The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Hopefully they will festoon him with pouches in post.
And hide his feet behind dead bodies, debris, and random scenery.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Half-Ninja

He also has a Teddy Bear on his waist.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:21 AM
EMOJO JOJO

Finally saw Homecoming. It's a teen movie where the people actually behave like teens! It's brilliantly cast! It's genuinely funny! It continues to drive home the idea that Tony Stark is the prime mover of basically everything bad in the Avengers universe! It's about as close as I ever expect to get to the platonic ideal of the movie starring just a bunch of normal people trying to live their lives in the midst of all this Avengers-related property damage and war. I thought the Captain America cameos were hilarious. The casting was impeccable.

I don't get the people who said this wasn't a Spider-Man film. Well, OK, I sort of do, in that a lot of the events in this movie are nearly the same as ones we've seen in the first two Iron Man movies. But I think that's the point, that this movie is all about how Peter is not Tony Stark, and isn't an Avenger, and is mostly just some dumb teen trying to make the world suck less, and showing him in the same situations as Stark was puts their different attitudes and focuses into relief. Like, that's the central point of the movie, its grand thesis. But it's still obviously a Spider-Man movie because that's what makes Spider-Man who he is. I mean, mostly. The old Fox series with the guitar riff intro that had him as a college kid was also great, and I definitely wouldn't mind letting a couple years' time pass in a future installment where he's less of a dumb teenager.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:18 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Default IT'LL PROBABLY BE BETTER THAN IRON FIST.

Ah shit Defenders comes out on Friday.

STEEL THY SOUL AND PREPARE THY HEART FOR WAR.

Last edited by BEAT; 08-14-2017 at 07:21 AM. Reason: BUT "BETTER THAN IRON FIST" IS NOT EXACTLY A DIFFICULT BAR TO CLEAR.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 AM
whatever it takes

Early reviews have been pretty positive! Apparently even at 8 episodes it still suffers from pacing issues, because some truths are simply universal, but they've been ameliorated to some extent and what is on offer is apparently pretty good. To hear the AV Club tell it, the other Defenders spend a not-insignificant amount of time taking turns owning Danny for being a vacuous piece of shit, so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:08 AM

I think I would have been happier if they just recast Danny and been like "Oh yeah he was ALWAYS Lewis Tan. I mean, I don't think anybody threw a fit when War machine showed up as Don Cheadle instead of Terrance Howard or when the hulk was like "Oh by the way I have stopped being Edward Norton."

But I'm OKAY with a few rousing rounds of "SHUT THE FUCK UP DANNY".
Old 08-14-2017, 08:17 AM
whatever it takes

Default Headcanon Reloaded

The true power of the Iron Fist is that once you achieve mastery, you turn into charming motherfucker Lewis Tan. The Lewis Tan we saw in the series was actually the previous Iron Fist gone rogue

"You seriously thought it was about being able to punch pretty hard like once a day? Were you paying attention during any of the classes at Magical Kung Fu City Vocational Tech?"
Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 AM

It's like how El Mariachi became SO ANGRY between the events of El Mariachi and Desperado that he transformed into Antonio Banderas as an outwards reflection of that anger.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:54 AM

Alternately, anybody who is SUPER GOOD at Kung fu in the Marvel Universe will eventually look like Lewis Tan, much like how anybody who's a scary motherfucker in a Rodriguez movie will eventually look like Danny Trejo.

(There are at least 3 Danny Trejos in the Rodgiguez movies, all of whom play the part of "Danny Trejo being a scary motherfucker" who all exist completely independent of one another.)

(Ironically this does NOT apply to the Danny Trejo in Spy Kids, and the Danny Trejo in Machette. Those are canonically the same guy.)

(Danny Trejo is the best ever)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:18 AM
THAT'S TOMMORROW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I think I would have been happier if they just recast Danny and been like "Oh yeah he was ALWAYS Lewis Tan. I mean, I don't think anybody threw a fit when War machine showed up as Don Cheadle instead of Terrance Howard or when the hulk was like "Oh by the way I have stopped being Edward Norton."

But I'm OKAY with a few rousing rounds of "SHUT THE FUCK UP DANNY".
Maybe they are worried Fox will come at them "SUDDENLY BEING INEXPLICABLY TURNED INTO AN ASIAN HAND ASSASSIN IS PSYLOCKE'S THING GIVE IT BACK IT BELONGS TO X-FRANCHISE"

Which will then make them have to have whoever Sigourney Weaver is playing turn out to be an evil Ripley-clone from alien ressurection sent back in time to introduce xenomorph skynet I will stop now.......

Last edited by Gunther, an Otter; 08-14-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Specifying clone, so not as to impugn the flawless honour of Ellen T. Ripley, who followed all the safety procedures.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:50 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
The true power of the Iron Fist is that once you achieve mastery, you turn into charming motherfucker Lewis Tan. The Lewis Tan we saw in the series was actually the previous Iron Fist gone rogue

"You seriously thought it was about being able to punch pretty hard like once a day? Were you paying attention during any of the classes at Magical Kung Fu City Vocational Tech?"
There is precedent in the comics for multiple living Iron Fists...
Old 08-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther, an Otter View Post
Which will then make them have to have whoever Sigourney Weaver is playing turn out to be an evil Ripley-clone from alien ressurection sent back in time to introduce xenomorph skynet I will stop now.......
Oh! You've been reading my fan fiction!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Out Of Warranty

Ms. Brain really liked "Jessica Jones" and is looking forward to "Defenders"... But she hasn't really liked a superhero movie or TV series in the last 10 years besides JJ and the first season of the Flash. I've tried to temper her expectations, but...

I think I know how Cassandra felt. Prove me wrong, Netflix!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:31 PM
noble beast

JJ is the only Marvel TV show I've watched+liked. Daredevil S1 was bad and everything else has a poor rep. I'm caught up on The Goddamn Strain; that's enough bad TV for this year.

I expect to enjoy this, though. It's good that it makes fun of Iron Fist. I haven't seen the show, but, generally, all comic book heroes should be mocked.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
she hasn't really liked a superhero movie or TV series in the last 10 years
Not even Green Lantern?!
Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Daredevil S1 was bad
Skrull detected
Old 08-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Not even Green Lantern?!

I know! I'm sure any judge would consider it grounds for divorce.

(She didn't like WW either - she was good with it until the end, when it became, I quote, "a superhero movie")
Old 08-15-2017, 07:43 AM
I. Love. It.

Yeah I can't fathom calling Daredevil S1 bad (S2 though... eh). Maybe it doesn't hold up as well, but anything with that Fisk performance has to be at least alright.

Meanwhile, speaking of Defenders, David Tennant was spotted on the set of JJ S2. I'm not taking this as a sign that Kilgrave is alive somehow (they probably wouldn't reveal that via photo-leak if it were true), but it's probably either a flashback or someone's playing mind-games with Jessica.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 AM
whatever it takes

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I hope he's used smartly and sparingly.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo