The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-28-2017, 06:13 AM
is Earnest

Default Welcome to Aelusk Outpost: A West Marches D&D Campaign

THE VALLEY OF THE BLACK PIG
William Butler Yeats

The dews drop slowly and dreams gather: unknown spears
Suddenly hurtle before my dream-awakened eyes,
And then the clash of fallen horsemen and the cries
Of unknown perishing armies beat about my ears.
We who still labour by the cromlech on the shore,
The grey cairn on the hill, when day sinks drowned in dew,
Being weary of the world's empires, bow down to you,
Master of the still stars and of the flaming door.

You are a subject of one of the various Kingdoms in the Empire of Galaran. The Empress, ever interested in expansion, established the Aelusk Outpost in the far places to the west. Her Imperial Mage Poets travel the Kingdoms seeking those who heed the call of adventure or want to move up in society, and conduct them to Aelusk via Teleportation Circle. The outpost contains The Three Moons Tavern, The Dancing Lights Inn, and The Flying Sword General Store, plus a handful of shrines to miscellaneous gods. There are no farmers or craftsmen; all goods are teleported in by the Mage Poets. Though the wilderness surrounding the outpost is dangerous, small groups of adventurers are beginning to explore and map out the region. The map so far:

The area to the South East is Lakely Woods, a lightly wooded area with small lakes and rivers.
The area to the North East is the Auroch Plains, a massive range with herds of wild aurochs.
And to the West are the Wandering Hills, spotted with ancient towers.

Game Info

This is a West Marches style campaign, which means there is no consistent schedule or party. I'll mention times when I'm free, and if there are enough people interested we'll schedule a session. If you let me know specific days that are good for you, I'll try to take that into account. Parties can be 3-5 players, and you're encouraged to adventure with different people each time. If a session fills up, new players are given preference, followed by those who have played least recently. Everyone is welcome to join, even if you just want to try it out.

Each session will start as the party departs the outpost into the surrounding wilderness. I'll provide some rumors and treasure maps to start, but otherwise you'll have to map the land and set goals for yourselves. You roll for encounters as you travel, and the land is scattered with caves, lairs, ruins, and dungeons. You can control the difficulty by paying attention to the environment, and running when you think you're in over your head. Your characters can teleport back to the Aelusk teleportation circle at the end of the session using a warp wire (exploring is more interesting than re-tracing your steps). Shopping, planning, and leveling up happen in this thread in between sessions, and you can gain inspiration (advantage on one roll) for your character by writing a session recap or creating art. Also, if you start rumors in here they may become true.

Rules

If you haven't played D&D before or just want a refresher, here's how it works: The DM describes the environment, the players say what they want to do, and the DM narrates the result. The player character can try to perform any action, plus they have a number of abilities on their character sheet. If the result of the action is uncertain, the DM may ask the player to roll a d20 and add a modifier to determine whether the action succeeds. The DM can also decide that the player character has Advantage (roll twice and take the higher number) or Disadvantage (roll twice and take the lower number) based on what they're trying to attempt. In combat, players roll initiative to determine turn order. On each combat turn a character can move and take one action, plus up to one bonus action and one reaction if they have abilities that use those types of actions.

The Basic Rules for 5th Edition are available for free, and include enough info to build a character using the more iconic races and classes. You can also use any published or playtest (unearthed arcana) races, classes, and feats, and multiclassing is allowed for published classes. If you are making a character from scratch, use Point Buy or the Standard Array for stats. Or, skip all of that and just use a Pregenerated Character. If you're playing as a spellcasting class, you may want to use this site to look up spells. Your character can be any alignment, but characters must work together against the dangers of the wilderness if they hope to survive. All characters start at level 1, and experience is awarded for combat, discovering landmarks, and clearing treasure rooms. When you level up, you can choose between taking the average and rolling for HP. Taking the average gives you slightly higher HP since they round up, but rolling can be fun. If you roll, do it in the chat so there's a record. You can make changes to your character during the first four levels.

The game will take place on Roll 20, which requires you to sign up for a free account. Once you have an account, let me know your username and follow the link below to join the game. Once you have clicked the 'Join Game' button, I can create a blank character sheet in the game for you. From there, you'll be able to change your character's name, add an Avatar/icon to represent you on the map, and fill in your character sheet. Please have your character ready before the scheduled game time. Roll 20 supports text and voice by default, but we can plan text-only games for people who aren't interested in or able to use voice chat. Please specify if you want to play text-only when scheduling a session so that everyone is on the same page.

I'll mention days and times when I'm free. If you want to schedule a session, just post in this thread what time you want to start (including time zone!!), if you have a goal that you want to accomplish (return to X or explore y), and whether you want to use voice or text only. 5e is not demanding regarding party balance, so I recommend playing the character you want to play. The worst case scenario is that you'll have to be a little more cautious than usual.

