The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-21-2017, 10:06 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
First episode was kind of laying all its cards on the table re: Keith replacing Shiro, once he goes to the Space Hospital.

It also had Pidge immediately start going full Castaway.
The writers could also be playing with the old fans who expect him to die, or may be foreshadowing something waaaay down the line.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:54 AM
More than two problems

In case there was any doubt as to what Pidge is about:

She pulls over one of her science rambles to name Alan Turing as a beacon in an era where "far too many--" before she's interrupted.
She later has her very own "what bathroom do I use" crisis scene, played straight until it shifts into a joke and no clear resolution. When Hunk faces one it's immediately solved by Keith.

It's the little things like this that cement her identity as more than just "lol she had Nermal Syndrome in the old anime, here you go we fixed it".

Pidge is great.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

If you'd have told Tiny Octo that Pidge and Coran would be two of the best characters in Voltron, he'd have spit in your eye! Yet here we are.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
Pidge is great.
I was gonna quote the 'Mustache!' line but Daikaiju already did that. Still though, yes, Pidge is great.

One benefit to only watching the first season last fall is that I didn't have to wait all that long for the continuation. But on the other hand this means that once I finish Season 2 I'll have the same long wait for more as everyone else.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 AM
meowgician (chateleur)

Pidge in S2 makes me so damn happy, especially in Grening the Cube.

Like holy shit I have never seen a kids' show depict biology in the context of, like, engineering? Usually it's this NATURE IS SPIRITUAL thing but, like, no, fuck you, it's a science and it's enormously complex and just as technical as machines, organisms are machines, and having the techie kid be associated with plants along that line of thinking instead of having to ~get in touch with their irrational side~ is incredibly satisfying.

Tear down the nature/science binary!!

Pidge keeps accumulating every concept that is precious to me into herself, I'm so endeared.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:55 AM
King Of Space-Time

Old 01-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Totally Radicola!

Were the disguises they used in the mall episode all shout-outs to something? They looked far too deliberate. I think Pidge looked a lot like Simon from TTGL and one of the others may have been Char?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:12 PM
This Guy

I wasn't super crazy about the first season of Voltron, but this second season is really, really good.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 AM
meowgician (chateleur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMer View Post
Were the disguises they used in the mall episode all shout-outs to something? They looked far too deliberate. I think Pidge looked a lot like Simon from TTGL and one of the others may have been Char?
Keith(?) had the shoulderpads of some dude from Dragonball (which I never watched so forgive me my nerd sin). I think they might have been mashups of various iconic anime gear because Pidge had the Kamina glasses but then some other stuff that didn't seem to match it?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:28 PM
beech i told u

spoilers for s2 because what is self control?

seriously don't read this.

fffffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

did shiro dissolve the fucking nerv plug???
Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

Three episodes into the second season and they finally say the word "Robeast".

Mmmmm. Worth the wait.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
spoilers for s2 because what is self control?

seriously don't read this.

fffffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

did shiro dissolve the fucking nerv plug???
I'm putting half my money on that and half my money on him being in zarkon's head

or more like 60-40 I guess

it would be really excellent if he got to ride with whoever the new black lion pilot's gonna be (allura allura allura)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

(source)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:14 PM
so exciting!

Yeah, I honestly hope Allura gets to pilot the Black Lion, especially after they've spent so much time building Keith up for it
Old 01-25-2017, 05:21 AM
Space Prez

I never realized that "robeast" was a portmanteau of robot and beast.
I think as a kid I thought it had something to do with roast beef? Anyway, now I'm hungry.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:05 AM
meowgician (chateleur)

I can't be excited about Keith possibly piloting the Black Lion for the specific reason that Red seems to adore him (see above comic) and breaking them up would be rude as HELL
Old 02-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Just bear with me

Heh, these aliens are based on tardigrades, aren't they?
Old 02-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hologramblue View Post
I can't be excited about Keith possibly piloting the Black Lion for the specific reason that Red seems to adore him (see above comic) and breaking them up would be rude as HELL
But then you get Lance trying to tame the red lion. Sounds like a good arc to me.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Not a Beer

Just finished up season two and all I have to say that hasn't already been said is "What the hell is a SAMMOFLANGE??? (brb lolling forever)

(Oh, also that name drop in the last line. Oh yeah, there was another major character we hadn't seen yet, huh.)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
(Oh, also that name drop in the last line. Oh yeah, there was another major character we hadn't seen yet, huh.)
I'm pretty sure we saw him with Keith and Hunk getting space crystals from the space worm.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Not a Beer

Oh hmm. Interesting possibility. I'd forgotten about that bc at the time I was wondering if it could've been Keith's mom, though that really would've been a ridiculous coincidence right after his revelations, even for a kid's show. But then it was just left hanging so we'll see.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Have we seen a female Galra outside of full body armor like some of the Blades, or potentially the Galra in the worm?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Oh hmm. Interesting possibility. I'd forgotten about that bc at the time I was wondering if it could've been Keith's mom, though that really would've been a ridiculous coincidence right after his revelations, even for a kid's show. But then it was just left hanging so we'll see.
Maybe Keith and Lotor have the same mom.
Maybe Lotor is Keith's dad???
Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 AM
beech i told u

That was clearly a female galra there.

