The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Default You Sunk my Scrabbleship! TALKING TIME'S TOP 50 TABLETOP GAMES

Happy Monday, Talking Time! Did you all have a good weekend? Mine was a long one. It involved shopping. It involved cameras. It involved props. But it also involved a lot of fun, and I think it'll quickly become obvious why. After all, it's fun gettin' into trouble.

36 of you voted, and I have taken your votes, and, using the magic of MATHS, converted them into an ordered list of TALKING TIME'S TOP 50 TABLETOP GAMES. It's a great list, and I can't wait to share it with all of you. I guarantee, it's the craziest list you'll ever see.

THE LIST:
#49 (tie) Guess Who?
#49 (tie) Boss Monster
#48 Candy Land
#47 Checkers
#46 Solitaire
#45 UNO
#44 Cards Against Humanity
#43 Kingdom Builder
#42 Apples to Apples
#41 Dixit
#40 Cribbage
#39 Big Boggle
#38 Arkham Horror
#37 Space Alert
#36 BattleCON
#34 (tie) Terra Mystica
#34 (tie) Love Letter
#33 Battleship
#32 Monopoly
#31 Agricola
BONUS Tichu
#30 HeroQuest
#29 Android: Netrunner
#28 Yahtzee
#27 Scattergories
#26 Pictionary
#25 The Game of LIFE
#24 Race for the Galaxy
#23 The Resistance / Avalon
#22 Power Grid
BONUS Galaxy Trucker
#20 (tie) Poker
#20 (tie) Betrayal at House on the Hill
#19 Go
#18 Mafia / [One Night] [Ultimate] Werewolf
#17 Coup
#16 Clue
#15 Puerto Rico
#14 Ticket to Ride
#13 Hanabi
#12 Scrabble
#11 Dominion
INTERMISSION Featured Downlist Recommendations
#10 Trivial Pursuit
#9 Carcasonne/Carcassone/Carcassonne
#8 RISK / Risk Legacy
#7 7 Wonders
#6 Codenames
#5 Settlers of Catan
#4 Pandemic / Pandemic Legacy
#3 Magic: The Gathering
#2 Dungeons & Dragons
ACTUAL FOR REAL #1
#1 Chess

Wrap-up Post
Behind-the-scenes photo commentary

Before we get into the list proper, though, a quick bit of house-keeping. It's time to discuss the results of the BONUS GAME. A big thanks to everyone who took the time to try and tease out what madness I assembled into my Franken-game, but I'm afraid that there can be only one winner... OR CAN THERE!?

I make the rules here, and two of you did a smashing job of identifying those components, so I'm announcing here that we have two winners: Mogri & DFalcon. They've already been informed of their special prize via PM, and the rest of you will find out what that is at a later date. Congratulations to them both!

I won't be posting a full list of the bonus game components yet because SPOILERS!!!, but I'll post a complete break-down after the results thread concludes (I might need a gentle reminder, though >_>).

Alright, now that that's out of the way, what say we get started with the fun?

Last edited by JBear; 06-02-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#49 (tie) - Guess Who?
The mystery face game

# of players: 2

Can you Guess Who? It's a mystery! We're starting things off with a beloved childhood classic, and I couldn't be happier about it. This game involves two players, seated opposite one another in front of a grid of faces. Each player chooses or is assigned at random one of those faces, and the players take turns asking questions about the opposite player's card in hopes of narrowing down the search field and identifying their opponent's card. As possibilities are eliminated, players can flip the faces face-down onto the grid in a way that's very kinesthetically pleasing. That was always my favourite part as a kid, anyway!

So, as referenced in that photo set, the commercials for this game that aired when I was as a kid involved talking faces, but the ad was quick to point out that they don't actually talk. This is one of those legal disclaimers that people like to poke fun at, like warnings on airplane peanuts. I mean, what kid would be dumb enough to think that the game could talk to you, especially back in the 80s? *sheepishly raises hand* This kid, that's who. Yeah, I absolutely thought they could talk, despite the disclaimer. I don't know if my version of the ad didn't have it, or I just never noticed it, or what, but I was sure this was a game about talking heads. I never owned the game, but my cousin did, and I enjoyed playing it with him, but I was very disappointed to find that his version did not talk. I was not deterred, however! I remember asking my mother that Christmas to find me "the talky version". I have no idea how much time my mother spent looking for it that Christmas, but knowing my mother, probably quite a lot. /facepalm

As for its merits as a game, there's an argument to be made that maybe teaching kids to categorize people according to physical characteristics is perhaps not the best lesson, and there are definitely problems with representation, but on the flip-side, you're never too young to start learning how to optimize a half-interval search algorithm!

Of course, the whole thing falls apart the moment that questions start to get the slightest bit subjective. The example question printed right on the front of the box is "Does your person have a big nose?", which is just asking for trouble. My childhood games of this tended to end with accusations and fighting, but, y'know, kids gonna kid.

(Oh, and BTW, the ranking is not a mistake: we're starting things off with a tie, which means two games tied at #49; the other will be appearing tomorrow.)

Last edited by JBear; 04-11-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 AM
For blood and gold

Thank you, Guess Who, for teaching me how to perform a binary search.