I'm sure things will come up that I forgot to mention in here, so please let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything.

(create a Roll 20 account, click the link below, click "Join Game," then I can create a blank character sheet for you to fill out)

Link to the Game

List of Adventurers

• Draugma Folium, Half-Orc Paladin, lvl 3 (Umby)
• Cheyrn, Human Druid, lvl 3 (aturtledoesbite)
• Verana Malacrat, Human Monk, lvl 2 (Googleshng)
• Bell, Kenku Fighter, lvl 3 (R^2)
• Oda Sunmoluwa, Tiefling Barbarian, lvl 1 (Traumadore)
• Echo, Kenku Wizard, lvl 4 (Hand of Vecna)
• Parrot, Kenku Rogue, lvl 2 (R^2's friend)
• Mag, Kenku Ranger, lvl 3 (Paul le Fou)
• Mia, Aasimar Warlock, lvl 3 (R^2's wife)
• F'ynn Windstrider, Half-Elf Sorcerer, lvl 1 (Mightyblue)
• Father Tio, Halfling Monk, lvl 2 (periodical)
• Arak Ladier, Elvish Cleric, lvl 2 (Malikial)
• Caroline Dunn, Half-Elf Bard, lvl 1 (Awkward Grunt)

Last edited by Patrick; 08-02-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added adventurers, updated rules
Old 06-28-2017, 07:36 AM
Bob

I'll have to switch characters, since this one is superbly overpowered! I'll think today over what class I want to be. So excited to do this!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM
An Animal of Joy

I made a roll20 account, awaiting invite!

I don't know when I can join, but I just want to set up everything in advance should the opportunity arise. No idea what my character will be yet.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM
is Earnest

You are invited!

Roll 20 is a little odd, but here's how it works:

1) I set up the game and share the invite link (done, the link is in the first post)
2) Players create an account, follow the invite link, and click 'Join Game.'
3) Once you've joined, I can create a character sheet for you and give you the rights to edit it.
4) You can make changes to your character sheet anytime.

So 'Join Game' just means that you are taking part in the campaign at some point and want to set up a character.

E- I had a campaign details link the the main post instead of a campaign invite link. It's updated now and should work.

Last edited by Patrick; 06-28-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM
An Animal of Joy

I have joined and am ready to edit a character sheet.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Invited a friend.

HandofVecna: Registration for Talking Time has been disabled.
HandofVecna: Let him know I'm in. I'm Hand of Vecna on Roll 20, preferably playing a Wizard of some kind

I told him to join the murder and roll a kenku, no response to that yet

Edit: invited another friend. These guys were my D&D group back in Atlanta so I can vouch they are good folks. The more players the more likely a group can assemble for any given session, right?

Last edited by R^2; 06-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:10 PM
is Earnest

In general I'd like players to post in here so they can schedule sessions and make comments in between, but since registration is still closed we're kind of stuck. Basically I'd like everyone to see what's being scheduled and who they're playing with. Are you ok with posting for them in here? They should still be able to read the thread without an account.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Yeah, I'm cool with that.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 PM
is Earnest

Thanks! I'll set up character sheets for them tonight. And hopefully forum registration opens up soon.

I'm pretty busy this week because my brother is in town, I'm hosting a birthday party for a friend at my apartment, and I'm going to be out of town for two days. Sorry for the delay! The next day I'll be free is Wednesday, July 5th.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:54 PM
We just don't know.

I'm interested, though my days are kinda limited. But I like the open time schedule thing, so I'll keep an eye out! My name on Roll20 should be Paul Le Fou.

Looks like we're starting at level 1?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM
An Animal of Joy

I rolled a Barbarian mama. Hopefully I'll have a little time to fill in the bio/profile pic before I join a session.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I'm interested, though my days are kinda limited. But I like the open time schedule thing, so I'll keep an eye out! My name on Roll20 should be Paul Le Fou.

Looks like we're starting at level 1?
Yeah! This game is basically made for people who can only play every now and then. Yes, everyone starts at level 1. Could you click the "Link to the Game" above and click on "Join Game?" If you do that I can create a character sheet for you and you can start building your character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I rolled a Barbarian mama. Hopefully I'll have a little time to fill in the bio/profile pic before I join a session.
Nice! I updated the list of Adventurers.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Tiefling barbarian? Iiiinteresting...
Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 PM
An Animal of Joy

Not everyone is born with synergy, unfortunately.

Edit: I just didn't want to choose another human, which I do too often and we already have two. Tieflings can look somewhat normal if you choose, and fire resistance and dark vision never go amiss.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Bob

I'm going with a Half-Orc Paladin, taking the Oath of the Ancients, eventually.

