The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Got to play for the first time in forever. The party is a eternally-mediating Tiefling Bard (me), a Half-Orc Warlock with a fey patron, and a Khenra (Amonkhet MtG supplement) Barbarian.

The session started in a goblin camp in a jungle, with the Warlock and I so busy consulting a map that we did not notice goblins just dropped a cage on us. To quote the Warlock: "Wait. Are we in a cage?" Queue the local Barbarian stumbling upon the scene, who the goblins immediately attempt to put in the cage by... walking up to him, and tugging on his shirt. Well, scalemail, but you get the idea. The Barbarian gets us out by... opening the apparently completely unlocked cage. Then we get into a fight with the three goblins and their grimlock. Well, I say "we" but it was mostly the Barbarian charging in with the Warlock providing fire support. The last goblin nearly killed the Warlock, which made my 2-fucking-0 Charisma come in handy! I'm pretty good at healing dudes, turns out - even if my roll is shit.

The Barbarian eats some mushrooms from the goblin's tent without thinking and starts tripping balls without the rest of the party's knowledge. He takes point - sort of. More like he's Naked Snaking it through the jungle and I and the Warlock start following him because... well, Scarborough, our donkey, ate our map. As night falls, we run into a beholder! Except it's not a beholder, it's a bigass beholder-shaped mushroom. The Barbarian - still tripping balls, mind - grabs a chunk of it, which proceeds to explode into spores, nearly killing him (yay cure wounds!) and giving him an 8-hour time limit before he dies, full stop.

We eventually found a group of volunteer farmers outside the main city in the region. We were immediately mistaken for volunteers, and shit got handled serious-like when the Barbarian explained that he had a run-in with a Gasbag (I understand it's a scaled down version of a CR2 Deathcap Mushroom). Queue the Warlock loudly exclaiming "YES, I TOO, A DUMBASS, GOT INJURED BY A GASBAG, BECAUSE I AM VERY DUMB," his flawless gambit to get a horse to get to town faster. I just kind of went along with it, scoring a free antidote if trouble comes up later via a Performance check to act like I was taking the antidote and then stowing it.

Then the sweaty, angry, tired Warlock spilled the beans and we were sent to go pay the apothecary that makes the antidotes, because the antidotes are provided to the farmers for free in exchange for the apothecary getting a "get out of tax free" card for foodstuffs.

Here, we split our separate ways, with the Barbarian working two days of farm work in four hours to repay the farmers for their kindness. The Warlock peaced out to a tavern where he accidentally hired a prostitute as part of his room and board; quoth the Warlock "Oh. Are we, like, doing this? I love this town."

Meanwhile, I got to have the Tiefling Racism Mystery Tour, stopping off to pay the apothecary. I explained the misunderstanding that happened and offered to pay for the antidotes we received (yes I stole an antidote that I later attempted to pay for), and got told to get out. Being Used To This Shit, I chalked it up as two free antidotes. Sweet. Then I started canvassing the city for the most likely place the Warlock would be at, and got it in one guess (we rolled for it, too). When I asked around for him, I explained that yes, he's my friend, and got us both kicked out of the inn. I had to go, uh, interrupt him - quoth me: "No, we really have to go. It happened again." He went in kicked up a fuss at the bar while I gathered our belongings and chatted with the prostitute who was literally the nicest person in the entire city to me.

Then a guard helpfully pointed us to the undercity, where our kind is more kindly looked upon. When he refused to get too close to the undercity entrance, I asked him what we were walking into. When he explained that the lower levels of the undercity is primarily populated by devils, my eyes lit up. My drunken dart throwing back in the last town pointed the Warlock and I in the exact right direction - I'm looking for the mother I never met, after all.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:56 PM
:O

Furrocity made her re-appearance, my Planescape character who is my stand-in when my regular dies. My general goal with her is to make the DM never, ever kill my regular. As such, to continue her Bardic Japanese Idol persona, and to make sure the most obnoxious person at the table is the bard, I selected 6 seconds from a song to mic spam any time I cast one of her spells. To not spoil the surprise for the people in the party, I post here only the 4 spells I got the chance to cast this week.

Spell: Healing Word (C)
https://www.google.com/search?q=ganbatte
The healing word is, good luck!

