The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-11-2017, 07:43 AM
Dead Horse Rider

Two more 3DS dungeon crawlers that are unique:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/severed-3ds

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...l4aKaPkAGhnNrU
Old 08-11-2017, 08:16 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Also; I'm assuming that there are rights issues or something interfering with the usual alternate names, but "Hotlet" is perhaps the least intuitive alternate name for a hobbit I've ever seen.
Haha, oh yeah. I don't know if they fixed this for 3DS but the labels for the Gnome, Dwarf, and Fairie races were all very obviously scrambled up in the PSP version.

Also, yeah everyone should try Severed. It's one of a kind. It has really unique art and atmosphere, the encounters only ever have to be beaten once, and if you lose it only sends you back to just before the fight. Also fighting is all touch controlled, and kind of punch-out like.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:20 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
I haven't played any of these extensively, but you could check out:

Seven Mages
Deep Paths: Labyrinth of Andokost
The Quest HD
Bard's Tale (includes both the modern action-RPG and the classic trilogy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I think QuestLord should still be on iOS at the moment, is definitely on Android, and QuestLord 2 will be coming out for both. They're on the Orcs and Elves / Grimrock-but-solo side of things, and the characters I've tried don't have immediate access to magic. Still, it's pretty fun, and QuestLord 2 will have twice the resolution, a nicer interface, longer view range, and a minimap - fixing near all my problems with the game.

Thanks, I'm looking into these!

Also, it looks like Elminage Original is on sale for $3 on PSP.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Re-posting for new page, because I definitely want an answer to this before I buy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhuminator View Post
Another 3DS dungeon crawler worth checking out:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-keep-3ds
Huh. That's... a very Grimrock-looking game. Are the puzzles any good? If so, I'm definitely picking it up.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Elminage is a modern series that gives you limited access to mapping (through spells or consumables). The Bard's Tale series is great for challenging mapping, since it gives you no automapping and MP-limited access to a compass and your location -- very useful tools in a game with unmarked spinners/teleports and graphics that do not indicate your facing. If you are more interested in traversing a dungeon than dealing with its inhabitants, you can import a decently-leveled party; otherwise, it can be a slog getting a party off the ground.
I forgot to thank you for this advice. I gave The Bard's Tale a couple of spins during 7th grade Logo class on Apple 2e and I had no idea what I was doing, so revisiting it ~30 years later holds some appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Also, it looks like Elminage Original is on sale for $3 on PSP.
$4.50 for non-PS Plus, but still quite tempting. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 AM
EMOJO JOJO

Quote:
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

It's a sizable step down from the original Picdun, that's for sure. Unchained Blades is also on the 3DS, and it's not bad, but it is pretty dang unpolished, even when it's not being obnoxiously anime.

The Keeps got some good puzzling in it Jbear. Both in terms of navigation and riddling through brain teasers.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 AM

I have Picdun 2, what makes the first game better?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Quote:
Re-posting for new page, because I definitely want an answer to this before I buy:
... meh.

I played a bit of it and found the interface to be a struggle.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I played a bit of it and found the interface to be a struggle.
That's not at all a concern for me. I just care about the puzzles. Grimrock's (& Grimrock 2's) combat was always the worst part of that game, but the puzzles were great and I loved it.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I have Picdun 2, what makes the first game better?
Much more interactive battles; combat was touch-screen based and, honestly, not dissimilar to that of Severed; you had to land timing on precision attacks and locate enemy weak points on your own. In 2, there was none of that, each party member could do one kind of attack only so combat just boiled down to trading blows until one of you died. Also, there was no bad anime fantasy art.

Outside of combat the games were identical, so might as well recommend the one with more enjoyable combat. Though, again, Severed is much the same and much better still.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
That's not at all a concern for me. I just care about the puzzles. Grimrock's (& Grimrock 2's) combat was always the worst part of that game, but the puzzles were great and I loved it.
In that case, the puzzles that I saw were not nearly on Grimrock's level, but I also didn't get very far. It took a couple tries to survive the tutorial rat. You're SUPPOSED to use your torch as a weapon, but I kept putting it in my off-hand.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 08-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Mystery Contraption

Ooookay, thought that, like Wizardry, there was just one big, multilevel dungeon in this game. And, it would seem, I was way off the mark there. Rare to find a dungeon crawler this open ended.

