The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-08-2017, 04:56 AM
one zero zero one SOS

I think I'll keep rolling with this guy.

I finished what I believe to be most or nearly all of Ashes of Ariandel. Amazing zone, but I still haven't actually beat one of its bosses. Certainly a better forest zone than DS1's Royal Wood, which I found unimpressive.

I also did the first zone of The Ringed City. I stopped for the night at the boss. Jesus Christ.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Outraged!

I finally started doing the dlc as well. Ariandel was great and I'm not sure if I like my new crow rapier or ice scythe better.

There was a guy with a summon sign at the final boss who called himself Sir Vilhelm so I assumed it was an NPC summon until he started acting all goofy. Trivialized the boss fight, unfortunately, but I gotta admire his cleverness. I wonder how many times he's been summoned?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 AM
An Animal of Joy

I once summoned a player named Iron Tarkus outside Aldritch, and he was outfitted perfectly. Makes me wish I had the foresight for that.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:15 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
I think I'll keep rolling with this guy.

I finished what I believe to be most or nearly all of Ashes of Ariandel. Amazing zone, but I still haven't actually beat one of its bosses. Certainly a better forest zone than DS1's Royal Wood, which I found unimpressive.

I also did the first zone of The Ringed City. I stopped for the night at the boss. Jesus Christ.
The Ringed City: It Gets Worse
Old 08-08-2017, 07:34 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Sitrep: Destroyed the Champion Gravetender in AoA and the Demon Prince in TRC. The latter being very, very cool. I might pump my guy up a bit more before I attempt Sister Freide again.

So far, really liking this, but The Ringed City is Souls at its most relentless. A good way to end an era methinks.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 PM
The Great

The Ringed City is good, and fun.

Second only to The Old Hunters IMO.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:41 PM
one zero zero one SOS

These DLCs don't fuck around. No fucks around here, nope.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 AM
one zero zero one SOS

...AND in a fit of taco-fuelled gumption, I beat both The Ringed City and Ashes of Ariandel last night. The former in which I was starting from the second bonfire of the second zone and the latter in which I was stonewalled at the final boss.

Scattered thoughts:

-This is some intense Dark Souls. Ashes of Ariandel is a top notch zone that probably matches up with Bloodborne's Forbidden Forest as From's best forest (I've never been hot on Royal Wood from DS1), as well as providing a nice "descending" segment and a decent rural-town area with some cute shortcuts. The Ringed City, however, is sort of a microcosm of DS3 -- pretty much a Greatest Hits collection of From's level ideas through the series. I actually really liked it, and the The Ringed City zone itself might be the prettiest environment From have ever put together. "Let's get it all in there," the team thought. "One last time, with feeling!"

-The bosses were mean, but all awesome (I still haven't fought the dragon from Ringed City). None of them too difficult for a player who has managed to reach them (TRC is borderline post-game stuff, remember) but the AoA boss is one of the hardest From have ever done. I suppose it makes sense that since the two DLCs are linked and the second one is post-game that can be accessed early by beelining the first DLC that the boss to get to him should be super hard. Or maybe the team was just feeling particularly saucy that day. Still, I read some people still think Manus from DS1 is worse. I haven't fought Manus in a long time, so I can't say, but damn Friede is tough. (Bloodborne's Orphan of Kos still gets my vote as the steepest challenge in Souls, though.)

-Do I think this is the best DLC pack to a Soulsborne game, for whatever that's worth? At the moment, no. I still think The Old Hunters gets that honour because when I replay Bloodborne I specifically look forward to doing the DLC areas (less Orphan of Kos) and finding its weapons, which I've always found a lot more compelling that DS's more standard fantasy weapons. I beat Artorias of the Abyss once and hardly ever touched it again, even on replay, so that seemed more like a light curiosity to me. I only played the Sunken King chapter of DS2's expansions, which was fine. So I'd rank AoA + TRC as #2 overall. They could get as high as a tie for first if I find I have a desire to replay them along with the rest of DS3 again soon, but I also think their lack of accessibility will make revisiting them a task in and of itself (The Old Hunters opens up after the first third of the game; AoA does too in DS3, but TRC is post-game unless you're a fucking hero and can earn a low-level win on AoA's boss).
Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 AM
The Great

Quote:
the AoA boss is one of the hardest From have ever done.
That boss can actually do very little to you if you just run away. Bait a dashing attack, roll into it, swing a couple of times, then book it. Manus is also very vulnerable to hit and run.

Almost every other boss in the franchise is too.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Chief Servbot

What? I did not find that to be true. Those ranged ice attacks did me in repeatedly. I had much better luck staying close and keeping my DPS up then trying to play keep away with that boss. Tough stuff!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 PM
The Great

When I say run away, I mean run far away. To the other side of the room. She can barely do anything at that distance, and there's such a long delay when she goes invisible and starts charging that it isn't too hard to find her. The only thing that felt kind of difficult to avoid was the homing fire trail, but sprinting perpendicular to her takes care of that.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Outraged!

I think I lost about 900,000 souls tonight trying to get from the second bonfire to the third one in the ringed city. Finally made some headway into the swamp area but still couldn't find the thing before running afoul of some donk with a big hammer. I guess I missed a doorway near the swamp entrance, oh well. Dealing with a dozen of those headless jerks is always fun.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:13 AM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I think I lost about 900,000 souls tonight trying to get from the second bonfire to the third one in the ringed city. Finally made some headway into the swamp area but still couldn't find the thing before running afoul of some donk with a big hammer. I guess I missed a doorway near the swamp entrance, oh well. Dealing with a dozen of those headless jerks is always fun.
I discovered after I had cleared that area that drop attacks pretty much one-shot them.

Which guy with a hammer are you referring to?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
I discovered after I had cleared that area that drop attacks pretty much one-shot them.

Which guy with a hammer are you referring to?
Iron dragonslayer was who killed me last, although he doesn't have a hammer. I was mixing up him and the silver knight red phantom you can run into if you explore up the ladder. He knocked me out the first time I made it to the swamp.

Yeah, I know how to one-shot those guys but picking them off one by one is tedious and I was gettting a bit impatient towards the end of the night.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Outraged!

Burned back through on my first try yesterday with no problem, of course.

I think I'm going to have to do the spear of the church boss offline. I guess I could keep trying until I get a lucky draw but I'm just not set up to deal damage to some dude in full havel armor who can one-shot me.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM
one zero zero one SOS

I got a weinie with a bow for the Spear of the Church fight. I did it in one try like it was nothing. What's the gimmick here? Old Monk callback? I don't have PS+ anymore.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Tell me about your mother

Quote:
I got a weinie with a bow for the Spear of the Church fight. I did it in one try like it was nothing. What's the gimmick here? Old Monk callback? I don't have PS+ anymore.
Yep. You have to fight a player from the Spear of the Church covenant who's been summoned for the fight. The twist this time is there's adds, and it's worse.

I actually think this was the only major low point of the Ringed City.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 PM
Outraged!

Rolled someone doable, DLC is down (sans the dragon, fuck the dragon).

Fun times, I'm gonna miss these games. Bring on something just as good, From.

Tags
a bunch of dork souls , ahh aah crab , ahh crab , arguments about poise , bandai namco , dark as balls , dark poop 3 , dark souls , darknado 3 , die a colossus , from software , hell of dark , just make berserk from , shields are life , shieldsareforbabies , so dark , souls , sun brohan , where's armored core , you defeated , you died