Spell: Calm Emotions (C)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJWGT7BFQjI
Psycho-pass, a show about reading emotions

Spell: Disguise Self (C)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p935gFtBsE&t=0m7s
Utena transformation sequence

Spell: Elemental Weapon (C)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbTeTTWM78&t=1m4s
Madoka, where everyone can summon a magic weapon
Old 08-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Furrocity is my waifu.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:28 AM
is Earnest

After a good long break, I'm back in the DM seat in our home game. The party was invited to a play and went shopping for fine clothes. They met some important people from town and shared a box with a wealthy dowager (basically a Marx Bros. character) and her son Rutager (basically Dougie from Twin Peaks). I didn't go into too much detail for the play, but I got in a bit of backstory and described a scene where the old hero of the kingdom confronted the Rakshasa. But, right before she killed it, assassins attacked the party. They were able to knock out the dowager and her son, but the party killed the assassins. I was going to plant a convenient note on them as a hook, but then the cleric used speak to the dead on two of them and I was able to share info that way.

The assassins were sent by our Druid's nemesis, a Drow who has taken over her hometown. She created a pretty detailed backstory about her dad and her boyfriend back home and a tyrant, but it's all filtered through her character's ditsy personality so the rest of the party has been unsure about how much of it has been true. So they're still planning out what to do, but they might sneak into the town or gather allies to take it on directly. And, they decided to take my Sorcerer along since he was at the play. I'm not going to have him make any decisions for them, but he can help out in combat and they can have access to his utility spells. Anyway, there has been almost a year of buildup for this, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything goes down.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
How many dragons is too many?
There can never be too many dragons!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON FRIEND View Post
I like you.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Good first impression.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:01 PM
TARANTUL

Friend of Dragons or Friend who is a Dragon?

Eithet way, welcome!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:05 AM

It can be both! Sorry to derail the thread, I just couldn't resist.

I haven't had much experience with DnD besides a few games with a starter kit I got on a birthday, but getting people to play it and organize everything took too much work. I went and bought a Monster Manual later and spent more time leafing through that than playing the game.

Back then I tried making my own characters from Sculpey Clay but they would turn out too big or undetailed. I guess nowadays I could actually design something to be 3D printed so that's pretty crazy.

Thanks for the welcomes, btw!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I like it!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 AM
aol keyword: mike

I've been playing in my first campaign ever since last October and our group of players has expanded from five to seven since then. We've only had one PC swap characters so we worked it into our massive story. Finally, after months of getting distracted with mindflayers, dragons, taking over a district in a major city, and becoming a paranormal investigation firm we came across our former party member Mortimer.

We were chasing an undead horde through a desert to some pyramids and stumbled across him (deader than dead) being possessed by a high level necromancer. After four hours of combat we managed to take that turd down and give Mort a proper burial. My character's backstory was based around my time with Mort (I'm a druid employed by Mort to help him learn to read) so it was a pretty emotional moment.

But we all hit level nine and immediately got distracted by new spells and going to kill a dragon again.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefail View Post
going to kill a dragon again.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:06 AM
You blockhead

Stop making the dragon sad, you guys!

Do you know how long I've waited to have a Dragon as a Friend!?!? Don't ruin this for me!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:26 AM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
Stop making the dragon sad, you guys!

Do you know how long I've waited to have a Dragon as a Friend!?!? Don't ruin this for me!
to be fair

didn't that not work out so well for calandra
Old 09-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I mean, I think a lot of things didn't work out well for Calandra, with being burned at the stake foremost among them. But being on a dragon immediately beforehand didn't help, no.

Welcome, Dragon Friend!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 AM
You blockhead

Calandra wasn't good at making friends, dragon or otherwise!
Old 09-06-2017, 02:45 PM

If it helps we only kill evil dragons who harm to others? My friends in our adventuring party all worship good dragons like Bahamut and seek to uphold any aspects of good.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Yeah, are you friend to only good dragons, or all dragons?

This is important.

I don't know how to break this to you, but some dragons...

>_>

<_<

...are real jerks.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Buddy, can I call you Buddy? Buddy! We saved a town from an evil adult white dragon who was freezing people and stealing their livestock! Previously we defeated a jerk of a jerky black dragon who killed one of our party member's familiars... a dragon whelping.

If we find nice dragons we'll be pals with them. Our hope is to befriend a good dragon and call upon them in battle to join us.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 AM
You blockhead

We have a couple new faces in this thread so I think we need to help establish the rules.

