The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Crabjörn

They really didn't manage the dating well, did they? Pretty much every dating Social Link can be boiled down to the same thing: a toggle near the end of an otherwise interesting scene for "oh right we are dating watch me blush".

I still rather like the Social Links on the whole, perhaps because I have low standards.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Brew View Post
It will ruin video games for you.
Good, I was looking for a way to quit playing them anyway
Old 04-27-2010, 07:00 PM
*Hero of Lore - 20XX*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnip View Post
On the other hand, encouraging them to reach their goals causes them to want to ride your baloney pony.
That is the quote of the day right there. I don't laugh much at things I read but that had me giggling mightily. I don't know what's funnier, the quote itself or seeing your avatar while I read it.
It is also true.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
The dating plotlines are basically things out of Saved by the Bell.
GODDAMMIT

Now I want to see Mitsuru awkwardly going, "I'm sooo excited! I'm soo excited! I'm sooo scared!"
Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Crawling Chaos

Saved by the bell is an accurate depiction of my high school career.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Toxic Boots

Oooohh, lookie lookie, new Persona arrange CD called PERSONA MUSIC LIVE BAND. According to the info, it will be:
Quote:
Band arrangements of eleven selected tracks from the series and a new arrangement of "Aria of the Soul" (literally translated as "Poem for Everyone's Souls").
I'm sure those "eleven selected tracks" will encompass the whole series and not just 3 and 4 and maybe the new arrangements from 1 if they feel like it.

What I'm not sure of is if this is just a CD release of performances from those live Persona concerts or if this is a new recording. I'm leaning towards the latter. Though these types of albums are notoriously hit or miss, from bad performances or an overabundance of padding to compensate short track lengths, the renditions in the Persona concert were at least decent enough that a proper studio polishing might make them worthwhile. And as Meguro's involved, I'm confident he will solo enough to carry the album himself. Though I'd probably be happiest if they threw away all the P3 junk and focused solely on P4 instead.

I'm still holding my breath for some kind of Strange Journey arrange album. Imagine how the soundtrack would be if it was all J-popified! "Theme of Law (feat. LOTUS JUICE)"
Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
Oooohh, lookie lookie, new Persona arrange CD called PERSONA MUSIC LIVE BAND.

[...]

What I'm not sure of is if this is just a CD release of performances from those live Persona concerts or if this is a new recording.
But there's already a PERSONA MUSIC LIVE "Velvet Room at Akasaka" CD/DVD out there, isn't it?

Quote:
Though I'd probably be happiest if they threw away all the P3 junk and focused solely on P4 instead.
The world will never have enough remixes of "The Battle for Everyone's Souls." Never!

Quote:
I'm still holding my breath for some kind of Strange Journey arrange album. Imagine how the soundtrack would be if it was all J-popified! "Theme of Law (feat. LOTUS JUICE)"
"A Frivolous Nation, Want to Be Close Remix (vocals: Yumi Kawamura)"
Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Crawling Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
DVD yes, CD no. The DVD has a couple redbook tracks on it I think, but they haven't released either "Velvet Room" performance as something I could rip to my MP3 player.
That's strange. A friend of mine imported this and gave me 17 tracks that seemed pretty complete.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
Particularly in the first game, before I realized this, I got to the final boss and realized how important Ma-Dyne spells were. Instead of grinding them up (because only Cielo even had a regular -Dyne) I just fought it over and over until things finally worked out.
In the first game, Ma-Dynes aren't needed at all. I finished the game without them.

All you need is a Dyne with Boost and Amp. It's enough to finish the game. Hell, just some good physicals with Me/Diarahan can be enough.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I thought King Abaddon, being an action-RPG, would be shorter, but I've been told it's just as long as any other SMT.
Damnit! I just got that in the mail!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 AM
Plays all the wrong games

Dear Shin Megami Tensei,

Why is it that the protagonist always ends up paralyzed, leaving me helpless in the middle of the Cathedral (which by the way is annoying) because I can't use my automap? Why are all of the best endgame demons Lawful? Why did you make getting competent equipment the most obscure thing ever?

