The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 AM
It's all good, man

What Remains of Edith Finch is cleverer than the average walking simulator, and pretty touching.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I really did enjoy 4HoL's battle system, even if the targeting system took some planning around. Just wish the dungeons were better and it didn't half-assedly recycle content to pad its game time.
This doesn't surprise me one bit, given Bravely Default's penchant for the same. (I still really enjoyed that game, but for some reason haven't been really been able to get into 4HoL.)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:16 AM
Cool Bunny

I enjoyed the second half of 4hol despite or even because it recycled dungeons. The interesting part was the bosses, so getting to a dungeon and knowing I'd looted the place already and could dash through was a positive. I think what really made the game work for me was the first boss I fought in the second half (where you can go anywhere in the world and take on several bosses in whatever order). I went to the town with the big tower first because it was closest to where you start. I didn't really optimize my equipment or jobs. The boss wiped me out (it's beelzebub, the one that goes into the air for a few turns, then drops and wipes your party if you don't do enough damage while it's in the air). It's at the top of probably the longest dungeon in the game, and I didn't want to rerun it, which meant dealing with it with what I had to hand, i.e. no appropriate shields, a weapon on one of my attackers that the boss resisted, no useful consumables. So, after a few stubborn attempts that got me wiped, I started playing with the job system. Making my fire bow equipped ranger into a second hero so I could use wrath got me just enough damage to break the boss out of its special if the dice went my way, but after a few attempts failed I needed something more reliable, so I added a scholar to drop the enemy's defence. That had me able to break the special so long as I had enough AP to use those skills at the right time, but my white mage wasn't keeping up with the damage so I was losing other characters' turns and AP to healing. The key wound up being swapping out the white mage for an elementalist and using mysterio to reduce my HP loss enough that I didn't need a white mage. Managing to beat a tough boss I was woefully underprepared for by changing my tactics was very satisfying.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 AM
#deadfish2017

Yes exactly. I love that game because of stuff like that. The first half gives you a bunch of primary jobs to learn the game and such (miss me with your party breakup complaints. It's fine.), and sets up the local issues and such etc. The second half you get weirder jobs, and tough bosses to crack, and you're resolving the big problems of the setting. It's satisfying stuff.

Sure the dungeon design isn't satisfying but from a gameplay/battle perspective 4HoL is top-notch. I think it works waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than BD where I always felt like I was making wrong choices and abilities weren't doing enough to warrant their inclusion. 4HoL just feels tight.

It also has a cast I can stand to see on screen for more than a single second.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Oh yeah, finally got around to beating Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker for the first time, 'cause it was the new Triangulum story, which was pretty decent. I picked the "Endless war with the astrolabe" ending, though I thought I'd actually get to SEE what the Astrolabe was. Welp, time for another playthrough...again and again and again because I love the game (just like with the original DS version)
Coincidentally, I've started playing this a short while ago too. How long is the post-game campaign? I'm assuming it's about half as long, based on the name.

I also thought for sure that it gave you the option to make a female MC with altered dialogue like FES did, but I may have imagined that....
Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Coincidentally, I've started playing this a short while ago too. How long is the post-game campaign? I'm assuming it's about half as long, based on the name.

I also thought for sure that it gave you the option to make a female MC with altered dialogue like FES did, but I may have imagined that....
I dunno how long it would actually be, because I played like a crazy person and clocked over 220 hours maxing everyone out, cracking every skill I could, and fusing every demon I could, in order to make subsequent playthroughs as easy on me as possible (and I was playing on "Apocalypse" difficulty).

You most definitely don't get to play as a different main character, but there IS a new character, but explaining her presence is a spoiler unto itself.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Well I had a rather busy weekend that didn't translate well to console gaming, so I ended up finishing yet another Google Play title on my Droid 2 Turbo...

Shadowgun | Android | 7/10

You're a mercenary in the future, hired to kill a rogue scientist by defeating his mutant army, and bringing back his brain! If you're looking for a decent cover shooter for Android, Shadowgun will do. The aim here was clearly to provide a console-like experience for mobile. From a presentation and functionality perspective, Shadowgun succeeds. This game has high quality graphics and intuitive simple controls. Unfortunately Shadowgun lacks a lot of depth you'd see in actual console cover shooters. For instance there's no blindfire, no melee attack, and no auto-weapon change upon depletion of ammo. There's not even a waypoint indicator. Furthermore there's only a handful of enemies, and content is recycled early and often. Game design is simple, you kill bullet sponge enemies, you flip switches, search for keycards, that sort of stuff. Yet still, the cathartic shooting action is executed in a way that maintains entertainment. Ultimately Shadowgun ends up being serviceable, but not particularly ambitious. If as much work had been put into the gameplay as did the graphics receive, Shadowgun would have been something special.

and...