Still wish the game made its mechanics more clear; I just spent 7000 gold on a suit of armor that sounded impressive, but only offered one more defence point than what I currently had, and I still have no idea how Summoners work.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:09 PM

I don't remember the exact details, but one of their spells is like a capture spell you use on an enemy. And then you can summon that monster.
As they get higher spell levels, it doesn't let them catch stronger monsters, it just lets them keep more stocked.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
"Picdun 2: Witch's Curse is a 3D dungeon RPG set in the mysterious dungeon called 'Picdun.' Choose your partner from three female adventurers--the Archer, the Spellcaster and the Whipper"

Uh... OK...
Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 PM
EMOJO JOJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
the Whipper
Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Mystery Contraption

Actually, it looks like the original Picdun isn't on the eShop anymore, just the sequel. It's still redownloadable if you bought it previously, however. So that's something.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM
is Earnest

I dug into Elminage Original a bit over the weekend. First off, I played for a while without the patch, so some race names were swapped around and the translations were difficult to understand. I found the update button on the Vita OS and it's much better, but still not perfect. The game barely tells you what to do and pretty much never tells you how to do it. I wasted a ton of money trying to alchemize a thing, before learning that I needed to actually have an alchemist party member to do it. I alchemized the thing, and I have no idea what it is or what I need to do with it. I couldn't figure out the compass until I stumbled onto it in a menu after playing for a few hours. You have to put something on the compass, then it will point you toward a macguffin once you're close. Except, it points through walls, and you need to hit a hidden switch and walk through a totally dark room to get to the first macguffin in the training dungeon. I did all of that, fought a boss, then somehow walked through a one way door before picking the thing up, so I'm back at the start again. The game does create a map of each square you step on, but to look at it you have to spend Mage spell slots (thank goodness I have a mage). Equipment that you collect all needs to be identified, which costs a ton (I just found out that Bishops can identify stuff for free?!). There are a ton of races and classes, but I have no idea which of them work well together.

This might all sound like complaining, but I'm having a great time. the game just throws you in the deep end of the pool and lets you figure out everything for yourself.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:32 AM
An Animal of Joy

Yeah, the Bishop thing is bit of old Wizardry lore that I think a lot of spinoffs take for granted that people will know about.

I played through it on PSP so I never knew about the update. That's pretty nice. I just ended up avoiding the races that were mixed up because it bugged me so much.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:02 AM
Mystery Contraption

Actually there is an always-on auto map that doesn't cost anything more than a single inventory slot. But, like everything else, it's super obtuse.

If you have an Alchemist in your party, go to the inn and then enter the Alchemy Warehouse, and then you can merge those two items the king gave you into a map. I think it's called an Angelic Vestement or something like that. The King does tell you to do that, but he doesn't elaborate beyond "use alchemy to create a map from these items."

And while identifying items does cost you some dosh, you can also sell the identified item back for the same price the appraisal cost, so you're never out anything. Unless you equip it and it's cursed. That'll cost you.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:46 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Actually there is an always-on auto map that doesn't cost anything more than a single inventory slot. But, like everything else, it's super obtuse.

If you have an Alchemist in your party, go to the inn and then enter the Alchemy Warehouse, and then you can merge those two items the king gave you into a map. I think it's called an Angelic Vestement or something like that. The King does tell you to do that, but he doesn't elaborate beyond "use alchemy to create a map from these items."
That's what that is?! I don't remember the king mentioning a map, but I talked to him pre-patch. I totally could have just missed it though, this game throws a lot at you all at once. After work I'll have to go through my inventory and see if I still have it and if I can equip it. I think I'm going to change up my party somewhat too. Right now I have:

front row: Fat Lizard Dragon Fighter, Brown Bear Beastman Brawler, Knockoff Hobbit Thief
back row: Classic Bearded Dwarf Priest, Old lady Elf Mage, Devil Lady Summoner

Now that I know Thieves can equip whips, I'm going to pick one up and move her to the back row. Maybe Priest to the front? I'm probably going to drop the Summoner and possibly the Fighter and get some more interesting classes. A Bard? A Lord? I dunno, I'm gonna mess around a bit. Does anyone know if the lizard dragon's fire breath works from the back row?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

I'm currently using

Doggo Axeboy, Ms. PUNCHZILLA, Cat; the Lady Knight
Tiny Thief The Wee-crimester, Tina Fey (who I realize I should have made a fairy. Geez) and Magic Devil Lady

Tags
walk before you crawl , y can't metroid map?