl spotted the anthill one watch closer to Aelusk.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:53 AM
hi there

paging patrick, paging patrick

game any time this week?

(also i'd been leaning away from doing a summary of last session in order to grant some of the newer players a chance to get inspiration, but if no one else is gonna...)
Old 08-15-2017, 02:20 PM
is Earnest

Hey, sorry for the lack of updates. I'll be free tomorrow evening if anyone wants to get a game going.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Any new thoughts on acquiring spells?

Asking for a friend. :-D
Old 08-15-2017, 08:04 PM

I can be here if I have an exact time Wednesday.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I'm not sure when I'll be home, but I'll hop into Roll20 when I am and see what's going on.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand of Vecna View Post
Any new thoughts on acquiring spells?

Asking for a friend. :-D
Yeah, let's just keep it simple: wizards can spend downtime (plus the required gold) to learn new spells from the Mage Poets (Bard Spell List). 5 days of downtime per spell level. That will give you a fair number of spells, but you'll have to work a bit for them and some will only be available through your class levels or finding other wizard's spellbooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikial View Post
I can be here if I have an exact time Wednesday.
I should be ready by 7:00 Central Time tonight, and we can start anytime after that.
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

I like it! See you soon.
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
is Earnest

Running a bit behind, but will be there as soon as I can.

Tags
attempted murder , dungeons and dragons , penalty for being bard , what are kenku?