But most of all, why?

In other news, Strange Journey is still pretty good although I sort of regret saving before Gore decides to fix your alignment so I don't have to bother with A-G because now I don't have a whole lot new to see.

Last edited by Asema; 04-28-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: whoops shouldn't have hit the button that quickly
Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Freshwater Minotaur

I'm four hours into DDS1; the only thing keeping me from throwing more time at it is finals week! (That, and Just Cause 2 is easier to pop in and out of.) It's incredibly good so far, and I'm amazed at Atlus's ability to crank out games with elegant graphics and art styles like this. If Persona 5 ends up having the same level of visual style and polygonal fidelity at 720P, I certainly won't complain.

Anything I should know about DDS1 -- or SMT in general -- before I continue? I'm just getting into this series after having watched Giant Bomb's Endurance Run of P4; the whole experience moved me enough to have me sell my half-completed Star Ocean games (which I owned purely for kitsch value), as the result of a decision to focus on RPGs which are actually deserving of my time. I can already see this working out well!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobst View Post
I'm four hours into DDS1; the only thing keeping me from throwing more time at it is finals week! (That, and Just Cause 2 is easier to pop in and out of.) It's incredibly good so far, and I'm amazed at Atlus's ability to crank out games with elegant graphics and art styles like this. If Persona 5 ends up having the same level of visual style and polygonal fidelity at 720P, I certainly won't complain.

Anything I should know about DDS1 -- or SMT in general -- before I continue? I'm just getting into this series after having watched Giant Bomb's Endurance Run of P4; the whole experience moved me enough to have me sell my half-completed Star Ocean games (which I owned purely for kitsch value), as the result of a decision to focus on RPGs which are actually deserving of my time. I can already see this working out well!
The spell naming system. A lot of people are annoyed by it, and it annoys me too sometimes, especially when spell names are switched around (Calm Death/Eternal Rest, and don't get me started on the trainwreck that is Megami Tensei II's spell nomenclature). The core stuff (-kaja spells, elements) are generally pretty consistent throughout the series.

Also, save often. The games provide you with ample opportunity to do so for a reason -- that reason generally involves Hama or Mudo spells (instant death, and this is coupled with how MegaTen tends to treat its main characters!).

In the case of DDS1, I found the game quite easy, all told. I think it's advisable to build Serph as a magician of some sort, rather than a physical attacker (especially because of Heat), and make sure to get characters you don't plan to use Shared/Mutual Karma.

Keep in mind that while many deaths can be frustrating, the games are generally pretty fair -- maybe with the exception of Nocturne -- and your resistances are important! If this is your first time and you want to minimize frusrration from combat, you'll want to look into voiding the instant death spells mentioned above.

DDS1 doesn't have any fusion to deal with, so I'm not going to go into that now, but just keep in mind that advancing and equipping your characters' skills properly can sometimes be more important than actually leveling up! One thing that can get a little grating is the need for you to do a few test runs against a boss in order to get a feel for what skills you'll need. This is mostly endemic to DDS, but a lot of the games have it, and it's a pretty big flaw.

This entire post was pretty much all over the place, wasn't it? Sorry, I'm just tired right now. And I might be a little grouchy at the moment too. If I've said something that turns you off the game, just continue to give it a chance -- I don't mean to make it seem like things are worse than they actually are (though you don't sound to have much of a problem as it is)!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Freshwater Minotaur

