The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Maneaters is a fight that can go ass-up very quickly even if you know what you're doing.
For real. I think it was my second try I had one dead and the other down to about 10% health and he got me with a three-hit-combo I wasn't prepared for because I was so close I'd let my guard down.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I'd like to know how because, while it's a pretty decent fight, I think the Bell Gargoyles is superior.
For me it comes down to the Maneaters having a better design and moveset, and the fact that like most of the bossfights in DeS, it actual utilizes level design as part of the fight. Have to contend with the narrow walkway while juggling the two bosses is just a more interesting challenge to me.

I'm also a weirdo who's always thought the Bell Gargoyles were overrated
Old 08-09-2017, 11:07 PM
An Animal of Joy

I like that they attack in deep darkness, use it to retreat and take turns fighting you. It makes it much harder to kill them one at a time, so they're actively counteracting the default player behavior in a multi-boss fight. The first time I fought them I didn't notice a second HP bar had appeared and it took some moments to realize I was suddenly outnumbered and then I tried not to panic. It was a very memorable fight.

Bell Gargoyles are also good!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

5-2 was worse than anything Blighttown throws at you. Thank goodness Warding and Black Turpentine make Dirty Colossus a minor speedbump.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:59 PM
d.o_o.b

Pinwheel has given me more trouble than the Dirty Colossus.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:10 AM
Chief Servbot

I do like that they put a literal shit golem in the game
Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Beat offline Old Monk. It was... odd.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:15 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Beat offline Old Monk. It was... odd.
My online Old Monk experience was someone who had apparently run to the bathroom or something. He just sat there until he was almost dead, then suddenly took a swing at me just before I landed the final hit.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
5-2 was worse than anything Blighttown throws at you. Thank goodness Warding and Black Turpentine make Dirty Colossus a minor speedbump.
It's pretty easy with a Thief's Ring once you know the route, but the first... six of seven times are hell. I used to make sure I had Greater Ward or Second Chance before attempting 5-2.

Now I do it really early because 5-3 is a really easy archdemon to deal with. Well. You can get one-shot at low VIT. But other than that.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

So I just have 4-3, 5-3 and 1-4 left. Hoping I can finish it today.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:42 PM
is Earnest

You can do it! 1-4 is pretty long, but you have all of the tools you need by this point.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

1-4 is pretty stupid, you mean. Between the long, frustrating road to Allant, and then his bullshit attacks, I'm not sure I can be bothered to finish this fucking game.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 PM
is Earnest

He can steal your levels! That blew my mind when I first played.

He's a fun fight though, and the game has a gorgeous ending.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 PM
Shields must fall

The answer to 1-4 is poison arrows. They kill the dragon, and if you are real careful upon entering the False King's room you can snipe him with them and kill him without a fight too.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Yeah, sat there for a half hour killing the Blue Dragon to ease my way through. Don't know how I would have beaten False Allant without Warding.

Anyways, overall it's decent, but it's no Dark Souls. I really have a hard time seeing how anyone could prefer Demon's over Dark. It was good though. I don't know that I could beat it without magic though.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
Don't know how I would have beaten False Allant without Warding.
You could do it, I did. You just have to become incredibly good at reading his tells. And be OK with losing soul levels permanently.
Quote:
I really have a hard time seeing how anyone could prefer Demon's over Dark. It was good though. I don't know that I could beat it without magic though.
Not to dismiss your accomplishment, because I'm not trying to be an elitist ass (promise), but playing Demon's Souls without magic is like playing a totally different game. I beat this game without using magic, and on top of that, I wore lots of heavy armor so I fat-rolled too. These things made Demon's Souls incredibly harder yes, but also far more rewarding IMO. I hope someday you go back and beat Demon's Souls sans magic. You may feel differently about the experience afterwards.

