The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 PM

Based solely on this spoilered comment, am I correct in guessing the first episode ends with Bran getting tossed out the window?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 AM
A No.1

Yes, you are correct.

(That was phrased in poor taste, though, because if it hadn't happened yet and somebody being introduced to this via the show had checked it, you would have ruined it!)
Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 AM
jiggery-pokery

The casting so far is pretty freaking amazing. I knew Dinklage as Tyrion was going to be good, but I was surprised how awesome everyone else was. I already hate Viserys, and Joffrey seemed like a little prick without even saying a line.

(I'm probably being overly cautious with my spoiler tagging, but whatever.)
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 AM

Eh, those two seem pretty easy to land for me. One's pretty much the most irredeemable jerk in the series, and it's REALLY not hard to cast smug annoying kids.

I'm more interested in... you know what? Way too big a spoiler of stuff that's a season away in TV land, I'll ramble in the book thread.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 AM
It's all good, man

I thought it was solid, not great. Hopefully when they've finished introducing the eight million characters they'll be able to do some real good stuff.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 AM
had a hammer

Anyone else think it was weird that Dumbledore was helping to sell off Daenerys.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Curious Young Gent

I haven't read the books, and thought it was great. Especially for a fantasy show that wasn't at all battle heavy (and I'm lead to believe won't be). I recently started watching The Wire and this is a much better series opener for character introductions across multiple groups, scene-setting, giving you an idea of where the story might go, etc. So hopefully it won't sink in quality after a great opener like The Walking Dead! I am now motivated to read the books, at last, anyway.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 AM
We have got the maxim gun

It's strange that they insist on saying Sansa is 13 when she looks 3 or 4 years older. It'll seem even more strange if/when they get to later books.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah, it's odd that they cast her old for the part and not Joffrey.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
So hopefully it won't sink in quality after a great opener like The Walking Dead! I am now motivated to read the books, at last, anyway.
No, I'd say the quality is relatively consistent across the first 6 episodes. I was worried about that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinspinner View Post
It's strange that they insist on saying Sansa is 13 when she looks 3 or 4 years older.
Really? I hadn't noticed she was much older than that. I mean, I guess now that I think about it she doesn't look 13, but she didn't feel out of place next to Joffrey for me.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Really? I hadn't noticed she was much older than that. I mean, I guess now that I think about it she doesn't look 13, but she didn't feel out of place next to Joffrey for me.
I think the actress just looks older than she is. In the books she's eleven, if I'm not mistaken, and Joffrey's 13, so really they just made their ages the same.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
It's all good, man

Never mind. I still think she looks too old in comparison.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
I haven't read the books, and thought it was great. Especially for a fantasy show that wasn't at all battle heavy (and I'm lead to believe won't be). I recently started watching The Wire and this is a much better series opener for character introductions across multiple groups, scene-setting, giving you an idea of where the story might go, etc.
Yeah, I haven't read the books either, and the first episode gave me a pretty good grasp of what's going on. I'm not exactly sold on the story though. One case of brother-sister incest is to be expected in a gritty fantasy story, but two? In the first episode? That's just excessive.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkara View Post
Yeah, I haven't read the books either, and the first episode gave me a pretty good grasp of what's going on. I'm not exactly sold on the story though. One case of brother-sister incest is to be expected in a gritty fantasy story, but two? In the first episode? That's just excessive.
Viserys and Daenerys aren't incestuous. It's tradition in their family, but I don't think the two of them ever did anything.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Viserys and Daenerys aren't incestuous. It's tradition in their family, but I don't think the two of them ever did anything.
Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em, and when Elric strips his sister naked and fondles her tits, that's incest to me.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
It's all good, man

I know you guys are saying you were able to get everything from that episode, but I'm not totally convinced you did. Without checking, how many children does Ned have, and what are their genders and relative ages?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
gatchapon 3*

yeah, my wife had that problem with the show as well. they don't tell you who theon greyjoy is until way later, despite him being there from the beginning, and they don't tell you why he matters until even later than that.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quick question: Did they essentially swap the ages of Sansa and Arya?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
Quick question: Did they essentially swap the ages of Sansa and Arya?
What? Sansa was always older. Arya's just more grown up.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
What? Sansa was always older. Arya's just more grown up.
Wow.

