The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
A break for who? You? Nobody is holding a gun to your head, skip a game if you feel burnt out on them.
It's more complex than that, but :shrug: I'm not interested in explaining it right now.

And of course I meant for myself.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Banned

Has it been announced for PC?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
Has it been announced for PC?
Yep.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:17 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
It's more complex than that, but :shrug: I'm not interested in explaining it right now.

And of course I meant for myself.
Oh man, somebody totally has a gun to your head...

Okay, we can get through this. Just tell me who it is, blink once for Alixsar, twice for madhair, and so on in that fashion.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:18 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

If I had to guess he means he'd like to see From Software wait a while and have a pile of new ideas saved up, rather than potentially end up forcing new ideas for this game. It could result in a better game in the long run. Additionally, what made Souls so great is how fresh and unconventional it was. Right now, it's starting to suffer from Mega Man syndrome. Demon's Souls was the flawed game that started it all, Dark Souls the labor of love that shines through a less than great budget, and Bloodborne the labor of love with a budget that brought fresh ideas and a pile of polish to the beloved series. Dark Souls 2 was still an excellent game, but it was just following the Souls formula, standing in for a time-displaced Mega Man 4 in this metaphor.

Now we just have to see if Dark Souls 3 is Mega Man 5 or Mega Man V.

This one will be excellent, though, and Diplo will love every second of it, anyway. Right, Diplo? Right? *manually cocks hammer*

Last edited by LancerECNM; 06-18-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:06 AM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

I understand where Diplo is coming from. Souls/Bloodborne is potentially my favorite series in gaming right now, and I still wouldn't mind more of a gap between the games. I'm going to play them all, when they come out, because I love them and I want to be a part of that experience and the awesome discussions they generate. At the same time, I'm absolutely starting to burn out a little. I still haven't finished all the Scholar of the First Sin DLC.

As much as I loved Bloodborne, a lot of that was because it tried new new things; its focus on horror, its faster-paced combat, and even its relative lack of character customization all helped to make it feel fresh and different. A new Dark Souls game isn't as likely to have that. What's more, going back to Souls after Bloodborne feels a little clunky; it would be great to have some assurance that they were taking the time to incorporate some of Bloodborne back into Souls.

So don't get me wrong -- I'm excited for Dark Souls 3. Really excited. I'm going to buy it on launch day and I'll probably love every minute of it. But I also wouldn't mind a break.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Demon's Souls was the flawed game that started it all, Dark Souls the labor of love that shines through a less than great budget, and Bloodborne the labor of love with a budget that brought fresh ideas and a pile of polish to the beloved series. Dark Souls 2 was still an excellent game, but it was just following the Souls formula, standing in for a time-displaced Mega Man 4 in this metaphor.

Now we just have to see if Dark Souls 3 is Mega Man 5 or Mega Man V.
Holy shit I've been thinking of this exact metaphor (except in mine Bloodborne is Mega Man X).
Old 06-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
If I had to guess he means he'd like to see From Software wait a while and have a pile of new ideas saved up, rather than potentially end up forcing new ideas for this game. It could result in a better game in the long run.
That's part of it, yeah. It's also something more personal. The impending release of another Souls game within less than a year's time is something to anticipate, and with that anticipation, for me, comes a sort of anxiety: the sense that this is happening too soon, combined with the desire to be a part of DS3's playerbase when it comes out. There's a pleasure in experiencing these games alongside other people as a sort of communal event and then breaking off from that to develop your own more intimate relationship with a given title. But I'm still combing through Bloodborne, and probably will be for a long while now. What makes this hard to explain is that it sounds like I can't entertain the idea of experiencing one game until I feel satisfied with my experience of another comparably modeled one (especially when, by that point, Bloodborne will be about a year old), and yeah, I don't have a comprehensible justification for that. It's just how I feel! I like there to be large gaps of time in between the release of similar creative works so that my subjective understanding of one thing can ferment, and I've never been the sort of person to devour large chunks of media one after another.

But it's entirely possible that by the time Dark Souls 3 comes out, I'll be ready for it. So who knows. I also get the sense that a lot of people are more ready for DS3 than they otherwise might've been because Bloodborne didn't offer the same depth to its fictional history as Dark Souls did, or the same range of self-expression through equipment choice or faction-based interactions. For the record, I'm totally fine with how Bloodborne handled those things ("lore" or "builds" have never been primary interests for me), even if I wish the online elements weren't so predictable, but it does sort of feel like I'm lingering with a game that other people have dropped because it doesn't have the quantifiable density of content they were expecting.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:20 PM

I have the same worries as Diplo. If it was up to me then they would spread the sequels out more just out of principle. The games would be better for it and the player experience would be less repetitive by having bigger leaps between each one.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:57 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I get what you're all saying, but last year I played Dark Souls II twice, and rebought/finished my save from 2011 in Demon's Souls. I also started a third DSII game but haven't finished it and a Dark Souls game which I got about 75% of the way through. Then I bought a PS4 solely to play Bloodborne, which I have two save files in but haven't finished either (playing some other games right now but gonna go back to it before the end of summer). I've also considered getting Scholar of the First Sin, but haven't done so yet.