As for my own ideas about the show, I've realised one thing: the creators are perfect little fanpeople shits who know the ins and outs of the goddamned series like us nerds.

As such, the finale shows a few possible options:

(Spoilers ahoy, I'm putting this behind a spoilerpop)

So we have seen Keith pilot the Black Lion, when Shiro was in real danger. I don't think this means he is going to pilot it in S3 necessarily.

In the original show, Keith did pilot the Black Lion, but Allura was meant to take it over eventually. There were several episodes dedicated to that premise.

There's also the fact that we've seen quite a bit of foreshadowing in the opening strip, such as Shiro getting his bayard back after the pan through Zarkon.

I do have a couple of theories on how S3 will go.

1) Keith pilots the black lion temporarily and Allura gets the Red Lion.

As much as everyone wants to see Lance in the Red Lion, I don't think this is going to happen. As Allura originally said, it's tempermental and stubborn. Lance... won't win it over. Unless it's a cameo callback like with Keith piloting the black lion to save Shiro. However we've seen Red just up and pilot himself to save Keith.

2) Allura pilots the black lion temporarily

As the last remaining member of the royal family of Altaea, Allura could be considered the rightful head of Voltron. In addition, the Black Lion's energy was sealed within the castle under her signature. Only the other four lions could break that seal.

3) Nobody pilots the Black Lion

This is the one I think is most likely. After everything that happened, with Shiro's bond strengthening to overpower Zarkon's hold over the Black Lion? I don't think any other pilot will sway the Black Lion. In this version the Lions have their own consciousnesses and desires. It was Shiro's trust in the Black Lion, and his respect for it that won him over.

If that's the case, then the entire season will revolve around trying to find Shiro, and the new conflict that has arisen is that there is no Voltron to protect the universe. This means that Lotor has a chance to rebuild the Galra Empire's strength back.

In addition to this, I feel that it's possible they move back to Arus, or possibly a New Altaea as their ground base. With Zarkon struck down (who may or may not be housing Shiro in his subconscious at this point), and no way to track down the Black Lion, it may be time for them to have a home planet just like in the original source material. This would allow for the Lions coming out of their respective natural areas like in the opener. I agree this may have just been a call-back, but like with Shiro's bayard, it could also be foreshadowing.

Other S3 speculations

Speaking of Shiro, if he isn't inside Zarkon's head, where is he? I think the Black Lion could be housing him, Nerv-plug style, or perhaps he's going on a Mystical Journey into the paaaaaast, via the Lion's memories.

As for Keith and Keith's mum, and Allura. I have a feeling we haven't seen anything quite yet. The alliance between Galra and Altaea seems like a Big Deal. Considering that Haggar was revealed to be Altaean, and her uh, obsession with Zarkon... (she requires access to those pants, for they are Quite Compelling).

I think Lotor is half-Altaean. I think that Keith's mum might be Lotara (I have a way with names), the forgotten daughter of Zarkon and Haggar since she wasn't Into that Empire Bullshit.

It would make sense because then she could easily use her magic Space Elf powers to shapeshift to look closer to human (one of the few "huh what" things I've had in this series). After all, in Keith's dreams, his father keeps saying that his mother will "explain everything", so I don't think he's just got some Galra in his blood from a hundred generations ago.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Allura's mother was Galra too at this point. Considering she hid the fact that Zarkon was the previous Black Paladin, and her obvious emotional turmoil about Keith being part Galra... I can see her hating herself, or blaming that part of her heritage for everything that happened.

Oh and one last thing: I think we're going to see more of the Lion's origins in S3. I know Alfor build the Lions, as Shiro saw through the Black Lion's eyes, but I think there's more to see here. The original JP Golion said that The Beast King Golion was a Huge Jerk and kept fighting to see his power grow. As divine punishment he was split into five, creating the Lions.

I think there might be something there we find out (like the origins of the comets that Alfor used to create the Lions), since the Lions are spiritual in nature, rather than just "machines" like the original series.

That was long. I'm a huge nerd. Apparently Robotic Space God Cats are Serious Bidness for me.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Space Prez

I would have sworn they said at some point that Allura was the original pilot for the blue lion. Guess it's time for a re-watch!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 AM
beech i told u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
I would have sworn they said at some point that Allura was the original pilot for the blue lion. Guess it's time for a re-watch!
No, she only takes over the Blue Lion when "Sven" (Shiro in JP) gets "hurt" (killed).
Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
No, she only takes over the Blue Lion when "Sven" (Shiro in JP) gets "hurt" (killed).
I meant in the new series, at one point she had been a paladin? I think?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I think the only past Paladin we have confirmation on is Zarkon, maybe King Althor once he was done making them.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 AM
beech i told u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
I meant in the new series, at one point she had been a paladin? I think?
Nope she was never a Paladin in the new series. She wanted to use the Lions (and perhaps then been the Blue Paladin) against Zarkon originally, but Alfor said "lel no" and cryostatised her for 10k years. nbd
Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Family Man

Where did Keith get that Galra knife again? I'm halfway through season 2 and I can't remember when that happened.

Tags
and i'll form the head , i'm a leg! , mustache , space hospital , volt ron paul