Last edited by Exhuminator; 08-16-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 PM
is Earnest

Demon's Souls has the best music and voice acting in the series. There are few areas that have stuck in my mind as strongly as the Tower of Latria and the Shrine of Storms. Something about the atmosphere and mood in Demon's are special in a way that the later games never recaptured.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM
d.o_o.b

I tend to find the moment to moment level design quite a bit tighter in Demon's Souls; probably because they can count on the player to approach from a particular route. Dark Souls also tries to create a feeling of vastness, which is cool, but takes away from the dungeon crawl feel of Demon's. And the boss encounters seem more concerned with presenting interesting gimmicks, whereas Dark seems to be going more for a variety of challenge.

There's also the way Demon's gives you a straightforward framing narrative and uses the more esoteric bits to provide flavor, whereas I lost the plot about thirty minutes into my first Dark Souls playthrough. It also feels like a horror game in a way that Dark Souls typically doesn't, which is much more my shit.

Dark Souls definitely plays a lot better, though. Hoo boy.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:34 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Demon's and Dark are unique in that the beginnings of each playthrough can be vastly different, depending on how you want to build your character. (Of course there are the mandatory tutorial areas with Boletaria-1 and Northern Undead Asylum... but after that you're pretty free.

Bloodborne and DS3, as much as I love them, do lack that free-form beginning. Though both of these games are incredible, so maybe it's not a huge step back or anything. But it does change how inviting they are to return to in comparison to DeS and Dark1. I love starting new characters in both these games, but my enjoyment of DS3 is more about how much I'll have enjoyed myself by the end of the journey rather than from the prospect of playing the Cemetery of Ash, High Wall, and Settlement in order for the nth time.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 AM
Chief Servbot

The game still has the best level design in the series, the best lore, the best music, I like the gimmick bosses and to me the playfeel is just much better than Dark Souls. Also playing the series before the rough edges were sanded off, for both good and bad, appeals to me (I like the same thing about Mega Man 1).

They're all good games, though.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
Demon's and Dark are unique in that the beginnings of each playthrough can be vastly different, depending on how you want to build your character. (Of course there are the mandatory tutorial areas with Boletaria-1 and Northern Undead Asylum... but after that you're pretty free.

Bloodborne and DS3, as much as I love them, do lack that free-form beginning. Though both of these games are incredible, so maybe it's not a huge step back or anything. But it does change how inviting they are to return to in comparison to DeS and Dark1. I love starting new characters in both these games, but my enjoyment of DS3 is more about how much I'll have enjoyed myself by the end of the journey rather than from the prospect of playing the Cemetery of Ash, High Wall, and Settlement in order for the nth time.
I think the original DS2 might be the most free form start of the series, since there are five branching paths to start with and you can get to two of the DLC areas really early on (in SOTFS you have to find the keys), and you can even skip the tutorial. Bloodborne and DS3 are outliers for being linear.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhuminator View Post
You could do it, I did. You just have to become incredibly good at reading his tells. And be OK with losing soul levels permanently.
My main problem, and why I needed Warding, was because otherwise his AOE attack one-shotted me and it is so huge I just could not get away from it reliably.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Prancing in the rain

Location: Maryland, right next to that capital of the U.S. thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I think the original DS2 might be the most free form start of the series, since there are five branching paths to start with and you can get to two of the DLC areas really early on (in SOTFS you have to find the keys), and you can even skip the tutorial. Bloodborne and DS3 are outliers for being linear.
At the start of DS2 there are actually only 2 open paths.

The pit requires either a ring or more health and health items than you can start with, the path next the to tower of flame requires that you complete the tower of flame before you can open it, and the path to the fog forest requires that you either complete the lost Bastille or get to the black gulch (or turn around after Heide's and grab a branch from earthen peak.).
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM
is Earnest

Sure, but those requirements are all nominal. You can get to a bunch of different paths within a half hour of starting the game. This is compared to Bloodborne and DS3 which are pretty much linear aside from a handful of branches.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:39 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Dark Souls definitely plays a lot better, though. Hoo boy.
Yeah this here is the key one for me

Tags
from software , hipster souls