The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Sounds like tonight's going to have fewer possible players, so I'll jump in for today and let the Kenkrew take tomorrow.
Ok, cool. Are you still without voice options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
I am interested in playing tonight, yeah. I can't do tomorrow. Also, I'll be at Emporium tonight for Netrunner, so if you're willing to have me over, let me know!
Sounds good. Want to aim for 6:30 (central) or later so I have a little time to straighten up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Three out of four corvids are available tonight too if you need to round out a party. I feel no need to monopolize the game with the same group two nights in a row, but if you need an extra fighter, wizard, or warlock I know a guy.
Yeah, if no one else is free tonight you are welcome to join.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Bob

Ah, Netrunner is at 7:30 PM so I'll probably eat dinner at home and then come over to your place. I'll send you a PM giving you a better estimate of my ETA when I know.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:05 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Ok, cool. Are you still without voice options?
Until around mid-August, yeah.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Ah, Netrunner is at 7:30 PM so I'll probably eat dinner at home and then come over to your place. I'll send you a PM giving you a better estimate of my ETA when I know.
6 is cool then. Or would you rather meet after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Until around mid-August, yeah.
No worries, just checking.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Bob

I mean I'll skip Netrunner for this! Dinner should probably be done by 7 but I'll letcha know.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:46 PM
We just don't know.

I've got an extra (unusual) sword practice tonight 7-9 PST, and normal practice tomorrow, so I'm out both days. D: I'm free on Sunday, though?

But I've decided on playing a Beast Enclave Ranger, using the UA Revised Ranger character sheet. I'll make one up soon!
Old 07-05-2017, 04:23 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
I mean I'll skip Netrunner for this! Dinner should probably be done by 7 but I'll letcha know.
Cool. Let's all aim for 7. I won't begin until turtle, Umby, and R^2's crew are present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I've got an extra (unusual) sword practice tonight 7-9 PST, and normal practice tomorrow, so I'm out both days. D: I'm free on Sunday, though?

But I've decided on playing a Beast Enclave Ranger, using the UA Revised Ranger character sheet. I'll make one up soon!
Yeah, Beast Enclave is rad as hell! Did you pick an animal?

My weekend is a bit up in the air. I'm definitely busy Friday and Saturday, but I might be able to swing Sunday evening. I'll post in here when I'm more certain.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Written in common and posted on a cork-board in the mess hall:

Quote:
What Did Happen When I Left Aelusk
by Bell

me and echo and verana and cheyrn and draugma went out to see why the woods are lots of smoke

there are spiders so if you do not like spiders watch out for the spiders they are very big but cheryn can be a spiders and echo can say things that kills spiders so they are probably good to ask about spiders if you are scared of spiders

near where the river bends there is a cave with some purple plants inside they grabbed the owl that echo has so we went in the cave to save the owl there were a lot of plants like that but verana hit them with her fists and now there are not as many plants (p.s. the owl is fine)

there was a bear in the cave which was a surprise but the bear was cheyrn again he can be a bear or a spider

at the back of the cave past a human skeleton with some money (we took the money) was a very large thing that cheyrn says is called a FLAIL SNAIL its shell was very shiny and I wanted to bring the shell back but everyone decided they did not want the shell and the flail snail was very big so we left the cave and came back to the fort

we did not find where the smoke is sorry

if you want to know where the cave is echo has a map and if you are going out to get the shiny shell please tell me and echo we would be happy if we had some of it
Old 07-05-2017, 09:56 PM
is Earnest

Well done! + inspiration for you. Also, I granted inspiration to Echo for using shape water to communicate.

XP:
Explorers: Draugma, Bell, Echo, Cheyrn, Verana
Discoveries: Polluted River (300), Flail Snail Vale (300)
Treasure: 5 Platinum (50)
Monsters: spiders (300) fungi (200) encountered flail snail (350)
/ 5 = 300 each

Last edited by Patrick; 07-11-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:55 PM
We just don't know.

I... just might make my ranger...

a kenku...

...link me kenku info D:

That or a variant human to grab a fear. Or maybe a stout halfling, riding around on/with a bear friend bigger than me! O:

Or aarakocra?!