For whatever reason, I've gone this entire time thinking that Sansa was the youngest. How fucking weird.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:01 PM
It's all good, man

It does seem though like they aged Bran and Sansa a bit without doing the same for Arya.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
We have got the maxim gun

For the interested, the ages of the children in the books, as of GoT:

Robb - 14
Jon - 14
Sansa - 11
Arya - 9
Bran - 7
Rickon - 3

Joffrey - 12 (And taller than Jon or Robb, to their chagrin.)

I forget the rest of their ages.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
yeah, my wife had that problem with the show as well. they don't tell you who theon greyjoy is until way later, despite him being there from the beginning, and they don't tell you why he matters until even later than that.
To be fair, they were introducing a lot of characters, and Theon isn't really important until later anyway. But I liked that I could tell who he was and that he was appropriately douchey.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I know you guys are saying you were able to get everything from that episode, but I'm not totally convinced you did. Without checking, how many children does Ned have, and what are their genders and relative ages?
I think you're being way too hard on it. You couldn't name every character, their rank in their respective hierarchy, and motivations for all the characters that appeared in the pilot for The Wire, either. Just like that, it focused it a bit and will expand as necessary.

I honestly vastly prefer that to a huge info dump at the beginning. And really, harping on it because you can't place everyone's ages? That doesn't matter at all, other than "___ is younger/older than ___" and it came off rather well, I thought. (And apparently, even people reading the books didn't get all that right!)

I suspect the only people worrying about how much to keep track of are the ones that have read the books. (And I'll bet dollars to donuts Shivam was talking about, say, Theon and inadvertently put more emphasis on him, which is why his missus was stressing about it.)
Old 04-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Dinger!

Also, with the books, it took a while to have any idea what the heck was going on. Especially with Viserys and Dany. I think they did a great job.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
I think you're being way too hard on it. You couldn't name every character, their rank in their respective hierarchy, and motivations for all the characters that appeared in the pilot for The Wire, either. Just like that, it focused it a bit and will expand as necessary.

I honestly vastly prefer that to a huge info dump at the beginning. And really, harping on it because you can't place everyone's ages? That doesn't matter at all, other than "___ is younger/older than ___" and it came off rather well, I thought. (And apparently, even people reading the books didn't get all that right!)

I suspect the only people worrying about how much to keep track of are the ones that have read the books. (And I'll bet dollars to donuts Shivam was talking about, say, Theon and inadvertently put more emphasis on him, which is why his missus was stressing about it.)
I thought it WAS an info dump, I'm just wondering how effective it was considering how much there is to explain. I thought it was good, but not excellent.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Democratic Robot

Quote:
Acually, I forced my mother to watch it and she was confused as to who Theon was. I had to explain to her who he was and why it mattered, and I heard a rumor that the show doesn't do that until episode 4 or so.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucular View Post
Acually, I forced my mother to watch it and she was confused as to who Theon was. I had to explain to her who he was and why it mattered, and I heard a rumor that the show doesn't do that until episode 4 or so.
Right. The point is: why does it matter if mom knows who he is right now? He's not important at all at this point. He's more or less a background character, but with a couple lines so it won't feel weird when he gets more important. I'd once again bet dollars to donuts she's only thinking about him because you asked. (Again, to use The Wire to illustrate my point: He's like Lester Freamon, or possibly Weebey.)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Right. The point is: why does it matter if mom knows who he is right now? He's not important at all at this point. He's more or less a background character, but with a couple lines so it won't feel weird when he gets more important. I'd once again bet dollars to donuts she's only thinking about him because you asked. (Again, to use The Wire to illustrate my point: He's like Lester Freamon, or possibly Weebey.)
How dare you compare Lester to Theon.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
this is fake news

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
Wow.

For whatever reason, I've gone this entire time thinking that Sansa was the youngest. How fucking weird.
That's 'cause Sansa is the one who'd look up if someone told her "gullible" was written on the ceiling.

Tags
boob of boobs , da king in da norf , hbo , hodor , meanwhile in dorne , ours is the fury , stupid sexy jorah , television , the north remembers , tits and dragons , you know nothing