How does leveling up with regards to HP work in your campaign, Patrick? Do we roll, or do we take the average?
Old 06-29-2017, 07:41 AM
is Earnest

Tieflings and Half Orcs, yes!!

Taking the average gives you slightly higher HP since they round up, but rolling can be fun. I'll leave it up to individual players which they pick. If you roll, do it in the chat so there's a record.

^I'll update the OP with this too.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 AM
Bob

I have no way to prove it, but level 2 gave me a 9 out of 10 possible! I'll roll in the chat in the future.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:37 AM
disguised king of surfing

and then i rolled a 1 in roll20

womp womp

i'm a druid though so it's not like i'll be using my own hp that often
Old 06-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

HandofVecna rolled a kenku wizard, named Echo.

Come on guys

join in the murder

Quote:
HandofVecna: I guess my choice of familiar is obvious
nosimpleway: very tiny human wizard
Old 06-29-2017, 01:07 PM
is Earnest

How about one of these guys with a Wizard hat?

I added a sheet for Paul.

I'll add Echo to the list of adventurers when he updates the sheet in game.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

My wife was pretty ambivalent about the game until she was leafing through Volo's and saw the Aasimar. So she wants in as an Aasimar Warlock.

She actually has a Talking Time account and will be along as soon as we remember what the password is.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 PM
is Earnest

I was asked about whether the history skill would be of any use since this is a wilderness adventure. In my home games, when a player asks for information about an enemy they're facing I have them roll based on the type of creature:

Nature: beasts, fey, oozes, plants
History: giants, humanoids, monstrosities
Religion: celestials, fiends, undead
Arcana: aberrations, constructs, dragons, elementals

If they roll well I'll share some tips about the enemy's abilities. It won't make a huge difference, but it's a nice little bonus and it keeps those skills somewhat relevant.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 PM
disguised king of surfing

i should probably remember that the next time you throw oozes at us

maybe that way i won't get my weapon corroded (though i have wild shape now, what are weapons)
Old 06-30-2017, 06:41 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

My wife didn't want to join as the party's fifth (fourth? Where's Regulus anyway?) kenku. So I dropped the subject and helped her with her aasimar warlock.

Then she, without prompting and apparently without realizing the theme, chose the Raven Queen as her patron.

CAW
Old 06-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

I'm still here! Having reservations about my kenku wizard if there are already several other kenku, though, heh. I may roll something else.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
i should probably remember that the next time you throw oozes at us

maybe that way i won't get my weapon corroded (though i have wild shape now, what are weapons)
Wild Shape is a really nice option, but if you want to fix your scimitar check with other players to see if they have smithing tools.

Yeah, that was a bit rough for the first fight. First level is kind of rough in general. If I was planning it I probably wouldn't have thrown oozes at you, but there are oozes in the region and that's what the dice said was there. I tried to build things so that there won't be any TPKs right out of the gate, but everyone should still be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I'm still here! Having reservations about my kenku wizard if there are already several other kenku, though, heh. I may roll something else.
Cool! You are still totally welcome to join the murder of kenku if you like that concept. There's a lot of space for uniqueness even with the same race & class. It's your call though!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:00 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Follow your heart but the idea of having a multiple-kenku group was what got the other two on board in the first place. Just think, all of us creeping around with racially-granted Stealth, blasting any monsters with the ranged artillery that only a fighter, a rogue, and two wizards can supply -- the poor monsters would never see it coming.

If it helps, I think Echo is going either Diviner or Loremaster. There's room to be different based just on specialization.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 AM
We just don't know.

Character ideas:

~Bear-barian (Barbarian/Moon Druid dual-class) - Half-orc or Dwarf of some sort. This is my favorite so far, and I think it fits the campaign (wilderness wandering), but it takes a while to get rolling because of its dual nature D:

~Grappler. Probably a fighter to start with, with a focus on grappling and shoving to "throw" or "pin" enemies. Not sure how effective that would be in the wilderness though.

~Blade Warlock, Half-elf or Human (variant?). Not sure about pact yet, gonna look back over the UA stuff. (Is UA stuff on the table?)

~Arcane Archer, Phoenix Sorcerer? (Kenku Phoenix Sorcerer?) Some kinda monk, or shit, maybe a ranger. It is the wilderness.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I think Patrick said UA stuff is cool (though I'll probably just include a link to the UA material I'm planning on using when I post a charsheet link).

Putting together a Half-Elf Favored Soul Sorcerer that is either a Red Mage or half-Cleric/half-Sorc depending on how you look at it.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 AM
is Earnest

Paul- those all sound great! Yes, all UA is on the table, but you can only multiclass if you're sticking to published class options. (UA is not tuned for multiclassing)

MB- if you click the link in the first post and then click "Join Game" I'll create a character sheet that you can edit.

Tags
attempted murder , dungeons and dragons , penalty for being bard , what are kenku?