The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Default Aw, Geez, Rick. I-I-I'm Not Sure We Need a Rick and Morty Thread

Every time this show has a new episode folks go gaga over it in the cartoon thread, then complain that no one's talking about it. Well, let's talk about it!

For those who don't know, Rick and Morty is a sci-fi black comedy cartoon starring off-kilter approximations of Doc Brown and Marty McFly, except that they travel through dimensions instead of time, Doc is an insane drunken maniac, and Marty is super neurotic. What makes Rick and Morty great is its imaginative premises, its improvisational script, and the delicate balance it manages between bleak nihilism and real heart.

The great irony of the show is that the infinite multiverse Rick and Morty explore doesn't inspire a sense of wonder so much as the realization of how meaningless and cruel their universe is. As the astounding recent episode put it, “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?” Rick and Morty spend their time doing random and pointless things, but the universe is random and pointless, so sitting on the couch watching infinite, mindless channels for no purpose other than distraction can be just as fulfilling as pursuing your dreams, because in the end both can leave you empty inside.

And yet, the show has a soft, gooey center which shows up very rarely but keeps everything grounded. The characters truly care about each other, and wring just as much humor out of cheerful joking around as they do from butting heads with one another. The show has just enough humanity to put it above the typical nihilistic Adult Swim fare while maintaining its jagged, bloody edges.

Plus the most recent episode has an extended conversation about the bizarre acting relationship between Lorenzo Music and Bill Murray, so you know. That was great.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:13 PM
happiness is a wet cudgel

This show is totally solid! A pleasant surprise, too, seeing as I came into it with essentially no expectations.

The idea of Brad Anderson channeling his psychotic rage and sexual urges into Marmaduke is unnaturally funny to me.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Kinda weird to be starting this thread up as far removed from episode airings as you can get in the week, but hey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
For those who don't know, Rick and Morty is a sci-fi black comedy cartoon starring off-kilter approximations of Doc Brown and Marty McFly, except that they travel through dimensions instead of time, Doc is an insane drunken maniac, and Marty is super neurotic.
I don't know if that's really a fair way to characterize them. Particularly with the crazy bit. Rick's basic deal is pretty much just that he is exceptionally cynical, he seems at least vaguely aware that he is a character on a TV show, and he has clearly had a long history of crazy sci-fi adventuring before having any sort of faith in humanity and optimism beaten out of him. Morty meanwhile is just... a realistically portrayed up beat nerdy kid, who's still pretty much just your standard upbeat Boy Adventurer type, with a little more realism (interested in sex, doesn't conveniently forget anything bad that happens), who is, as the series goes on, very much in the process of having his youthful innocence completely beaten out of him.

And if we're really doing the primer thing here, in addition to very much having a Doc and Marty thing going on, and a Doctor and sidekick du jour thing going on, Rick is Morty's grandfather. This avoids the usual question of "why does everyone just accept that this random kid and this eccentric old guy are always hanging out with each other?" and also allows the show to remain focused on this general theme of "the universe hates you but your family doesn't."
Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Fifth Business

Fun Fact: accordin' to an interview, the Flu Dance episode was written and planned to be the first episode after the pilot. Think about how much more sense a bunch of the character development makes with that in mind, and with things considered in that order instead of by air-date.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:26 PM

Have a link? Also, wow. That's worth keeping in mind next time they start rerunning.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 PM
borgn

This is one of those shows that's legitimately subversive, since at least the beginning of the life of Adult Swim. Mainly because of this:

Quote:
The show has just enough humanity to put it above the typical nihilistic Adult Swim fare while maintaining its jagged, bloody edges.
I only wonder how long they can keep pulling it off? The kind of blew a lot of loads during this handful of first season episodes. Like for example, as I said in the animation thread, going back to the well too many times to deal with Morty's parent's marriage troubles will start seeing diminishing returns really quickly. It was pointed out that real-world relationships constantly have ups and downs, but they don't go to the brink like they seem to in every episode of R&M. Especially if the last episode's end is going to have any lasting meaning - and that seems to be the direction the writers want to head in.

Also, it's just not feasible from a narrative standpoint. Take The Simpsons for example: how hoary is the "Marge and Homer have marriage problems" plot? At this point it's more of a joke than an actual story structure.

I'd kind of like to see Rick and Morty go on a couple of more all-purpose crazy adventures, you know? They don't have to keep going to the "family crisis" well to subvert the Adult Swim nihilistic formula. The Scary Terry episode proved that very nicely. I was kind of bummed out that they'd do a stupid Nightmare on Elm Street parody until they ended up completely deconstructing it and making it be a feelgood.

I also really hope they do improv, like all the insane TV shows and commercials from alternate universes. Fucking Turbulent Juice.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 PM
borgn

Also, I'm not sure if this is a known fact but the whole show stems from a web cartoon called Doc and Mharti, where the BTTF connection is obviously more direct and it's 100% Not Safe At ALL For Work, and Potentially Life, Depending On How Sensitive You Are To Watching Marty Giving Doc Blowjobs (NSAAFWPLDOHSYATWMGDBJs)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
I don't know if that's really a fair way to characterize them. Particularly with the crazy bit.
Alright, calling him an insane maniac may be a bit much, but he's definitely off-kilter, in the same way the Doctor is off-kilter. His daughter asks him to help her open a jar and he gives her a box which creates magical golems that perform one task and then die. For every rational solution he comes up with, he has another lateral, crazy idea which throws things way out of whack, sometimes disastrously so. He's a mad scientist, in every sense of the word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I also really hope they do improv, like all the insane TV shows and commercials from alternate universes. Fucking Turbulent Juice.
The show is retroscripted, like Curb Your Enthusiasm, meaning they typically come up with a basic plot skeleton and then hash out the lines as they go, particularly with Rick. So there's always an element of improvisation to the show, though yes, the TV shows were a cut above in that respect.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Alright, calling him an insane maniac may be a bit much, but he's definitely off-kilter, in the same way the Doctor is off-kilter. His daughter asks him to help her open a jar and he gives her a box which creates magical golems that perform one task and then die. For every rational solution he comes up with, he has another lateral, crazy idea which throws things way out of whack, sometimes disastrously so. He's a mad scientist, in every sense of the word.
It looks like he does it very deliberately and spitefully. His inventions are offered out of annoyance because someone isn't capable of/doesn't want to do a simple task themselves, and when everything goes to shit he tosses out a sarcastic little "How do you like it NOW" or "I bet you're really having fun with this, huh". I love it.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 PM

