The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Ahem!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Ahem!
. . . does Tomm think I'm breathlessly posting every last trickle of information about Eva ironically?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Bald Gendou

I can't read your posts they're all spoilers for movies I haven't seen!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Bald Gendou

Finished the manga (late) last night.

What did you think estragon?

Please discuss without referencing the third rebuild :3
Old 12-20-2014, 10:35 AM
so exciting!

For the manga ending, since apparently we can all talk about it now:
I didn't care for Gendo and Shinji confrontation. That was something that was conspicuously absent in EoE (I don't remember if they interact at all in the movie), but here is just ended up being a generic JRPG villain monologue.

I appreciated how it was much less horrible to Asuka, but then she was handled better in the manga, period, so that's not a surprise.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Bald Gendou

I really appreciated the Gendou/Shinji confrontation for one reason--Gendou's lines about not loving Shinji, but being jealous of him. I mean this was pretty obvious, but it was nice to hear him say it, and it brought things back to a very psychological angle which is what I appreciate Eva for. The rest of it was pretty stock badguy.

Speaking of psychological (take this with a grain of salt from someone who was obsessed with this for 5 years straight, 10 years ago, but has been out of touch with it a lot since)... I thought the manga did a great job of tying together the series ending with EoE's events. For people like us who were "mad into it" it was pretty self explanatory, but it was nice to see it kind of spelled out in ink for people who maybe didn't connect that both endings were happening concurrently.

All that said, I understand SEELE's goals. I understand Gendou's goals. What I don't understand (and am not sure I ever did) is the difference between the various parties fusing with Adam/Lilith.

For example. if the angels fuse with Adam... Fourth Impact ends the world.
But if the angels fuse with Lilith... Fourth Impact wipes out the human race.

I guess I've never grasped WHY these things occur (other than "because they say so") or why certain combinations are different, and why this combination is desired by THIS group, and this other combination is desired by THIS group. They all seem to end the human race, unless Shinji doesn't want it to. Or unless Gendou is God. Or something.

Does anyone have a grasp on the ins/outs of Fourth Impact's trigger mechanisms that wouldn't mind spelling it out for me?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 AM
World of Darkness Returns

More official short movie stuff. Doesn't seem to directly tie into the final movie directly unless they've taken a 180 stylistically.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
More official short movie stuff. Doesn't seem to directly tie into the final movie directly unless they've taken a 180 stylistically.
These are a series of shorts from an animation festival. I saws some confusion a few weeks ago regarding a Gridman (AKA Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad) short by Studio Trigger. A website that I suppose was using Google Translate ran the news that it was going to be a 32 episode series, streamed on Nicovideo and subtitled in English. The festivals shorts number 32 and are subtitled in English. So I doubt this short ties in directly with the new movies, but I suppose it might be included in the home video release.

All the shorts in this series are amazing by the way, and worth checking out.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 AM

I just meant "official" as in "not an unofficial fan movie". Seemed like the other Evangelion one in this series was kind of setting up / previewing things that could potentially be in the final movie.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:17 AM
Space Prez

CONFIDENTIAL
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Anno posted a really long personal message to the official Eva site. This is not normal. It's usually used for press releases.

In it, he writes about a serious onset of depression again for the entire year of 2013, and he found himself to physically unable to go to his own studio. He describes Miyazaki Hayao offering him the voice acting role in The Wind Rises as if it was something Miyazaki did to keep him connected to animation, somehow, while Anno was drifting away. He also found some connection to animation in the remake of Yamato 2199 and watching some sentai series (<--he refers to both obliquely, but I don't watch sentai so I could only piece together Yamato 2199 from context...if someone knows the sentai series he has a friend working on, it's that one).

He started the series of shorts to help himself and his staff get out of their rut. In 2014, he began to return to anime somewhat.

