The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Spear of Justice

I'll go to bat for MM7 any day of the week but 8 is just. Not. Fun. Except for the cutscenes of course, those are beyond reproach

Old 08-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Chief Servbot

Mega Man 8 is better than any X game that isn't the first one

Really I think 8 is some decent Megamanning with some rough patches (some really rough). That fact that you still can't save between castle stages even with memory cards is bullshit but I guess that's a "design choice" at this point
Old 08-12-2017, 01:09 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I should be finished with MM10 some time today. I'll begrudgingly start MM8, and probably ragequit after 30 minutes of no progress at Jump Jump Slide Slide.

I did mess around a bit with the MM8 challenges. I couldn't finish the very first challenge, a stage remix because there was a part where you need the Thunder Beam and also need to open a door by firing and I could not figure out how to do it. Just thinking about it pisses me off.

Goddamn, this is going to be fantastic.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I should be finished with MM10 some time today. I'll begrudgingly start MM8, and probably ragequit after 30 minutes of no progress at Jump Jump Slide Slide.

I did mess around a bit with the MM8 challenges. I couldn't finish the very first challenge, a stage remix because there was a part where you need the Thunder Beam and also need to open a door by firing and I could not figure out how to do it. Just thinking about it pisses me off.

Goddamn, this is going to be fantastic.
You can fire a normal shot even if you have a weapon equipped. I think it's set to B on an Xbox controller (O on a PS4 controller) by default? Or it's the other way around and B is fire the special weapon.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Inkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Except for the cutscenes of course, those are beyond reproach

I needed this today thank you
Old 08-12-2017, 04:47 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
You can fire a normal shot even if you have a weapon equipped. I think it's set to B on an Xbox controller (O on a PS4 controller) by default? Or it's the other way around and B is fire the special weapon.
Yeah but it seems like the game prevented me from firing a normal shot at the same time I'm using a special weapon, which is to say I couldn't fire a normal shot and fire the special weapon at the same time. I'll have to check it again.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:04 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
I'll go to bat for MM7 any day of the week but 8 is just. Not. Fun. Except for the cutscenes of course, those are beyond reproach

Say what you will about the quality of MM8's dub, either ironically or genuinely, but I've honestly kind of actually loved Wily's voice in it.

On top of being probably the only voice in the cast that matches the character, he also seemed to be the only one having any actual fun with it. He's chewing the scenery more than any of the others, but that works because it's Dr. fucking Wily.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Say what you will about the quality of MM8's dub, either ironically or genuinely, but I've honestly kind of actually loved Wily's voice in it.

On top of being probably the only voice in the cast that matches the character, he also seemed to be the only one having any actual fun with it. He's chewing the scenery more than any of the others, but that works because it's Dr. fucking Wily.
*Wiwy
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

I've always found it cosmically cruel that Thomas Light went into the field of wobotics.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:38 PM
not talking tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
I've always found it cosmically cruel that Thomas Light went into the field of wobotics.
"Welcome to the graduate program, Thomas... Light, is it?"
"No, it's Wight."
"Light?"
"No, WIGHT."
"Right?"
"Yes, that's wight. Wight."
"I'm... just gonna put 'Light,' hope that's fine."
Old 08-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I've beaten him a couple times using only one or two energy tanks but hell if I could ever do it on a single health bar.
Inafune said they deliberately designed it to be practically impossible without an E Tank, so no shame there.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Life depends on change

Mega Man 9 is so good and is still my favorite in the series. It feels very well balanced and pretty much all the weapons are useful. I even like the Wily stages, when those usually lean a little to hard to be fun for me most of the time. I'm not good enough to beat it without E Tanks for the last fight, but I'm okay with that (the third form of the last fight is dumb and too random for my taste).

I'm going to give 10 another shot, I think. Not gonna bother with 7 or 8, those always seemed tedious to me (I'd be better off catching up with the X series than those, I think, since I've only ever played/beaten X1).
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Mega Man 10 remains my favorite of the non-NES games and the soundtrack is superior to MM9, which is more than a bit like splitting hairs because MM9 is fantastic.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiers in Rain View Post
Mega Man 8 is probably not as bad as people say, right?
Dat's a guhd kweschun.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I like the voices in MM8

I'm the guy
Ditto. They may be bad, but they're the charming kinda bad, not boring bad like Star Ocean 2's PSone dub or grating cookie cutter Y7 FV anime bad like the dubs for the Boktai games and DS Mega Man titles.

It takes a special kind of questionable casting to get Fudd Light.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM
EMOJO JOJO

Doctor Wowee is my burlesque name
Old 08-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Life depends on change

Oh right, Nitro Man's stage is bullshit, that's why I quit MM10 (beat it, but fuck trucks).
Old 08-14-2017, 06:26 PM
TARANTUL

Re: MM9 Difficulty: Tornado Man's stage killed me like three times, the positioning on the rotating platforms is just really unforgiving. Also one of those umbrella enemies hidden by a foreground cloud right outside the boss, looks like that's the only cheap death so far (I'm sure I avoided a few more).

The Wily stages actually are pretty rough, I've died a lot and they're long and don't have more than one checkpoint each (I think). Mostly I just haven't played them as much, but if there's any stretch of the game that's actually too hard Wily 2-3-4 is certainly it. The anti-gravity gimmick is still one of my favorite things in the franchise.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Half-Ninja

The secret to (most of) Tornado Man's platforms is to do a series of small hops so that you're always aligned at the top of the platforms and not constantly spinning.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:44 PM
TARANTUL

I was just rusty and messed up the spacing on the two longer jumps that require you to be on the right edge of the platform, I know exactly where and when I'm jumping/dropping on each of them to reach the next while rotating.

And yeah, the wide gap on the first set is best dealt with with two or three short hops to get to the right edge of the platform before you make the jump, unless you managed to stick the jump to it.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
The secret to (most of) Tornado Man's platforms is to do a series of small hops so that you're always aligned at the top of the platforms and not constantly spinning. use Rush Jet.

Tags
actually madhairs thread , bass is not a fish , capcom , crapcom , dakta wowee , fudd light , jump jump , literal kiss on the mouth , literal slap in the face , little metal boy , mega man , non-nintendo products , on my dreams , rereleases , slap man's stage , slide slide