The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

And it starts with Hitler on a terlet. Actually, that's all I know about it. I really got to read it one of these days. I only read the first couple issues of Multiversity and then left for comicless lands.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 PM
Minty Fresh

The only chunk of Multiversity I read was Pax Americana because seeing at least a glimpse of Charleton Watchmen was too cool to pass up. The version I got had writer's notes and some of the setting details that didn't make it in the panels. Also, kind of a sucker for 9 panel layout. (And anything with Ted Kord in it let's be honest here.)

I did pick up the guide to the Multiversity mostly for the universe map, but the pages detailing all the Earth-Whatevers was neat too. I didn't realize that there were a few that hadn't been detailed yet and just listed as "lol dunno who's here maybe one of these days"
Old 08-16-2017, 04:56 AM
Mystery Contraption

Been reading through Batman Adventures and, first off, it's great. It's like an extra few seasons of TAS I didn't know existed (though Scarecrow is disappointingly kind of lame in it).

Second, not only does it have one of the best Riddler stories I've ever read early on, but that same issue introduced The Terrible Trio, comic original villains and they, almost immediately, became my favourite Batman villains ever. Even without knowing their inspiration they're great. Knowing it makes them even better.

Mr. Nice especially. Dude skyrocketed up to being one of my favourite super villains immediately.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Kurt Busiek's working on Batman: Creature of the Night, which sounds like the Batman equivalent to Superman: Secret Identity

Quote:
Young Bruce Wainwright lost his parents in a violent crime…and in the real world, no superheroes exist to save the day. But as grief and rage builds inside Bruce until he feels he can’t keep it inside anymore, something strange starts taking wing in the Gotham night! Perhaps Bruce’s grief isn’t inside him after all?
I don't think the approach is quite as radical or exciting here— "realistic Batman" is something that comics and movies have been doing for decades, even if not this literal— but Secret Identity is the best damn Superman story ever told, so I'm interested to see what Busiek has in store.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

Mr. Nice especially. Dude skyrocketed up to being one of my favourite super villains immediately.
I haven't read it myself, but apparently there is a sweet, touching issue that bids one of them farewell.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Safe Space

Twitter thread about DC's branding of Harley Quinn vis-a-vis "good girl art"
Old 08-18-2017, 04:14 AM

I get that argument, but like, Harley Quinn is first and foremost the enduring legacy of Batman TAS. Her roots as a character is being in a for-kids production. I don't think it's the worst idea.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:21 AM
Goodbye!

Yeah, lots of good arguments there, but the idea that these characters can't, or at least shouldn't, be for kids and adults in different series is a bit complicated by the fact that that's sort of been the legacy of comics for the last thirty years. Heck, just the fact that The Brave and The Bold can exist alongside Nolan's Batman films is testament to that. In many ways the strength of comic book characters is their tonal adaptability.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 AM
100% All Original

The more DC pulls Harley back from being a "sexy" murderous psychopath the happier I'll be. More Harley and Ivy as wacky roommates/couple please!

Tags
chortle at joker's boner , clark kent is sup-*bang* , comics , detective comics , detective comics comics , just read mark waid books , superman is worst hero , tales from the krypton