Shadowgun: The Extra DLC | Android | 6/10

So here's a little DLC for the original Shadowgun. The plot picks up directly where the original Shadowgun ended. There's not much new here. You sometimes have the ability to initiate action commands via a new icon, making your character jump or slide in scripted scenes. You have one new weapon, a laser rifle. There's one or two new enemies, but the majority of the content is recycled from the original game. The biggest change is the difficulty has been amped up a notch, whether that is desirable is another question entirely. As an encore, The Extra DLC is a decent bit of fluff for fans of the original Shadowgun. But this is hardly riveting or vital stuff.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Mystery Contraption

Gradius (NES) is one tough cookie. First I resolved to beat the game under my own steam only, as I would have on the NES.

Then I realized I underestimated the difficulty and decided to set a save point at the start of each level. Then each check point... Then whenever I could afford to take my thumb off the shoot button for half a second. Even then, I was at it for a couple of hours, which is rather a lot to ask of a 7 stage NES Shmupemup.

I was inspired to pick it up based on Parishs review on Retronauts, and it's easy to see why he was so positive about it; it's a really well crafted game, especially compared to virtually every other NES game in existence at the time. Except the GIANT SPACE BRAIN ZONE in level 5, any slowdown was negligible. Which is astounding considering how very very many sprites were on screen at a time, and flicker was minimal as well (stood out a fair bit on the Big Cores, I'll admit, but that Sprite was big enough that some flickering didn't hurt things any).

Also, I was surprised to learn that the game managed to beat Castlevania to the punch by over a decade by having its own Inverted Castle midway through the game.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
it's a really well crafted game, especially compared to virtually every other NES game in existence at the time
You're not wrong, in 1986 Gradius hardly got stiff competition from 1942 or Chubby Cherub. But the following year, Section Z and Zanac released on NES, and I think they are comparable in quality to Gradius. If you haven't played those yet, I think you oughta.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
I enjoyed the second half of 4hol despite or even because it recycled dungeons. The interesting part was the bosses, so getting to a dungeon and knowing I'd looted the place already and could dash through was a positive.
I like a good RPG battle system, but a good battle system is rarely enough on its own to keep me hooked. More than that, I like having cool places to explore, especially when it comes to dungeon dives. The towns delivered but the dungeons didn't.

Really, if the dungeons were less shit I wouldn't have minded having to do them again with a new monster set pasted on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
(4HoL) also has a cast I can stand to see on screen for more than a single second.
Now this is something we can both agree on.

When Bravely Default comes up I may complain about the absurd railroading, or the talking portraits models brand cutscenes, or how the scenic towns have about as much depth as a postcard, or how the job movesets have too much junk in the trunk. But my BIGGEST problem by far was that I found the cast to be annoying.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'd like to say I enjoyed Tails' Adventure, and I certainly tried to, but I can't. Though, granted, I suspect that all my complaints were due to hardware limitations.

It's a Sonic-themed Metroidvania where you play as Tails. There's about a dozen different areas that link together in a Clash At Demonhead-esque world map. Each of the areas is distinct, and even the areas that reuse the same tile set at least have something distinctive about them to tell them apart easily. Otherwise, it's pretty standard for the genre; explore around and find an upgrade, then use that upgrade to explore areas you could reach before. A few of the upgrades are pretty underwhelming (Knuckles Icon and the Item Radar are seemingly useless, and the Teleporter shows up so late in the game it might as well be), but a few are unique and interesting. Also, visually, the Games miles above any other Gamegear game I can think of.

That's all good. The problem is that the game isn't at all fun to play for a couple of significant reasons; first, not counting the passive upgrades like the Chaos Emeralds, you can only carry four items with you into a level. If you reach the end of a stage and realize you needed a Remote Bomb and didn't bring it in with you, you might as well just hop into a pit and restart the game because that's faster than backtracking. But even that's mitigated by checking a FAQ before going into each level.