But also. I think I'm not going to make an archery ranger. I know, right?! I think I'll go melee! Melee ranger! I'll show you, D&D archetypes!

...bows can get boring

Then I could do a STR-based one, like a variant human or half-orc, to go for dual-wielding... I wonder how many bonus actions I'll need...

Last edited by Paul le Fou; 07-06-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 PM
is Earnest

Kenku are in Volo's Guide to Monsters. Melee Ranger is solid!

I'm not going to be free on Sunday night after all. Any interest in playing Sunday morning? I'm free until Noon central time. Otherwise, how about Monday?

R^2 and anyone else, I'm free after 6:30 central tonight. Let me know what time you want to start.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

The racial flavor for Kenku is that whatever powerful patron created them, they betrayed it. As a result, they lost all creativity, their voices, and the ability to fly. That last one is particularly irksome, many kenku covet flight over anything else.
Kenku make excellent thieves and minions, and everyone knows it, so they aren't very well-respected members of society.
Part of playing a kenku is not having the ability to form coherent speech for yourself and communicating through phrases you've overheard and sound effects. This is much easier in an online game where you can type "/me giraffe noise" instead of trying to make that sound yourself.

Kenku is +2 Dex, +1 Wis
Kenku are Medium (around 5') and move speed is 30.
Expert Forgery: Kenku can make replicas or copies of objects with the same talent they have for mimicking noises. Advantage on all checks to copy someone else's work.
Kenku Training: Pick proficiency in two: Acrobatics, Deception, Stealth, Sleight of Hand
Mimicry: You can't form your own speech. You have a nigh-eidetic memory for sounds, and can mimic noises perfectly. You can understand and write in Common and Auran.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
R^2 and anyone else, I'm free after 6:30 central tonight. Let me know what time you want to start.
I'm already in the game chat with my wife while she finishes up her character backstory. The others should be in before you are.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
So we're a party of ravens, so to speak. Well, they all were (they being Bell, Parrot, and Echo), whereas I am a mere humble servant of The Raven Queen, and have my Sentient Raven friend, Poe. But I think it's close enough.

We wander into the woods -- they're a deep woods, but there's a couple of towers on the horizon, and we feel the need to investigate, because why the heck else would we be in the woods? On our way, we're all a little noisy (okay... I'm a little noisy, my bad) and we attract a couple of giant rats. Which... not pleasant, nor were what they were chewing on before they found us. But Bell hit and killed one and the other fled, clearly seeing that Bell does good work and was probably out of its element.

We continue on, and find the towers. They're tall and stone and mostly unremarkable, but unremarkable things often have treasure, so you know, we explored.

THEN THESE AWFUL NASTY MOUTH MONSTERS SHOWED UP AND HOLY SHIT. APPARENTLY THEY'RE IMMUNE FROM BALL BEARINGS TRAPS. ASSHOLES.

One of our party, Parrot, took investigative point and seemed to be bleeding out for a time while Bell, Echo and his/her Owl friend (it's a good Owl, folks), and I laid waste to the monsters. After realizing Parrot was unaccounted for, I happened upon him in the tower and Healed him with my Hands. He returned to the fray, and we dispatched the monsters, Bell taking a bit of damage herself. Echo is handy with healing elixirs, so it wasn't the end of the world when a giant heckin' (are you getting the theme here? GIANT EVERYTHING APPARENTLY) bat flew into our midst. Parrot struck it with an arrow and it, too, realized it was outmatched, and fled.

After a short, restorative rest, we investigated the rest of the tower and found some goodies: Chrysoprase gems and another Healing Elixir. Magnanimously, we split our loot.

There's nothing much to speak of in the other tower, other than a lot of bat droppings, but the views are lovely from the top. Mountains to the north and west, more forest and vegetation to the general south.

Do with this as you will, friends.

Yours sincerely,
Mia
Old 07-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

via
Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 AM
We just don't know.

