The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Video Monster

THAT UFO 50 THING LOOKS FANTASTIC.

I haven't googled anything about it yet - it looks like it actually does take inspiration from some of the Action 52 games, though?? I think that's amazing.
Putting actual talent behind some of the whimsical ideas that Action 52 presented is the sort of craziness that I'm all about.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Here's my concern with UFO 50:

All of those games look fantastic. Even judging by the half-second I've seen of them, I'd gladly pay several dollars for most of them. But no way am I going to pay $50 for the whole package.

I think the project is awesome, but I also think it devalues the individual games.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
So Eliminage is coming to the 3DS.

On... Thursday.

That's quite a quick shift from announcement to release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Yeah, that looks... dull? Like EO with less polish?
This is the second time I've seen this sentiment directed towards a dungeon crawler recently. There are dungeon crawlers other than Etrian Odyssey, and they're often good! Stranger of Sword City was one of my favourite games of last year, and I'm looking forward to Elminage Gothic! (On my PC, though, because I hate portable gaming.)

Here's the thing: EO is really, really polished. Most others developers in this essentially dead genre don't have that kind of money to throw at their games, so asking that of them is holding them to an impossible standard. However, this is still a design space that other people have been innovating in as of late, and I hate to see those good ideas get ignored because there's no pretty drawings of kids in armour. Please give other dungeon crawlers a chance!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
There were a handful of games where I thought the 3D was both cool and useful: Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, Pushmo.
Agreed. I found it really helpful for underwater battles in Monster Hunter 3U, as well.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:43 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
There were a handful of games where I thought the 3D was both cool and useful: Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, Pushmo. 95% of the time I try it for a few minutes, find it distracting and/or useless, and turn it off.
I liked the 3D effect a lot in Link between Worlds and Etrian Odyssey IV. It's purely cosmetic, but the depth helps sell their graphical styles.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I think the project is awesome, but I also think it devalues the individual games.
It absolutely does, but that's kind of part of the fun. I wonder if they'll use some sort of framing device or just have a bland list of ROMs for authenticity's sake.

Have they announced pricing? $50 would surprise me, though I'd probably pay that.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Objection!

This probably actually would deserve it's own thread, but whatever.

During The International, the casters announce that Valve is making a new game. It's DotA Hearthstone, because everyone is making a CTCG.

Reactions have been...
Old 08-09-2017, 09:03 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
And that's why the US version of Animal Crossing came with its own card included in the box.
Same with Pokemon Box...
Old 08-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Just bear with me

I bought a Classic Xbox from ShopGoodwill to use as an emulation station... I just need to soft mod it. That might take longer than anticipated, however, because I just noticed from the pictures that the system didn't include any breakaway cables for the controllers. Good grief. These aren't optional, people! You have to have these things if you want to connect the joypads to the system!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:36 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

well I think I have an idea why they just gave the system to goodwill
Old 08-09-2017, 01:06 PM

That being said, you can buy breakaway cables for super-cheap, thankfully.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Just bear with me

Sarge: If you've got a source for these please let me know. I ordered one from eBay, but it was more than I wanted to pay, and it'll take a while to arrive.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I bought a Classic Xbox from ShopGoodwill to use as an emulation station... I just need to soft mod it. That might take longer than anticipated, however, because I just noticed from the pictures that the system didn't include any breakaway cables for the controllers. Good grief. These aren't optional, people! You have to have these things if you want to connect the joypads to the system!
I was thinking of getting rid of my XBox Original X once I finished a couple games I got recently, but if this is reasonably easy to do then it would like to hear how it goes.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Sarge: If you've got a source for these please let me know. I ordered one from eBay, but it was more than I wanted to pay, and it'll take a while to arrive.
Ah, eBay was what I was looking at, and I just sorted by lowest price. There's a ton of off-brand ones for like $1.15 shipped, you just have to wait for them to come from Malaysia or the Philippines.