Rule #1: If Eddie starts talking about Batman, don't listen to him.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Rule #2: Bards receive a circumstance penalty to Intimidate checks.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Rule #2: Bards receive a circumstance penalty to Intimidate checks.
While I know it's a joke, I played under a GM in college who gave everyone a circumstance penalty to Intimidate checks because it didn't make sense that these characters with ranks in Intimidate and high Charisma were better at Intimidate than the Fighter with Charisma 8 and no ranks in anything other than Climb, Swim, etc.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pathfinder at least offers a feat or ACF or something that lets you use Str for your Intimidate check.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:46 PM

5E just has a variant rule that lets you use whatever stat you want with a skill as the DM.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:08 PM
TARANTUL

Eh, intimidate is a pretty dumb skill. If you're using it as a skill, as something you're good at, you've trained in or have a natural aptitude for where you know how to get to people. How to get under their skin, past their mental defenses, really shake them up? It's absolutely charisma, knowing people and how to influence them.

If you're just doing something threatening and they're reacting it shouldn't even use the skill roll, it should just be a "NPC responds based on what the DM says" thing.

If I walk into a room and disintegrate your friend then tell you you're next if you don't answer my questions, I don't think I should be making an intimidate (Int) [how flashy my disintegrate was] check (unless I'm a sorcerer, then it's charisma again). The DM should just have the NPC do whatever they would do.

If I'm telling them how I'm going to disintegrate them, how painful it is, how after I scatter the dust no one on the plane will be able to bring them back, without anything else it should be a charisma based check.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Eh, intimidate is a pretty dumb skill. If you're using it as a skill, as something you're good at, you've trained in or have a natural aptitude for where you know how to get to people. How to get under their skin, past their mental defenses, really shake them up? It's absolutely charisma, knowing people and how to influence them.

If you're just doing something threatening and they're reacting it shouldn't even use the skill roll, it should just be a "NPC responds based on what the DM says" thing.

If I walk into a room and disintegrate your friend then tell you you're next if you don't answer my questions, I don't think I should be making an intimidate (Int) [how flashy my disintegrate was] check (unless I'm a sorcerer, then it's charisma again). The DM should just have the NPC do whatever they would do.

If I'm telling them how I'm going to disintegrate them, how painful it is, how after I scatter the dust no one on the plane will be able to bring them back, without anything else it should be a charisma based check.
It kind of makes sense in that sense as like a "I'm not good at this social skill thing irl, thats why I have a skill" sense. Like, it's always kind of annoyed me when DMs expect a huge speech before you make a Persuasion check. I'm not supernaturally persuasive: but my level 17 bard IS.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 PM
TARANTUL

I mean, I get and enjoy having social skills as a shorthand, but with intimate when you care that you're "a big strong person breaking a thing" I don't see the need for it. As a social shorthand it's absolutely a charisma based check.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

My issue with intimidate is that players think they're Batman (and think Batman is cool lol) and try and intimidate every goddamn NPC and get pissy when their successful check doesn't act as some magic key to get the guard/captain/king to do the thing they want to do. Because scaring people seems easier than sweet-talking them. At least with persuasion you can ask them some details about what their angle is for getting what they want.

- Eddie
Old 09-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

"So I say to the captain, 'If I don't have your full cooperation, then you're my enemy. And the solution to that is to kill you and every other motherfucker in this room.'"

"Okay, roll Intimidate."

"That wasn't intimidation. That's a promise."
Old 09-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
My issue with intimidate is that players think they're Batman (and think Batman is cool lol) and try and intimidate every goddamn NPC and get pissy when their successful check doesn't act as some magic key to get the guard/captain/king to do the thing they want to do. Because scaring people seems easier than sweet-talking them. At least with persuasion you can ask them some details about what their angle is for getting what they want.
This isn't just a problem with intimidate. I've had players who do the same thing with Deception or Persuasion. "Oh I will use the social skill I'm specialized in to make the NPCs do exactly what I want." Only real way around it is to require that they tie the skill use to a fact about the NPC - Bond/Ideal/etc in 5e terms - so they've got to learn about this person before trying to social-fu past them.

Tags
concentration , dungeons and dragons , edition wars , gith racism , penalty for being bard , tasha's hideous slaughter