Now, in 2015, production on Shin Eva is moving forward somewhat, but he has another project first: Since early 2013, Toho has been asking him to direct the new Godzilla. (This will make sense to anyone who saw the kaijuu short before Eva Q.) He eventually accepted, and is working on that first. Then he talks about Godzilla and I care less about that, sorry. Wait for someone else to do a fully translation instead of my summary, if it doesn't already exist. Basically he talks about the limitations of making a movie like this in Japan compared to a global scale (read: Hollywood) budget, and the need to make a movie like this in the current and that he's doing his best within those limitations.

Last edited by estragon; 04-01-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:59 AM

Sometimes I feel like we're never going to get an end to this series. I think the original proposed release for the fourth movie was like, 2012 or something?
Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 PM
Little Waves

The first episode of Eva is set today, June 22, 2015. *wiggles fingers*
Old 06-22-2015, 10:41 PM
who's she

I guess that makes me feel a little better about the relatively slow progress of our real life ecosystem collapse.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:48 PM
whatever it takes

I love Tang, so it seems like things are going to work out great for me.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:57 AM

Slightly less depressing then when the First Space War with the Zentradi was supposed to break out.

Also, looks like IRL Eva if going to happen before 4.0 does. /s
Old 09-28-2015, 01:02 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I bought the Eva remaster blu-rays despite their ridiculous high price. It's also probably 5 years I've bought any tv show or movie in a physical format. I was worried I would regret it, but oh my god are they amazing.

The picture is fantastic and looks clean while retaining grain from the cells like it should, as you've probably seen in screen shots already if you're paying attention. But what I forgot about (and as a result have been really impressed by) was the sound. I've watched this show a bajillion times, and there are tons of little audio moments I'm finally noticing in this remaster. And my TV at the moment is terrible! With a proper sound setup, I get the feeling that it would be even more amazing.

Also, excitingly, it has Japanese language subtitles. That might not seem like a big deal, but for some reason Japanese language subtitles are really rare. (It must suck to be hearing impaired in Japan, because no one producing media cares about you. For Japanese DVDs/Blu-Rays of Japanese movies, you are more likely to English language subtitles than Japanese ones. Although, more often, there are just no subtitles at all, in any language.) For shows with a lot of technobabble like Eva, it's fun to follow along with the official script while watching.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:19 AM

How much experience do you have with the old fat-case boxset ($200 at Suncoast, early 2000s!) of Evangelion? Trying to decide if I can justify an upgrade from DVD or not.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
How much experience do you have with the old fat-case boxset ($200 at Suncoast, early 2000s!) of Evangelion? Trying to decide if I can justify an upgrade from DVD or not.
As someone who for a long time was frustrated with the picture quality of the DVDs on HD TV sets, I love the picture quality on the Blu Rays.

Also, I bet the set will probably be way way cheaper whenever it comes out in the US. Which could be years from now--does 3.0/Q even have an official US release yet? What's the deal with that?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 PM

Nope, 3.x is still AWOL. I think their original explanation was someone up the chain on Japan didn't think the localization shown in theaters was accurate, but that was a year and 1/2 or more ago now.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:42 AM
Banned

Old 12-30-2015, 07:15 PM

It is December 30, 2015. As we speak shinji is doing the one handed tango over a unconscious rei.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:49 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

End of Eva sucked.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Highway To HFIL

Why do you think it sucked?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
It is December 30, 2015. As we speak shinji is doing the one handed tango over a unconscious Asuka.
fixed
Old 01-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
End of Eva sucked.
Quote:
Because it wasn't actually the end! AHUHUHUHUH

Old 01-02-2016, 08:57 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Because I watched it.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:11 PM
It's all good, man

I liked it. It was pretty rude.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:31 PM
who's she

End of Eva is great. It's crazy, it's gross, it's pretentious, it's depressing. It's the perfect finale for that series.

On the Utena scale of frustrating endings, I give End of Eva %53 and Eva TV an %85.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Rebuild 03: You Can (Not) Redo/Q comes out in a few days. Y'all can look forward to seeing it when it's released in North America sometime in 2015, the same year the series takes place in.
Ooof, SO close!

Tags
evangelion , folding chairs , gainax , get in the fucking robot , hedgehog's dilemma , mind-raping , mindblowing , q horse , where are the blu-rays?