The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-01-2017, 02:35 AM
Obsession or passion?

I have a couple of amiibo, but I can't be bothered to remove them from their packaging for something as inconsequential as that. That's why it's annoying when the "Nintendo fan" repeatedly pops up and whines about showing her the amiibo.

Oh and I have an old 2DS and don't have the transmitter, so I couldn't even use them if I wanted to, which makes her even more useless and annoying. There should be an option, "Never bother me about amiibo ever again."
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 AM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
That's why it's annoying when the "Nintendo fan" repeatedly pops up and whines about showing her the amiibo.
I don't think I've talked to her more than once? She hangs out on the map and lets me ignore her.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Yeah, ditto, she shows up again after the demo area but it's entirely optional to talk to her. Also she sadly won't give you anything for Amiibo cards, just comments on how that isn't a figurine.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Smudged

Oh dear, the game seems to be shipping my Mii and my very heterosexual best friend's Mii, rather than my husband.

Aaaaawkard
Old 08-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Smudged

FYI, if you're with this game for the long haul, don't neglect party members. The game expects you to use all of them. The experience curve is generous enough that you don't need to worry too much about levels, but make sure equipment is kept up to snuff at least somewhat.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Am I missing something with the Tank class? Because as of the moment it seems utterly useless.

Also a tip, potentially a cheat depending on your opinion: If you make your main character a Warrior and use Proud Protector, you'll level up your relationships to an insane degree. Activate Proud Protector in any battle with a bunch of slimes, I've increased two relationship levels with one person in a single battle.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 AM
Obsession or passion?

Even Grumpcade made fun of the Nintendo fan. Unlike basically every other NPC, she also keeps changing appearance so you think it's a new character. Miitopia is also the kind of game where you want to explore everywhere and see if characters have anything new to say, so having her appear again and again, taking up a map space with nothing new is disappointing to say the least.

But I guess I can learn to avoid her. It's a pretty minor complaint in an otherwise great game!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 AM
King Of Space-Time

I recast LBD into the Nintendo Fan role.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Am I missing something with the Tank class? Because as of the moment it seems utterly useless.
The Tank is one of the best DPS classes in the game, along with the Mage, Cat, and Elf. Of those classes, the Tank is the most durable and self-sufficient, with high Defense and self-healing. It's excellent for boss fights in particular. The downside is it also has moves which can cause arguments, adding an extra element of chaos to battles. One of the Sprinkles you unlock later on gives you a bit more control over how your characters act and can help mitigate that downside.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Obsession or passion?

How is the Flower class? Are there any class guides for this game yet?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Smudged

Quote:
How is the Flower class?
I haven't used the Flower much yet. It has two tiers of healing compared to the Cleric's three, and in exchange has better offensive spells. One of its final skills can inflict the Anger status on a party member, making them attack twice. Seems like it could be devastating if you put it on your MC, but the AI Flower I tried spent most battles just wasting time.
Quote:
Are there any class guides for this game yet?
There's a skill list here, though it's based on the Japanese version so the names won't match. It also spoils the secret classes, so watch out if you care about that.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
The Tank is one of the best DPS classes in the game, along with the Mage, Cat, and Elf. Of those classes, the Tank is the most durable and self-sufficient, with high Defense and self-healing. It's excellent for boss fights in particular. The downside is it also has moves which can cause arguments, adding an extra element of chaos to battles. One of the Sprinkles you unlock later on gives you a bit more control over how your characters act and can help mitigate that downside.
Mage is indeed the best. Sounds like I've just had terrible luck with the tank, I haven't seen self-healing at all, just shooting the party with Wild Shot and pissing everyone off with Cannonball. Oh well.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Smudged

I'm in the postgame and the battles are showing a lot more teeth. The dungeon where you get the last class curb-stomped me until my party was like level 35. About two thirds into that boss fight my Kind Mii told the boss he didn't need to fight us anymore, so he left. This game is so weird.

There are also random quests which refresh every day so the game technically has infinity content, I guess? They probably should have unlocked those at the beginning, since they add a lot more variety to the game and make it a bit more like Tomodachi Life. It's a shame there's no New Game+, as I'd love to try the game with a new build of classes but I don't want to erase my current party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Mage is indeed the best. Sounds like I've just had terrible luck with the tank, I haven't seen self-healing at all, just shooting the party with Wild Shot and pissing everyone off with Cannonball. Oh well.
It pairs well with Pop Star, who can stop people from arguing. I ended up going with Cat for my damage but the Tank is a decent pinch-hitter when someone gets sick.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Obsession or passion?

I like the Flower class now that I got it just because it's so silly.

Quote:
About two thirds into that boss fight my Kind Mii told the boss he didn't need to fight us anymore, so he left. This game is so weird.
How does that even work? No EXP, no item drop?

Quote:
It pairs well with Pop Star, who can stop people from arguing.
Ooh, I should have thought of that. My Tank is making everybody mad.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Smudged

Quote:
How does that even work? No EXP, no item drop?
It's a Kind quirk. No experience, no item drop.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Obsession or passion?

Damn. I've got two Kind people already. Let's hope they don't get too Kind.

Though I remember you might be able to change the personality somewhere in the menus.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM
EMOJO JOJO

Quote:
Damn. I've got two Kind people already. Let's hope they don't get too Kind.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Obsession or passion?

Not really feeling the Tank. It's not like it does a lot of damage against single enemies (bosses), the multi attacks aren't very powerful either and still take up a lot of MP, when the Tank has a low base for MP, and the constant risk of angering your party members is a hassle either way, because you either avoid those skills or are basically losing relationship points that you could be gaining. Some other kinda iffy classes too but can't say much about the others yet.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I don't know if I missed this in a tutorial since it seems like something I should have noticed earlier, but you can hold down B to run in the maps/fast forward through chats.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Obsession or passion?

I think I learned that way back in the demo, don't even remember anymore. It's a nice feature though, even if I don't use it all the time. Sometimes there's a uneventful battle that's just a slog, or you're retreading old ground to get a missed treasure chest or whatever, and that's when fast forward is great.

Usually the pace of the game is just fine on normal speed. I think this game was very meticulously designed as a handheld game, instead of "an RPG that happens to be on a handheld". Usually the distances between inns are fairly short, which means that it's easy to make some progress even if you only have a few minutes of playtime, like a short bus ride.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I really love the Nimbus battle theme. Reminds me of Flying Battery zone and Chemical Plant.

Edit: I can't get the Youtube tag to work so here's a link.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Smudged

62 hours in and I have crushed the postgame Boss Rush. I was definitely over-leveled for it, as only the final boss made me have to think. My sprinkles are maxed out and my Safe Spot heals like 200 HP and 50 MP. My bulkiest dude has 260 HP, so... that's a lot. My party was Cleric, Cat, Elf, and Vampire, which made for a pretty much indestructible group.

I was not expecting to like the game this much! Forcing you to use AI is annoying, and makes it kind of a bad RPG, but I see what they were going for. The battles in Miitopia take the place of skits from Tomodachi Life. It's a toy box you throw personalities and classes into and watch them bounce off each other. The Safe Spot and Sprinkles add just enough interactivity to keep it fun, at least for me.

The pacing also has serious issues. The game could easily be cut in half without losing anything and the side quests should unlock much sooner. Still, though, I played it for 62 hours. Pretty impressive for a dopey RPG that plays itself.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
the side quests should unlock much sooner.
I just got to this point and have definitely been wondering why this took so long.

Tags
find mii dx , tomodachi rpg