The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-12-2017, 05:13 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Ouch. At my house, provided homework and chores were done, my mom let me play video games for as little or as long as I wanted, until bedtime during the week and just to whenever on the weekends.

I now wonder if that's where my tendency to binge games comes from. Those "You've been playing for a while; consider taking a break" messages that you sometimes see still elicit a chuckle.
That 1 hour a day rule got followed exactly as strenuously as my mom remembered to set a time when we started playing. There was some jockeying between brothers as to who played first, since if you went first the person going after you was watching the clock, where the last player generally got to keep going until forced to stop. But the last player might also get cut off early for some unforeseen parental whim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Never had a rule like that, but playing games with my older brother are some of the best memories I have. We'd take turns, read out all the dialogue with character voices straight out of anime dubs and have a fantastic time. I did this from my earliest memories up until I moved out of my Mom's place.

Major nostalgia.
A big part of it for me, right now, is that I just moved about 4 hours away from the rest of my family. I haven't lived in the same house as my brother for more than a decade, but we've generally lived no more than a 20 minute drive away from each other. I spent a lot of my time this summer watching his 2 year old kid. The situation is really setting me up to wallow in the nostalgia a little bit.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 PM

My brother and I did the exact same thing. One-hour limits, so often we'd give our time to the other during sessions and plow through stuff as best we could. Having games with saves or a password was a huge help. I remember trading off with him to beat Blaster Master. I don't know that I've beaten it since then, either.

(I might have also sneaked some time in occasionally on a little black & white TV I picked up at a yard sale for $10. Yes, for the longest, all my NES gaming was done on a B&W TV. When the bro and I finally got our own color TV, it was a revelation.)
Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 AM
Gesundheit!

Mine wasn't just a one-hour limit, but one hour on three specific days of the week. Honestly it was a good idea, I had enough trouble keeping on task and getting my homework done in elementary school as it was.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
My brother and I did the exact same thing. One-hour limits, so often we'd give our time to the other during sessions and plow through stuff as best we could. Having games with saves or a password was a huge help. I remember trading off with him to beat Blaster Master. I don't know that I've beaten it since then, either.

(I might have also sneaked some time in occasionally on a little black & white TV I picked up at a yard sale for $10. Yes, for the longest, all my NES gaming was done on a B&W TV. When the bro and I finally got our own color TV, it was a revelation.)
We did the same. For a while our rule was one weekend (unlimited) every three months, then when we got older it was 20 minutes a day. Naturally my brother and I tag -teamed every minute of both of our allotments.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Antifa Lockhart

I'm only just properly sinking my teeth into Maldita Castilla EX, having played through the original a few years ago. It's very good. This version has two new levels, making an already lengthy game a real marathon (I seem to be accusing everything of being overlong lately - sorry), but I've heard the new sections are some of the best. Despite its clear visual debt to Ghosts 'n' Goblins, I've always found the gameplay draws more substantially from Castlevania...
Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 AM
-ryn

I started Pillars of Eternity this weekend. I never played any of the Baldur's Gate games or anything. Probably the closest game I've played to this is NWN.

The character creator was nice. Lots of interesting choices for both flavor and mechanics. The maps are really good looking and have been fun to explore so far.

The combat has been challenging. I really like the endurance/health mechanic now that I understand it. Endurance is basically your health for a single encounter and resets after each fight while health is how long you can go before you need to make camp or go to an inn. Going to 0 endurance knocks you out of a fight. As long as the rest of the team can pull through, you get back up and keep going.

I've been in a couple encounters where the monsters have a way to get past my front line and the wizard can take about one hit. Suddenly emergency buttons like status effects become key. Its a fun challenge to try and use good tactics to win fights without using too many resources.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I too went in to Pillars with zero Infinity Engine experience and ended up 100%-ing it and loving it. It does drag a bit in the middle, though. I hope you enjoy it!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 AM

I really liked Pillars. I too had no experience of that kind but it let me import Channing Tatum pictures and play as the paladin Channing Tatum so, uh, obviously it is a great game.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:16 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Let's see what all of this Trails in the Sky nonsense is about. I could use a warm JRPG bath. We'll see if I decide to make it a short bath or a 100-hour bath.