Of course, once I realized that was the optimal strategy, I ceased wanting to actually play the game. But until then (age 9? 10?) the game provided minutes of fun!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 AM
For blood and gold

Also, holy cow. The thread title makes me realize I forgot to put scrabble on my (hastily assembled list).

Do me good, tyrants! That better make it on here!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Thank you, Guess Who, for teaching me how to perform a binary search.

Of course, once I realized that was the optimal strategy, I ceased wanting to actually play the game.
I don't think that's necessarily a problem in and of itself, but the problem is the possibility space. 20 Questions is the same concept, but with a much much larger possibility space, and can still be enjoyable. Or at least, I think so.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Dinger!

Guess Who? gets much more fun when you make it entirely subejective.

"Does your person look like a creep?" "Is vanilla your person's favourite flavour?" "Does your person work in HR?"
Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post

"Does your person look like a creep?" "Is vanilla your person's favourite flavour?" "Does your person work in HR?"
I like the way you play.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Outer Spacean

How exciting!

Guess Who is certainly a great game...I think I forgot it when I put my list together, though.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Not a Beer

Wow, I'm surprised we're starting right out with something getting four mentions. I guess the total number of interesting board games is a good bit smaller than many of our other recent topics, though.

I may have played Guess Who once or twice as a child but I'm not really sure. There is one game high up on my list that I was introduced to recently which has some similar categorization mechanics but more involved gameplay and a much bigger solution space - but since I'm not very plugged in to board game circles I have no idea whether it's popular enough to make the list.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:

It also works if you make up elaborate backstories for each of the characters.

The red haired guy with glasses volunteers at the local animal shelter, but secretly only does it so he can taunt the pets nobody loves. He is a monster.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Bob

Guess Who. Not my favorite, but certainly a classic. Interested to see how many of my games made the list, since it seems like it took quite a few mentions to get onto this list at all...
Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 AM

So, there's no number 50 then?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:02 AM
noble beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
So, there's no number 50 then?
Tie. He's just listing two 49's instead of two 50's, I think, so as to increase their prestige. Admirable!

This game! Have vague but good memories of playing it at a faraway cousin's house decades ago.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Indelible Inkling

Tie at 49, he mentioned it in the post.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I guess the total number of interesting board games is a good bit smaller than many of our other recent topics, though.
I disagree, but then I have more than 50 games within ten feet of me right now.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 AM
noble beast

I almost never played board games as an adult until my sister brought a bunch with her this Thanksgiving and that whole experience owned. (Now I still... almost never play. My list was short as hell) I'm sure there are lots of interesting board games, (that's why I'm excited for this top 50) but playing with a group of more than two is an uncommon commitment.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Video Monster

Guess Who never played this game as a child? This vampire.

I will agree, though, that "kinesthetically pleasing" is the main appeal of probably 50% of children's board games. Case in point: this was the game I coveted for some years of my childhood.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I never played Guess Who growing up. I do remember the TV ads for it though...

4 votes to get in at last place, huh? I'm worried many of the games on my list will not make it now.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Interested to see how many of my games made the list, since it seems like it took quite a few mentions to get onto this list at all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
4 votes to get in at last place, huh? I'm worried many of the games on my list will not make it now.
Consider instead that lots of collision means that more of your games will end up on the list, since more people voted for the same things!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I disagree, but then I have more than 50 games within ten feet of me right now.
Sure, but there's easily 500 comics within ten feet of me. Okay, not 500 different titles, but still. Someone could easily have 500 movies or 500 books on a shelf. There's tons of great games but I'm pretty sure the number is still a small fraction of most of the other kinds of media we've been drawing from, even when cut down by genre.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Out Of Warranty

My Mexican mid-80s version of Guess Who had just four women. So the first question was always "Is You Character Female?" and if the answer was yes the game ended right there.

So Guess Who not only taught me binary searches, also taught me how to optimize them. Thanks, Guess Who!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Safe Space

Quote:

Old 04-10-2017, 10:17 AM
King Of Space-Time

Dem some old timey lamps, JBear
Old 04-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Dem some old timey lamps, JBear
to go with his old-timey sheets. Jbear is a 90 year old woman trapped in a 30 something male's body. =P
Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Ya'll just jelly of how well my sheets and lampshades match.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 AM
It's all good, man

I agree that Guess Who felt enjoyable to play but wasn't much of a strategic meeting of the minds when it happened.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Sure, but there's easily 500 comics within ten feet of me. Okay, not 500 different titles, but still. Someone could easily have 500 movies or 500 books on a shelf. There's tons of great games but I'm pretty sure the number is still a small fraction of most of the other kinds of media we've been drawing from, even when cut down by genre.
Probably the number that most people are familiar with is pretty similar though.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:51 AM
TARANTUL

My sister refused to play Guess Who with me after I got a lucky guess and just flipped over the entire board minus one person on my first question once.

No clue what that question was in retrospect.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
No clue what that question was in retrospect.
"Is your person the one that I see in the mirror behind you?"
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:

My best friend and I played with those same rules until we realized how disturbing it was that we were able to guess exactly which character each of us meant by "would they drive a white van near elementary schools" or "I take out my staff and wizard hat"

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!