All of them have been great experiences. The closest thing I've gotten to burn out was in Bloodborne because I want to get through the Chalice Dungeons at least to the point where you fight Yharnam, but they're kinda dumpy and weird and I don't like them as much as I like the game proper. That's for another thread, though.

My point is, even if Dark Souls III is another Dark Souls II (in other words, a great game but not a mind-blowing-once-in-a-generation-game like it's predecessor), then that's totally fine. Miyazaki said that DSIII is the "end" of the Dark Souls story, so they'll likely keep making games that are similar to it but they'll have to do something different. I think the fact that this is the "end" of the "trilogy" means they'll try new and interesting things with the setting/lore/story, and it should end up being pretty good, I think.

Also, shields are for babies, git gud you noobs
Old 06-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Oh yeah? Beat Dark Souls dual-wielding shields.

as a more serious reason i prefer shields - blocking attacks instead of dodging them allows me to get better at the game while still preserving the feeling of tension and powerlessness that made me like the game in the first place

i'd rather be a beaten and battered knight than a totes badass ninja in this setting
Old 06-18-2015, 01:09 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

DO YOU WANT SOME MILK YOU BABY

(milk is what babies eat)
Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
DO YOU WANT SOME MILK YOU BABY

(milk is what babies eat)
I FUCKING LOVE MILK

so yes

yes, i would like some milk
Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
I get what you're all saying, but last year I played Dark Souls II twice, and rebought/finished my save from 2011 in Demon's Souls. I also started a third DSII game but haven't finished it and a Dark Souls game which I got about 75% of the way through. Then I bought a PS4 solely to play Bloodborne, which I have two save files in but haven't finished either (playing some other games right now but gonna go back to it before the end of summer). I've also considered getting Scholar of the First Sin, but haven't done so yet.
Yeah, in the last year or so I played:

A DSII character through NG and NG+, and the DLC
A second DSII character through NG, and the DLC
A Bloodborne character through NG and half of NG+
A second Bloodborne character half way through NG
A SOTFS character half way through NG

So in the next year I'll spend some time with SOTFS and probably finish one of my runs in Bloodborne, but I'll be ready for DSIII by the time it comes out. On the other hand most people don't play nearly that much and I can see why the amount of content coming out would be too much. Also, these games are really fun to play at launch, so I can see why that would be stressful.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Old 06-18-2015, 07:47 PM

Hmm...
Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 PM
forbidden noise

shield attacks were my number 1 favorite thing about ds2, even though they were garbage. powerstance was funny, but so was just 2-handing one shield

(mace powerstance was second because it showed how much of the rest of the game was also kind of garbage)
Old 08-04-2015, 08:09 AM
is Earnest

DS3 gameplay trailer:

Those are some big bosses. Fire weapons seem to be really important. Something about the Lord of Cinder & sacrificing. Age of fire vs. age of dark stuff.

I don't have any audio at work, is there any dialogue over the video or is it all music?

e- oh, and combat looks faster than DS 1 & 2. Maybe midway between DS and Bloodborne.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 AM
twinkling photon

They heard the complaints about all the "dude in medieval armor" bosses in DS2, so they made them bizarrely-shaped monsters in medieval armor. That's cool
Old 08-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Overheating

I dig the massive floating skull.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

The combat definitely looks faster. I think everything about this looks like it's on the right track so far.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
breaks will be mandatory.
You died. Why not take a break? You can pause the game by pressing +.

Dark Souls would be a lot more pleasant if it had some Nintendo charm injected into it.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 AM

I was hoping From would make a sci fi version of Dark Souls. Kind of like how Bethesda has Elder Scrolls and Fallout, and Bioware had Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Cyber Souls. With light sabers, deflecter shields, and phasers.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder the brave View Post
I was hoping From would make a sci fi version of Dark Souls. Kind of like how Bethesda has Elder Scrolls and Fallout, and Bioware had Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Cyber Souls. With light sabers, deflecter shields, and phasers.
Opening up new passages inside a labyrinthine space ship.

Low gravity combat on the surface of a moon.

Jumping between asteroids and fighting the space worms that live inside.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:08 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
You died. Why not take a break? You can pause the game by pressing +.

Dark Souls would be a lot more pleasant if it had some Nintendo charm injected into it.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:29 PM
A real human being

Is that real? Because that would be amazing. And kind of insulting I think.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Binglebottom

It's a fake account.

That trailer is neat.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:30 PM
100% All Original

But the Dark Souls mod that changes the death text to "THANKS OBAMA" is real, and it's amazing.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:05 PM

I do like that in DS2, you get a trophy for dieing. Although I think the number of deaths I accumulated should be worth a gold trophy.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZee View Post
The combat definitely looks faster. I think everything about this looks like it's on the right track so far.
I dunno, it looks about the same to me? Hopefully I'm wrong/you're right because that would be awesome. Anyway, yeah. Looks like a Souls game I'm gonna beat at least two or three times.

Tags
a bunch of dork souls , ahh aah crab , ahh crab , arguments about poise , bandai namco , dark as balls , dark poop 3 , dark souls , darknado 3 , die a colossus , from software , hell of dark , just make berserk from , shields are life , shieldsareforbabies , so dark , souls , sun brohan , where's armored core , you defeated , you died