I was immediately confronted with a difficulty selector and panicked, but turtle talked me down and advised Normal, so Normal it is.

I've only played through the training mission so far. It's very talky-talk, which I was led to expect, but it's been relaxing and charming. "Orbment" is a very silly word. It gets to my tongue, then gets stuck there and dies painfully.

The orbment systems and the battle system are both surprisingly unintuitive, but I think I'm starting to get a handle on both. This game seems to have a lot of systems. The training mission tutorial framing device was very necessary.

Anyway, it's cute so far. Looking forward to more.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Dead Horse Rider

Started playing Radia Senki: Reimmeihen AKA Chronicle of the Radia War for NES last night. I played it for about two hours and had a good time. Very impressive game systems regarding their complexity given the platform. I see a lot of potential here.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
The metal babble flees!

This is my perfect thread because I start lots of games but don't often finish them.
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
does the Underpants Dance

I started playing Eternal, a digital card game from a game company I once applied for a job at. They also made the Elder Scrolls card game that I and I only ever played. Anyway, Eternal is an original IP and it's basically Magic: The Gathering. I know people might say that about a lot of other TCGs, but this game is Magic with generic flavor and mediocre voice acting: it's got mana cards you have to play, combat is the exact same as Magic instead of cribbing from Hearthstone, there's 4 copies max of a card, there's 5 colors, it's got sort-of instant-speed spells (though I don't think it can support something like a counterspell, they're all basically combat tricks you can play in response to things). The biggest difference between it and Magic is this game includes some mechanics from Hearthstone like weapons your avatar can equip. But otherwise everything is all there: Flying, Vigilance, Lifelink, First Strike, Flash, "when X dies," Miracle, etc.

I don't know if this is an endorsement. I suppose not because it really bugs me how derivative it all feels.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
Yes, let's feast!

The company behind Eternal also made the board game Clank!, which is pretty good.

Eternal is a MtG-like that's more MtG-like than Hearthstone. You have the MtG mana ramping, and creature damage doesn't persist between turns.

It has a few cool mechanics that take advantage of the digital format; for example, the "Echo" keyword duplicates the card when it enters your hand, and creatures don't reset when they hit your graveyard. So let's say you play a creature with Echo and give it +2/+2 somehow. When it later dies, you can play the card that draws it from your graveyard and gives it +1/+1, and you will have two +3/+3 copies of the card. There's also the "Warcry" keyword, which gives +1/+1 to the top creature/weapon in your deck (i.e. a card you haven't drawn yet). I like that mechanic, and it also combos well with Echo.

I haven't played too terribly much of it so far; my impression is that resetting a creature's toughness at the end of each turn is the major difference between MtG and Hearthstone, and taking that away makes matches much longer. If that sounds like a good thing to you, I'd recommend giving it a look. If nothing else, it's got a way better interface than MTGO (and it's free).
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I haven't played too terribly much of it so far; my impression is that resetting a creature's toughness at the end of each turn is the major difference between MtG and Hearthstone, and taking that away makes matches much longer. If that sounds like a good thing to you, I'd recommend giving it a look. If nothing else, it's got a way better interface than MTGO (and it's free).
The biggest difference in magic vs. hearthstone is that the defender in magic determines what blocks what (vs. attacking things in hearthstone) and that they have instants they can potentially play during the other player's turn.

Can you do anything during the opponent's turns in Eternal? That is, by far, the biggest speed difference between the two games, in MTG all players need to say "ok" to everything.
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Yes, let's feast!

You have a very limited selection of instants ("Fast Spells") in Eternal, but they do at least exist.

You also declare attackers/blockers MtG-style.
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
TARANTUL

So do you need to respond with "I won't use a fast spell" every time an opponent does something?
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pretty much. I haven't played PvP, so I don't know how it works there, but in PvE, there's no prompt if you don't have a response in your hand. It does similar streamlining for blockers and so forth, eliminating the "yes yes go ahead" prompts when you have no options.