Worse is that it's rarely clear you need a certain upgrade at all; there's little visual indication that a rock requires a Large Bomb rather than a regular one, or the Hammer, some platforms don't look destructible at all until you accidentally knock one down. Also, the hit detection is absurdly bad; it's a daunting trial to hit stationary walls if you're in an enclosed area, let alone an enemy. And most enemies have teeny-tiny hit boxes, compared to yours. But only Sometimes. Other times, attacking the same general area of the enemy is enough to kill it. I was never sure if a boss was a huge damage sponge or if I just wasn't actually damaging it, because there's no visual indication of damage. And adding to the problem of Tails occupying most of the screen with his hit box, he moves weirdly slow and floaty; except when he's flying at which point he's bouncing all over the friggin place. Which is great when you're trying to navigate more finicky platform into sections.

I really wanted to like the game, and I tried so hard... but man... ooof.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Come, noble knights!

Yeah, Tails Adventure has some neat stuff going on under the hood, but pretty much all of its biggest problems are side effects of it being a Game Gear game.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
I'd like to say I enjoyed Tails' Adventure, and I certainly tried to, but I can't.
Yeah it does start off seeming to have a lot of potential, but 'eh... hey maybe you'll like this better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails%27_Skypatrol

Funny you were playing a Game Gear title last night, so was I! I started playing Sylvan Tale. Sylvan Tale thus far is quite charming and fun, kinda Zelda-ish but not overly so, definitely a quality Game Gear exclusive. Thankfully it has an English translation patch.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Sylvan Tale is really, really cool. I played through it a few years back and it is absolutely worth your time. Not as good as Zelda, of course, but it resides in the upper tier of portable action-RPGs.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Metal Gear Solid 4 was fucking awesome. I'd say this one is probably... the fourth best in the series? Behind MGS3, Peace Walker, and 1, in that order.

The mission briefings were probably too long, but otherwise it was excellent. The gameplay is pretty aces, stealth-wise and gunplay-wise. This game also has boss fights! You hear that Peace Walker and 5? BOSS FIGHTS!

I think the biggest problem with MGS4 is MGS3. If Peace Walker and MGS5 were left to tie in the MGS3 stuff, MGS4 could have cut a lot of the fat, serving solely as a conclusion to follow up on MGS1 and 2.

That said, I was pretty excited to see every cutscene, with only Meryl and Johnny's scene during the climax feeling like it was overstaying its welcome.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Mystery Contraption

Bulletstorm was... okay? Kind of?

My expectations were a bit high since everyone who played it seemed to reach the same conclusion that it was frantic and fun and had love of violence that was almost endearingly goofy and... well... it was fine. Tone kind of zigzagged all over the place, sometimes playing up the jokes, othertimes dwelling on what a horrible person everyone involved in the story was.

Might have helped if I hadn't played Doom again recently as it was a far more enjoyable version of the same game.

Had some nice setpiece sections, I'll grant it that.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:35 AM
Cool Bunny

Cursed Castilla EX (the 3DS port of Maldita Castilla, which I point out because I like that name better) is rock solid and rock hard. I beat it after I think 50 continues and 177 lives according the the in game stats. I got the worst ending. To get a good ending I think you have to find five hidden items (I found none) and beat it in less than four continues. Maybe I could do it. I'm sure if I ran the game again now I'd blitz the early stages and finish after a lot less loss of life than this time, but I doubt I'd come close to getting a better ending. Awesome game, glad I played it, probably not gonna play again anytime soon.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM
It's all good, man

Tacoma is pretty much what you'd expect from the developers of Gone Home making a sci-fi game with more ambitious storytelling.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Man, with a bit more polish, Strider for NES could have been incredible. That the game feels like it's going to fall apart does it no favors.

Ditto that with Commando, although that's not nearly as ambitious, so it just feels a bit perfunctory. Guess that's to be expected from a lot of early NES games.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Cursed Castilla EX (the 3DS port of Maldita Castilla, which I point out because I like that name better) is rock solid and rock hard. I beat it after I think 50 continues and 177 lives according the the in game stats. I got the worst ending. To get a good ending I think you have to find five hidden items (I found none) and beat it in less than four continues. Maybe I could do it. I'm sure if I ran the game again now I'd blitz the early stages and finish after a lot less loss of life than this time, but I doubt I'd come close to getting a better ending. Awesome game, glad I played it, probably not gonna play again anytime soon.