Ha, thanks for the advice! Honestly, the time I've spent playing so far has given me the impression that I'm in for some crazy grinding and extended maze-like dungeon sequences. I beat Dragon Quest VII a few years ago, so I'm pretty sure I can handle this; the only thing that worries me is the strategic element. (this is why I decided to start with DDS instead of, say, Nocturne, which I understand can be utterly insane.)
Old 04-28-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Ha, thanks for the advice! Honestly, the time I've spent playing so far has given me the impression that I'm in for some crazy grinding and extended maze-like dungeon sequences. I beat Dragon Quest VII a few years ago, so I'm pretty sure I can handle this; the only thing that worries me is the strategic element. (this is why I decided to start with DDS instead of, say, Nocturne, which I understand can be utterly insane.)
I didn't need to grind, except maybe for a few absolutely evil mantras (and the optional bosses, but, you know), and I didn't find the dungeons too overwhelming except for the last one. You just need to know what abilities to have equipped, and be able to spot which ones you shouldn't (Attack All sounds like a great ability on paper, but it's ridiculously impractical), and be willing to give bosses a once-over before fighting them for real.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Some tips.

You know how Seprh starts with Ice skills? Yeah, ditch that. Each character should probably learn the skills of the element they're weak to, so that they can protect themselves from it.

Anything you miss can be fixed in the New Game+. I reccomend doing a first playthrough however you like, and then ding a 100% NG+.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asema View Post
and don't get me started on the trainwreck that is Megami Tensei II's spell nomenclature).
I don't see what's so confusing about "Mudohama" and "Hama" being two separate elements or "Bufurama" hitting 2 to 3 times while "Agirama" hits the entire enemy party. It's really all quite simple and you're just being willfully ignorant.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Banned

Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 AM
so exciting!

...so you're saying you've seen the error of your ways, regained your sanitary, and settled in to wait for the sweet embrace of death? Ok.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Banned

I'm saying that SMT is your Dulcinea.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 AM
so exciting!

That comparison is poor because I have spent ample time with SMT.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
That comparison is poor because I have spent ample time with SMT.
No it's not. "Dulcinea" was a fantastical construct.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 AM
so exciting!

She was a real person whom he had never spent time with, which allowed him to construct the fantasy. I have actually spent time with SMT. Your comparison is poor.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
She was a real person whom he had never spent time with, which allowed him to construct the fantasy. I have actually spent time with SMT. Your comparison is poor.
Dulcinea was the name of the construct; the actual person had a different name.

In general though, you're taking this way too seriously and making the same rude, overly strident argument to multiple people. You should probably take a break of some sort.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Goodbye!

I actually thought that Turnip was being sarcastic this time around. I like the spell names in SMT, and those just seemed confusing.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Dulcinea was the name of the construct; the actual person had a different name.
Which only makes your comparison even more poor.

Quote:
In general though, you're taking this way too seriously and making the same rude, overly strident argument to multiple people. You should probably take a break of some sort.

The comment I made in this topic about being willfully ignorant was facetious

Edit: What Kcar said. You see, I specifically pointed out spells where there were no real rhyme or reason to the naming scheme.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
"Mudohama"
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 AM
I am being eaten?

Quote:
In general though, you're taking the entire SMT series way too seriously and making the same rude, overly strident argument to multiple people.
It's like a running forum gag by now.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Oh, yeah! There's also three flavors of teleport (Toraest, Toranpa, and Torastarto), two of Shibaboo, and something like six or seven each of fire and lightning spells.

The best part is that you'll only use a handful of the spells available to you in a given playthrough.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Find Your Reason

Well, I suppose the three Tora-* spells have slightly different functions, right? Like WARP and EXIT in FF1, where one brought you to the previous floor and the other pulled you out of the whole dungeon?

I've learned to keep the many levels of elemental magic from bothering me, though. Just for area-effect Fire spells, Persona 1 already has Crimson Sublation, Azure Cessation, Fire Breath, and Maragi-*, with minimum differences between them (all right, so Maragi hits all enemies and the others hit specific areas, but tell me the practical difference between Azure and Crimson?)

Tags
arioch , atlus , behold my demons , bring more macca , cu chulainn , everybody forgets kyouji , go to frozen , goddamn robots , kaneko , let's positive thinking! , mara , matador , megaten , penis waggin , penis waggon , persona , pixie , rpg , shin megami tensei , smt , where the s-links at