Mag the Kenku ranger is rolled and ready! I haven't copied over all my items and shit but that should handle things. There's a bit of bookkeeping I want to do with buying some starting gear before I do my first adventure too, but we can talk it over whenever that happens~
Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Patrick, how much EXP did Corvidteam get for exploring the tower?

Did anyone sign on for a session tonight?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:37 AM
is Earnest

+inspiration to Mia.

Experience for the last session:
Explorers: Bell, Echo, Parrot, Mia
Discoveries: a pair of towers (300), surrounding area (300)
Treasure: 7 Chrysoprase Gems (350), a Potion of Climbing (50)
Monsters: 2 Giant Rats (50), 2 Maw Demons (400), 1 Giant Bat (50)
/ 4 = 375 each

^Do you want things broken out like this, or should I just give you a total? I'm keeping track of it on my end, so either way is fine with me.

No one has signed up for tonight yet. I have to stop at my Dad's after work, but I should be free by 8:00 Central Time. I think I'm free this Wednesday too.

Also, my close friends are expecting and the due date is this week. I may have to cancel at some point depending on how things go. Just wanted to give a heads up.

Last edited by Patrick; 07-11-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Bob

I may be free tonight, but it's dicey.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:21 AM
We just don't know.

Monday is my AFK D&D night :c
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 AM

I'm up for tonight!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I haven't sent out texts yet but to my knowledge thus far I'm free tonight and might get another corvid involved to fill out a party.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:29 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
I haven't sent out texts yet but to my knowledge thus far I'm free tonight and might get another corvid involved to fill out a party.
you mess with the raven you get a pavin'

caw caw motherfucker
Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Bob

Yeah, I'm out for tonight unfortunately
Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
There's a bit of bookkeeping I want to do with buying some starting gear before I do my first adventure too, but we can talk it over whenever that happens~
Shopping and leveling up has to happen outside of the sessions. Any item in the PHB is fair game. No need to run things by me unless you want something that's not in there, in which case just ask.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:20 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Shopping and leveling up has to happen outside of the sessions. Any item in the PHB is fair game. No need to run things by me unless you want something that's not in there, in which case just ask.
Word!
Old 07-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Hand of Vecna/Echo and Kristin C./Mia are available to play tonight. Kristin has specifically said she'll show up as a fourth only if no one else is available, so the party as I understand it is Turtle, Vecna, Me, and Umby, but if Umby can't make it Kristin will.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:27 PM
is Earnest

Ok, sounds good. Umby said he's out, so we'll run a game with the four of you using text. I'll probably be on around 7:30 or 8.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:36 PM

I'll be there!

I should look up prepared spells...
Old 07-10-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyrn
Mia, Bell, and I continued our trek into the forest, aiming for the smoke that continues to rise. We felt as though we were being watched as we followed the river; Mia said she managed to get a glimpse of it for a second. Yet it didn't seem to come out toward us, so we continued onward.

After passing the Flail Snail Vale, the river split northeast and southeast. The murkiness was coming from the southeast, so we headed in that direction. We encountered a pair of oozes similar to the ones we found the other day. Remembering their corrosive properties, we stayed back and struck at them from afar, realizing that they weren't fast enough to reach us, much less strike. I should see if I can get that scimitar fixed...

It was around this time that Echo joined us. That feeling of being watched returned, but again, nothing ever came into view, so we continued onward. We also noticed that the vegetation was becoming more withered, probably due to the smoke and ash. We set up camp for the night, which was thankfully uneventful.

We continued southward in the morning, the land having a light covering of ash. We encountered what Echo later wrote were 'flame mephits'. He warned us of their ability to explode as we approached. While the others fired at it with their various ranged attacks, I called upon nature to assume the form of a bear in order to draw their attention...though they seemed to be rather prefixed on Bell. Regardless, we dispatched them quickly enough, and while the explosions would have certainly been dangerous had the others been caught in them, my ursine form was durable enough.

Further southward, we found the source of the smoke and ash; a large building of sorts. Bright red, almost glowing newts stood in front of it, as guards. We chose to return to Aelusk and regroup before attempting entry.

Tags
attempted murder , dungeons and dragons , penalty for being bard , what are kenku?