If you're going OEM, yeah, they're going to be a bit more expensive.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
I was thinking of getting rid of my XBox Original X once I finished a couple games I got recently, but if this is reasonably easy to do then it would like to hear how it goes.
I've done it before... it's not hard, really. You just need some parts, like an Xbox to USB cable and an older flash drive. Here's a guide.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...Original-XBOX/

You can make your own Xbox to USB cable if you want... the classic Xbox controller pinout is basically a USB cable with a larger end and a couple of pins swapped. However, that complicates things. If you can't solder, just buy it on eBay.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:30 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
I've done it before... it's not hard, really. You just need some parts, like an Xbox to USB cable and an older flash drive. Here's a guide.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...Original-XBOX/

You can make your own Xbox to USB cable if you want... the classic Xbox controller pinout is basically a USB cable with a larger end and a couple of pins swapped. However, that complicates things. If you can't solder, just buy it on eBay.
How come the people who know how to do this stuff can never write in a comprehensible way. Anyway, looks like all I would need is the USB cable so that could be fun to try sometime.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Just bear with me

Good grief, don't I know it. I've done plenty of game hardware hacks in my lifetime, and one constant has been that nobody knows how to write instructions. Apparently they assume everyone already knows how to do this as well as they do, but really, they don't.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

According to TCRF, the Japanese release of Battletoads is significantly easier than the US/EUR one. Plus, the Genesis version is based on the Japanese release. I was not aware of this fact, but it does explain why it was readily beatable by Arino in GCCX.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:18 PM

Yep, I looked into that after I finally beat the US version. I was considering giving that version a go just to see the changes.

EDIT: And I just did! It's definitely easier. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's easy, but for a vet, it's a ton simpler, and you've got a lot more margin for error. Just the five lives and five continues versus 3x3 makes a huge difference. The Turbo Tunnel has definitely been toned down, particularly that last segment. And a lot of enemies take less hits. I think if we'd have gotten that version, it might be remembered more fondly, as opposed to being rather infamous.

Last edited by Sarge; 08-10-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 AM
Just bear with me

I just got the OG Xbox in the mail. It works, which is great, but beyond that, it's incredibly impressive for the time. I wasn't able to play anything without the breakaway cable, but I sat through the attract mode of Dead or Alive 3 and let me tell you, it's breathtaking. A component cable makes this game shine like a ruby in sunlight. The machine is still fairly impressive after all these years and must have been a revelation back in 2001.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 AM

The original Xbox and co-op Halo sessions were a touchstone of my youth! It was a pretty excellent system for its time and I still have modded Xbox that I pull out of the closet from time to time.

I remember that way back when I modded it my first attempt involved following instructions that indicated I should hot-swap the hard drive. I was apprehensive about it but tried it anyway, and then felt dismay when a short surge fried through the drive and the smell of burnt silicon flared up in the room. Fortunately, much simpler means of modding the system were discovered later.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM
King Of Space-Time

So... Anyone have details on Valve's card game, Artifact? That teaser trailer sucked.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

The only think I know about it is that the audible groan from the audience when they unveiled it was hilarious.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 AM
King Of Space-Time

I don't blame them. Valve's good at polishing the wheel, reinventing... not so much these days.

Last edited by Daikaiju; 08-11-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM
King Of Space-Time

In other news, another update for No Man's Sky!

I may need to take another crack at this.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Valve's good at polishing the wheel, reinventing... not so much these days.
And in terms of games, Valve hasn't really had any super interesting new releases for years now. They've mainly just been raking in the dough from their online games and Steam. Portal 2 was over half a decade ago.

Digital card games are like Exhibit A for how a game company that's made a few super popular games people would rather have sequels to can take that hype for new releases and murder it horribly, chop it up into a slurry, and dump it down a gutter.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:27 PM
King Of Space-Time

The 101 video games kids should play before growing up

Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
And in terms of games, Valve hasn't really had any super interesting new releases for years now. They've mainly just been raking in the dough from their online games and Steam. Portal 2 was over half a decade ago.

Digital card games are like Exhibit A for how a game company that's made a few super popular games people would rather have sequels to can take that hype for new releases and murder it horribly, chop it up into a slurry, and dump it down a gutter.
Case in point, Soul Calibur...the most recent entry was indeed a card game (and trailers didn't even show that it was a card game!)
Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 PM
This Guy

Is any of Final Fantasy 15's dlc worth it, or should I just buy the main game and not the season pass?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Little Waves

Episode Gladiolus is no big deal, but Episode Prompto is a markedly more ambitious. Episode Ignis isn't out till December, but it should be even better if it follows the same trajectory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
THAT UFO 50 THING LOOKS FANTASTIC.

I haven't googled anything about it yet - it looks like it actually does take inspiration from some of the Action 52 games, though?? I think that's amazing.
Putting actual talent behind some of the whimsical ideas that Action 52 presented is the sort of craziness that I'm all about.
UFO 50 looks like it's doing its own thing, but there's a project called Action 52 Owns that's set out to do what you've described. STREEMERZ is particularly well-known in the speed run community.

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , snippets , thread shortage