It's often mentioned that he had a falling out with his wife, b ut will Rick ever have a flashback? Or will it be some crazy science thing that ends up being the result?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
It looks like he does it very deliberately and spitefully. His inventions are offered out of annoyance because someone isn't capable of/doesn't want to do a simple task themselves, and when everything goes to shit he tosses out a sarcastic little "How do you like it NOW" or "I bet you're really having fun with this, huh". I love it.
Yeah, generally speaking whatever the rest-of-the-family B-story gets up to seems to be largely the result of Rick trying to play the fairy tale genie and teach everyone an important lesson...

... specifically the lesson of "leave me the hell alone already."

And if the show lasts long enough, the amount of character-based stuff they do makes it pretty hard not to eventually get into something with Rick's ex eventually.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:16 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I haven't had the drive to go back to this show since that appalling rape scene in episode, what 4? 5? I just think to myself "should I catch up on Rick and Morty", remember that scene and kinda just grimace and do something else.

That left a bad, bad taste. It's genuinely a shame because I really liked the show, but now I never want to watch it.

Edit: I feel awful for posting this because the show is good, it's funny, well-written... I just think people ought to know about that scene going in because that kind of broke it for me. I saw that someone on the team posted some "explanations" for how they handled the and I didn't really think it excused the sequence. I don't think the show gained anything from having such a scene and it strongly detracted from my enjoyment of it. I still think it's a good show but I'm much less inclined to jump back in after that episode. That's all...
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 AM
A real human being

Peoples' praise for this show led me to check it out. I watched the pilot and first episode, and they both left me cold. I really didn't see where the positive buzz was coming from. Are these episodes actually weak or is it more likely just not for me?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointzeroeight View Post
Peoples' praise for this show led me to check it out. I watched the pilot and first episode, and they both left me cold. I really didn't see where the positive buzz was coming from. Are these episodes actually weak or is it more likely just not for me?
The latter, I expect.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Curious Young Gent

Wait, what scene are you talking about in which episode? I haven't seen them all, so maybe I missed it.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
Wait, what scene are you talking about in which episode? I haven't seen them all, so maybe I missed it.
I think the scene in Meeseeks and Destroy where Morty is assaulted and nearly raped in a bathroom stall by King Jellybean.

Wow, look at that last sentence. Rick & Morty is a crazy show.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM
borgn

That would have made me quit the show if Rick hadn't responded in the ways he did
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Curious Young Gent

Haven't seen that episode. K.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
That would have made me quit the show if Rick hadn't responded in the ways he did
Oh, yeah - this is just it, I think they handled it about as well as they could have without simply not including it. I just found that scene to be rough. Which was the intention!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM
It's all good, man

I actually liked that scene because of the way it was handled afterward. Also that the bad stuff isn't played for laughs at all. It's genuinely frightening.

Rick and Morty is great. Makes me laugh out loud more than anything else on TV right now.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Crazy Old Bird

However you feel about that scene (I'm back and forth on it), I think it's a legitimate reason to stop watching the show. I don't blame anyone for getting upset. You are missing out on some great stuff, though.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 PM

It kind of strengthened my like for the show honestly, simply for what Rick does for Morty. If it didn't happen then yeah I could see why, but it really showed a good bond between the two.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Banned

Meseeks and Destroy is by FAR the best episode. It takes the Twilight Zone gone Comedy aspect of the show and perfectly showcases it. I'm not impressed with how quickly the show seems to have become blase for me, though. With 6 years to develop the characters I'd have thought it'd have more... more. Second best episode was probably the simulation one, or maybe the inception one, but in both cases I felt the show wasn't living up to LOOK AT ME, I'M MR MEESEEKS! I JUST WANNA DIE!

The constant redemption/ruin of Morty's mom and dad is charming. I sorta wish they hadn't Disney Ending'd in the latest episode, but I'm sure something far more disturbing is down the road for them.

I also cringed at the near-rape and almost stopped watching, but I let myself be mollified by the ending probably mostly because I'm such a BttF/Science Fiction/black comedy fan.

Hell, it's not like I'm not going to watch every episode, I'm just saying I think I liked SuperJail more, whatever that says.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
I'm just saying I think I liked SuperJail more, whatever that says.
That the rest of this post can be ignored.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post

For the art mostly! Well there was that one scene where a guy's been starving in his cell for weeks and the guard walks in with a sandwich and he says "Please let me have a bite of that sandwich." and for whatever reason my brain explodes with lol every time. But mostly I liked the show for the art.

yeah ok
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post

Hell, it's not like I'm not going to watch every episode
why wouldn't you

why would you need to be defensive about this
Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I like Superjail more, too. Don't be a dick about cartoons
Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 AM
It's all good, man

It was a joke, geez. Superjail is pretty fun.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
why wouldn't you

why would you need to be defensive about this
it's a double negative! also I caught the joke and I'm bad at ... joking? I'm bad at jokes maybe. Sorry.

Tags
ball fondlers , doc and marty , grass tastes bad , nevernude , turbulent juice , two brothers