Yeah, I bought it on 3DS when it dropped and it's a great port! I love that it uses the 3D function, and if you look at the arcade cabinet on the lower screen, the buttons and joystick move as you play! SGDQ2015 was the first time I ever saw the game, and it was a free download at the time. It took a WHILE to be able to download it 'cause everyone was rushing the page during this run, hahaha! Glad to finally give the game some money, though.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Cool Bunny

The ex version that's on 3DS and a few other places has some extra stages and maybe some other changes from the free version. I'll watch that video with interest when I get a spare half hour. Locomalito, the developer, has made a few other games that look pretty good. I've played l'Abbaye des Morts, which imitates a ZX Spectrum look (and was ported to that system), and it's similarly difficult and excellent. Curse of Issyos, an 8-bit styled platformer based on Greek mythology, also looks interesting.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 PM

Curse of Issyos is definitely a lot of fun. I played that not terribly long ago.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:31 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Play Curse of Issyos, Yim. Solid game.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Hydorah's a really good game from the same developer, and is what took me from "scrolling shooters are antiquated and not really for me" to "I just beat arcade R-Type." Hydorah features a genius limited-saves system that encourages you to push yourself a little further and get a little better so you can spread your saves further apart, until you can eventually push through and beat the game.

And then, oh yeah, there's a couple even harder levels you need to unlock to get a mostly useless secondary weapon that lets you get the real ending, so now you've got a reason to flex all those skills and fore-knowledge, picking the special weapons you need to cope with particular stages, and using them in easier, earlier stages where they're sub-optimal so you can get them powered-up.

Did I mention that it has a galaxy map of stages, and many stages give you need weapons and options to play with for that Mega Man goodness?

Hydorah's a triumph, and honestly probably better than some of the games it pays homage to.

I really hope we get an EX version of it, even if it means losing the "hall of fame" scene, with various ships from various shooters immortalized in stone as one of the characters from the game shows it to their child, culminating in your own ship at the end.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Gradius (NES) is one tough cookie.
Congrats on beating this tough cookie. It's amazing how it occasionally outperforms its own sequels on the same platform.

One of the beauties of trying to beat a shmup is that you realize the practice you're putting in means you get a lot more mileage out of a game that is ostensibly short and simple. I feel like there's few better feelings in games than clearing a tough shmup or Nintendo-hard platformer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Man, with a bit more polish, Strider for NES could have been incredible. That the game feels like it's going to fall apart does it no favors.

Ditto that with Commando, although that's not nearly as ambitious, so it just feels a bit perfunctory. Guess that's to be expected from a lot of early NES games.
Strider is such a funny thing. I like it but it's gotta be one of Capcom's jankiest games on the NES, especially among ones they designed themselves.

It's hilarious how the computer bosses can be beaten by simply standing in the center of the screen, holding out your sword, and jumping straight up.

I mentioned this (probably in this same thread) recently but I always thought Commando was programmed by Micronics, like 1942 and Ghosts 'n Goblins, but nope. It was the first game on the system to be programmed in-house by Capcom's men.

Both of these games I feel like keep their charm despite the jank, but you have to be the kind of person who already loves NES games to really get enjoyment out of them.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:42 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Just put the wrap on Cold Steel 1 PC, was as good as it was the last time (though it went way faster due to the turbo button that works on everything but prerendered videos...which is basically just the OP/Credits).

Still, even cheating my ass off it still took about 41 hours to nearly 100% it (missed a chest and a character note somewhere) of plot and cutscenes. Probably give NG+ a whirl to see what changes since I didn't on my Vita version playthrough (had to get right to CS II, you see) using a CE table's one-hit kill on everything. They give you all the damage multiplier master quartz right at the end, which prevents you from super-cheesing everything (even without Domination, Laura+Vermillion+STR 50% = damage cap at endgame, but it's still pretty breezy until the end since most of the stat boosts are tied to gear and quartz instead of levels.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:56 AM
Juggalocialismo o muerte

Hydorah is getting an EX version, Lancer.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=893196793
Old 08-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

hells yeah
Old 08-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Strider is such a funny thing. I like it but it's gotta be one of Capcom's jankiest games on the NES, especially among ones they designed themselves.

It's hilarious how the computer bosses can be beaten by simply standing in the center of the screen, holding out your sword, and jumping straight up.

I mentioned this (probably in this same thread) recently but I always thought Commando was programmed by Micronics, like 1942 and Ghosts 'n Goblins, but nope. It was the first game on the system to be programmed in-house by Capcom's men.

Both of these games I feel like keep their charm despite the jank, but you have to be the kind of person who already loves NES games to really get enjoyment out of them.
Yeah, I still think Strider ends up as an above-average game. I like it for what it is, and if the tech had just been a bit more solid, it would be more fondly remembered. I also remember not being able to quite understand the story when I was younger, too, because of the goofy translation; playing through all these years later, it's pretty straightforward.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Half-Ninja

Over the past few days, I beat Mega Mans 1-10 thanks to Legacy Collection 1 and 2.

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , true end , victory cry , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner