The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-05-2017, 02:00 AM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Default The Other Other Legend of Mana: Egglia

Exhuminator brought this to our attention over in the Not Worth It's Own Thread thread, but I disagree - this is certainly worth its own thread. It's gorgeous, sounds great, features no micro-transactions, and is overflowing with charm. Beyond that, I think Exhuminator can say it better than I can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhuminator View Post

Those of you who are into smartphone gaming and JRPGs might be interested to know that Brownies (AKA Brownie Brown) released EGGLIA: Legend of the Redcap today. It's available on iOS and Android for $9.99.

A gameplay trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARi9obMmTVs

The website:

http://egglia.jp/eng/

I just bought it and plan to hit it up tonight.
Quote:

I put about two hours into Egglia last night, and had a good time. This game is basically Legend of Mana II, although the combat system is completely different. Combat involves grid movement with dice rolls deciding how far you can move per turn, but there's plenty of complexity available in the battle system eventually. But yeah, you get eggs which you break open to reveal new portions of the world, and place them where you like. You've got a town you build slowly by collecting things and working with NPCs. The localization is quite stellar and exceeded my expectations, very humorous game. The one thing I didn't expect is that you have to play the game online at all times. At first I was confused why that is, but then I found out there's a social system built in, where you can "follow" other players, and visit that player's own custom built house. You can send each other presents... and not much else. BUT! if anybody is playing Egglia and search for followers, my character is simply named "Ex" and my town is named "Heckberg". So far Egglia is quite fun and very polished.

To talk about the battle system for a second:

In this shot you see the grids, which define movement spaces. Your character is the swordsman with the red cap. The blue hole with rocks around it is a monster generator, so you want to attack and destroy it quick. Any space that is outlined in red holds an enemy, defeating them gains items and experience. Any space outlined in green contains a mine-able resource, in this instance a tree which will produce a type of wood. You'll notice on the bottom right there's a treasure chest, you often find treasure chests out on the field. At the top left is your character's vitals. The two portraits below him are the current NPCs you've elected to bring with you to explore with. Different NPCs produce different statistical bonuses. At the very bottom the three portraits indicate which spirits you've brought to battle. Each spirits has its own capability, some are for special attacks, heal spells, and other types of magical aid. You can level up and evolve your spirits, a tad like Pokemon I guess. The goal of exploring a field is usually to find the exit, but along the way you pick up resources and experience, in order to level up your own character, and fulfill NPC quests. It's fun stuff.
The early stages don't really show the game at its strongest because the game is in a hurry to get your town's basic amenities in place. Be sure to place your second egg next to your first egg - it unlocks a stage that shows what the game plays like when you're in a much wider space with multiple moving enemies and a monster hole that may not be within easy reach.

A thing I'm really appreciating: Spirits are, like, actual characters and not just stats with a face attached. Even though you get them through a kind-of gacha mechanic, you won't get copies, and they each have their own stories that advance as you level them up. You can "pull" them a second time, but they give you A Thing as a consolation prize. Seeing as the kind of food you prepare to lure a spirit affects the quality of spirit and the element of spirit that shows up, you've got a fair bit of control over it, too.

I don't know if it Matters beyond its face value, but you get a house and can buy Animal Crossing-esque furniture for it. Town members tend to ask for help building their own houses, too.

All-in-all, this is a fine year for Legend of Mana fans.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 08-05-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:57 AM
Smudged

I do like the idea of taking gacha mechanics and putting them in a game that isn't dedicated to extracting thousands of dollars from the clinically depressed. I'm guessing the fact that you don't keep copies means there's no dreadful inventory management/fusion?

The battle system seems a bit dull from the videos I've watched. But then Legend of Mana also has dull battles and I adore that game.

Still annoyed at the idiotic persistent-online requirement, which makes it useless as a mobile game to me.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Dead Horse Rider

A little blurb from the official site:

Follow the story of a gentle elf named Chabo, who mysteriously falls from the sky and arrives on the continent of Egglia. Uncover the mystery of Chabo and Egglia as you explore and uncover new areas of the world sealed away within eggs, and develop the world of Egglia through building houses, summoning spirits, warding off monsters and forming alliances with other races.

Egglia is developed by Brownies Inc, led by director/artist Shinichi Kameoka and background artist Koji Tsuda, with original music by acclaimed composer Yoko Shimomura. It is published by Powerchord Studio, a division of DMM.com, whose team includes veteran RPG producer Michio Okamiya. The result is a beautifully crafted RPG made in the classic style for modern mobile devices.

If I were to succinctly describe the gameplay, it'd be Legend of Mana and Animal Crossing had a baby. With the caveat that the combat is grid based with movement determined by dice rolls. I imagine this was done in favor of touch control.

I've got about five hours in Egglia at this point, and I don't have anything negative to say except the always online-connected aspect isn't ideal. I understand this was likely done as an anti-piracy measure. Although the limited "followers" community thing is kinda cool, give me all your lotto tickets! Also I've not seen any IAP or pay-to-win crap.

I can't stress enough how great the localization is with Egglia. One of the best localizations I've seen in quite some time. Very humorous and light hearted game, with oodles of well developed NPCs. I'm looking forward to seeing how the plot ultimately pans out... gotta know what happened to the protagonist's horns!
Old 08-05-2017, 07:05 AM
EMOJO JOJO

Seriously though, is a Switch port being worked on?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Still annoyed at the idiotic persistent-online requirement, which makes it useless as a mobile game to me.
Yeah, I won't be picking this up due to this. Lame.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:53 AM
noble beast

D*ng that witch has a good nose.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I can't stress enough how great the localization is with Egglia. One of the best localizations I've seen in quite some time. Very humorous and light hearted game, with oodles of well developed NPCs. I'm looking forward to seeing how the plot ultimately pans out... gotta know what happened to the protagonist's horns!
Yep, I was pretty amazed when the first three spirits had a conversation about where the heavy metal umlaut should go in their band name. Also, I love how your plant buddy freaks out because every other person you meet says they're a vegetarian. Apparently your plant buddy is zesty, crisp, and refreshing. Also also, I love that the game gave me the option to tell Brown to "Get Bent" immediately upon meeting him. You can be surprisingly sassy for someone that had the evil taken out of them.

I'd almost want to say it's the Redcap's fault the world broke, and he lost his horns doing that. I mean, we know the world broke because of the Ogre war, but we don't know exactly how... On the other hand, I feel like Brownies aren't that generic of a developer? It would be cool if he lost them doing a good deed despite his horns.

Here's a neat feature: placing some locations next to specific other locations unlocks new stuff, kind of like the treasures in FFTA and Legend of Mana. But! In Egglia, you can find / earn Eggshells that let you move the world around, so you can't be permanently locked out of cool stuff.

I really hope there's a Link Rune that gives you like +1 to movement or something so rolling a one isn't so frustrating.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 08-05-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I really hope there's a Link Rune that gives you like +1 to movement or something so rolling a one isn't so frustrating.
Yeah the dice movement I can take or leave, but I do wish there was an option to disable double tapping a space to authenticate movement. I just want to press it once and go.

I think the whole upgrading/evolving your spirit aids thing is cool. I've been spending time on that with the seeds and crystals. The spirits stuff reminds me of the Djinns from Golden Sun. Useful little buggers, and I appreciate that they have unique personalities.

If anyone would like to add me to their list of followers, my User ID is:

E780675799999

Under the Friends section of the menu, there is a search tab to put in User IDs and find people directly. If anybody posts their User ID here, I'll follow you. Gotta get them delicious lotto tickets!
Old 08-05-2017, 02:10 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
ah the symbiotic relationship between mobile developers and service providers
Old 08-05-2017, 02:57 PM

My User ID is E282118640571.

I got a really awesome spirit: Narses. He's a water spirit and I wish I could use BOTH his assault and support spells - His assault hits three dudes in a straight line, which has made combat a lot more tactical beyond "just tank hits." And his support is a heal that guarantees your next die rolled lands on 4, 5, or 6. Seeing as your die roll also affects your damage, that's a big deal in a fight!

Also, here's a neat thing: any time you need a pile of items (i.e. every quest ever, furniture, food), you can tap on the exclamation mark next to that item, and the game will tell you where you can find that.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 08-05-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
My User ID is E282118640571
OK, added you and sent a lotto ticket. Have fun cashing it in!
Quote:
you can tap on the exclamation mark next to that item, and the game will tell you where you can find that.
Nice ProTip. Here's one you might not know... if you visit someone else's house, and click on their avatar, their avatar will recite their current catchphrase, and then give you an item for free. Sometimes you get rare items as it's random. I've gotten all kinds of cool stuff by visiting folks places.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:09 AM

I really want to share Baba and Yaga's theme here, but I can't, because the OST isn't on YouTube. Rest assured it's amazing. As are Baba and Yaga. They're gremlins that are doing the whole Pinky and the Brain thing, but instead of convoluted plots, they're using the power of capitalism. They have a Grimoire of Capitalism. No, really.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:07 AM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Seriously though, is a Switch port being worked on?
Having played a bit now, I seriously doubt it. It's a mobile game through and through. The difference is they looked at Japanese f2p tropes, sanded away the misery, and turned them into interlocking game systems designed to keep you playing instead of extract hundreds of dollars from you. If you ever enjoyed a gacha game and wanted to play a version without all the garbage, Egglia's for you. Supposedly it did very well in Japan so hopefully it kicks off a trend of less exploitative Japanese mobile games.

The serif-infested font is awful, though. I'm also finding the main cast a bit dull, other than BabaYaga, who are delightful. The Spirits are a lot of fun.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
I'm also finding the main cast a bit dull, other than BabaYaga, who are delightful. The Spirits are a lot of fun.
There are tons of NPCs that eventually unlock, I think it's likely you'll find more NPCs you enjoy if you keep playing.

Last night I unlocked a demonic spirit by feeding spicy curry to a flower. He keeps freaking out about his third eye opening every time I level him up with country grown vegetables. I can't wait to shove shadow crystals up his butt and see what he evolves into.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Smudged

My ID is E821011344311
Old 08-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
My ID is E821011344311
I followed ya and sent a ticket.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 PM

e262403853236
Old 08-07-2017, 11:47 AM
TARANTUL

How does this play on a phone instead of a tablet?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
How does this play on a phone instead of a tablet?
It plays perfectly fine. Or at least it does on my Droid Turbo 2. Buttons and font sizes work well for a smaller display than a tablet. You just have to have a constant internet connection is all. I tend to play this at home with my phone connected to the internet over wi-fi instead of cellular data.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Hmm, now I wonder if my old Tegra 3-based tablet could handle it... well, if not, still have my phone. I'm this close to giving in and buying it. (I'm also trying to chip away at Miles Edgeworth: AAI, so I've been reticent to pick up anything else yet.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic View Post
e262403853236
Followed, lotto ticket sent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I'm this close to giving in and buying it.
Right now I'm level 20 and have put about 7 hours into the game. I already feel I've gotten my $9.99 out of the experience, and I'm not tired of it yet. Now keep in mind this is Legend of Mana meets Animal Crossing, with dice based grid movement and turn based battling. If that sounds fun, then hop on board.

I'm not sure how to beat the game yet. There's definitely a continuing narrative that proceeds every time you unlock a new piece of land, and right now I'm thinking to beat the game, you'll need to unlock all of them and beat some final boss. I've run across a few bosses in the game already, all areas' second set of stages have them at least.

I also bet that once you "beat" the game, you can continue playing it, and evolving your town and relationships with NPCs. One could certainly sink tons of hours into maxing out everything there is.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Smudged

Quote:
You just have to have a constant internet connection is all.
Worth noting that this is as annoying as it sounds. When you're in town it connects after everything you do, and if your connection isn't stellar the game slows to a crawl.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 PM

Yeeeesssss! I put together one of the Dice Roll Up Link Runes, Vainglory. It's Gasparbag (Fire) + Mervicella (Light), both early-game spirits. There are apparently quite a few Dice Roll Up Link Runes. I've got half the parts for at least 4 sets, and most of them are only two spirits, so they're fairly easy to piece together. A nice feature: Once you have any part of a Link Rune, you can see the rarity and element of the other pieces, so you can focus on making food that will attract spirits that match those. It's very easy to go from "I need X" to "I have X." Something that you generally can't say for money-vacuum gacha systems.

Also: When feeding your spirits potatoes, pay attention to the little crystal things. If a potato has a crystal on it, it's the favorite food for your currently selected spirit. Feed a spirit three of its favorite potato, and their skill level goes up. Skill levels make your skills more powerful, but more importantly, cheaper. Being able to bust out a special attack more frequently could mean the difference between winning or losing a fight with a powerful monster.

EDIT: Man, Gasparbag and Mervicella are super good! Gasparbag's Assault can cause Burn, and Mervicella's Support is a heal that also grants Hum - Egglia's regen status.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 08-11-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Not a Beer

Man, I hate to whinge, but... I really wish I could play this on something not-my-phone. Aside from the fact that I'm 100% sure I don't have the storage space for it, my phone's screen is literally 1/3 the size of those nice screenshots in the OP. Even if the interface is smart enough that it's technically playable at that size, I'm not real keen on the idea of squinting at all that gorgeous artwork.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:23 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Man, I hate to whinge, but... I really wish I could play this on something not-my-phone. Aside from the fact that I'm 100% sure I don't have the storage space for it, my phone's screen is literally 1/3 the size of those nice screenshots in the OP. Even if the interface is smart enough that it's technically playable at that size, I'm not real keen on the idea of squinting at all that gorgeous artwork.
Buy a legit copy and then pirate the apk on Bluestacks or something is what I'd do.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 PM

For real: this game feels like it could work pretty well with a mouse.

They'd probably have to rework the town for a controller, though. It'd be cool to actually get to walk around your town and the houses.

Tags
brownies , i'll fish you like a gut